PDA

View Full Version : SIX STRAIGHT YEARS...

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 02:29 PM
…that OU isn't in serious contention for a national title in November.

If the goal is to win another National Championship, this staff doesn't have what it takes. Does any more evidence need to be seen to conclude this?

GDC
10/18/2014, 02:47 PM
I wonder how many recruits left the game impressed by this performance.

nanimonai
10/18/2014, 02:51 PM
This is obviously the lowest period of years in Stoops' tenure at OU and even at the worst we're not sinking nearly as bad as other national power teams do in their lean years. Look at Texas, Florida, Tennessee in their bad years recently. We never lost 77-0 to anyone, fired off a bowl-less 4-8 season etc etc. We still haven't lost back to back regular season games since 1999.

We don't have national title caliber talent right now and it's about that simple.

ObiKaTony
10/18/2014, 02:52 PM
I wonder how many recruits left the game impressed by this performance.

Let us hope they aren't lb's

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 02:53 PM
Stoops is what he is 9-4 or 10-3. I don't see this team winning a National Championship in the near future but also don't see them going 7-6. The problem with firing college coaches is the school waits until the program is in the toilet (see Michigan) before they make a move and by then it's too late. Plus there isn't a glut if good college coaches looking for jobs as there is in the NFL.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 03:01 PM
This is obviously the lowest period of years in Stoops' tenure at OU and even at the worst we're not sinking nearly as bad as other national power teams do in their lean years. Look at Texas, Florida, Tennessee in their bad years recently. We never lost 77-0 to anyone, fired off a bowl-less 4-8 season etc etc. We still haven't lost back to back regular season games since 1999.

We don't have national title caliber talent right now and it's about that simple.

We may not have National Title caliber talent. But it's also a very fair question whether we have National Title caliber coaching. Does Ole Miss and MSU really have that much better talent than us????

TrophyCollector
10/18/2014, 03:01 PM

Nor coaching.

aero
10/18/2014, 03:13 PM
This team may have the players to contend for an NC but they won't with the coaching staff. And I don't mean BS but the offense is simply pathetic. I watch high school football on tv and see more creative offensive playcalling than what I've seen at OU in the last 3 or 4 years. It's baffling to say the least. KSU loaded the box and we still run it right into the teeth of their D. Snyder was so sure he sent in more linemen. Now Snyder is a helluva coach but my 17 year old daughter could have called that and she doesn't even watch football. In the past I've heard the coaches scheme around the players they have but I don't buy that for one second. I think we are similar to how Texas was with Mack Brown. Our players are being limited by what they are being coached. And speaking of Texas, Stoops better correct his staff quick because I think Strong is going to have Texas competing nationally very soon.

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 03:17 PM
This team may have the players to contend for an NC but they won't with the coaching staff. And I don't mean BS but the offense is simply pathetic. I watch high school football on tv and see more creative offensive playcalling than what I've seen at OU in the last 3 or 4 years. It's baffling to say the least. KSU loaded the box and we still run it right into the teeth of their D. Snyder was so sure he sent in more linemen. Now Snyder is a helluva coach but my 17 year old daughter could have called that and she doesn't even watch football. In the past I've heard the coaches scheme around the players they have but I don't buy that for one second. I think we are similar to how Texas was with Mack Brown. Our players are being limited by what they are being coached. And speaking of Texas, Stoops better correct his staff quick because I think Strong is going to have Texas competing nationally very soon.

Today was the least they've scored in conference play, 30 points, the D can't stop a nosebleed. I know everyone wants to pile on Heupel but when you average 35pts a game you should win.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/18/2014, 03:28 PM
When I see posts like this, I often wonder how Nebraska has any MNCs.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 03:32 PM
There are clearly coaching problems on both sides of the ball.

The questions are simple.

1. Is Stoops paid an amount for which is is rightfully expected to be legitimately in the hunt for National Championships on a regular basis?
2. If the answer to #1 is yes, then is he delivering that type of product on the field?

3. Is the OU faithful satisfied with a team that won't compete for National Championships, but will regularly go somewhere between 10-2 and 8-4 during the regular season?

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 03:32 PM
Stoops is what he is 9-4 or 10-3. I don't see this team winning a National Championship in the near future but also don't see them going 7-6. The problem with firing college coaches is the school waits until the program is in the toilet (see Michigan) before they make a move and by then it's too late. Plus there isn't a glut if good college coaches looking for jobs as there is in the NFL.

big game will never fire his brother...............

