10/11/2014, 02:40 PM
Not really. Texas beat themselves

^^^^this.

Eielson
10/11/2014, 02:43 PM
Yes. We did.

ouduckhunter
10/11/2014, 02:45 PM
In an alternate universe, yes! Yes, we did!

soonercastor
10/11/2014, 02:46 PM
Always feels good to beat them, but damn if we didn't get Baylor, K state and ok state at home I'd be very concerned with the rest of the schedule.

Eielson
10/11/2014, 02:49 PM
In an alternate universe, yes! Yes, we did!

I must be stuck in an alternate universe, because the scoreboard said we won. Last week is the week we lost.

I'm surprised you guys didn't expect this game to be ugly.

Okie35
The 2nd half yea ...

Blue
One game/quarter at a time! Buck up girls!

aurorasooner
We won, but if this win was one of CJ's 5 hookers, it would be CJK4H.

SoCalBigRed
10/11/2014, 02:50 PM
I think the Sooners have the play to the perceived level of their opponent and the supposed threat mentality.

A very immature team, which is shocking, considering the experience.

Okie35
10/11/2014, 02:54 PM
I think the Sooners have the play to the perceived level of their opponent and the supposed threat mentality.

A very immature team, which is shocking, considering the experience.

Hardly any at receiver though.

Therealsouthsider
10/11/2014, 03:00 PM
....the win should come with an asterisk

ss

ouduckhunter
10/11/2014, 03:02 PM
I must be stuck in an alternate universe, because the scoreboard said we won. Last week is the week we lost.

I'm surprised you guys didn't expect this game to be ugly.

Maybe a drink will help with the tude!!

70sooner
10/11/2014, 03:05 PM
dunno, even with arguably the hardest games left being played in Norman, I'm still concerned.

beached_sooner
10/11/2014, 03:09 PM
It's time to move on to another QB. It doesn't appear the O-line can dominate to consistently support the running attack. OU needs a legitimate QB that can get the ball down field. Cody you're up my man.

Therealsouthsider
10/11/2014, 03:16 PM
....remember in the movie "The Sixth Sense" when Bruce Willis didn't know that he was dead and everyone in the audience was figuring it out? well let me introduce you to Oklahoma Football 2014

ss

Blue
10/11/2014, 03:16 PM
It's time to move on to another QB. It doesn't appear the O-line can dominate to consistently support the running attack. OU needs a legitimate QB that can get the ball down field. Cody you're up my man.

Not gonna happen.

70sooner
10/11/2014, 03:18 PM
I guess the one consolation is in knowing that ut fan had the rug pulled out from under them in the end.

Therealsouthsider
10/11/2014, 03:20 PM
I guess the one consolation is in knowing that ut fan had the rug pulled out from under them in the end.

....Charlie Strong to Charlie Brown....I like it

ss

stoopified
10/11/2014, 03:21 PM
It sure as hell doesn't feel like it.True dat,IMHO it is the ugliest win in my 45 years as a fan.We didn't so much win the game as UT lost it. Don't get me wrong , I'll take the W but we are going to lose more games IF we don't get OUr offensive and defensive issues ironed out.

OUinFLA
10/11/2014, 03:33 PM
well, I do remember how I felt last year.........
this year feels much better.
ugly comes to mind

Snrinhouston
10/11/2014, 03:34 PM
It was the most embarrassing half of football I've EVER seen from OU.

1 first down, 30 yards, no 3rd down conversions. How can Stoops credibly leave Heupel in that job?

EatLeadCommie
10/11/2014, 03:35 PM
We have serious issues.

First, we are very weak at WR. Other than Shep, there is basically nobody. Neal and Young have been absent the last two games. Today they caught what? A couple laterals? Pathetic. Bell is our second best WR option right now, which isn't a slight on Bell, as he has shown great hands the last two weeks. I can't ever remember having this few WRs able to step up in a game. Part of the problem, however, also rests with QB.

Trevor does not see the field well. As a shorter QB, he needs to compensate by having better field vision. This would be helped if Josh could call a game suited to his strengths. He needs to use his feet to loosen up defenses and help get his WRs some separation. That is not happening.

