PDA

View Full Version : K-State loss/game thoughts

8timechamps
10/18/2014, 04:18 PM
The first thing I thought about when the game ended was that somehow this was payback for the win last week. Statistically, we were the better team today. Not on the field though. Turnovers is the only stat that really tells the story, and we had two terrible turnovers.

I felt like OU would win this game. The last time KSU beat us, it was the perfect storm of KSU playing well and OU making too many mistakes. That perfect storm returned today.

Outside of the horrible pick 6, I thought TK played his best game of the year. Even though he targeted Shepard more than ever, he found other guys to get the ball to, and the offense seemed to move the ball well today. I thought Heupel had a very good game plan, and called a good game (with the exception of the horrible Neal pass play). If that play works, nobody's questioning it, but it didn't. I don't really understand the thought process on that play call...TK was throwing well today, and we were even moving the ball on the ground...why ask a WR to throw a TD?

Losing Ripkowski early really hurt. Losing Bell at the end sealed our fate. I didn't have a problem with the play-calling on that drive, but missing those two guys really hurt our ability to punch it in when we needed it most. I'm still not 100% how that was targeting by Rip, but it doesn't really matter.

I thought we played too conservative on defense in the first half. When Waters was under pressure, he wasn't very good. We are not good at the safety position right now. We looked a little better in the second half, but I thought our safeties and linebackers played a really 'meh' kind of game.

Finally, I never thought we'd see a game where Hunnicutt struggled like he did today. The blocked XP wasn't on him, but the two field goals...that was just crazy. I feel bad for the kid, he's been such a solid kicker, and to have your worst game come in a game like this...I'm sure it's going to be a tough week for him.

Like the TCU game, we gave this one away.

aero
10/18/2014, 04:33 PM
I'm pissed. I'm not happy when OU loses. Especially when we should have won which is how I feel about both our losses. I'm not happy with the qb play. I'm not happy with the defensive breakdowns. I'm not happy the kicker missed 7 points but I'm not laying it all on him. Kickers should be icing on the cake not the last bullet in the chamber. I'm not happy I'm staring at another year when there are so many teams that look better and I'm jealous. Most of all I'm not happy with the offense. It seems surreal to have witnessed national championships with some of the greatest ground attacks in the history of college football, then a NC with a defense and offense that both may have lacked talent but had more than enough scrap, then some really good defenses and offenses in the early/mid 2000's, and now to watch this. It's torture. Then I have to watch other teams and ask myself why can't we run some of those kinds of plays. Do our coaches even watch film? Maybe they should just turn on the tv and watch a few games. Any games. Ya, I'm pissed. But I'm also stuck cuz I'll be a Sooner till I'm dead. Screw it. Next year.....

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 04:39 PM
Stoops and Co. get paid too much to give games away.

Sorry, when you get paid premium money, a premium product is expected. This team is FAR from premium. The problems are evident...Inconsistent special teams, constant poor management of timeouts, inability to dominate the line of scrimmage on face-off short yardage running downs, and the inability of Heupel to realize this inability and adjust.

As I've said in other posts, if the goal is to compete for another NC, the current regime can't do it.

8timechamps
10/18/2014, 04:40 PM
I'm pissed. I'm not happy when OU loses. Especially when we should have won which is how I feel about both our losses. I'm not happy with the qb play. I'm not happy with the defensive breakdowns. I'm not happy the kicker missed 7 points but I'm not laying it all on him. Kickers should be icing on the cake not the last bullet in the chamber. I'm not happy I'm staring at another year when there are so many teams that look better and I'm jealous. Most of all I'm not happy with the offense. It seems surreal to have witnessed national championships with some of the greatest ground attacks in the history of college football, then a NC with a defense and offense that both may have lacked talent but had more than enough scrap, then some really good defenses and offenses in the early/mid 2000's, and now to watch this. It's torture. Then I have to watch other teams and ask myself why can't we run some of those kinds of plays. Do our coaches even watch film? Maybe they should just turn on the tv and watch a few games. Any games. Ya, I'm pissed. But I'm also stuck cuz I'll be a Sooner till I'm dead. Screw it. Next year.....

Yeah, there's no option to 'not care'. If there is, I've never been able to find it...I sat through every game of the 90's...hoping to win them all, upset when we lost. I don't think there's a cure for us.

8timechamps
10/18/2014, 04:45 PM
Stoops and Co. get paid too much to give games away.

Sorry, when you get paid premium money, a premium product is expected. This team is FAR from premium. The problems are evident...Inconsistent special teams, constant poor management of timeouts, inability to dominate the line of scrimmage on face-off short yardage running downs, and the inability of Heupel to realize this inability and adjust.

As I've said in other posts, if the goal is to compete for another NC, the current regime can't do it.

Coaches, in general, are paid too much. Stoops' salary is the least of my concerns. There are a lot of people in this world paid too much for what they do.

I don't think we have "inconsistent special teams". Today, the kicking game was bad. That hasn't been a trend.

This loss is on both the players and the coaches, but it's more the players in this one. I thought Heupel called a pretty good game, but wasn't perfect by any means.

We left 14 points on the field:

2 missed FGs
Blocked extra point
Interception in the endzone

And gave them 7 with the pick 6.

That's a 21 point swing. Those are on the players.

birddog
10/18/2014, 04:48 PM
I had fun today as frustrating as the loss was.Every time we got something going and the fans finally got into the game kstate would take it away. We always seemed to be a play away with old man Snyder making some big calls at the perfect time. Lbs and safeties are really young and bad right now. Lbs get blocked out of every play and Ahmad Thomas is always asking where he should be. I thought the offense played pretty well. 2 punts all day? 2 lame punts right?
This just isn't the team we thought we had. The defense is just not good enough to get big stops when they need em.

soonergirlNeugene
10/18/2014, 04:48 PM
OP is pretty much spot on. Glad to see someone else watched the same game I did.

soonergirlNeugene
10/18/2014, 04:50 PM
Outside of the aforementioned gimmick play, the only other criticism I have for the coaching staff was that KState 3rd down where we burned our second timeout.

okiewaker
10/18/2014, 04:52 PM
I'm ticked I got suckered in by the media. No more.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 04:58 PM
Coaches, in general, are paid too much. Stoops' salary is the least of my concerns. There are a lot of people in this world paid too much for what they do.

I don't think we have "inconsistent special teams". Today, the kicking game was bad. That hasn't been a trend.

This loss is on both the players and the coaches, but it's more the players in this one. I thought Heupel called a pretty good game, but wasn't perfect by any means.

We left 14 points on the field:

2 missed FGs
Blocked extra point
Interception in the endzone

And gave them 7 with the pick 6.

That's a 21 point swing. Those are on the players.

Really? You aren't concerned about what Stoops is paid, considering what he delivers? If you paid Five Star Prices for a Three Star meal, that wouldn't concern you?

Sure there is plenty of blame between players and coaches. But it starts with Bob and ends with Bob.

So I simply ask. Do you have any faith that OU will seriously contend for another NC within the next 5 years if Stoops remains coach?

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 05:02 PM
Really? You aren't concerned about what Stoops is paid, considering what he delivers? If you paid Five Star Prices for a Three Star meal, that wouldn't concern you?

Sure there is plenty of blame between players and coaches. But it starts with Bob and ends with Bob.

So I simply ask. Do you have any faith that OU will seriously contend for another NC within the next 5 years if Stoops remains coach?

No but as for me I don't have any "faith" that we would contend for a NC without Stoops either.

okiewaker
10/18/2014, 05:05 PM
Coaches, in general, are paid too much..

Wait,,what? Under what scale, 8th. In a Command Economy,,,maybe so.

Anywhoo,,you are a stats person. When was the last time OU was 5-2 in the first 7 games? Do you have that? Thx

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 05:06 PM
The first thing I thought about when the game ended was that somehow this was payback for the win last week. Statistically, we were the better team today. Not on the field though. Turnovers is the only stat that really tells the story, and we had two terrible turnovers.

I felt like OU would win this game. The last time KSU beat us, it was the perfect storm of KSU playing well and OU making too many mistakes. That perfect storm returned today.

