PDA

View Full Version : What has to happen now to get us into the playoff?

BigTip
10/12/2014, 07:36 AM
Yes, I am kidding.

But hell, ya never know really, I guess. Stranger things have happened.

Oh wait, no they haven't.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2014, 09:20 AM
The playoff committee all drink an OU love potion.

JLEW1818
10/12/2014, 09:30 AM
A one loss team always gets in a 2 team championship. If OU only had 1 loss why wouldn't they get in a 4 teamer?

Yes if we win out.

olevetonahill
10/12/2014, 09:54 AM
A one loss team always gets in a 2 team championship. If OU only had 1 loss why wouldn't they get in a 4 teamer?

Yes if we win out.

Agreed Bro. but its a Long way to winning out. Im still hoping tho.

SoonerorLater
10/12/2014, 09:57 AM
Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!"

soonercastor
10/12/2014, 10:21 AM
win out and we're likely in but there are a coupe of scenarios that might leave us out.
ND needs to lose to FSU next week to begin with

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2014, 10:31 AM
The OP was kidding.

Eielson
10/12/2014, 10:35 AM
We bring back Mangino.

jkjsooner
10/12/2014, 12:09 PM
It would help if we win the Big 12. For that, we will need:

Baylor to win out except for OU forcing a three way tie.
Or:
TCU to lose one more which would give us a shot at an outright win.

I'm not sure what the three way tiebreaker is now. We should be higher ranked if it comes to that. I think the Big 12 awards titles to all even when head to head tiebreaker applies. (That part I hate.)

soonercastor
10/12/2014, 12:12 PM
It would help if we win the Big 12. For that, we will need:

Baylor to win out except for OU forcing a three way tie.
Or:
TCU to lose one more which would give us a shot at an outright win.

I'm not sure what the three way tiebreaker is now. We should be higher ranked if it comes to that. I think the Big 12 awards titles to all even when head to head tiebreaker applies. (That part I hate.)

Higher ranked? There's no more BCS so they must have adjusted the tie-breaker this offseason. I'll go check now.

soonercastor
10/12/2014, 12:17 PM
May 28, 2014

IRVING, Texas -- The Big 12 Conference is subbing out part of its football tiebreaker process.

Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Wednesday that the new College Football Playoff poll will replace the old BCS standings as a potential tiebreaker if three or more teams have the same conference record.

The first potential tiebreakers remain the records of the tied teams compared against each other, and then against the next highest-placed teams in the conference.

If those don't settle things, the highest-ranked team in the first College Football Playoff poll after Big 12 regular season play would represent the league as champion. The only exception is if the two highest-ranked tied teams are within one spot of each other in the playoff poll, then the head-to-head result of those teams would break the tie.

jkjsooner
10/12/2014, 12:58 PM
That reminds me. If we beat Baylor it better be by a small margin. Otherwise TCU will point out that they beat us and it's not really a three way tie since Baylor obviously doesn't belong.

This is known as Texas logic.

TAFBSooner
10/12/2014, 03:25 PM
I dunno, but we lost ground in the coaches' poll. Now no. 11 in both.

soonercastor
10/12/2014, 03:46 PM
Coaches poll is irrelevant

BoomerJack
10/13/2014, 05:24 AM
For the Sooners to get into the playoffs??? I think a few planes will have to crash. Nothing real serious of course. Just a bunch of broken arms and legs.

SicEmBaylor
10/13/2014, 05:31 AM
The playoff committee all drink an OU love potion.

Love Potion #9

(I hope everyone appreciates the clever double entendre there -- it's spek worthy)

Phil
10/13/2014, 08:49 AM
You guys, as always, like to be fatalistic, but this is a real possibility. As usual, the people with the lowest opinion of our team are our own fans.

Yes, we will have to play better - if we play like we have the last two weeks, it won't happen.

That said, this team is always a different team at home. We are halfway through the season and have only played two home games. We get KSU, Baylor, Kansas, and OSU in Norman. Remaining road games are at Iowa State and at Tech. Lubbock will be interesting, although it looks like Kliffy has them in free fall. Bottom line - unless you see us losing one of those two road games, we've got a hell of a shot to win out. If that happens, we ought to be in the playoff.

jkjsooner
10/13/2014, 08:56 AM
You guys, as always, like to be fatalistic, but this is a real possibility. As usual, the people with the lowest opinion of our team are our own fans.

Yes, we will have to play better - if we play like we have the last two weeks, it won't happen.

That said, this team is always a different team at home. We are halfway through the season and have only played two home games. We get KSU, Baylor, Kansas, and OSU in Norman. Remaining road games are at Iowa State and at Tech. Lubbock will be interesting, although it looks like Kliffy has them in free fall. Bottom line - unless you see us losing one of those two road games, we've got a hell of a shot to win out. If that happens, we ought to be in the playoff.

I agree with this. As of right now I don't think we deserve it even if we win out unless things start to click offensively - which I still believe is a possibility.

Aries
10/13/2014, 09:00 AM
We don't deserve it the way we've played the last two weeks, but if we win out we will have beat some pretty good teams. And we will have to have been playing considerably better. Phil is right, it's definitely not over but we CAN'T lose another game.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2014, 09:21 AM

We actually don't know how different this team is at home as we've only played inferior competition at home so far. This *program* under Stoops has a history of being far better at home and almost all teams have better records at home, so there is certainly reason for optimism. But even against the Vols, some of the issues we've seen the last 2 weeks were starting to show themselves. We'll find out soon enough with KSU coming to town.