The predictability at offense has just been woeful. We're done playing the horrible defensive lines of WVU until we hit KU or Taco Tech. We need to gameplan creatively. Instead, we run Perine thinking that he's going to go for 240 yards every game. News flash: He will never run for that many yards again in his career. He's a solid grinder, but we desperately need Keith Ford back. Like, badly. Ross is a finesse runner. Ford gives us speed, power, and an actual threat to catch the ball. We also need to run some bootlegs and-- god forbid-- maybe some actual zone read where TK keeps the ball. Not only does that make the D respect his feet, but it fires up the offense and TK. It isn't going to work every time, but at least we won't be tipping our hand every time we go out there. We cannot use him like he's Sam Bradford. We did that with Blake Bell and it destroyed his confidence.

PhiDeltBeers
10/11/2014, 03:35 PM
Ugly with tits comes to mind.

aurorasooner
10/11/2014, 03:49 PM
We have serious issues.

The predictability at offense has just been woeful. We're done playing the horrible defensive lines of WVU until we hit KU or Taco Tech. We need to gameplan creatively. Instead, we run Perine thinking that he's going to go for 240 yards every game. News flash: He will never run for that many yards again in his career. He's a solid grinder, but we desperately need Keith Ford back. Like, badly. Ross is a finesse runner. Ford gives us speed, power, and an actual threat to catch the ball. We also need to run some bootlegs and-- god forbid-- maybe some actual zone read where TK keeps the ball. Not only does that make the D respect his feet, but it fires up the offense and TK. It isn't going to work every time, but at least we won't be tipping our hand every time we go out there. We cannot use him like he's Sam Bradford. We did that with Blake Bell and it destroyed his confidence.Yep, If HCBS doesn't do something this week by 1st admitting there's a problem with our offensive creativity and it's not just execution. and 2nd replacing Heupel with someone else who can create a decent creative offensive game-plan or if he's the one who's actually being conservative and somehow holding Heupel back, then stopping it, then the Sooner fans next week, regardless of a close win or loss, will boo them out of the stadium. Fans have seen enough of this crap no-imagination offense.

proudsoonergal
10/11/2014, 03:50 PM
well, I do remember how I felt last year.........
this year feels much better.
ugly comes to mind

This.

Wishboned
10/11/2014, 03:51 PM
Ugly with tits comes to mind.

I'm wondering if the players did the walk of shame to the bus because this game was 2am, drunk off your ***, last girl in the bar, ugly.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/11/2014, 03:52 PM
I will just say no, I didn't expect this game to be ugly.

Every year we lose at least one sloppy game to an opponent we could have easily beaten with less sloppy play. Last year this was Texas. This year I thought TCU had gotten it out of our system, so I expected a good old OU beatdown of TX.

I'll take the win but sheesh, if the first three games were the anomalies and the last two are what's normal, we're in for a long and extremely ugly rest of the season.

That said, BOOMER!

Edited to add: not saying this year's TCU team is anywhere near the mediocrity that was last year's Texas team. Solely about my expectations for us.

PhiDeltBeers
10/11/2014, 03:54 PM
Yep, If HCBS doesn't do something this week by 1st admitting there's a problem with our offensive creativity and it's not just execution. and 2nd replacing Heupel with someone else who can create a decent creative offensive game-plan or if he's the one who's actually being conservative and somehow holding Heupel back, then stopping it, then the Sooner fans next week, regardless of a close win or loss, will boo them out of the stadium. Fans have seen enough of this crap no-imagination offense.

Come on now, we all know that Heupel will have to get injured before we put in a backup. ;)

Eielson
10/11/2014, 03:57 PM
It appears nobody had any knowledge of Texas' games against Baylor and UCLA, or our game against TCU. This outcome is not surprising. The surprising thing to me is that we went up 31-13 early in the 4th before going into "let's just get out of here with a W" mode.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/11/2014, 04:04 PM
On paper we won, but just go check out shaggy to see that they (with justification I might add) are way more gleeful about their loss than we are about the win.

aurorasooner
10/11/2014, 04:07 PM
Come on now, we all know that Heupel will have to get injured before we put in a backup. ;)Maybe this week Heupel will choke on a doughnut and be sidelined next week, or something.