SoonerMarkVA
10/18/2014, 03:52 PM
Let us hope they aren't lb's

Or safeties.

SoonerMarkVA
10/18/2014, 03:53 PM

I cannot even fathom why we're talking about the offense based on what I just witnessed on the defense. 30 points at home isn't enough for a win?

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 03:57 PM
I cannot even fathom why we're talking about the offense based on what I just witnessed on the defense. 30 points at home isn't enough for a win?

The defense gave up 24 points against a KSU offense that averages 39 points a game. This wasn't a fail by the defense.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/18/2014, 04:04 PM
We may not have National Title caliber talent. But it's also a very fair question whether we have National Title caliber coaching. Does Ole Miss and MSU really have that much better talent than us????

The last time we won the NC we didn't have national title caliber talent either. But we did have national title caliber coaching and national title caliber grit and hunger.

soonergirlNeugene
10/18/2014, 04:13 PM
You know, Animal Planet really has their Saturday game down pretty tight. Non-stop videos of puppies and kittens all day long. I suggest the OP take a breather, click over and check out the puppies, and then come back to post.

aero
10/18/2014, 04:15 PM

It's not just this game but almost every game against a decent opponent. We should have scored more and the game shouldn't have been that close. The defense has had some issues but overall they've held up enough. Even the TCU game I thought there were several plays the the defense came very close to making plays that could have been the difference. An almost interception, an almost sack. They were close. But the offense isn't helping. This game wasn't bad on t.o.p. but there have been others where the offense can't sustain a drive or even get a first down and the d is back on the field. You give most of these offenses enough chances and they are going to score. And yes, I am also venting some pent up frustration with my team. I watch other teams and quite a few that I feel don't have as good as players but they have better plays. And it really stands out on offense. If our offense was better it would undoubtedly make the d better also. And they're not too bad right now.

aero
10/18/2014, 04:17 PM
The last time we won the NC we didn't have national title caliber talent either. But we did have national title caliber coaching and national title caliber grit and hunger.

Amen! And Bob made some great (lucky?) personnel changes which helped us stay in the hunt for 5 or 6 years.

aurorasooner
10/18/2014, 04:23 PM
The last time we won the NC we didn't have national title caliber talent either. But we did have national title caliber coaching and national title caliber grit and hunger.I've just got to think there is something not quite right with this staff.
It's either some dissension from the top for the friends-and-family-plan coaches being forced out or perhaps some of the position coaches are not all-in with our coordinators. In any event, I doubt we'll be anything but middle-of-the-road win-the-Big-12 every 3 or 4 years with this staff, as is.
I also think some of the players that we recruit don't have much football sense or maybe they can't spell cat. It's either that or our coaches aren't paying that much attention to detail and not coaching the little things to be successful.

Temujin
10/18/2014, 04:23 PM
The defense gave up 24 points against a KSU offense that averages 39 points a game. This wasn't a fail by the defense.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Not that I'm happy with the defense by any means. You really can't excuse a 3-man rush on 3rd down that gets no pressure on the QB, nor can you really excuse playing off and allowing WRs to get a free release when you finally do send a blitz. But at the same time, no Rip and no Bell, and everyone in the sports universe knows that Perine's getting the ball on 3rd and goal at the 2...c'mon. I mean, I'm all for manning up and getting the yards the tough way, but at no point in the game had we shown that we could actually do that when they loaded the box.

So many failures at so many places. Hard to understand. I think leadership is an issue. TCU practically gave us the game through penalties and turnovers, but when it came down to it we couldn't capitalize. Despite our own mistakes and turnovers, we still had a chance to win, but couldn't step up and make the necessary plays.

Or maybe the color purple is just as vomit-inducing for the coaches/players as it is for fans.

God I hate losing to KSU. Their hee-hawing fanbase is going to be extra intolerable this week.

TrophyCollector
10/18/2014, 04:47 PM

Nailed it! We have Fat & Happy coaches with mansions that no longer have to fight for their jobs.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Not that I'm happy with the defense by any means. You really can't excuse a 3-man rush on 3rd down that gets no pressure on the QB, nor can you really excuse playing off and allowing WRs to get a free release when you finally do send a blitz. But at the same time, no Rip and no Bell, and everyone in the sports universe knows that Perine's getting the ball on 3rd and goal at the 2...c'mon. I mean, I'm all for manning up and getting the yards the tough way, but at no point in the game had we shown that we could actually do that when they loaded the box.

