PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown to SMU?

8timechamps
10/24/2014, 01:08 PM
I know this has been mentioned before on here, but I just read a piece in the Daily Oklahoman that mentioned a report (rumor) that SMU had offered Brown $4 million to coach the Mustangs...supposedly, it would be an 8 year deal.

The only reason I mention this is because it could affect OU. Mack has always been able to recruit, and if ends up at SMU, it's not crazy to think he could put SMU into the thick of Texas recruiting. I don't think it would really hurt OU, but it would make waves.

My hope is that Brown takes the job, gets SMU respectable again, and at the same time Strong struggles at Texas. I would take so much delight in watching that unfold.

badger
10/24/2014, 02:04 PM
Since they're both ex-Conference USA program and both current AAC programs, let's look at the Tulsa situation:

Lost a highly paid coach with a good record in Todd Graham and before him, Steve Kragthorpe... but replaced him with a local HS success on the cheap (by FBS college football standards)

While getting a C-USA title a few years ago, is now on the ESPN Bottom 10's list (with SMU, yes) with a 1-6 record, a six-game losing streak that started with hosting OU back in September, one rainy morning/afternoon.

So, SMU can go the Tulsa route: Go cheap and continue fielding a team and hope for the best... or they can try to recapture past glories and impersonate a big boy conference team with a big name coach and paycheck to match.

Quite frankly, they're going to get about the same record either way, except one involves spending $32 million in 8 years on Mack Brown, and the other involves spending $700K annually on a Bill Blankenship type.

BUT... if you are desperate to recapture the Pony Express, by all means give it your best shot if you have the means. But, be forewarned: Your storybook fairytale ends with the death penalty.

Tear Down This Wall
10/24/2014, 02:13 PM
Now that schools are going to be allowed to do legally what they gave the Ponies the death penalty for all those years ago - paying players - then, why not hire Mack? We already know the SMU alumni are wealthy enough to pay the players.

SMU could get good really quickly. Mack already has an established relationship with Texas high school coaches. SMU has the alumni cash for the new era of giving cash to players.

It's a good fit.

tycat947
10/24/2014, 02:38 PM
Since they're both ex-Conference USA program and both current AAC programs, let's look at the Tulsa situation:

Lost a highly paid coach with a good record in Todd Graham and before him, Steve Kragthorpe... but replaced him with a local HS success on the cheap (by FBS college football standards)

While getting a C-USA title a few years ago, is now on the ESPN Bottom 10's list (with SMU, yes) with a 1-6 record, a six-game losing streak that started with hosting OU back in September, one rainy morning/afternoon.

So, SMU can go the Tulsa route: Go cheap and continue fielding a team and hope for the best... or they can try to recapture past glories and impersonate a big boy conference team with a big name coach and paycheck to match.

Quite frankly, they're going to get about the same record either way, except one involves spending $32 million in 8 years on Mack Brown, and the other involves spending $700K annually on a Bill Blankenship type.

BUT... if you are desperate to recapture the Pony Express, by all means give it your best shot if you have the means. But, be forewarned: Your storybook fairytale ends with the death penalty.

I believe the only reason TU went that cheap is because Blankenship is TU alum and they wouldn't have to pay much for him to take the job and then secondly, ANYONE they hire (football OR basketball) and is successful, is leaving on the first train outta town, regardless of how much they pay.

SoonerorLater
10/24/2014, 02:48 PM
I wonder if SMU is gearing up to make a run to get into the New SW Conference, er I mean the Big 12.

tycat947
10/24/2014, 02:50 PM
I wonder if SMU is gearing up to make a run to get into the New SW Conference, er I mean the Big 12.

We have at least 2 too many teams from Texas already. We don't need ANYMORE at all!

swardboy
10/24/2014, 03:26 PM
but SMU is from the state of Highland Park.

badger
10/24/2014, 03:28 PM

If we really needed to get to 12, SMU and other Texas schools that aren't already in the power five are not going to be a good fit and have not done anything to warrant a bump up from where they are.

By comparison, TCU expanded their stadium to 45K (with record attendance over 50K) and won a Rose Bowl. When another mid-major does something comparable, give the Big 12 a call.

rock on sooner
10/24/2014, 03:47 PM
I've mentioned this before, I'd like to see Colorado State come to the
conference. McElwain is doing a good job with the football team, they
have a pretty good basketball team, a good volleyball team and Fort
Collins is a top USA beer town! Beer aside, great college town and
spectacular scenery out the back door...it'd be a great road trip, imo.
Full disclosure, my wife is a CSU alum, I met and married here there
and both my kids were born there.....don't know about a 2nd school,
maybe AF Academy or Wyoming(?).

Gee, we haven't had an expansion thread in a long time.....

stoops the eternal pimp
10/24/2014, 03:52 PM
SMU AD says no talk with Mack

8timechamps
10/24/2014, 03:56 PM

*wink* *wink*

rock on sooner
10/24/2014, 04:35 PM
*wink* *wink*

Heh...

badger
10/24/2014, 04:48 PM

SMU AD Mack Brown checklist:

YES: Email
YES: Twitter
YES: Facebook
YES: Rap music mix tape sent so he can relate to his players
YES: Cancel all plans to ever play OU
NO: Talk

EatLeadCommie
10/24/2014, 04:54 PM
I've mentioned this before, I'd like to see Colorado State come to the
conference. McElwain is doing a good job with the football team, they
have a pretty good basketball team, a good volleyball team and Fort
Collins is a top USA beer town! Beer aside, great college town and
spectacular scenery out the back door...it'd be a great road trip, imo.
Full disclosure, my wife is a CSU alum, I met and married here there
and both my kids were born there.....don't know about a 2nd school,
maybe AF Academy or Wyoming(?).