It does sort of make me wonder who's the head coach of this team, Stoops or Boren. You just can't put a positive spin on the butt-ugly offensive game plans anymore, even with a win against the whorns. (geez, it does make me feel dirty to post that, but we almost turned a ""gift win into another humiliating defeat). That game should've been another 65-13 type blowout.

Blue
10/11/2014, 04:13 PM
It appears nobody had any knowledge of Texas' games against Baylor and UCLA, or our game against TCU. This outcome is not surprising. The surprising thing to me is that we went up 31-13 early in the 4th before going into "let's just get out of here with a W" mode.

Next time throw out your prediction in the prediction thread smart a-ss since you see and know all.

Piware
10/11/2014, 04:15 PM
I am disappointed and think we were overrated coming into the season. Also think the kids may have been coming off the Sugar Bowl win and reading too many press clippings. I am as guilty as they are.

PhiDeltBeers
10/11/2014, 04:19 PM
Next time throw out your prediction in the prediction thread smart a-ss since you see and know all.

Slam! Duh duh duh

Eielson
10/11/2014, 04:25 PM

Sooners 20 Longhorns 14

I dont see how we can blow em out unless we jump on em early. I dont see that happening unless we improve defensively on 3rd downs

Having typed that, i think we will cause enough problems for them with our depth to win 30-20.

OU 20
Texas 9

Texas probably has the best secondary in the conference (and one of the best in the country), but they've been abysmal at stopping the run. I guarantee they'll make that a priority this week, and beg OU to beat them with the pass. I think it will turn into a slugfest, with the Texas defense keeping them in the game.

Sooners 24
Whorns 10

31-20 OU

OU 28
UT 20

Last year we beat TCU at home (barely) but Patterson showed everyone the blueprint on how to beat us. And who did we play after TCU? Texsa! Hopefully our defensive strategy isn't putting Baker on the sideline trying to steal plays. What a fail!

31-21 OU unless our offense repeats last weeks performance, then we're screwed.

OU 23
ut 10

fexas 17
ou 18

OU 24
TX 17

OU 24
horns 16

BlownGP
10/11/2014, 04:33 PM
We have serious issues.

First, we are very weak at WR. Other than Shep, there is basically nobody. Neal and Young have been absent the last two games. Today they caught what? A couple laterals? Pathetic. Bell is our second best WR option right now, which isn't a slight on Bell, as he has shown great hands the last two weeks. I can't ever remember having this few WRs able to step up in a game. Part of the problem, however, also rests with QB.

Trevor does not see the field well. As a shorter QB, he needs to compensate by having better field vision. This would be helped if Josh could call a game suited to his strengths. He needs to use his feet to loosen up defenses and help get his WRs some separation. That is not happening.

The predictability at offense has just been woeful. We're done playing the horrible defensive lines of WVU until we hit KU or Taco Tech. We need to gameplan creatively. Instead, we run Perine thinking that he's going to go for 240 yards every game. News flash: He will never run for that many yards again in his career. He's a solid grinder, but we desperately need Keith Ford back. Like, badly. Ross is a finesse runner. Ford gives us speed, power, and an actual threat to catch the ball. We also need to run some bootlegs and-- god forbid-- maybe some actual zone read where TK keeps the ball. Not only does that make the D respect his feet, but it fires up the offense and TK. It isn't going to work every time, but at least we won't be tipping our hand every time we go out there. We cannot use him like he's Sam Bradford. We did that with Blake Bell and it destroyed his confidence.

As much as TK has some bad passes, the time he throws a great ball. The receivers drop the ball. Somethings gotta give and both need to get more consistent.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/11/2014, 04:35 PM
On paper we won, but just go check out shaggy to see that they (with justification I might add) are way more gleeful about their loss than we are about the win.

Over there are a lot of comments about how proud they are of their team today despite the loss and how the future looks great.

I haven't seen one comment here today about anyone being proud of our team for the win, or looking forward to a fantastic future.

Comments on message boards mean nothing, but just goes ta show ya.

We have a mojo problem. Strong is building up Texas's in the fans' eyes at least, and apparently even the return of Mike Stoops isn't growing ours.

Blue
10/11/2014, 04:36 PM
No idea what all those quotes prove. I didn't see your prediction in there, "after-the-fact" man.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/11/2014, 04:38 PM
Thanks Blue, I was confused as well.