BigTip
10/13/2014, 11:48 AM

I am as big an optimistic fan as anybody. We have to be optimistic that a lot of teams will have to lose for us to get in. I think that is asking a lot, but yes, it could happen. The thing that makes me so fatalistic, and the reason for starting this sarcastic thread, is that we have to also win out. I am a student of history, and the history of this season so far, says that it is an optimistic goal right now for both of these things to happen.

Every season my excitement builds with the thought of, "this year we can win it all." But this "win" of ours soured me on that possibility just as much as a "knock out" loss would have.

I hope I am wrong of course.

birddog
10/13/2014, 12:03 PM
An L hurts much more in the eyes of the committee than a "bad" win over texass. Gardere started a Long streak of awful mondays for me in middle school. Back then a loss to texass was a season-ender. Ill gladly start This week knowing we are alive for another week.

T_tutt
10/13/2014, 12:31 PM
you don't think there's a chance?

BlownGP
10/13/2014, 12:48 PM
We do this every year after a loss. Who has to lose so we can get in...

Then we lose again and its on to next year. hahahaa
I think we can win out considering all our tough games are at home. Then again if our offense keeps playing like it does, we won't win many more games.

Eielson
10/13/2014, 03:12 PM
The Texas win isn't going to work against us. Texas is going to play just about everybody close from here on out. Honestly, I think their games against UCLA and Baylor were closer than ours. I just don't know if Swoopes and the offense are good enough to pull out too many of them.

soonerboomer
10/14/2014, 11:32 AM
Oklahoma needs to win out (11-1) and both Baylor & TCU end up 11-1 (3-way tie); Baylor & TCU each have two or more losses; or Baylor lose only to Oklahoma & TCU lose one or more game. Any of these should place Oklahoma higher in the polls than the other two because Oklahoma has a tougher schedule and their loss came earlier in the season. In addition, enough SEC teams have to have at least two losses (probably all with at least one loss); and all PAC 12 teams, Big 10 teams, Notre Dame, and Florida State have at least one or two losses. This should place Oklahoma in the top four.

I'm hoping Notre Dame upsets Florida State in Tallahassee on Saturday which should drop the Seminoles out of the top five. Notre Dame likely will lose their game at S. Cal on Nov. 29th. Hopefully, Ohio State will win at Michigan State on Nov. 8th.

soonercastor
10/14/2014, 08:59 PM
I'm hoping Notre Dame upsets Florida State in Tallahassee on Saturday .

Actually no, we don't want this to happen.

BigTip
10/18/2014, 03:23 PM
Okay, I was hoping against hope, but watching the texass game I figured our chances were small. That's why I started this sarcastic thread.

I am disappointed about the old man's team beating us of course, but seriously, I was more crushed last week with our "win" because it's then I realized another loss would eventually come.

Next year folks! Maybe Trevor won't be so knight and day next year.

aero
10/18/2014, 03:32 PM
We could make the playoff if we win out, the play calling imroves to at least high school 3A level, we suddenly realize we have other receivers and rb's and actually used them, there is a major change in qb play, the defense..... never mind. We're out.

Flagstaffsooner
10/18/2014, 03:40 PM
An act of God.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 03:47 PM
Bob Stoops sleeps with Condi Rice? Oh wait, she "plays for the other team".

SoonerorLater
10/18/2014, 03:49 PM
Bribes maybe?

SoonerMarkVA
10/18/2014, 03:50 PM
Okay, I was hoping against hope, but watching the texass game I figured our chances were small. That's why I started this sarcastic thread.

I am disappointed about the old man's team beating us of course, but seriously, I was more crushed last week with our "win" because it's then I realized another loss would eventually come.

Next year folks! Maybe Trevor won't be so knight and day next year.

Whatever Trevor does next year, isn't going to do crap about our hapless, clueless efforts on D. This is starting to look a lot like 2012. I hope someone doesn't punch in 700+ yards on us again.

SoonerMarkVA
10/18/2014, 03:51 PM

Bob Stoops threatens to sleep with Condi Rice?

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 03:52 PM

Careful, extortion is a crime. :concern:

okiewaker
10/18/2014, 04:12 PM
Win the rest of the games and get a bowl game somewhere West and South. I want to wear my flip flops, shorts and wife beater to the bowl game.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 04:22 PM

Racist.

Eielson
10/18/2014, 05:06 PM
I hate myself for posting this, but...

As much as I almost wish we were eliminated from the playoffs (to avoid feeling letdown after another loss), we technically need to lose one more to seal our fate. I'm not saying we're going to go undefeated, but it's not impossible. We only need two things to happen for us to be the Big XII's most likely representative:

TCU has to lose one (the tough one)
K-State has to lose two (the likely one)

If we finish on a 5 game winning streak, you already know which two loss team is going to the playoffs.

nighttrain12
10/18/2014, 06:27 PM
Lock this thread, its over.

BoulderSooner79
10/18/2014, 06:29 PM

Racist.

No the other other team.

:O

Eielson
10/18/2014, 06:37 PM
Lock this thread, its over.

No way, bro. This thread just got good. We're talking about interracial sex and extortion!