PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with our coaching staff?

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 11:53 AM
We are a terribly coached team.

JLEW1818
10/18/2014, 11:55 AM
****ing worthless

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 11:59 AM
Bob Stoops is an interesting character. He seems like winning Big 12 Championships is the end all, be all of the Sooner program. In his entire tenure the team has lacked discipline and intestinal fortitude but he does win 9+ games a year and I think OU admin still remembers 94-99.

SoonerForLife92
10/18/2014, 12:01 PM
That touchdown disagrees.

I'm starting to get really nervous with Knight though. He throws to his first read practically every time even when their covered (ex. pick 6)

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 12:04 PM
That touchdown disagrees.

I'm starting to get really nervous with Knight though. He throws to his first read practically every time even when their covered (ex. pick 6)

A bad play by ksu cornerback has nothing to do with our coaching. Now taking a timeout because they have wide splits? Sad.

SoonerForLife92
10/18/2014, 12:05 PM
A bad play by ksu cornerback has nothing to do with our coaching. Now taking a timeout because they have wide splits? Sad.

So the over the middle pass to Bell was a lucky play? It was a good call, and gave us momentum to keep passing

I'm not the biggest fan of our coaching taff right now (see my post in the Dmitri Flowers thread) but i'm not going to b*tch about them when we are mixing up the run game this game like i've been saying we should do way more

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 12:11 PM
So the over the middle pass to Bell was a lucky play? It was a good call, and gave us momentum to keep passing

I'm not the biggest fan of our coaching taff right now (see my post in the Dmitri Flowers thread) but i'm not going to b*tch about them when we are mixing up the run game this game like i've been saying we should do way more

Did i say it was a lucky play? No, the td was a bad play by the corner. Now here we are, 107th in the country in pass D, ksu knocking on the door, can't cover a play that they scored on the last series.

soonercastor
10/18/2014, 12:15 PM
Why are we keeping Wilson on Lockett?

SoonerForLife92
10/18/2014, 12:19 PM
Did i say it was a lucky play? No, the td was a bad play by the corner. Now here we are, 107th in the country in pass D, ksu knocking on the door, can't cover a play that they scored on the last series.

Nope but it was obviously a big part of that TD drive. And yeah our defense isn't doing great and they are out coaching us that's true, but their o-line is executing very well. It remains to be seen if we will make adjustments to counter

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 12:19 PM
Why are we keeping Wilson on Lockett?

Why are we sticking to a three man rush? I figured it out that it won't work against TCU. Striker is suppose to be one of the best pass rushes in the country, yet he does not rush the passer.

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 12:28 PM
Nope but it was obviously a big part of that TD drive. And yeah our defense isn't doing great and they are out coaching us that's true, but their o-line is executing very well. It remains to be seen if we will make adjustments to counter

I cannot remember where I saw it, but some talking head was saying knight is not a bad passer, but he was struggling and he was being asked to throw the toughest passes a qb has to throw. I thought back to that game and I didn't remember calling for any high percentages throws to build his confidence.

SoonerForLife92
10/18/2014, 12:38 PM
I cannot remember where I saw it, but some talking head was saying knight is not a bad passer, but he was struggling and he was being asked to throw the toughest passes a qb has to throw. I thought back to that game and I didn't remember calling for any high percentages throws to build his confidence.

What game are you talking about? Knight can throw some great throws but he almost always throws to his first read. He needs to be more consistent and he can be elite if he steps up just a bit.

Wait... now this drive he is playing GREAT

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 12:41 PM
What game are you talking about? Knight can throw some great throws but he almost always throws to his first read. He needs to be more consistent and he can be elite if he steps up just a bit.

Wait... now this drive he is playing GREAT

My bad, TCU. Last drive was the best of the day. You are absolutely right - needs to be more consistent. Do you think play calling has anything to do with it?

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 12:48 PM
Admit guys, OUr team just isn't a great team right now. Not bad, but not great.

Sooner91ATL
10/18/2014, 12:54 PM
It is amazing what a good win over bama does for a program. We played three sharp games off of that high. Reality sets in however...we are average good again. And really, not good at all against the pass and we can't gain 2 yards in two plays consistently against a D line we outweigh by 50 pounds a man.

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 12:57 PM
Yes, our O line should be able to move these guys out. Not really happening to this point even though we have ran the ball decently in the first half.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 12:59 PM
They just said KSU has 42 straight wins when leading at half. If saying that doesn't jinx them, nothing will.

SoonerForLife92
10/18/2014, 01:02 PM
My bad, TCU. Last drive was the best of the day. You are absolutely right - needs to be more consistent. Do you think play calling has anything to do with it?