Eielson
10/11/2014, 04:53 PM
No idea what all those quotes prove. I didn't see your prediction in there, "after-the-fact" man.

I think it's rather straight forward, but since I'm in a good mood (seeing as we won), I'll explain it a little further for you.

If you'll look closely at the quotes I posted, you should see that the number by OU is usually only a little higher than the number by Texas' name. This shows that many people thought this game would be close, which means I'm not the only one who thought this could be an ugly win. It was a rather common pick. It doesn't mean that I know everything, but I'm glad you think so highly of me.

Blue
10/11/2014, 04:57 PM

This is your smug, condescending, dooshy post, Bro. If you'll notice, it says NOBODY. Nobody but you, Mr. Know-it-all. Good try though.

Eielson
10/11/2014, 04:59 PM
This is your smug, condescending, dooshy post, Bro. If you'll notice, it says NOBODY. Nobody but you, Mr. Know-it-all. Good try though.

Nobody in the thread. Not nobody in the world.

Sooner70
10/11/2014, 05:37 PM
Well, I live in Texas, and there's nothing worse than being an Okie in Texas when Texas wins. So, I say anytime you can come away from the Cotton Bowl in early Oct with a W, be thankful. One may not be happy or even satisfied with the level of play, but please be thankful.

SoonerBorn
10/11/2014, 06:00 PM
Perhaps in the future we should #BringTheWood

cherokeebrewer
10/11/2014, 06:02 PM
Well, I live in Texas, and there's nothing worse than being an Okie in Texas when Texas wins. So, I say anytime you can come away from the Cotton Bowl in early Oct with a W, be thankful. One may not be happy or even satisfied with the level of play, but please be thankful.

As fans we tend to forget this sometime...a win and no injuries that I noticed. Life is good today!

BetterSoonerThanLater
10/11/2014, 06:16 PM

Completely agree. We live in Austin, and nothing makes me happier than Texas fans all butthurt and making excuses. Our play might have sucked, but for me personally, it is pretty sweet to seem them squirm. Yeah. They beat themselves in a lot of ways, but a win is a win. And **** Texas

BoulderSooner79
10/11/2014, 07:59 PM
As fans we tend to forget this sometime...a win and no injuries that I noticed. Life is good today!

^This. Any win against the horns is good. There is the series record, Stoops record against the horns that go in the books with no questions asked. We also get Strong off to the proper side of the ledger.

I think I speak for many that the letdown is looking forward to the rest of the season and seeing how much we need to improve in order to achieve what seemed so possible a month ago.

Okie35
10/11/2014, 09:05 PM

Exactly and to put it in perspective we actually lost the game last year outright. A win is a win.

8timechamps
10/11/2014, 09:07 PM
WE WON!

I don't care if it's by 1 point or 50 points, a win over Texas is always a GREAT win.

No doubt it was a strange game, and we had our issues, but in the end we came out on top, we planted the flag at mid-field and the Golden Hat is coming back to Norman. That's all that matters today.

Phil
10/11/2014, 10:30 PM
True dat,IMHO it is the ugliest win in my 45 years as a fan.We didn't so much win the game as UT lost it. Don't get me wrong , I'll take the W but we are going to lose more games IF we don't get OUr offensive and defensive issues ironed out.

Dude, you need some perspective. There have been uglier wins than this.

Jason White's Third Knee
10/11/2014, 10:45 PM
Ok, the first half stats were awful. When you score on a pick six and a kick return you lose offensive possessions and you don't get the offense in rhythm. That's going to slim down O stats.

Friggin' yuck.

Now let's all get real. OU has one loss. TCU was a close game and we just didn't have it break our way. Texas is 2-4. The longhorn fans can be giddy if they want. That's what you have to do when you suck. I'll take our ugly win and our enviable record.

JLEW1818
10/11/2014, 11:37 PM
Ok, the first half stats were awful. When you score on a pick six and a kick return you lose offensive possessions and you don't get the offense in rhythm. That's going to slim down O stats.

Friggin' yuck.

Now let's all get real. OU has one loss. TCU was a close game and we just didn't have it break our way. Texas is 2-4. The longhorn fans can be giddy if they want. That's what you have to do when you suck. I'll take our ugly win and our enviable record.