So many failures at so many places. Hard to understand. I think leadership is an issue. TCU practically gave us the game through penalties and turnovers, but when it came down to it we couldn't capitalize. Despite our own mistakes and turnovers, we still had a chance to win, but couldn't step up and make the necessary plays.

Or maybe the color purple is just as vomit-inducing for the coaches/players as it is for fans.

God I hate losing to KSU. Their hee-hawing fanbase is going to be extra intolerable this week.

Bingo. All season this line has lost on short-yardage "we are going to run, and we know you know it" downs. But for some reason Josh keeps hoping. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results...

TrophyCollector
10/18/2014, 04:57 PM
Bingo. All season this line has lost on short-yardage "we are going to run, and we know you know it" downs. But for some reason Josh keeps hoping. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results...

He's only been calling plays for a few years, so that should be expected. He'll be a lot better in 10 years.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 05:02 PM
He's only been calling plays for a few years, so that should be expected. He'll be a lot better in 10 years.

God help us if that next 10 years is at OU.

aurorasooner
10/18/2014, 05:07 PM

God I hate losing to KSU. Their hee-hawing fanbase is going to be extra intolerable this week.I've been wondering about this, or more specifically is the commitment to Fox for all the OU coaching shows, coaching call-in shows (sort of like the early Mack Brown comment about the LwH network and time commitment) being a positive for the Sooner FB team play on the field. You'd think the head coach and other coaches would be able to handle it with the more than generous salaries that they're bringing in, but I don't know if they realistically can.
If we keep coughing up games though whether it's due to the players not executing or the coaches not being above average with their game plans, it won't make any difference because hardly anyone will give a damn about watching these OU coach's shows for their opinions.

TrophyCollector
10/18/2014, 05:09 PM
God help us if that next 10 years is at OU.

I wouldn't think a top tier program like OU would become a training ground for play callers so who knows.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't think a top tier program like OU would become a training ground for play callers so who knows.

Unfortunately, that is what it is. Many people have argued (and the facts seem to prove it), that Heupel was promoted to that position WAY TOO SOON.

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately, that is what it is. Many people have argued (and the facts seem to prove it), that Heupel was promoted to that position WAY TOO SOON.

Agreed. And I was one of those who looked forward to him becoming the OC. Silly me....

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 05:55 PM
Agreed. And I was one of those who looked forward to him becoming the OC. Silly me....

I was guilty of it too. Many of us were. But we now see that it's just not working out as well as it needs to be. Hopefully, the decision makers at OU will come to that conclusion too and take action.

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 05:57 PM
I was guilty of it too. Many of us were. But we now see that it's just not working out as well as it needs to be. Hopefully, the decision makers at OU will come to that conclusion too and take action.

I doubt it! It took forever to get rid of Venables and company. I figure Heupel has another 2-3 years of mediocrity left before he's gone.

JLEW1818
10/18/2014, 06:03 PM
Wow ... Time flys..
Seems like yesterday Sam was throwing all over Tech at home, 2008.

nanimonai
10/18/2014, 07:41 PM
Wow ... Time flys..
Seems like yesterday Sam was throwing all over Tech at home, 2008.

When we won in 2000, it seemed like it had been 50 years since the last NC in 1985. Next year it will be the same amount of time, equal to the last Switzer years, Gibbs, Sanders, and Blake.

aurorasooner
10/18/2014, 07:46 PM
Sanders? was he that High School OC that Boo had running our "change the QB weekly" offense?

nanimonai
10/18/2014, 07:55 PM
Sanders? was he that High School OC that Boo had running our "change the QB weekly" offense?

Sanders as in the Colonel who liked his scotch.

soonerfan69
10/18/2014, 08:02 PM
Does anyone really think that even if they would've made it to the playoff with this defense they wouldn't get blown out

SoonerMarkVA
10/18/2014, 08:17 PM
Does anyone really think that even if they would've made it to the playoff with this defense they wouldn't get blown out

Nope. This defense is lost if it can't force turnovers and sack the QB. And it didn't do any of one, and way too little of the other, today.