Yeah it definitely has to do with it. I've felt all season we haven't ran enough in power formations and changing up the run game. But then when Knight is playing good and actually making reads the play calling works. Hopefully the silver lining in Shepard going out is he will go through his progressions more.

What makes me mad is games like texas where what we are calling is obviously not working well yet we keep running the same types of plays. I'll try to trust our coaches but I definitely agree they make you scratch your head in wonder lately. You should read my posts in the Flowers thread. I feel like we don't use our fullbacks enough as mismatches for linebackers

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 01:11 PM
I'm having a hard time watching this thing.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 02:17 PM
Never thought our kicking game would hurt us. Perine up the middle on 3rd was the worst call of the game, IMO. Just like the 4th and 1 against TCU - they allowed the D to sellout against that one play.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 02:23 PM
Admit guys, OUr team just isn't a great team right now. Not bad, but not great.

Say what you want about us not being great, but we've yet to play a team better than us.

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 02:25 PM
A wish on a falling star, John Harbaugh

SoonerForLife92
10/18/2014, 02:25 PM
Never thought our kicking game would hurt us. Perine up the middle on 3rd was the worst call of the game, IMO. Just like the 4th and 1 against TCU - they allowed the D to sellout against that one play.

Yup

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 02:28 PM
This all hot air because 8-4 won't get Stoops fired

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 02:31 PM
Say what you want about us not being great, but we've yet to play a team better than us.

I'd say we're about even with KSU and I don't think they are great. Yeah we should have won (fans always say that), but the teams were about even and it could have gone either way.

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 02:33 PM
I'd say we're about even with KSU and I don't think they are great. Yeah we should have won (fans always say that), but the teams were about even and it could have gone either way.

You can say it but it's not true. If you match talent on the rosters OU is better, just make too many mistakes and some players are either unable to be coached or the coaches stink

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 02:35 PM
Looks like it's the Cactus Bowl for us.

Snrinhouston
10/18/2014, 02:36 PM
Wrong. We've played two teams better than us. TCU and KSU. Creative play callilng, lack of turnovers, and good special teams play are indicators of a better team. They are better because their coaches run a tighter ship.

aurorasooner
10/18/2014, 02:37 PM
It's going to be interesting to see if this team falls apart the rest of the year.

This might be the cough-it-up loss that causes us to spiral downward out of control. All of the positive spew we got from the Sugar Bowl Win is now in the toilet. Short trip from the penthouse to the outhouse, seems to come to mind.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 02:38 PM
You can say it but it's not true. If you match talent on the rosters OU is better, just make too many mistakes and some players are either unable to be coached or the coaches stink

Talent doesn't matter - I'm talking about how good a team is. That includes game plan, execution, mistakes, play calling, etc. The teams looked even to me. And KSU is a very good team, we're not talking Kansas. They should be undefeated had they not made mistakes against Auburn. But they did. Just like we did and that has become consistent with OUr team this year.

limey_sooner
10/18/2014, 02:38 PM

Isn't part of being a good team not making those mistakes and taking advantage when your opponent does? We might have a more athetically talented team, doesn't make them us a better team though

Eielson
10/18/2014, 02:40 PM

I'm going to have to strongly disagree. We sliced through the defense all half, and if it weren't for Neal's dumb play and getting stopped on the one yard line, we would have come out of this game feeling like we did after the WVU game. We lined up and whipped them. We shot ourselves in the foot in the first half, and yet we still had to do it two more times just to lose by 1.

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 02:43 PM
Wrong. We've played two teams better than us. TCU and KSU. Creative play callilng, lack of turnovers, and good special teams play are indicators of a better team. They are better because their coaches run a tighter ship.

TCU and K-State have inferior talent than OU. Nick Saban isn't taking Houston to a National Championship. As much as I think the Stoops boys ceiling and their floor maybe one in the same, players need to play. Perine, Shepard, Bell all seem to leave it on the field, the entire D, with Julian "they be on scholarships too" Wilson leading the charge, are bunch of second rate *****es.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 02:43 PM
I'm going to have to strongly disagree. We sliced through the defense all half, and if it weren't for Neal's dumb play and getting stopped on the one yard line, we would have come out of this game feeling like we did after the WVU game. We lined up and whipped them. We shot ourselves in the foot in the first half, and yet we still had to do it two more times just to lose by 1.