Outside of the horrible pick 6, I thought TK played his best game of the year. Even though he targeted Shepard more than ever, he found other guys to get the ball to, and the offense seemed to move the ball well today. I thought Heupel had a very good game plan, and called a good game (with the exception of the horrible Neal pass play). If that play works, nobody's questioning it, but it didn't. I don't really understand the thought process on that play call...TK was throwing well today, and we were even moving the ball on the ground...why ask a WR to throw a TD?

Losing Ripkowski early really hurt. Losing Bell at the end sealed our fate. I didn't have a problem with the play-calling on that drive, but missing those two guys really hurt our ability to punch it in when we needed it most. I'm still not 100% how that was targeting by Rip, but it doesn't really matter.

I thought we played too conservative on defense in the first half. When Waters was under pressure, he wasn't very good. We are not good at the safety position right now. We looked a little better in the second half, but I thought our safeties and linebackers played a really 'meh' kind of game.

Finally, I never thought we'd see a game where Hunnicutt struggled like he did today. The blocked XP wasn't on him, but the two field goals...that was just crazy. I feel bad for the kid, he's been such a solid kicker, and to have your worst game come in a game like this...I'm sure it's going to be a tough week for him.

Like the TCU game, we gave this one away.

great post, it seems on offense and defense we don't seem to change anything up. HOw many games have we rushed three guys and their qb has all the time in the world and kills us. Offense, same thing, same play after play after play. How many times did we give to the Perine in a row before the last third down play? When we got close on the int in the end zone I thought to myself do not bring out that neal pass, and if I'M thinking that - do you think ksu coaches didn't know and planned for it all week? Pathetic.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 05:09 PM
No but as for me I don't have any "faith" that we would contend for a NC without Stoops either.

I for one, am not afraid of a future at OU without Stoops as head coach. It's going to happen someday anyhow. Seems to me there are a lot of programs doing just fine with a head coach NOT named Stoops:

TCU, Baylor, Kansas State, Alabama, Ole Miss, MSU, Florida State, Auburn, Oregon

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 05:19 PM
I for one, am not afraid of a future at OU without Stoops as head coach. It's going to happen someday anyhow. Seems to me there are a lot of programs doing just fine with a head coach NOT named Stoops:

TCU, Baylor, Kansas State, Alabama, Ole Miss, MSU, Florida State, Auburn, Oregon

It will happen someday but recent history suggests that trying to replace long term successful coaches is usually accompanied by long term pain.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 05:25 PM
It will happen someday but recent history suggests that trying to replace long term successful coaches is usually accompanied by long term pain.

Well, that's where Boren and Castiglione will have to earn their money, won't they? A program depends on players, coaches, and administration. Administration will have to do its job.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 05:30 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like at least half of the teams on that list have NEVER won a national championship. Ever.

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 05:34 PM
Well, that's where Boren and Castiglione will have to earn their money, won't they? A program depends on players, coaches, and administration. Administration will have to do its job.

I understand heupel is married to borens daughter. True? Boren wouldn't let bob bring back the fat man. Just sayin'.

soonergirlNeugene
10/18/2014, 05:35 PM

Ok, so you would be happier with:

Patterson .583
Briles .579
Snyder .666 going into this game :eek:
Saban .750
Freeze .689
Mullen .600
Malzahn .813
Helfrich .842
Stoops .802

The two coaches who have won more of their games than Stoops have a combined 5 years of coaching behind them. Sorry, I don't see anyone on this list I'd rather have as our head coach.

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 05:38 PM

How much money they make is no guarantee of success. You can do our best diligence and it's still largely a crapshoot. If anybody knew with absolute certainty who would be the next coach that could guarantee a championship he would have already been hired by somebody yesterday.

aurorasooner
10/18/2014, 05:38 PM
I think Heupel's sister is married to Boren's son. But I don't know and don't really GAS.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 05:43 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like at least half of the teams on that list have NEVER won a national championship. Ever.

What matters is what those teams are doing NOW. Bob's NC was 14 years ago. So far in the past that it should have NO relevance about his current capacity to compete for another NC.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 05:49 PM

Patterson .583
Briles .579
Saban .750
Freeze .689
Mullen .600
Malzahn .813
Helfrich .842
Stoops .802

The two coaches who have won more of their games than Stoops have a combined 5 years of coaching behind them. Sorry, I don't see anyone on this list I'd rather have as our head coach.

The historical records of those coaches is irrelevant to their value NOW. How important is our Sugar Bowl victory over Bama right NOW?????

Oklahoma Football has been (and in my opinion should be) about regularly competing for National Championships. Do you honestly think Stoops and Co. will have OU in the playoff anytime soon (next four years)? I don't.

soonergirlNeugene
10/18/2014, 05:51 PM
What matters is what those teams are doing NOW. Bob's NC was 14 years ago. So far in the past that it should have NO relevance about his current capacity to compete for another NC.

So basically you're saying that you're willing to go through a decade or more of mediocrity so long as we win it again. We all know we won't get to keep Stoops forever, but I would rather have a coach that keeps us at a consistently high level and keeps giving us chances to get it than roll the dice on a coach - or more likely, series of coaches - on the off-chance that we might find one that could bring in the next one. I still believe Stoops is the best chance for our next national championship. Clearly you disagree, but I'm glad you're in the minority here.

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 05:55 PM

Patterson .583
Briles .579
Saban .750
Freeze .689
Mullen .600
Malzahn .813
Helfrich .842
Stoops .802

Yes, "big game" has a great winning percentage, but we couldn't win the big game for a number of years and now we are losing to teams we should beat and all he keeps talking about conference championships, conference championships. I want him to say the truth, we have a huge problem on defense. 107, before the game today, in pass defense. Then I want him to fix it. I am not being paid, what is it now $4m a year to fix it, he is.

kenth68
10/18/2014, 05:59 PM
I'm just wondering, which pop star blew Honeycutt's, um, confidence.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 06:16 PM

Yeah, it's been 14 years. How long has it been since TCU won one? Baylor? Ole Miss? K-State? MSU? Oregon?

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 06:19 PM
So basically you're saying that you're willing to go through a decade or more of mediocrity so long as we win it again. We all know we won't get to keep Stoops forever, but I would rather have a coach that keeps us at a consistently high level and keeps giving us chances to get it than roll the dice on a coach - or more likely, series of coaches - on the off-chance that we might find one that could bring in the next one. I still believe Stoops is the best chance for our next national championship. Clearly you disagree, but I'm glad you're in the minority here.

Wow, you have really drank the Stoops Kool-Aid. He's not been close to getting into the NC game for 6 years now. NOT EVEN CLOSE. What in the world could make you think he is the best chance for another NC? What's the FACTUAL evidence? Including this year, the last 15 National Championships will have been won by coaches NOT named Stoops. You REALLY need to put the Blake years behind you.

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 06:24 PM
Yeah, it's been 14 years. How long has it been since TCU won one? Baylor? Ole Miss? K-State? MSU? Oregon?

Yep and you can ask Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee Fans about trying to replace long term winning coaches.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 06:27 PM
Yep and you can ask Michigan, Nebraska, Tennessee Fans about trying to replace long term winning coaches.

Again, Administration MATTERS. It's up to a University President and Athletic Director to choose a worthy replacement. Is it an exacting science? Of course not.

birddog
10/18/2014, 06:28 PM

Who?

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 06:37 PM
Wow, you have really drank the Stoops Kool-Aid. He's not been close to getting into the NC game for 6 years now. NOT EVEN CLOSE. What in the world could make you think he is the best chance for another NC? What's the FACTUAL evidence? Including this year, the last 15 National Championships will have been won by coaches NOT named Stoops. You REALLY need to put the Blake years behind you.

The Kool Aid drinkers can't do it. They are under the impression that if we got rid of Stoops we automatically have to bring Blake back to replace him.

sendbaht
10/18/2014, 06:47 PM
we lost...hurts.....now lets watch a few others lose and man/women up and get ready for Iowa State....We are lucky to have both coach Stoops...

rock on sooner
10/18/2014, 06:49 PM
Wow, in between Srinhouston's bad grammar and Sooner8th's general nut stuff,
I'm guessing that OU should just discontinue football and just fade away. Talk
about bandwagon jumpers....Geez,...so we don't do it this year. I still like our
chances going forward (even this year, good bowl, strong recruiting) so all you jerks
can just go fly a kite. JMO...