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 08:34 PM
Hold on guys the defense gave up 24 points today. 24 points to a team averaging almost 40 per game. What the deal is, if our defense doesn't force turnovers and produce points then the offense doesn't have enough firepower to win games. The defense kept the scoring down and the offense made two key turnovers in the redzone, one for a walk-in touchdown. The defense did their job.

Soonerwake
10/18/2014, 09:05 PM
It's posts like these that are the reason I stay away from this board for a few days after a loss.

What was I thinking? Geesh.....

aero
10/18/2014, 09:35 PM
Hold on guys the defense gave up 24 points today. 24 points to a team averaging almost 40 per game. What the deal is, if our defense doesn't force turnovers and produce points then the offense doesn't have enough firepower to win games. The defense kept the scoring down and the offense made two key turnovers in the redzone, one for a walk-in touchdown. The defense did their job.

Agreed. The defense isn't what they looked like early but they aren't the biggest problem. It seems in earlier games we got a lot of pressure on the qb. What happened to more blitzing? A 3 man rush would be ok if we had 3 beasts which we don't. No pressure on the qb only allows time for someone to get open which they will. I think the d can do better but this offense at times is hard to watch. Especially in the red zone.

Curly Bill
10/18/2014, 09:43 PM
It's posts like these that are the reason I stay away from this board for a few days after a loss.

What was I thinking? Geesh.....

You were thinking you'd come here and find a bunch of happy Sooner fans after 3 straight weeks of bad football, 2 of em being losses?

Sooner91ATL
10/19/2014, 11:50 AM
The monster shrugs and says...meh.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Sooner Salesman
10/21/2014, 09:46 PM
I've been disappointed by OU football in the Stoops era too many times that I'm to the point that I should never expect the Sooners to win another national title until it actually happens.

I think Bob Stoops is a good coach, I don't know if a new coach would do any better, but there comes a point where a change has to be made, whether that's expectations or coaches.

I realize it's very hard to win a College Football National Title, but you can't keep using that excuse year after year, especially when it's going on 15 years now.

Something has to change.

mainline13
10/22/2014, 12:57 PM
There are clearly coaching problems on both sides of the ball.

The questions are simple.

1. Is Stoops paid an amount for which is is rightfully expected to be legitimately in the hunt for National Championships on a regular basis?
2. If the answer to #1 is yes, then is he delivering that type of product on the field?

3. Is the OU faithful satisfied with a team that won't compete for National Championships, but will regularly go somewhere between 10-2 and 8-4 during the regular season?

Hmmm. "Is" being a singular verb, I guess that means that only one OU fan is faithful - so I guess that's me. Am I satisfied? No. But if the alternative is to have no ethics, then make that a yes.

For any of the non-faithful, there are less-than-ethical teams/programs/coaches aplenty out there. 'Bama's always looking for more bandwagon fans, and you can keep all your crimson gear.

And before anybody wonders if I am saying that nobody should post anything negative, blah-blah-blah, I am not. I am responding to a question that, considered grammatically, was being directed solely to myself, as "the OU faithful."

And they say grammar isn't important. Hah!

Soonerjeepman
10/22/2014, 01:05 PM

actually 40.2 or something like that....

agree...the O gave them 7 as well....D did a decent job. Cut makes that FG, we win. I believe the D would have stopped them

Since71ASooner4Life
10/22/2014, 01:14 PM

Bingo

Snrinhouston
10/22/2014, 02:15 PM
Hmmm. "Is" being a singular verb, I guess that means that only one OU fan is faithful - so I guess that's me. Am I satisfied? No. But if the alternative is to have no ethics, then make that a yes.

For any of the non-faithful, there are less-than-ethical teams/programs/coaches aplenty out there. 'Bama's always looking for more bandwagon fans, and you can keep all your crimson gear.

And before anybody wonders if I am saying that nobody should post anything negative, blah-blah-blah, I am not. I am responding to a question that, considered grammatically, was being directed solely to myself, as "the OU faithful."

And they say grammar isn't important. Hah!

Well, good for you! You keep a copy of "Elements of Style" in your shirt pocket protector.

Snrinhouston
10/22/2014, 02:19 PM

I have no idea if this is true. But let's suppose it is. If we don't have top-end talent to compete for National Championships, why is Stoops getting paid top-end money?