Well said

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/12/2014, 01:01 AM
I'll take the win against Texas any day, and the one-loss record at this point. No question.

But i've sat through two games now watching a team that 1) has the talent to do so but failed to garner a win they should have gotten. Not break our way? Seriously? I am not taking anything away from the TCU squad but we had ample opportunities to win that game but we didn't. Our offense looked just as pathetic as it did today. It wasn't about things not breaking our way.

and 2) pull off a win they were lucky to get. As I saw it, Texas was fired up and we weren't. Just like last week vs. TCU, just like last year against Texas.

Ongoing lackluster performance like this might yield more lackluster (as opposed to dominant) wins like today's, but this team is not so far impressing me as championship material.

That said, I'm still Sooner born and Sooner bred and hoping this team finds the glue that will bind them into the team they deserve to be.

sendbaht
10/12/2014, 03:51 AM
Weren't we up by 10 points near 1/2 time with 27 total yards? unreal....but we won...3 years from now people will just see the score..."oh, OU won" is all they will know.

Sammalone
10/12/2014, 05:43 AM
You guys won and deservedly so. We made a lot of mistakes but that's football. I do like the direction Strong is taking the team. But it'll be another year or two to get it where it needs to be.

BigTip
10/12/2014, 07:31 AM
Dude, you need some perspective. There have been uglier wins than this.

Granted my brain is scorched from having watched the game yesterday, but I agreed with the statement that this was the ugliest win ever.
Remind me of a worse one. One where you felt like we were behind the whole game. One where you just knew we were going to lose. One where we had 29 yards offense in either half. One where you just stared in disbelief at the ineptitude you were watching.

kenth68
10/12/2014, 09:23 AM
Over there are a lot of comments about how proud they are of their team today despite the loss and how the future looks great.

That's the sad thing in all of this. Texas fans should have been crushed, for a couple of seasons at least after this game. We should have been dining on the tears and sadness of Texas fans last night. Instead, they're proud. Proud.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2014, 09:39 AM
Let's look at the bright side. If this felt like a loss to so many people except on the scoreboard, maybe Stoops feels the same way. What's Bob's record in games after a regular season loss?

cherokeebrewer
10/12/2014, 09:39 AM
Let the Texas fans be proud, let them rejoice in their 'moral' victory. We have the real victory on the books forever.

BoulderSooner79
10/12/2014, 09:41 AM
That's the sad thing in all of this. Texas fans should have been crushed, for a couple of seasons at least after this game. We should have been dining on the tears and sadness of Texas fans last night. Instead, they're proud. Proud.

They should be proud. This is the worst start of a horn team sine the '56 team went 1-5. HAHAHAHA

oupride
10/12/2014, 11:51 AM

10-4! Blue skies and rainbows for me one more year!

Jason White's Third Knee
10/12/2014, 11:53 AM
But i've sat through two games now watching a team that 1) has the talent to do so but failed to garner a win they should have gotten. Not break our way? Seriously? I am not taking anything away from the TCU squad but we had ample opportunities to win that game but we didn't. Our offense looked just as pathetic as it did today. It wasn't about things not breaking our way.

and 2) pull off a win they were lucky to get. As I saw it, Texas was fired up and we weren't. Just like last week vs. TCU, just like last year against Texas.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. When I say the TCU game didn't break our way, I mean exactly that. We lost by 5. Their QB fumbled twice and the ball went right back to them. We have issues, but we could easily be undefeated. TCU could be undefeated if it weren't for a questionable interference call. **** happens and a lot of luck is involved.

TAFBSooner
10/12/2014, 03:13 PM
Texas Still Sucks.

That is all.

Pride1Mom
10/13/2014, 09:00 AM
I'll take an ugly win over a moral victory any day!!!

SoonerPride
10/13/2014, 09:20 PM
How mad would you be if we were the team that doubled texas is yards and time of possession and still lost?

You wanna fire coaches after a win over our rival?

You are either stoned or stupid.

Or both.

OU BEAT TEXAS AND THAT IS AWESOME.

I don't care how they do it or what the stats are.