8timechamps
10/18/2014, 06:50 PM

Nope. Not concerned even a little bit.

I could go into a long, detailed explanation about how good Stoops has been since his arrival, but I'm sure you're aware of those facts. If you are concerned about Bob's salary, and don't think the product is up to snuff, then about the only thing I can offer in advice is "don't go to the games". Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, I have faith we'll be in the hunt for another NC within the next 5 years. And it's not "if" Stoops remains...he's going nowhere.

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 06:51 PM
Nope. Not concerned even a little bit.

I could go into a long, detailed explanation about how good Stoops has been since his arrival, but I'm sure you're aware of those facts. If you are concerned about Bob's salary, and don't think the product is up to snuff, then about the only thing I can offer in advice is "don't go to the games". Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, I have faith we'll be in the hunt for another NC within the next 5 years. And it's not "if" Stoops remains...he's going nowhere.

Wager?

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 06:53 PM
Bob Stoops is not paid $5m+ per year; it's the HC of the Sooners that gets paid that much. I suspect it will stay that way unless OU decides to deemphasis football.

8timechamps
10/18/2014, 06:54 PM
Wager?

Sure.

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 06:55 PM
Bob Stoops is not paid $5m+ per year; it's the HC of the Sooners that gets paid that much. I suspect it will stay that wayunless OU decides to deemphasis football.

Are you sure we HAVEN'T done that? Bahahahahahahaha!!!

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 06:55 PM
Sure.

What does "being in the hunt entail?"

8timechamps
10/18/2014, 06:57 PM

Yeah, we'll need to clarify that. Let me work on what I think it entails...you do the same...then we'll come up with the parameters.

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure my parameters aren't so narrow as to say winning it all - five more years and it'll be what? 19 or 20 years since we've won one?

Even the ladies down at the cotillion might have had enough by then!

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 07:12 PM
Wow, in between Srinhouston's bad grammar and Sooner8th's general nut stuff,
I'm guessing that OU should just discontinue football and just fade away. Talk
about bandwagon jumpers....Geez,...so we don't do it this year. I still like our
chances going forward (even this year, good bowl, strong recruiting) so all you jerks
can just go fly a kite. JMO...

Get used to trotting out that line as long as Stoops is coach. It's worked well the past six years. It will work well for you going forward.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 07:15 PM

It's not my wager, so you can set it however you want, but I'd say being top 4 (as in, if the regular season ended that day, they'd be in the playoffs) at some point during the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season. Honestly, being in the hunt would probably be broader than that, but it's still easy money for 8x either way.

rock on sooner
10/18/2014, 07:16 PM
Get used to trotting out that line as long as Stoops is coach. It's worked well the past six years. It will work well for you going forward.

Two things,....who's better? And, PLEASE stay in Houston! TYVM!

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 07:17 PM
It's not my wager, so you can set it however you want, but I'd say being top 4 (as in, if the regular season ended that day, they'd be in the playoffs) at some point during the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season. Honestly, being in the hunt would probably be broader than that, but it's still easy money for 8x either way.

Ya think? What exactly shouts out to you that being in the top 4 at the end of the regular season in the next 5 years is a given?

Eielson
10/18/2014, 07:19 PM

Oh boo hoo. We'll only win 10 games this year, and have almost no significant seniors on this team. How could we possibly be contenders after Bell, Wilson, Grissom, and a couple linemen graduate?

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 07:20 PM
Yeah, we'll need to clarify that. Let me work on what I think it entails...you do the same...then we'll come up with the parameters.

That's simple. Getting into the four team playoff. Don't have to win it. Just be one of the four teams selected.

A top coach at a top-tier program should be able to do that once in the next five years. I'm guessing Bob doesn't do it. Love to be proven wrong.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 07:21 PM
Oh boo hoo. We'll only win 10 games this year, and have almost no significant seniors on this team. How could we possibly be contenders after Bell, Wilson, Grissom, and a couple linemen graduate?

You are saying that this team will win 10 regular season games?

Eielson
10/18/2014, 07:22 PM
Ya think? What exactly shouts out to you that being in the top 4 at the end of the regular season in the next 5 years is a given?

Stoops' teams have played in 4 NC games in the last 14 or so seasons, and if you expand that out to only being top 4, I'd imagine you'd push that out to at least 6 or 7. Do the math.

If Shep sticks around and DGB stays out of trouble, your odds aren't very good just for a one year bet.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 07:26 PM
You are saying that this team will win 10 regular season games?

Yes...and feel free to quote me on it. Have you seen how our schedule finishes? Baylor is our only tough game left. None of the other teams are of TCU or KSU's caliber...maybe not even Tennessee or WVU quality.

It's entirely possible we only win 9. We could possibly win 11, too. Who knows exactly?

aurorasooner
10/18/2014, 07:26 PM
What does "being in the hunt entail?"I think I'm going to do what was recommended in a previous thread and in the future not only curtail my expectations of Sooner FB but not buy in any more to the pumper off-season hype.
I'll be glad when we're prepared to play on Saturdays in the fall, our coaching staff doesn't look like the keystone cops when either getting the offensive play in the game in a reasonable amount of time as well as being able to be on the same page so we don't burn critical time-outs in the 1st or 3rd quarter.
I'll just be happy when we're "in the hunt again" for another unshared Big 12-4+2 championship, (no matter how watered down this conference is), and just be ecstatic when our team is lucky enough to show up with some quality bowl game preparation and actually not be embarrassed but win the major bowl game.

Prozac college football.

soonerfan69
10/18/2014, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't mind having a new OC with some new original plays

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 07:31 PM
Stoops' teams have played in 4 NC games in the last 14 or so seasons, and if you expand that out to only being top 4, I'd imagine you'd push that out to at least 6 or 7. Do the math.

If Shep sticks around and DGB stays out of trouble, your odds aren't very good just for a one year bet.

How many NC's has Bob played in during the past 6 years? How many times has his team been in contention for a NC during the last six years as the middle of November rolled around?

ZERO.

Hence, his RECENT record has shown NOTHING to indicate that he can produce a national championship team.

The 2008 season is ancient history in this sport. What OU did that season is TOTALLY irrelevant to what it can do in the future.

And while we're taking about 2008, that is just evidence of another horrendous coaching decision Stoops made. How do you think Jason Garrett would react if Jerry Jones said, "Jason, want you to start using Demarco to return kickoffs". Think Garrett would believe that's a smart idea?

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 07:33 PM

Stoops has won almost 80 per cent of his games over the previous 6 years. Who exactly do you think is going to top that?

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 07:34 PM
Yes...and feel free to quote me on it. Have you seen how our schedule finishes? Baylor is our only tough game left. None of the other teams are of TCU or KSU's caliber...maybe not even Tennessee or WVU quality.

It's entirely possible we only win 9. We could possibly win 11, too. Who knows exactly?

Oh, trust me. I will be happy to quote you on it. This team will at least one more regular season game.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 07:35 PM
Oh, trust me. I will be happy to quote you on it. This team will at least one more regular season game.

You do realize that if this team only loses one more game, they'll still have a 10 win season, right?

Piware
10/18/2014, 07:41 PM
I understand heupel is married to borens daughter. True? Boren wouldn't let bob bring back the fat man. Just sayin'.

No. His sister, Andrea, is married to Dan Boren. Dan is president Boren's son AND you are full of beans.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 07:44 PM
You do realize that if this team only loses one more game, they'll still have a 10 win season, right?

OU is 5-2 now. There are five regular season games left. So if it loses only one more regular season game, it will have four additional wins. Last I checked 5 + 4 < 10. And you were badgering me about my grammar? I'd suggest looking at your math Mr. Glasshouse.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 07:51 PM
Stoops has won almost 80 per cent of his games over the previous 6 years. Who exactly do you think is going to top that?