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2014, 02:28 PM
I have no idea if this is true. But let's suppose it is. If we don't have top-end talent to compete for National Championships, why is Stoops getting paid top-end money?

Because he is meeting the goals set out for him by his management chain.

Snrinhouston
10/22/2014, 02:37 PM

If that is true, then it seems the traditional goals of OU football have been lowered.

Sooner Salesman
10/22/2014, 03:20 PM
If that is true, then it seems the traditional goals of OU football have been lowered.

The current state of OU football program is that it is spinning it's wheels.

The original subject of this thread is exactly right, OU hasn't been in serious national title contention since 2008. Since then the Sooner Nation has been forced to live through 2-3 loss seasons. I'm not someone who expects a national title every year, but you can't keep using the excuse of it's hard to win one year after year.

Something has to change, expectations or coaches.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2014, 03:44 PM

I just state a general truism of how anyone earns their pay. I don't know what the goals used to be or what they are now. My guess is that it is more related to revenue than winning percentage. It's great that OU has built this big money machine in the entertainment industry, but the cost of running that machine is high as well. If revenue from TV/tickets/merchandise wane, it won't take long for the costs of staff, facilities, equipment, scholarships etc, to become red ink. Fan displeasure is directly tied to W/L and is a leading indicator, but the revenue flow is a trailing indicator as it takes a while for that emotion to close wallets.

SoonerorLater
10/22/2014, 04:00 PM

I think it is a mistake to assume that NC's are the be all and end all of what makes a great coach. 10-3 for the year is pretty good. If you have 10 -3, 11-2 type seasons year after year then you become considered one of the best. Check and see how many coaches can do this. It's not unique to football. In baseball if you hit 35-40 home runs you won't win a home run title. You hit 35-40 home runs for 12-15 years you end up in the Hall of Fame

Snrinhouston
10/22/2014, 04:40 PM
I think it is a mistake to assume that NC's are the be all and end all of what makes a great coach. 10-3 for the year is pretty good. If you have 10 -3, 11-2 type seasons year after year then you become considered one of the best. Check and see how many coaches can do this. It's not unique to football. In baseball if you hit 35-40 home runs you won't win a home run title. You hit 35-40 home runs for 12-15 years you end up in the Hall of Fame

Two points:

1. 10-3 is a pretty good year. Does Bob get paid "pretty good" money or really, really good money? He is second only to Saban, so I would argue the latter. So it seems incongruous to keep getting paid really really good money for a string of pretty good years.

2. Unless things have changed, I thought OU was a heritage program that expected to regularly compete for National Titles. Not expected to win one each year, or every two years, or even every three years or four years. But it's now been 6 years since OU competed deep into November for a National Title. I would classify a 6 year dearth as HIGHLY irregular.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2014, 05:35 PM
Two points:

1. 10-3 is a pretty good year. Does Bob get paid "pretty good" money or really, really good money? He is second only to Saban, so I would argue the latter. So it seems incongruous to keep getting paid really really good money for a string of pretty good years.

2. Unless things have changed, I thought OU was a heritage program that expected to regularly compete for National Titles. Not expected to win one each year, or every two years, or even every three years or four years. But it's now been 6 years since OU competed deep into November for a National Title. I would classify a 6 year dearth as HIGHLY irregular.

OU was #7 in football revenue in 2013, so you could argue Stoops is a little high by that measure. But that's actually a pretty good number considering (if I'm correct) that our conference payouts are not as good as the deal the SEC got. Saban is also a bit high as Bama was #3 in football revenue but Saban is the highest paid coach by a good bit. So clearly resume over time is a factor as well. Strong and Sumlin are right up their with Stoops on pay - would you prefer they coach OU? Oh, wait. You think recent W/L records are the only thing determines pay. Nevermind.

BTW, I'm sure you realize there are some hefty bonuses in Stoops (and staff) contract directly tied to the current year's results. Wins, conference titles, quality of bowl invite, bowl win, and I'm sure the BCS title has been rewritten to cover the new playoff format. Those bonuses are cut and dried and immediate in impact.