WE WON THE GAME AND YOU SHOULD BE THRILLED.

BoulderSooner79
10/13/2014, 11:00 PM
I actually enjoyed the little rant by Saban today over the same issue. I would have been fine with Stoops giving us fans some crap over bemoaning how a victory was achieved. Show a little fire, Bob - any win over the horns is reason to celebrate.

My disappointment isn't so much this game, but just looking at our body of work at the halfway point and what it probably means going forward. I know, I know - only 1 loss, other teams will lose, if we win out, blah, blah blah. We're just not as good as I hoped going into the season.

BlownGP
10/13/2014, 11:36 PM
I actually enjoyed the little rant by Saban today over the same issue. I would have been fine with Stoops giving us fans some crap over bemoaning how a victory was achieved. Show a little fire, Bob - any win over the horns is reason to celebrate.

My disappointment isn't so much this game, but just looking at our body of work at the halfway point and what it probably means going forward. I know, I know - only 1 loss, other teams will lose, if we win out, blah, blah blah. We're just not as good as I hoped going into the season.

I think we all knew we had no idea what the offense was going to do.

And we got fooled again up until the TCU loss. Our defense is fine, probably more than fine. The defense starts to look bad when it's on the field the whole game.

I really hope we get it figured out because the blue print is there on how to stop us. We need to make them afraid of TK.

SoonerPride
10/14/2014, 07:51 AM

I think we all knew we had no idea what the offense was going to do.

And we got fooled again up until the TCU loss. Our defense is fine, probably more than fine. The defense starts to look bad when it's on the field the whole game.

I really hope we get it figured out because the blue print is there on how to stop us. We need to make them afraid of TK.

The defense is fine?

What game were you watching ?

You can't blame the offense that texas took the opening drive and rammed it down their throats for 6 minutes then Ross returned the KO and was back on the field.

The O didn't touch the ball until the 6 minute mark. The defense was on the field all day because it is terrible.

The Texas offense is terrible and destroyed our supposedly fine defense.

It was PATHETIC.

IIRC the offense gave the defense an 18 point lead with 12 minutes to go in the game and our "fine" defense promptly let texas go score again and again and it was the offense burning clock that sealed the victory.

Our defense is far from "fine."

cherokeebrewer
10/14/2014, 08:26 AM

I agree with this. Mike Stoops seems to get a pass while Josh Heupel catches all the blame...something not right about that.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2014, 08:28 AM
What I don't get is people blaming the offense all of the time for the defense being on the field too much...Texas starts out with a 6 minute drive, Alex Ross TD, another 6 minute drive..

Getting off the field on 3rd down will do wonders for ToP.

Pride1Mom
10/14/2014, 08:51 AM
At one time in the game OU was up 31-13, and then the defense could not stop Texas. Yes, 14 of those points were 7 for Sanchez's interception and 7 for Alex Ross KO return, but it looked like in the third quarter OU was going to smoke Texas......

Eielson
10/14/2014, 09:48 AM

Do you understand what the word destroyed means?

SoonerPride
10/14/2014, 09:49 AM
What I don't get is people blaming the offense all of the time for the defense being on the field too much...Texas starts out with a 6 minute drive, Alex Ross TD, another 6 minute drive..

I agree 100%

OUmillenium
10/14/2014, 10:27 AM
At one time in the game OU was up 31-13, and then the defense could not stop Texas. Yes, 14 of those points were 7 for Sanchez's interception and 7 for Alex Ross KO return, but it looked like in the third quarter OU was going to smoke Texas......

We were also up 17-3 early and it looked like a blowout was in order. UTerus promptly answered on offense when our defense could have began shutting down an offense that has been a joke all year until this game.

BlownGP
10/14/2014, 10:48 AM
The defense is fine?

What game were you watching ?

You can't blame the offense that texas took the opening drive and rammed it down their throats for 6 minutes then Ross returned the KO and was back on the field.

The O didn't touch the ball until the 6 minute mark. The defense was on the field all day because it is terrible.

It was PATHETIC.

IIRC the offense gave the defense an 18 point lead with 12 minutes to go in the game and our "fine" defense promptly let texas go score again and again and it was the offense burning clock that sealed the victory.