Given what he's paid compared to other head coaches, he damn well better win 80 percent of his games. But the focus of this string has been about whether he can still compete for another NC. Does he have what it takes to make the four team playoff?

Eielson
10/18/2014, 07:51 PM
OU is 5-2 now. There are five regular season games left. So if it loses only one more regular season game, it will have four additional wins. Last I checked 5 + 4 < 10. And you were badgering me about my grammar? I'd suggest looking at your math Mr. Glasshouse.

I said we'd win 10 games this season. You snuck in the regular season games part at one point, and I didn't notice that. I said Baylor was going to be a tough one, so we may easily end up 9-3 at the end of the regular season. If that were the case, I suspect we'd be matched up in a bowl game we'd win...which would give us 10.

And I never mentioned your grammar.

EatLeadCommie
10/18/2014, 07:52 PM
Oh I have quite a few thoughts on this clunker of a game.

TK. Played mostly well, but still doesn't look off guys unless he is doing the magical pump-fake-to-the-left-floater-jump-ball-to-Shep in the corner of the endzone. Landry did that play too. It's a prayer play, contingent upon the DB taking a nap. We could've just play actioned them to death all day, just as they could've option passed us to death all day. The INT is all on him. He just throws it out there and doesn't even worry about where the DB is. The play is designed that way, but Heupel has to know his QB.

Heupel. Nice game between the 20s. Butthead playcalling with the free 7 we gave them, the Neal pass (even if Neal shouldn't have thrown that pass, the play is designed for him to), and at the goalline. My god, we could've just play actioned until the end of time. We also called one bootleg (a pass) the entire game. Pretty sure Stoops got cold feet about Trevor running after he hurt his vajayjay falling on the ground, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. If he can't take that kind of hit, too bad. We can't be walking on eggshells afraid that our QB is going to get hurt if he gets hit.

Stoops (Mike). You know, I can see getting beat on that option pass. Great play call. I can see getting beat again. The third time we came damn close to batting it down. I am, however, convinced that they could have called that on every play and gotten about 30 yards a pop. What bugged me most was the DB play. Sanchez played well. Everybody else was awful. Just awful. And we were so worried about the stupid option pass that we let them get a big first down when the QB was 4 yards past the line of scrimmage. Bad coaching. I know they're young, but c'mon. And the 3 man rush doesn't get it done. Neither does the predictable 3 man rush but one man on the corner who may or may not blitz but is really there to blitz. Mike has not done a good job of disguising blitz packages. I don't know WTF has happened to this D since they looked like world beaters early on. We have gone from midseason form to practice form.

Hunnicutt. Well, I made up a few names for him during this game, but of which keep the the soft "u" sound in the last syllable of his name. Clearly, he knew he was close to the record books. I wouldn't say he completely cost us the game with the way our defense was and the way Heupel crapped the bed, but he didn't hold up his end. 29 and 19 yarder and a PAT blocked by a dwarf. He just acquired Mackey Sasser disease, and I hope we have a decent backup. With his confidence shot, his career is done.

The season is over. Bring on basketball. Whatever goodwill Stoops built up with the Bama win is completely depleted. Three clunker games in a row and more losses on the way. Inexcusable. Bob needs to face some hard realities this offseason and quit finding excuses to not blame the coaches.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 07:59 PM
I like that people are calling this game a clunker and acting like the world is coming to an end because we lost by 1 to the #14 team in the country...and yet still act like we're not a national powerhouse. Some people just love to complain.

soonerfan69
10/18/2014, 08:06 PM
This team is not good enough to compete for a Championship but better enjoy the last 6 games because after that it's Basketball and Baseball time

TrophyCollector
10/18/2014, 08:09 PM
I like that people are calling this game a clunker and acting like the world is coming to an end because we lost by 1 to the #14 team in the country...and yet still act like we're not a national powerhouse. Some people just love to complain.

For straight years without winning the Big XII. How is that a "national powerhouse"?

EatLeadCommie
10/18/2014, 08:11 PM

What would you call this game if not a clunker? We lost AT HOME. Remember when we used to be invincible at home? Not anymore. This is supposed to be a team in the hunt for a playoff and we're done already because we have had 3 crap games in a row. That's an issue. We aren't a national powerhouse, plain and simple. We are supposed to be. We get the benefit of the doubt every year and we never earn it. People thought we were when Heupel called the game of his life and TK played the game of his life against Bama in the Sugar Bowl, but now we see that that was a fluke. We are the same ol', same ol'...just watch our film and you know what we're gonna run. No doubt Saban thought the same thing last year until we trotted out an entirely new offense.

Oh by the way, I thought losing Rip was actually good for the offense. Not only did it force Bell to block more (and he did a good job), but it made the O less predictable. We run it most of the time when Rip is in there or we throw it to somebody who isn't Rip. Last week against Texas was the only time we didn't. It's just another predictable part of our O that needs to go, and it went when he left the game.

sendbaht
10/18/2014, 08:12 PM
10 wins would be cool this year....now....
feel bad like you all, but if Iowa St can beat tx...it would help me feel a little better today...

EatLeadCommie
10/18/2014, 08:13 PM
10 wins means nothing in the era of 13-14 game seasons.

PhiDeltBeers
10/18/2014, 08:14 PM

I think what we're all frustrated with is the fall over the last 3 games. It's not just losing...it's how bad we look. We looked like world beaters on both sides of the ball before the last 3 games back to the Bama game. We'd like to think that we are improving as the season goes, but that's just not the case. It's been embarrassing to watch how this team has completely puked down their leg. Coaches and players. I think most of us just want to know why and how this has happened.

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 08:14 PM
For straight years without winning the Big XII. How is that a "national powerhouse"?

We were Big 12 champs in 2012.

EatLeadCommie
10/18/2014, 08:17 PM

LOL. Good one. Did we pull the aggie move and get rings for that one?

TrophyCollector
10/18/2014, 08:18 PM

If you want to count a spilt with KSU eve though they beat us head-to-head (in Norman), ok. That's pretty weak, but ok.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 08:19 PM

We won the Big XII Championship game against Nebraska 4 years ago, and we split it 2 years ago, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Additionally, over the last 14 years, we've had 12 top 15 finishes, 9 top 10 finishes, 8 top 6 finishes, 9 conference championships, and have had a winning conference record ever single season of the Bob Stoops tenure.

If we're not a national powerhouse, start naming schools who have a had a better 15 year stretch. Seriously. Try to name 5.

IGotNoTiming
10/18/2014, 08:21 PM

Not paying attention to history makes history irrelevant. It is the best teacher. If you think getting rid of Stoops now is the answer, your are not only wrong. Players made the biggest mistakes today and that is going to happen. If you are so sure about your belief do me favor... Name me one coach who never lost a game they should have won.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 08:21 PM
10 wins means nothing in the era of 13-14 game seasons.

If it's not a big deal, who else has done it 12 out of the last 14 years?

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 08:23 PM
LOL. Good one. Did we pull the aggie move and get rings for that one?

It counts. Honest. In the record books and everything. Trophy and all.

TrophyCollector
10/18/2014, 08:27 PM
We won the Big XII Championship game against Nebraska 4 years ago, and we split it 2 years ago, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Additionally, over the last 14 years, we've had 12 top 15 finishes, 9 top 10 finishes, 8 top 6 finishes, 9 conference championships, and have had a winning conference record ever single season of the Bob Stoops tenure.

If we're not a national powerhouse, start naming schools who have a had a better 15 year stretch. Seriously. Try to name 5.

2011 - no Big XII title
2012 - same Big XII record as KSU, but the got the BCS bid because they beat us head-to-head. Technically a 1/2 title - whoopee.
2013 - no Big XII title
2014 - no Big XII title

I wasn't arguing 15 years, just the last 4. We've been no more or a national contender than Texas has.

soonergirlNeugene
10/18/2014, 08:31 PM
I wasn't arguing 15 years, just the last 4. We've been no more or a national contender than Texas has.