I still say all those things are a measure of your team and in this case, reflected on the scoreboard.

soonercastor
10/18/2014, 02:45 PM

And some of those shots in the foot are on the coaches. The playcall on that interception was bad, the blocked XP could be chucked to "bad luck"....::until they mentioned that guy has been blocking XPs, which means coaches should have known about that, and the trick play execution was terrible by Neal but we were moving fine and really did not need that playcall but this last one doesn't bother me as much, most of the blame is on Neal on that one

aero
10/18/2014, 02:46 PM
This may be one of the worst teams under Stoops. And it's just not the players. It seems there are good players but can't really tell if they just seem good are they really are. I think the offense play calling is just horrendous and perhaps limits the players from making plays. Shepard and Perine. That's really all you have to defend against. Red zone offense is almost laughable if it wasn't so pathetic. The swing passes are as stale as last months bread. We and the rest of the country were faked out again. To think this team was up to #4 and some even saying #1 just goes to show the early polls are a guess at best. Stoops needs to seriously consider coaching changes this year as this one is lost to ineptitude. If he makes some changes early enough and get some better assistants in we might see how good the players and team can be next year.

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 02:46 PM
Isn't part of being a good team not making those mistakes and taking advantage when your opponent does? We might have a more athetically talented team, doesn't make them us a better team though

Ball security, bad tackling are mistakes that talented teams make. Trevor's & Duron's passes along with the kicking game aren't mistakes, they are brainfarts on the level of "do you even fundamentally understand how to play this game".

Eielson
10/18/2014, 02:49 PM
I still say all those things are a measure of your team and in this case, reflected on the scoreboard.

If Hunnicutt makes either FG, or even makes his XP, we win that game. In no way is that an accurate reflection of our kicking game.

The best team doesn't always win.

aero
10/18/2014, 02:51 PM
If Hunnicutt makes either FG, or even makes his XP, we win that game. In no way is that an accurate reflection of our kicking game.

If the team played better and was coached better the game wouldn't be decided by the kicker having an off day.

OUmillenium
10/18/2014, 02:52 PM
It's hard for me to watch and enjoy any other college football games on a day when OU loses. Particularly when a loss means no conference champ and definitely no national champ. ugh

Sorry, but I didn't like the 3rd and goal handoff to Perine with the whole state of Kansas lined up to stop it.

Maybe next year

Eielson
10/18/2014, 02:55 PM
If the team played better and was coached better the game wouldn't be decided by the kicker having an off day.

If Hunnicutt had an "off day" we would have won. This was much worse than just an off day.

aero
10/18/2014, 02:57 PM
If Hunnicutt had an "off day" we would have won. This was much worse than just an off day.

Honecutt missing the xp and 2 fg's was surprising to say the least. The playcalling wasn't.

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 03:01 PM
TCU and K-State have inferior talent than OU. Nick Saban isn't taking Houston to a National Championship. As much as I think the Stoops boys ceiling and their floor maybe one in the same, players need to play. Perine, Shepard, Bell all seem to leave it on the field, the entire D, with Julian "they be on scholarships too" Wilson leading the charge, are bunch of second rate *****es.

Who was the db on the last third down play? Lined up two-three yards off the first down line. I just don't get it. Out coached, AGAIN.

Indy Sooner
10/18/2014, 03:06 PM
You are what your record says you are.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2014, 03:11 PM
Good teams find a way to win.

When I can get to a keyboard, I ll put in better thoughts, but just a lot of stupidity today.. On the field and the sidelines.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 03:12 PM

I certainly agree with that. Even on the extra point with the blocking failure, the kick looked a bit low for Hunnicutt. And sure, we might be tad better than KSU and certainly should be at home. What I'm talking about is being a great team where we dominate unless we play another great team - a top 5 type of team. We are not that or we would have won both the TCU and KSU games. I don't believe either of those foes are great and it's certainly looking like the big12 doesn't have a great team. But I could be all wet and the big12 has 4-5 great teams that are beating each other up.

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 03:13 PM
Who was the db on the last third down play? Lined up two-three yards off the first down line. I just don't get it. Out coached, AGAIN.

Think it was Hayes or Parker. Based on Mike Stoops reaction he was supposed to be in press coverage but wasn't. For me the failings of the coaching staff is not in the play calling but the fact the team looks lost, as if they think they are better than they are or they may just be dumb. I hate to say that about an 19 year old kid but some players are smart and some aren't. Wilson with all his physical abilities doesn't seem to understand when you press and when you pad, Sanchez is quite the opposite he presses for picks too much.

For me good coaching takes place from Monday through Friday and the kids come out prepared, fired up but disciplined in the task at hand. Bob Stoops teams just don't seem to be that way, from the blowout to USC to the Boise State trick plays, OU under Stoops is not mentally tough.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2014, 03:18 PM
Several plays stand out but k state is 3rd and 6, mike and Tim can't agree, so timeout called. We come out of the timeout and the secondary is confused in coverage.. Luckily he drops it.