Yeah, that drive was long, but don't blame the defense if the offense kept going 3 and out. We had like 21 yards of offense in the first half..

It was kinda a messed up half for the D because after that long drive Ross took it too the house.
The defense wasn't perfect, I'm not saying that but they did enough to give the offense time to get something going and they never did until after half time.

Yeah the 4th qtr was a cluster F, but our inability to stop a option QB hurt us again.

Eielson
10/14/2014, 11:32 AM

Agreed. But the offense didn't do them any favors, either.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/14/2014, 05:05 PM
No, there are lots of problems on both sides of the ball..All most fans want to talk about is how bad Heupel and Knight are though and there is a lot to it..If the defense can get them to 3rd down, do they have energy on 1st and 2nd and then the offense not working is making them tired on 3rd down?

I would assume that the defense was supposed to be good enough for the offense to feed off of but so far it hasn't been that way. Neither can do their jobs when the other side needs them to.

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2014, 05:50 PM
The horns kept the ball for 13 plays/6 min on the opening drive - can't put that on the offense. Then we got the KO return, which is a double edged sword. Great to get the points, but the defense goes right back out with no rest and the offense sits on the sidelines for what must seem like forever since kickoff. There is 6 minutes left in the 1st when to offense finally sees the ball, and they promptly lay 2 3-and-out turds and the quarter is over with zero yards gained.

I've seen other games play out like this where a long opening drive followed by a sudden possession change like this gets a team off to a very slow start. It's really bad if the sudden change is a fumble on the KO instead of a KO return. Had the defense gotten a normal 1st outing and forced a punt in 3-5 plays instead of allowing 13, maybe the offense gets going more in the first half. Plenty of letdowns on both sides of the ball in that first half.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/14/2014, 08:51 PM
When the opposing QB has 334 yards passing, I think it's safe to say our defense may be a little suspect.

SoonerPride
10/14/2014, 09:04 PM
When the opposing QB has 334 yards passing, I think it's safe to say our defense may be a little suspect.

Especially if that opposing quarterback is a backup who is universally regarded as mediocre.

Eielson
10/14/2014, 09:30 PM

It's not about yards. It's about points.

BlownGP
10/14/2014, 11:27 PM
The horns kept the ball for 13 plays/6 min on the opening drive - can't put that on the offense. Then we got the KO return, which is a double edged sword. Great to get the points, but the defense goes right back out with no rest and the offense sits on the sidelines for what must seem like forever since kickoff. There is 6 minutes left in the 1st when to offense finally sees the ball, and they promptly lay 2 3-and-out turds and the quarter is over with zero yards gained.

I've seen other games play out like this where a long opening drive followed by a sudden possession change like this gets a team off to a very slow start. It's really bad if the sudden change is a fumble on the KO instead of a KO return. Had the defense gotten a normal 1st outing and forced a punt in 3-5 plays instead of allowing 13, maybe the offense gets going more in the first half. Plenty of letdowns on both sides of the ball in that first half.

I agree, that's what I was trying to get out.. Our defense was put in a bad spot all first half.

BoulderSooner79
10/14/2014, 11:48 PM
I agree, that's what I was trying to get out.. Our defense was put in a bad spot all first half.

Well, I was actually saying the defense didn't help matters by allowing a 13 play drive to open the game. Understandable against a high powered offense, but not the horns. By the time the offense had a turn, the adrenaline from running down the tunnel had worn off. Not excusing the O performance, but the D got a bad start too.

SoCalBigRed
10/15/2014, 01:04 AM
I'm wondering when the heck did anything about OU/texas ever remotely resemble "normal", or play in that game, being indicative of anything OUTSIDE that particular game?

Oh... except texas still sucks.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/15/2014, 05:08 AM

1 first down, 30 yards, no 3rd down conversions. How can Stoops credibly leave Heupel in that job?

Did you see the Orange Bowl game against USC?

Jason White's Third Knee
10/15/2014, 06:17 AM

Oh! Snap!

I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't recall ever playing USC.

Never happened.

SoonerorLater
10/15/2014, 07:23 AM

You must remember we were playing against a highly paid professional football players.

Eielson
10/15/2014, 03:51 PM
You must remember we were playing against a highly paid professional football players.

Still no recollection of this game you speak of...