Gee, we haven't had an expansion thread in a long time.....

It would be a better option than another Texas team.

Eielson
10/24/2014, 05:52 PM
SMU AD Mack Brown checklist:

YES: Email
YES: Twitter
YES: Facebook
YES: Rap music mix tape sent so he can relate to his players
YES: Cancel all plans to ever play OU
NO: Talk

SMU's AD talked to his phone, and Mack Brown talked to his phone. Reports of them talking to each other are false. They were miles away.

bluedogok
10/24/2014, 10:45 PM
I believe the only reason TU went that cheap is because Blankenship is TU alum and they wouldn't have to pay much for him to take the job and then secondly, ANYONE they hire (football OR basketball) and is successful, is leaving on the first train outta town, regardless of how much they pay.
Didn't they have an AD change and the new AD got tired of hiring coaches? Just like when they hired Phillips as basketball coach?

There is no reason why SMU can't be competitive in their conference if they hire the right person. I don't expect them to challenge for the playoff but they can be a good enough program to win the AAC. Tulsa did when they had good staffs.

tycat947
10/24/2014, 10:58 PM
Didn't they have an AD change and the new AD got tired of hiring coaches? Just like when they hired Phillips as basketball coach?

There is no reason why SMU can't be competitive in their conference if they hire the right person. I don't expect them to challenge for the playoff but they can be a good enough program to win the AAC. Tulsa did when they had good staffs.

You are probably correct but I don't know if the same AD hired Phillips and Blankenship, although both would pretty much stay forever if they were successful. Phillips wasn't and I'm afraid Blankenship won't be there too long.

BigTip
10/25/2014, 09:19 AM
. Mack has always been able to recruit, .

I use to say this too. "Great recruiter, bad coach." But I don't believe it anymore. Yes, he always wound up with a great recruiting class. But I think it was more of him picking and choosing, "yes, you can come to texass" as opposed to him convincing an on the fence guy to come. Like the door man behind the velvet rope at the popular club. Lots of people want to come in. It's just a matter of pointing and saying, "you."

And he had some notable mistakes in who he chose as well. RG3 for example.

So he would have a much tougher row to hoe at SMU. He would be like the doorman at the new but not popular club, with a velvet rope outside and everything, but no crowd milling about wanting to get in.

Widescreen
10/25/2014, 09:25 AM

Yes, hiring the local high school coach is the easy choice for TU but the results appear to be the same. So they have to decide if they'd rather having a coaching carousel and potential success, or coaching stability and bad teams.

okiewaker
10/25/2014, 09:18 PM
Whatever,,,if ole affletoof goes to SMU, good for him. IMO he will get some Texas recruits, not many, just a some,,,,ya know, like all the ones Baylor and TCU get, the leftovers.

8timechamps
10/25/2014, 09:27 PM
I use to say this too. "Great recruiter, bad coach." But I don't believe it anymore. Yes, he always wound up with a great recruiting class. But I think it was more of him picking and choosing, "yes, you can come to texass" as opposed to him convincing an on the fence guy to come. Like the door man behind the velvet rope at the popular club. Lots of people want to come in. It's just a matter of pointing and saying, "you."

And he had some notable mistakes in who he chose as well. RG3 for example.

So he would have a much tougher row to hoe at SMU. He would be like the doorman at the new but not popular club, with a velvet rope outside and everything, but no crowd milling about wanting to get in.

No doubt it would be a much tougher task to get kids to SMU (as opposed to Texas). I still think Brown was one heck of a recruiter, and with the exception of Briles, has the best connection to Texas High School football in the country. Texas is always going to get their pick, and A&M is inching closer to that too. After that, it's a free for all. SMU isn't going to steal recruits from Texas or A&M or OU, but they can greatly step up the quality of recruit because of Mack. SMU could, with the right changes, be just as successful as TCU someday. But it'll take getting a coach that knows Texas high school football, and AD willing to do what it takes and an alumni base willing to spend the money. It would have to be a perfect storm of sorts, but if it is to happen, getting the right guy in to coach is paramount to the rest.

Jacie
10/26/2014, 10:20 AM
. . . it takes . . . an alumni base willing to spend the money.

That has never been an issue for the Mustangs.

Curly Bill
10/26/2014, 12:32 PM
No! No! No! SMU needs to hire Josh Heupel!

Pony Fan
10/26/2014, 02:40 PM
As noted by my name on here, I am an SMU grad, but an OU football season ticket holder. I see no way that SMU will ever hire Mack Brown. The profile they are targeting is young coordinator that has great experience recruiting in Texas. The last guy SMU hired came and retired, but forgot to tell anyone.

Therealsouthsider
10/26/2014, 04:37 PM
....solution, Mack Brown A.D., and Craig James Head Football Coach

....that is all

ss

badger
10/27/2014, 08:46 AM
No! No! No! SMU needs to hire Josh Heupel!

Chill bro. Kansas needs a new HC too. Smoo doesn't ride the heupel express Kooo can instead