Ok, now I know you're trolling.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 08:32 PM
2011 - no Big XII title
2012 - same Big XII record as KSU, but the got the BCS bid because they beat us head-to-head. Technically a 1/2 title - whoopee.
2013 - no Big XII title
2014 - no Big XII title

2012 was a tie for first, and this season isn't over, so you're essentially looking at 2 non-continuous years and saying that discredits us as a national powerhouse. Even if we did go 4 years without a Big XII Title, you don't lose national powerhouse status for a 4 year stretch only winning 10+ games ever year.

SoonerMarkVA
10/18/2014, 08:32 PM
Stoops (Mike). You know, I can see getting beat on that option pass. Great play call. I can see getting beat again. The third time we came damn close to batting it down. I am, however, convinced that they could have called that on every play and gotten about 30 yards a pop. What bugged me most was the DB play. Sanchez played well. Everybody else was awful. Just awful. And we were so worried about the stupid option pass that we let them get a big first down when the QB was 4 yards past the line of scrimmage. Bad coaching. I know they're young, but c'mon. And the 3 man rush doesn't get it done. Neither does the predictable 3 man rush but one man on the corner who may or may not blitz but is really there to blitz. Mike has not done a good job of disguising blitz packages. I don't know WTF has happened to this D since they looked like world beaters early on. We have gone from midseason form to practice form.

This.

TrophyCollector
10/18/2014, 08:39 PM
2012 was a tie for first, and this season isn't over, so you're essentially looking at 2 non-continuous years and saying that discredits us as a national powerhouse. Even if we did go 4 years without a Big XII Title, you don't lose national powerhouse status for a 4 year stretch only winning 10+ games ever year.

Did we get the Big XII BCS bid in 2012? No, that bid goes to the best team with the best record and tiebreaker win. It's a good thing we didn't too considering the thrashing Aggie put on us in the Cotton bowl.

EatLeadCommie
10/18/2014, 08:39 PM

Counting 2012 is so aggie. Let's leave that to the Pokes. Everybody knows we weren't BXII champs that year. Even Bob kind of shrugs and says, "Well, those are the rules of the Big XII." Counting that is tantamount to Bama claiming 30 natties or whatever it is they claim.

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 08:54 PM
There ya go, the Kool Aid drinkers are reduced to being Aggie to cover for their boy! ;)

Eielson
10/18/2014, 08:57 PM
Counting 2012 is so aggie. Let's leave that to the Pokes. Everybody knows we weren't BXII champs that year. Even Bob kind of shrugs and says, "Well, those are the rules of the Big XII." Counting that is tantamount to Bama claiming 30 natties or whatever it is they claim.

It's the nature of the new format. We tied for first. If we had a championship game, we would have played KSU for it. The Aggies claimed to be Big XII champs, even though they didn't even play in the championshp game. That's different.

Regardless, we won in:

2012 - Tie

Pretty dominant if you ask me.

olevetonahill
10/18/2014, 08:58 PM
My Thoughts? We lost by ONE point to a team we were only ranked 3 spots ahead of. The didnt make as many mistakes as we did.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 09:01 PM
Not paying attention to history makes history irrelevant. It is the best teacher. If you think getting rid of Stoops now is the answer, your are not only wrong. Players made the biggest mistakes today and that is going to happen. If you are so sure about your belief do me favor... Name me one coach who never lost a game they should have won.

Your very narrow question misses the point. The point is that this is the 6th straight year that Stoops' team has not been in the running late in the season for a National Championship. You may not consider that a big deal. But I do. I believe 6 years is a significant amount of time and merits close scrutiny.

And they WAY these teams are losing says a lot. Giving up many third down conversions on defense. Failing to convert many 3rd downs on offense. Consistent poor use of timeouts.

According to Sporting News, Bob is the second highest paid coach this year behind Saban. He's in the top 1% for pay. Do you think the product (that he is ultimately responsible for) is an elite team? Is 5-2 and out of contention before November what passes for elite today?

Name one season since the loss to Florida, when Oklahoma has been part of the championship discussion in the second half of November and first week of December?

PhiDeltBeers
10/18/2014, 09:02 PM
My Thoughts? We lost by ONE point to a team we were only ranked 3 spots ahead of. The didnt make as many mistakes as we did.

Those aren't thoughts....thems facts.

;)

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 09:03 PM

...and why do you suppose this is?

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 09:06 PM

And yet there the trophy is, in the case. This isn't something new. In 1975 we were co-champs with Nebraska after we beat them head to head. In 1978 were co-champs with Nebraska and they beat us head to head. Happened again in 1984 with Nebraska. Nobody thought this was unfair at all. Head to head is not the be all and end all because it only figures one side of the equation.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 09:07 PM

Go easy Curly…that's a question many on this board aren't quite ready to get an answer for.

aurorasooner
10/18/2014, 09:08 PM
It's the nature of the new format. We tied for first. If we had a championship game, we would have played KSU for it. The Aggies claimed to be Big XII champs, even though they didn't even play in the championshp game. That's different.

Regardless, we won in:

2012 - Tie

Pretty dominant if you ask me.Agree, but it sure seems like it's been 10 years though since the last uncontested one. I guess that's the nature of the monster. Sure hope Bob can get a couple of more and he doesn't go out sucking hind tit like Mack did. Just don't think he will w/o some more in-house coaching shake ups though.

aero
10/18/2014, 09:28 PM
Lots of good posts in this thread. Yes, we lost by 1 to a team ranked 3 spots behind us but I think alot of us mistakenly thought we were better than our current ranking and this was a game to start showing it. Obviously, we didn't even deserve that ranking. It seems like we continually fall short. When is the last time we would have played Bama and been the favorite? It's been a while. I too thought we turned a corner in the Sugar Bowl only to get slammed down to the reality of yet another disappointing season. I don't have any reason to think anything will be different next year.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 09:30 PM
Lots of good posts in this thread. Yes, we lost by 1 to a team ranked 3 spots behind us but I think alot of us mistakenly thought we were better than our current ranking and this was a game to start showing it. Obviously, we didn't even deserve that ranking. It seems like we continually fall short. When is the last time we would have played Bama and been the favorite? It's been a while. I too thought we turned a corner in the Sugar Bowl only to get slammed down to the reality of yet another disappointing season. I don't have any reason to think anything will be different next year.

Unfortunately, I agree with everything you say.

flysooner9
10/18/2014, 09:31 PM
After watching some more football today I was quickly reminded how lucky we actually are as Sooner fans. There are a lot of horrible teams that would be a real drag to be a fan of. It's disappointing going another year without championship hopes, but things could be way worse as a fan.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 09:41 PM

Let me play...

Because K-State is better coached. Of course, K-State made more mistakes against Auburn, so I guess Auburn is better coached. And of course, Auburn made more mistakes against Mississippi State, so I guess Mississippi State is better coached. And of course, Mississippi State lost 6 games with the same coach last year, so I suppose all those teams are better coached (which includes OSU, and oddly enough, Auburn...who is now not as well coached as Mississippi State).

Sooner Schemer
10/18/2014, 09:45 PM
Boren can't even hire a decent Band Director.

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 09:49 PM
Let me play...

Because K-State is better coached. Of course, K-State made more mistakes against Auburn, so I guess Auburn is better coached. And of course, Auburn made more mistakes against Mississippi State, so I guess Mississippi State is better coached. And of course, Mississippi State lost 6 games with the same coach last year, so I suppose all those teams are better coached (which includes OSU, and oddly enough, Auburn...who is now not as well coached as Mississippi State).

Ohhhh golly gee, a game of gymnastic relativism.

But you get partial credit for getting the first part right - KSU was the better coached team today.

manateepower
10/18/2014, 10:09 PM
I don't quite understand the sooner apologists. To me, they are trying to convince everyone that this coaching staff has not underachieved with the talent we have had over the last decade with reasons of "At least we aren't Vanderbilt fans". Or "He is a better coach than John Blake".

No one is really arguing that we are Big 12 bottom dwellers or that Stoops is losing 7 games a year. But I think it is reasonable to conclude that 2005-present has yielded a significant drop off from 1999-2004.

Some will rebut that by asking, "What about 2008?" Well, what about it, our staff had an offense that could put up 60 per game, yet still loss two games, one in part thanks to horrendous play calling at the goal line.

