PDA

View Full Version : Another school shooting....

rock on sooner
10/24/2014, 02:44 PM
this time in a high school in Marysville, WA...2 dead (including the shooter)
and four wounded, three listed as critical...CNN is covering...

IGotNoTiming
10/24/2014, 03:15 PM
Is anyone tired of this? I am not a gun owner. I am in full support of gun ownership but I would love to hear from gun owners on what your solution would be to prevent this or do you feel your rights to ownership trump innocent lives being lost. I am not trolling on this I would like to hear some thoughts...

mojorisen2014
10/24/2014, 03:21 PM
Guns isn't the problem. It's crazy *** kids

IGotNoTiming
10/24/2014, 03:42 PM

I heard that time and time again. Should the parents be held responsible?
So that's it? Guns aren't the problem crazy *** kids are the problem?

No disrespect intended but that sounds like a cop out....

8timechamps
10/24/2014, 04:09 PM
Is anyone tired of this? I am not a gun owner. I am in full support of gun ownership but I would love to hear from gun owners on what your solution would be to prevent this or do you feel your rights to ownership trump innocent lives being lost. I am not trolling on this I would like to hear some thoughts...

I'm a gun owner (and a father), and I'm equally tired of this **** happening.

First, (and I'm repeating what you've heard) Guns are not the problem. Look no further back than yesterday, in Canada. Crazy people are the problem, and a lot of that is on the parents (in these school shootings).

I live in Colorado, and was living here when Columbine happened. At the time, I worked about a block from the school and knew many people (both students and families) that were affected. It didn't take long to realize that the parents of the two shooters had little, to no involvement in their children's lives. The entire plot originated, was planned, staged and eventually executed from one of the shooter's basements. This all happened under the nose of the parents. I'm sorry, but if you don't know what your kids are involved in, especially in high school, you're a bad parent. Had one of the four parents taken any time to connect with the shooters, they would have realized pretty quickly that something was off. That brings me to my second point...

The mental health care system in this country is terrible. I don't know how to fix it (or even begin to fix it), but if you look back at every one of these school shootings, it's clear that the shooters were very disturbed, and even in the cases when someone knew (the Aurora Theater Shooting), no action was taken. It's almost a "it's not my problem, someone else will take care of it" issue.

The vast majority of law abiding gun owners in this country aren't the problem. The guns aren't the problem. Bad parenting, and a poor mental health system are, at the very least, a part of the problem.

IGotNoTiming
10/24/2014, 04:50 PM
"The vast majority of law abiding gun owners in this country aren't the problem. The guns aren't the problem. Bad parenting, and a poor mental health system are, at the very least, a part of the problem."

Everything you said hits home. Should parents be held responsible when their kid goes off?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2014, 05:12 PM
Prayers for the families of those lost.

olevetonahill
10/24/2014, 06:12 PM
Its an Instant world we live in now. I think a Good portion of the blame should land square on the back of the news media. Its a Many edged sword. Depriving any group of their rights for the safty of a few is insane where do we stop that? People Hijacked planes and Killed thousands I know lets just stop people from gettin on planes

There is NO cure for crazymotherfu*keritis. And Yes if the Kid is under 18 and living at Home Hold the Parents equally responsible. Ya have Kids that are sick in the Head you best be Locking yer guns up its that simple.

olevetonahill
10/24/2014, 06:15 PM
Prayers for the families of those lost.

This.

mojorisen2014
10/24/2014, 06:27 PM

I heard that time and time again. Should the parents be held responsible?
So that's it? Guns aren't the problem crazy *** kids are the problem?

No disrespect intended but that sounds like a cop out....pretty much. I don't recall school shootings growing up in the 80's and I'm pretty sure America had guns way back then.

olevetonahill
10/24/2014, 06:48 PM
pretty much. I don't recall school shootings growing up in the 80's and I'm pretty sure America had guns way back then.

Heh, in the 60s we even carried concealed water pistols LOL

okiewaker
10/24/2014, 06:57 PM
Lotsa shat went south after the 60's

rock on sooner
10/24/2014, 07:15 PM
Its an Instant world we live in now. I think a Good portion of the blame should land square on the back of the news media. Its a Many edged sword. Depriving any group of their rights for the safty of a few is insane where do we stop that? People Hijacked planes and Killed thousands I know lets just stop people from gettin on planes

There is NO cure for crazymotherfu*keritis. And Yes if the Kid is under 18 and living at Home Hold the Parents equally responsible. Ya have Kids that are sick in the Head you best be Locking yer guns up its that simple.

Normally, I find the media is reasonably fair in reporting SOME of this stuff...but I
listened closely to CNN for almost 2 1/2 hours..the idiot named Blitzer conducted one
of the most crappy interviews of a teenager that I have ever heard. He put words in
this impressionable girl's mouth...inaccurate ones, I might add...just so irresponsible.
I don't hold with the MSM media stuff, especially in light of "fair and balanced" gospel
from the Murdoch boys, but, I think Vet might have said it just right with "the backs
of the media"...at least CNN, in this case. They rushed to put police on the air that
had NOTHING to add, "I don't know", " I'll have that for you at five" and so on...all
just trying to be first! So many contradictions, it's no wonder there's confusion!

After all that, so much hurt for the families...may God bless...!

olevetonahill
10/24/2014, 07:23 PM
Normally, I find the media is reasonably fair in reporting SOME of this stuff...but I
listened closely to CNN for almost 2 1/2 hours..the idiot named Blitzer conducted one
of the most crappy interviews of a teenager that I have ever heard. He put words in
this impressionable girl's mouth...inaccurate ones, I might add...just so irresponsible.
I don't hold with the MSM media stuff, especially in light of "fair and balanced" gospel
from the Murdoch boys, but, I think Vet might have said it just right with "the backs
of the media"...at least CNN, in this case. They rushed to put police on the air that
had NOTHING to add, "I don't know", " I'll have that for you at five" and so on...all
just trying to be first! So many contradictions, it's no wonder there's confusion!

After all that, so much hurt for the families...may God bless...!

Thats my point bro, we used to have the Huntley/ Brinkley report. they used Integrity not sensationalism

There are now so many staitions and so manu reporters tryin to ONE up the other. Seems the Kids are imitating them in trying to out Crazy the last crazy kid .

8timechamps
10/24/2014, 08:29 PM
"The vast majority of law abiding gun owners in this country aren't the problem. The guns aren't the problem. Bad parenting, and a poor mental health system are, at the very least, a part of the problem."

Everything you said hits home. Should parents be held responsible when their kid goes off?

Yes, although I'm not sure to what extent. It would probably have to vary on a case by case basis.

8timechamps
10/24/2014, 08:32 PM

Just yesterday, a hatchet welding idiot in NYC attacked two NYC police officers. One is in critical condition. The point being...if it's not guns, it'll be something else. I also recall a college kid killing his dad (who was a professor) with a bow and arrow. Even if there were no guns, these things would continue to happen.

Soonerjeepman
10/25/2014, 12:08 AM
The vast majority of law abiding gun owners in this country aren't the problem. The guns aren't the problem. Bad parenting, and a poor mental health system are, at the very least, a part of the problem.

ummm...I'd say 99.999% of them...vast majority doesn't do justice.

I own guns, I'm a teacher, I have kids....

The horror stories of how some kids are being raised that I could tell you....parents are responsible. The societal problem of "responsibility" is at an all-time high...IMHO. It's never "my" fault....

I also agree the mental health care system....and child welfare is totally a joke.

Guns don't kill people...PEOPLE kill people.

Soonerjeepman
10/25/2014, 12:10 AM
Lotsa shat went south after the 60's

bingo