SoonerorLater
10/22/2014, 06:02 PM
Two points:

I'm not sure what you would want done here. Bob Stoops, like other coach's contracts, are forward based not drafted on how the current season is going. They might have some incentives built in but that would be spelled out in the individual contracts. I seriously doubt that even if you could do it that cutting Bob Stoops salary would in any way be helpful to putting a better team on the field do you? There are so many other variables that the administration considers as important as any season's W-L record. Graduation rates and running a clean program. Urban Meyer won two NC's at Florida but left scorched earth that Florida is still trying to recover from, and they have the built in advantage of being in one of the best recruiting grounds in the country.

While we all here may love Norman I don't think we give much thought to the task at hand to get West Coast Kids or the Florida Kids to put Oklahoma on their radar. To Texas kids a little easier sell but still stiff competition. Once they get here most are glad they did. The fact that OU is a premiere program makes the recruiting job easier to be sure. I would think it's much easier to recruit to a 10-3 team where these recruits could envision themselves being the difference in a in 10-3 and a NC type team.

This is where I think continuity and putting a good team on the field is critical even if it isn't NC caliber. Going all in for the brass ring by bringing in the latest hot coaching commodity has by in large not been successful for most teams and the ones where it has been successful have not had much of a choice or their previous coaches were less than stellar. To this point only two head modern era coaches have picked OU up off of the mat and brought them back to National prominence. One is dead and the other is our current coach.

I guess my point is, that all factors considered, Bob Stoops string of good years does warrant his pay. Even if it didn't the contract has been signed so that is something that would need be addressed next contract negotiation if the brass felt he wasn't performing as expected.

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2014, 06:21 PM
Bob's salary will never be cut. It may stagnate as well as missing out on incentive bonuses, but it won't be restructured. If it is deemed he is not doing his job, he will either quit or be encouraged to retire ala Mack Brown.

Snrinhouston
10/22/2014, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure what you would want done here. Bob Stoops, like other coach's contracts, are forward based not drafted on how the current season is going. They might have some incentives built in but that would be spelled out in the individual contracts. I seriously doubt that even if you could do it that cutting Bob Stoops salary would in any way be helpful to putting a better team on the field do you? There are so many other variables that the administration considers as important as any season's W-L record. Graduation rates and running a clean program. Urban Meyer won two NC's at Florida but left scorched earth that Florida is still trying to recover from, and they have the built in advantage of being in one of the best recruiting grounds in the country.

While we all here may love Norman I don't think we give much thought to the task at hand to get West Coast Kids or the Florida Kids to put Oklahoma on their radar. To Texas kids a little easier sell but still stiff competition. Once they get here most are glad they did. The fact that OU is a premiere program makes the recruiting job easier to be sure. I would think it's much easier to recruit to a 10-3 team where these recruits could envision themselves being the difference in a in 10-3 and a NC type team.

This is where I think continuity and putting a good team on the field is critical even if it isn't NC caliber. Going all in for the brass ring by bringing in the latest hot coaching commodity has by in large not been successful for most teams and the ones where it has been successful have not had much of a choice or their previous coaches were less than stellar. To this point only two head modern era coaches have picked OU up off of the mat and brought them back to National prominence. One is dead and the other is our current coach.

I guess my point is, that all factors considered, Bob Stoops string of good years does warrant his pay. Even if it didn't the contract has been signed so that is something that would need be addressed next contract negotiation if the brass felt he wasn't performing as expected.

All these points are good and well received. And having considered them, it helps me focus on what REALLY bothers me about this year. The sense…actually the reality, that the coaches just don't have the act together. The best example is the continued sloppy/inefficient use of coach-called timeouts this season. Sometimes it's been to avoid a penalty because a player didn't line up correctly….sometimes it's been because the play wasn't relayed down quickly enough and the play clock was about to expire. Whatever the case, it's been unmistakeable how OU has been burning through the timeouts. And when this happens, I can't be the only one thinking, "Geez, what does $5.2 million/year buy in coaches nowadays?" At the very least shouldn't that include mastery of the basics. What if you checked in to a Four Seasons and there was no ironing board or iron in your room? Wouldn't you think, "WTF?"

BoulderSooner79
10/22/2014, 11:09 PM
Snrnhouston, at least you're doggedly consistent. What is it with Stoops pay? Are you writing the checks? I would expect good organization and management from any coach at OU to maintain a high level program. I don't really give a ratz azz if he is paid $10M or the lowest of all D1 coaches. I would expect that as part of the requirements of being the coach at OU. But then, I am not writing the checks, so there's that.