Let us not also forget 2007. I believe the talent of that team is massively understated, and we were more than capable of winning a title, especially that year when teams were just giving it away, but an abysmal lost to Colorado kept up out. (I won't even start with the miserable failure that was the fiesta bowl).

Since then, we have been no where near contention, awful losses all over the place, 3 quarterbacks whose abilities have been crippled due to coach blundering, and now here we are in 2014 with maybe our most complete team in terms of talent since 2003, and we've already lost two games.

We have three good running backs, a much improved line, and a third year quarterback who is extremely mobile and a stud WR, and we can't move the ball consistently (point to this game all you want, Ill change my tune once I see this more often, and even then, offensive coaching blunders led to burning much needed timeouts, not to mention inexplicable abandoning formations that were effective)

I've seen some winning percentages being thrown around. Of course stoops wins games. No one is saying he is a terrible coach. But coaches like Lloyd Carr and Mack Brown (up until the last few years) have high winning percentages as well, are they automatically elite coaches? No, they are above average coaches that can recruit well, but with a history of blowing big games and underachieving with talent they bring in.

Call me spoiled all you want, I am not throwing a hissy fit. There are more important things in life to get upset about. But I am stating the truth, and the truth is that Stoops has not been an elite coach since 2004. Not terrible, but not elite.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 10:31 PM
Ohhhh golly gee, a game of gymnastic relativism.

But you get partial credit for getting the first part right - KSU was the better coached team today.

It's Bill freakin' Snyder. As far as not making mistakes go, you can't get better than that. Yet even his team made a lot of similar mistakes, and it cost them the game against Auburn.

EatLeadCommie
10/18/2014, 10:45 PM
I don't quite understand the sooner apologists. To me, they are trying to convince everyone that this coaching staff has not underachieved with the talent we have had over the last decade with reasons of "At least we aren't Vanderbilt fans". Or "He is a better coach than John Blake".

No one is really arguing that we are Big 12 bottom dwellers or that Stoops is losing 7 games a year. But I think it is reasonable to conclude that 2005-present has yielded a significant drop off from 1999-2004.

Some will rebut that by asking, "What about 2008?" Well, what about it, our staff had an offense that could put up 60 per game, yet still loss two games, one in part thanks to horrendous play calling at the goal line.

Let us not also forget 2007. I believe the talent of that team is massively understated, and we were more than capable of winning a title, especially that year when teams were just giving it away, but an abysmal lost to Colorado kept up out. (I won't even start with the miserable failure that was the fiesta bowl).

Since then, we have been no where near contention, awful losses all over the place, 3 quarterbacks whose abilities have been crippled due to coach blundering, and now here we are in 2014 with maybe our most complete team in terms of talent since 2003, and we've already lost two games.

We have three good running backs, a much improved line, and a third year quarterback who is extremely mobile and a stud WR, and we can't move the ball consistently (point to this game all you want, Ill change my tune once I see this more often, and even then, offensive coaching blunders led to burning much needed timeouts, not to mention inexplicable abandoning formations that were effective)

I've seen some winning percentages being thrown around. Of course stoops wins games. No one is saying he is a terrible coach. But coaches like Lloyd Carr and Mack Brown (up until the last few years) have high winning percentages as well, are they automatically elite coaches? No, they are above average coaches that can recruit well, but with a history of blowing big games and underachieving with talent they bring in.

Call me spoiled all you want, I am not throwing a hissy fit. There are more important things in life to get upset about. But I am stating the truth, and the truth is that Stoops has not been an elite coach since 2004. Not terrible, but not elite.
Yup. Except TK is a 2nd yr QB

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 11:03 PM

True. Trotting Jimmy Stevens out for the field goal attempt was laughable as well. But chances of winning that game went down dramatically with the stupid coaching one game before.

Again, as I've said in a another post. What do you think the reaction would be if Demarco Murray was on the field tomorrow to receive the opening kickoff? People would think Jason Garrett was nuts.

Was it any less nutty to have Demarco returning the opening kick in the Big XII Championship Game against Mizzou? (A game OU won 62-21) It's the single most violent play in football. Murray was hit awkwardly, blew out a knee, and was unavailable for the Championship Game.

manateepower
10/18/2014, 11:34 PM
Yup. Except TK is a 2nd yr QB

This is his third year with the team. I think it is fair to count his redshirt year.

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 11:55 PM
I have not ran across a college football show that did not talk about how terrible a call the pick six was. I am no football expert, if I was I'd being making six or more figures coaching football somewhere, but after you hear this from anyone who talks about our game today it is hard not to think if everyone says what an awful call it was, why didn't our coaches know before it was called?

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2014, 12:12 AM
I have not ran across a college football show that did not talk about how terrible a call the pick six was. I am no football expert, if I was I'd being making six or more figures coaching football somewhere, but after you hear this from anyone who talks about our game today it is hard not to think if everyone says what an awful call it was, why didn't our coaches know before it was called?

I'm sure they thought KSU was expecting a Perine run and it would be an easy 5 yards to get off the goal line. I like passing calls when a team is backed up like that - I've seen it result in big plays that flip the field. But I didn't like that route. For the risk involved, there was no potential big play. If they had Neal running a deep route up the sidelines against that single coverage, I would have cheered the call regardless of outcome. As it turned out, the play almost worked too well. KSU was so sure we would run, the DB kept his eyes in the backfield even though he was on an island. That's a big no-no because it's too easy to get beat deep, but it worked out for them because of the route and Neal ran it poorly to boot.

Therealsouthsider
10/19/2014, 12:39 AM
....OU doesn't play with much swagger anymore

....I long for the day when opponents were down 14 before they took the field because of the logo on our helmets. Everybody thinks they have the right to beat us, home or away....sad

ss

Soonerjeepman
10/19/2014, 12:43 AM
Yeah, there's no option to 'not care'. If there is, I've never been able to find it...I sat through every game of the 90's...hoping to win them all, upset when we lost. I don't think there's a cure for us.

same here...sucked but I'll be a Sooner til death....

Sooner91ATL
10/19/2014, 04:02 AM
My god this team has 5 more games left in regular season? It feels like one of those nightmares you can't wake up from already. I will be Twisty the Clown insane in 6 more weeks.

birddog
10/19/2014, 07:33 AM
I'm sure they thought KSU was expecting a Perine run and it would be an easy 5 yards to get off the goal line. I like passing calls when a team is backed up like that - I've seen it result in big plays that flip the field. But I didn't like that route. For the risk involved, there was no potential big play. If they had Neal running a deep route up the sidelines against that single coverage, I would have cheered the call regardless of outcome. As it turned out, the play almost worked too well. KSU was so sure we would run, the DB kept his eyes in the backfield even though he was on an island. That's a big no-no because it's too easy to get beat deep, but it worked out for them because of the route and Neal ran it poorly to boot.

In post game it was mentioned that we lined up for this play, took a timeout, and came out with the exact same play called. It allowed ksu a chance to see what we were going to do, hence the telegraphed pass and int.

BoomerJack
10/19/2014, 07:51 AM
I have two words for that play call that resulted in the KSU pick six : Stagger Lee. Read about it here http://articles.latimes.com/1988-01-11/sports/sp-23404_1_houston-oilers

I was living in Houston at the time. Jerry Glanville was pretty much a laughing stock even before this happened but his rep and people's feelings deteriorated even further after this.

HC Stoops and OC Heupel need to publicly admit this was a mistake/bad call and was a huge factor in the Sooners' loss.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/19/2014, 07:54 AM

This was the only play that I can truly bitch about. It was the route. Out and up would have been okay too. Tossing a telegraphed pass thirty yards across your body on the goal line is stupid. The rest of the game was pretty good. I can't expect every play to be perfect. I really didn't mind running Perine on third either. Our fat guys had been beating their fat guys.