Last series, k state burns 2 timeouts on 3rd down play , we come out and there is confusement in coverages, they convert.. Game over

okiewaker
10/18/2014, 03:20 PM
The game went pretty much like I thought it might. I didn't foresee three missed kicks.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/18/2014, 03:21 PM
Today was a classic john Blake performance

SoonerForLife92
10/18/2014, 03:22 PM
Think it was Hayes or Parker. Based on Mike Stoops reaction he was supposed to be in press coverage but wasn't. For me the failings of the coaching staff is not in the play calling but the fact the team looks lost, as if they think they are better than they are or they may just be dumb. I hate to say that about an 19 year old kid but some players are smart and some aren't. Wilson with all his physical abilities doesn't seem to understand when you press and when you pad, Sanchez is quite the opposite he presses for picks too much.

For me good coaching takes place from Monday through Friday and the kids come out prepared, fired up but disciplined in the task at hand. Bob Stoops teams just don't seem to be that way, from the blowout to USC to the Boise State trick plays, OU under Stoops is not mentally tough.

I agree with everything you said except for Sanchez. I think he is an outstanding and didn't press too much unless he felt he needed to. You have to gamble sometimes as a defender. Too bad an elite corner doesn't make up for terrible safeties and your counterpart corner seeming lost a lot

Mookie91
10/18/2014, 03:27 PM
I agree with everything you said except for Sanchez. I think he is an outstanding and didn't press too much unless he felt he needed to. You have to gamble sometimes as a defender. Too bad an elite corner doesn't make up for terrible safeties and your counterpart corner seeming lost a lot

And Wilson is physically gifted but his comments in the post-TCU press conference that "they get scholarships to" leads me to the stereotype that he never owns up to his shortcomings. His celebrations on the field today remind me of my least favorite Cleveland Browns receiver Greg Little. He just doesn't get it. He plays off and gives up 120 yards receiving but as soon as the WR drops a one handed ball he's dancing like Deion.

SoonerForLife92
10/18/2014, 03:32 PM
And Wilson is physically gifted but his comments in the post-TCU press conference that "they get scholarships to" leads me to the stereotype that he never owns up to his shortcomings. His celebrations on the field today remind me of my least favorite Cleveland Browns receiver Greg Little. He just doesn't get it. He plays off and gives up 120 yards receiving but as soon as the WR drops a one handed ball he's dancing like Deion.

Exactly. Ex**kingactly I played against Julian in highschool and while I never lined up across him directly or anything, I always thought his track speed is what got him a chance at OU. I was surprised that he even got to start.

aero
10/18/2014, 03:37 PM
Try to imagine Nick Saban on our sideline today. Total blown gasket. I can't see him putting up with the mistakes, bad play, and bad coaching. That's why he has the trophies he does.

BlownGP
10/18/2014, 03:41 PM
Just sad. Nothing else to say. My Saints suck, ou sucks. This football season is over for me. :frown:

GDC
10/18/2014, 03:50 PM

Not that this is big news but Snyder and Patterson at TCU continue to astound me with their level of consistency in relation to available resources. Recruiting consistently to a system is a proven model for success. There are times I'm just not sure what Stoops and co. are trying to do.

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 03:50 PM
Just sad. Nothing else to say. My Saints suck, ou sucks. This football season is over for me. :frown:

My cardinals (stl) lost now my boys got 2 losses. Damn good thing I like my wife and dogs so much. I'm going out and getting hammered tonight.

aurorasooner
10/18/2014, 03:53 PM
Today was a classic john Blake performance Agree. Just a Cluster*&^% embarrassment.
I would like to see HCBS pull a Mike Leach with some coaching staff shake ups, but I don't think there's any way that's going to happen because of the Boren/Herple sister in law deal, which imo should be the 1st.
Heupel is going to be around a long time either as a middle of the road, surprise us every once in a while with a brilliant game-plan OC or a lifer QB coach because he's not doing himself any favors to a quality head coaching gig with all these captain obvious, late play-call, brain farts. As of now, he'd be lucky to be offered the Arkie State, Idaho, or Podunk U jobs.

Sooner8th
10/18/2014, 04:16 PM
Agree. Just a Cluster*&^% embarrassment.
I would like to see HCBS pull a Mike Leach with some coaching staff shake ups, but I don't think there's any way that's going to happen because of the Boren/Herple sister in law deal, which imo should be the 1st.
Heupel is going to be around a long time either as a middle of the road, surprise us every once in a while with a brilliant game-plan OC or a lifer QB coach because he's not doing himself any favors to a quality head coaching gig with all these captain obvious, late play-call, brain farts. As of now, he'd be lucky to be offered the Arkie State, Idaho, or Podunk U jobs.

captain obvious - hilarious!

No wonder boren didn't let bob bring back the fat man..............