Aries
10/19/2014, 07:58 AM
It wasn't a great call, but Knight should have thrown it away. The receiver was never open, and the window to get it over the CB to a place where the WR had a chance to catch it was extremely tiny. Even I could tell as soon as Knight turned that direction it was not going to work, and I'm not very good at recognizing stuff like that.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/19/2014, 08:29 AM
It wasn't a great call, but Knight should have thrown it away. The receiver was never open, and the window to get it over the CB to a place where the WR had a chance to catch it was extremely tiny. Even I could tell as soon as Knight turned that direction it was not going to work, and I'm not very good at recognizing stuff like that.

In the post game presser the only question I would have asked was " what the **** was that all about?"

Tragically stupid play. Other than that it was just football.

aero
10/19/2014, 09:23 AM
....OU doesn't play with much swagger anymore

....I long for the day teams when opponents were down 14 before they took the field because of the logo on our helmets. Everybody thinks they have the right to beat us, home or away....sad

ss

this

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2014, 10:27 AM
In post game it was mentioned that we lined up for this play, took a timeout, and came out with the exact same play called. It allowed ksu a chance to see what we were going to do, hence the telegraphed pass and int.

I don't see how that telegraphed it since we had not run that play at all, but okay. Most team predictably run up the middle trying to eek out a couple yards just to buy some room to operate. KSU had the safeties close and in the center of the field as if that was what they were expecting and thus Neal was single covered. No way the safety gets out there if we go over the top.

BoulderSooner79
10/19/2014, 10:34 AM
I didn't hate the Perine run on 3rd down as much as I hated the whole series of running him 3 times in a row. KSU pretty much made it clear they were selling out to stop Perine and we would have to beat them another way. Perine had been making yards on that drive, but that was in the meat of the field when their D was still defending the pass or other plays. Once we got to 1st and goal from the 4, it was too crowded with all those bodies in tight and a non-slasher like Perine running the ball. A D-line submarining every gap cannot be moved but it creates all kinds of opportunities elsewhere since they can't move laterally.

Sooner Schemer
10/19/2014, 11:16 AM
I don't see how that telegraphed it since we had not run that play at all, but okay. Most team predictably run up the middle trying to eek out a couple yards just to buy some room to operate. KSU had the safeties close and in the center of the field as if that was what they were expecting and thus Neal was single covered. No way the safety gets out there if we go over the top.This was immediately after a delay of game penalty where we threw to the right flat. So we had already shown a willingness to pass.

cherokeebrewer
10/19/2014, 11:42 AM
I take a loss very hard, but not as hard as I once did. It's not because I've lowered my expectations, it's because they have become too hard on my heart...

Sooner91ATL
10/19/2014, 11:46 AM
I used to go into a weeklong funk after a loss. Now it's more like 5 minutes, which is the amount of time it takes opposing coaches to scheme us up after watching game film.

SoonerorLater
10/19/2014, 12:26 PM
After sleeping on it, and I know I am in a minority here, I think the game plan was strategically correct. Both sides of the ball. The defense gave up 24 points to a good KSU offense. By in large they kept a good mobile QB in check. The D gave up 160 yards on the ground but almost half of that was on two plays so KSU never really got much going on the ground. Waters had a decent but not prolific day throwing the ball. While the 3 man rush and dropping eight can be painfully frustrating to watch it largely accomplished what was intended. Net results we gave up 3 touchdowns and a field goal. Going into this game I think most people would say we should be able to win at home against KSU giving up 24 points. On the minus side, our LB play just isn't very good. No wrap up tackling. I don't know how many yards of LBs were drug down the field after impact. We miss Frank Shannon.

The offense for the most part started to look like we thought they could. The game plan seemed more tailored to Knight's abilities and we moved the ball pretty well both air and ground. I was a little disappointed that our O line wasn't able to dominate a smallish KSU D line. My takeaway from this performance is that we really do not have many big play impact players on offense. The kind of guys the defense is always worried about taking it to the house from anywhere on the field. Shepard has the franchise in that department but I think of Shepard more as a really good receiver capable of making big plays. I would hate to think what this offense would look like without Shepard. Thought maybe Quick was going to get some work but he was soon forgotten. It's clear to me now why the coaching staff keeps trying to get Ross more involved and find situations for him to succeed even though from scrimmage the results are mixed.

The game plan was sound strategically but execution wise not so much. This game was turned just like the Texas game last week on low probability events. It worked in our favor last week. This week no. There isn't any way to game plan for a missed PAT or your All American FG kicker missing two relatively easy FGs. While the offense didn't make many mistakes the two they made were really big ones.

When I look at this team it seems like a talented bunch yet somehow underachieving their talent level. It's like the total is less than the sum of the parts. When we play a traditional type offense we limit our mistakes but have trouble moving the ball. When we open up a little, like yesterday, We move the ball but committed costly mental errors, both players and coaches. Our staff goes through timeouts like cheap bubble gum. No excuse for having so much confusion about coverage, having the correct number of players on the field or being unable to get a play in on a timely basis. Maybe this gets corrected and we win out but it seemed like this team could have been much better.

OUmillenium
10/19/2014, 01:20 PM
I used to go into a weeklong funk after a loss. Now it's more like 5 minutes, which is the amount of time it takes opposing coaches to scheme us up after watching game film.

^^^^THIIIISSSS!!!

aero
10/19/2014, 01:23 PM
After sleeping on it, and I know I am in a minority here, I think the game plan was strategically correct. Both sides of the ball. The defense gave up 24 points to a good KSU offense. By in large they kept a good mobile QB in check. The D gave up 160 yards on the ground but almost half of that was on two plays so KSU never really got much going on the ground. Waters had a decent but not prolific day throwing the ball. While the 3 man rush and dropping eight can be painfully frustrating to watch it largely accomplished what was intended. Net results we gave up 3 touchdowns and a field goal. Going into this game I think most people would say we should be able to win at home against KSU giving up 24 points. On the minus side, our LB play just isn't very good. No wrap up tackling. I don't know how many yards of LBs were drug down the field after impact. We miss Frank Shannon.

The offense for the most part started to look like we thought they could. The game plan seemed more tailored to Knight's abilities and we moved the ball pretty well both air and ground. I was a little disappointed that our O line wasn't able to dominate a smallish KSU D line. My takeaway from this performance is that we really do not have many big play impact players on offense. The kind of guys the defense is always worried about taking it to the house from anywhere on the field. Shepard has the franchise in that department but I think of Shepard more as a really good receiver capable of making big plays. I would hate to think what this offense would look like without Shepard. Thought maybe Quick was going to get some work but he was soon forgotten. It's clear to me now why the coaching staff keeps trying to get Ross more involved and find situations for him to succeed even though from scrimmage the results are mixed.

The game plan was sound strategically but execution wise not so much. This game was turned just like the Texas game last week on low probability events. It worked in our favor last week. This week no. There isn't any way to game plan for a missed PAT or your All American FG kicker missing two relatively easy FGs. While the offense didn't make many mistakes the two they made were really big ones.

When I look at this team it seems like a talented bunch yet somehow underachieving their talent level. It's like the total is less than the sum of the parts. When we play a traditional type offense we limit our mistakes but have trouble moving the ball. When we open up a little, like yesterday, We move the ball but committed costly mental errors, both players and coaches. Our staff goes through timeouts like cheap bubble gum. No excuse for having so much confusion about coverage, having the correct number of players on the field or being unable to get a play in on a timely basis. Maybe this gets corrected and we win out but it seemed like this team could have been much better.

good post

Piware
10/19/2014, 02:35 PM
Given what he's paid compared to other head coaches, he damn well better win 80 percent of his games. But the focus of this string has been about whether he can still compete for another NC. Does he have what it takes to make the four team playoff?

Why are you obsessing with what he is paid? That's a very Poke thing to say. Every team in college football history has had a down year or two when they have to reload. We could realistically have a 10 win season and there are a lot of ADs that would give their left nut for that. Enjoy our wins, don't fret over the losses and quit trying to second guess everyone in the program. You will be a lot happier and way less annoying on this board.

You are about to earn yourself an introduction to the Ignore button. If you don't like the program go park your bandwagon somewhere else.

SoCalBigRed
10/19/2014, 04:06 PM

Patterson .583
Briles .579
Saban .750
Freeze .689
Mullen .600
Malzahn .813
Helfrich .842
Stoops .802

Neither do I.

cvsooner
10/20/2014, 04:49 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old and hopefully a bit wiser, but to expect 19 and 20 year old kids to do exactly what you tell them to do every single time isn't happening. I'm not pleased we lost to TCU nor to KSU, but I also recognize we're two plays and five points away from being 7-0. Every team makes mistakes. Ours were fatal on the scoreboard.

I was worried about this four game stretch from WVU through KSU and said so in an earlier post. I honestly thought we'd come through at 3-1; Patterson and Snyder are simply too good to have locks on for wins. Patterson is personally a jerk, from what I can see, but he has done a great job with their program. Snyder I wish would retire for good, and nobody at KSU recruit anybody named Lockett (I read there are three more at home?).

It's clear to me that Stoops isn't one for airing his exchanges with his staff outside the meeting rooms, and in fact, he will defend them up to a certain point, and then they're encouraged to leave. Which is how we got Bedenbaugh and Montgomery and Boulware. All three didn't have their best days either. Not sure what happened to the better blocking we were seeing, or the sterling line play or the special teams last Saturday, but all three had issues.

It happens. But for two interceptions this team is 7-0 and atop the Big 12 standings. Twasn't meant to be, I guess.

8timechamps
10/20/2014, 07:33 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old and hopefully a bit wiser, but to expect 19 and 20 year old kids to do exactly what you tell them to do every single time isn't happening. I'm not pleased we lost to TCU nor to KSU, but I also recognize we're two plays and five points away from being 7-0. Every team makes mistakes. Ours were fatal on the scoreboard.

I was worried about this four game stretch from WVU through KSU and said so in an earlier post. I honestly thought we'd come through at 3-1; Patterson and Snyder are simply too good to have locks on for wins. Patterson is personally a jerk, from what I can see, but he has done a great job with their program. Snyder I wish would retire for good, and nobody at KSU recruit anybody named Lockett (I read there are three more at home?).

It's clear to me that Stoops isn't one for airing his exchanges with his staff outside the meeting rooms, and in fact, he will defend them up to a certain point, and then they're encouraged to leave. Which is how we got Bedenbaugh and Montgomery and Boulware. All three didn't have their best days either. Not sure what happened to the better blocking we were seeing, or the sterling line play or the special teams last Saturday, but all three had issues.

It happens. But for two interceptions this team is 7-0 and atop the Big 12 standings. Twasn't meant to be, I guess.

Good post.

I can't put my finger on the exact reason, but it's clear we've not played well (in all three phases) since WVU. I'm sure the coaches are very aware of it too, and this could be the best possible time for a bye week. Extra time to work on the things that need it most before going down the back stretch of the season.

It's frustrating that the two losses this year were by a combined 4 points, and even more frustrating that we did more to lose those games than the opposition did to win them. However, that's how it worked out, and that's where this team finds itself.

There isn't a game left on the schedule that this team can't win. And there's really only one tough team left to play in Baylor. All of the teams left on our schedule (except maybe KU) can beat us if we don't show up to play. It's going to be up to this team to find a way to bounce back and finish strong. 10-2 may not be enough to get a playoff spot, but it's hardly a bad season, and would be enough to be proud of and build on going into next year.

cvsooner
10/20/2014, 07:58 PM
I'm sure the coaches' meetings yesterday and today were pretty interesting. Stoops sure seemed down at his press conference; no big surprise there. Bob Stoops is a very smart man, and a proud one, and a fierce competitor, and he knows, clearly, what he's seeing and he doesn't like it. But at some point Mr. Bad Guy is going to have to emerge. If the problem is with his brother, or if it's with the star QB who brought him his only NC so far, he's going to have to deal with it. Whether that means switching up Norvell with Heupel, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, or finding someone to handle linebackers besides Kish--our LB play is woeful at this point; loss of Frank Shannon came at a terrible time.

The one stat that stands out to me is nearly half of KSU's yards came on four plays, which strikes me as emblematic of MS's defenses. On 50+plays KSU got only about 200 yards, but on four another 200. Did a pretty good job of handling Lockett, particularly compared to last year. But Waters, whom we handled pretty well last year, was too effective.

Other than that, I'm not sure how you fix it. College recruiting is so hit and miss--Ahmad Thomas was supposed to be this great safety, and either he's flat not ready (which is likely), AND he's the best we have, which is scary, but he's learning. At least I hope he's learning.

I do have to wonder how this game might've played out if KSU hadn't had the bye, after some pretty easy opponents. I don't see them going undefeated the rest of the way, nor do I see TCU getting off scot free (and if you think our D is underperforming, get a load of the stink up in Stoolwater--they made us look like the 1985 Chicago Bears against the Horned Frogs).

It's conceivable the Big 12 title could be a three or four way split, with everybody having two losses. I don't think obviously we'll make it into the playoffs, but the cliché may be true that we're conceivably the best two-loss team in the country. When we're on, everything is clicking, we're pretty formidable. But our secondary is a mixed bag at best and our LBs are barely adequate.

Offensively we've got some talent but we're maddeningly inconsistent (unless your name is Sterling Shepard). Our line is adequate and we've got good depth, and a QB who is great when he's hot but disastrous when he's cold. 82 percent completion rate and three TDs...oh, and a pick 6 that never should have been thrown. Nor the end-around pass by Neal. A lot of that is just experience and it's painful to see--I don't mind it so much if players learn not to do that again. Go make new mistakes; don't keep making the same old ones.

And the playcalling: jeepers, you, as O coordinator, know you're missing perhaps your two best blockers in the formation with goal to go from the one, and you continue to try to run Perrine into the line. Okay, I can see doing it once. After that, fake it and head around end. Or, the thing I've never understood, from inside the two, I'd run a run-pass option every time, unless I had a clear edge in personnel.

All that said, Hunnicutt makes either or both field goals and we're at 6-1. We had chances to win, got ourselves into chances to win this game several times. And then couldn't or didn't do it.

As I say, I still think it's possible to win the Big 12, but now all the margin for error is gone.

BoulderSooner79
10/20/2014, 10:00 PM
There was a posting on TFB about Bob being super serious after the TCU loss. After the KSU game, I'll bet he is super-duper-if-anyone-even-cracks-a-smile-they'll-be-given-to-Schmitty-for-a-week serious. I think there is only one higher level of serious, so we better win out to avoid going there.

:gary::gary: <== Gary being serious

JLEW1818
10/21/2014, 08:30 AM
Two losses by a combined 5 points

EatLeadCommie
10/21/2014, 01:22 PM
4 losses in less than 4 seasons at home. If we've lost our home mojo, we won't be contending for a natty anytime soon.

cvsooner
10/21/2014, 01:34 PM
Three of those losses at least were to good teams (one played for a national title and one went to the BCS Fiesta that season, and this season KSU looks at least formidable). The inexplicable one was the Tech game. Still crazy in retrospect.

TrophyCollector
10/21/2014, 01:52 PM
4 losses in less than 4 seasons at home. If we've lost our home mojo, we won't be contending for a Big XII title anytime soon.

FIFY

8timechamps
10/21/2014, 04:45 PM
Three of those losses at least were to good teams (one played for a national title and one went to the BCS Fiesta that season, and this season KSU looks at least formidable). The inexplicable one was the Tech game. Still crazy in retrospect.

There's no way to ever understand that loss. I've filed it under "Rain delay caused us to lose" in my mind, and never plan to revisit that game.

You're right, the other three loses were to pretty damn good teams (and it certainly looks like KSU is set to make a run at the top). That doesn't make it any easier to stomach, but it does make it a little easier to understand.

At the time of our 'invincible at home' streak, I didn't take the time to really appreciate what we had going on. That was pretty amazing.

cvsooner
10/21/2014, 05:27 PM
You know, too, the part of this we seem to have a hard time accepting is that maybe the other team is pretty good too. Somebody's going to get outplayed/outcoached every game, you know? We've got a funny mix of experience/inexperience/talent in the program right now, from players to coaches. The future is bright if things continue to develop. I know we as fans get frustrated but we had a decline that set in after 2008 and it's not been addressed until last year. I figure it'll take another season or two to really get it fixed.