PDA

View Full Version : Sam or Andrew Luck

Soonerjeepman
10/9/2014, 09:07 PM
it's amazing how having a line, defense, receivers and a rb can make a QB look amazing.... I can't believe that Andrew Luck is that much better than Sam...

but it will be looked at that way.

Eielson
10/9/2014, 10:30 PM
We have to pick one?

Luck.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2014, 12:09 AM
Luck is HOF material if he stays healthy.

EatLeadCommie
10/10/2014, 12:11 AM
Luck can also run when he is in trouble.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2014, 12:15 AM
Luck can also run when he is in trouble.

Which is part of the reason. It helps young QBs tremendously if they can run out of trouble while they learn the craft. He reminds me of Elway who was also #1 pick out of Stanford. Doesn't have the cannon for an arm that Elway had, but is way ahead of the learning curve compared to Elway at this stage.

Salt City Sooner
10/10/2014, 01:46 AM
Would've been one heck of an interesting '09 Sun Bowl had they both been healthy.

aurorasooner
10/10/2014, 02:01 AM
I wonder what the Rams are going to do with Sammy's contract after this year. If they don't pick it will he just give it one more try and go to some team that needs a QB with starting experience?
Since he's bankrolled a ton of dough, I would like to see him go into coaching before he gets some devastating injury, and someday make it back to Norman.

Aries
10/10/2014, 06:23 AM
I wonder what the Rams are going to do with Sammy's contract after this year. If they don't pick it will he just give it one more try and go to some team that needs a QB with starting experience?
Since he's bankrolled a ton of dough, I would like to see him go into coaching before he gets some devastating injury, and someday make it back to Norman.

Th noise from the Rams FO *sounds* like they are interested in keeping him if he can fully recover. The popular speculation (from media and fans, I don't think the Rams have ever commented) is that he would have to renegotiate. Both sides would have to want to have the dance, so who knows how that would work out.

It's really hard to separate information from speculation. But I don't hear anything that suggests Sam is *necessarily* done with the Rams, although that's certainly a possibility. I don't think you'll see anything happen as far as his contract is concerned until this season is over.

SoonerForLife92
10/10/2014, 09:19 AM
I hope he goes to a competent team. He doesn't need to run like Luck if he had a line and playmakers.

Eielson
10/10/2014, 10:13 AM
Th noise from the Rams FO *sounds* like they are interested in keeping him if he can fully recover. The popular speculation (from media and fans, I don't think the Rams have ever commented) is that he would have to renegotiate. Both sides would have to want to have the dance, so who knows how that would work out.

It's really hard to separate information from speculation. But I don't hear anything that suggests Sam is *necessarily* done with the Rams, although that's certainly a possibility. I don't think you'll see anything happen as far as his contract is concerned until this season is over.

This. If the Rams cut Sam, I believe that about 13M in cap space will open up. That's a lot of money for somebody who has missed about 25 games in 2 years, and is only getting older. He's been pretty injury-prone for a while, and this latest one was the hardest to watch, as he was barely touched. Having said that, I'm confident the Rams would love to bring him back if he took a much cheaper deal. A lot is going to depend on how Davis continues to play, and who is available to us in the draft. I hope Sam can make it work with the Rams, because he really does have a pretty sweet deal here (other than having to play SF, SEA, and AZ twice a year).

Eielson
10/10/2014, 10:15 AM
I hope he goes to a competent team. He doesn't need to run like Luck if he had a line and playmakers.

The Rams have been taken over by an undrafted FA who was originally a walk-on at Southern Miss, and he's 10th in the league in passer rating. That excuse has worn out it's welcome.

EatLeadCommie
10/10/2014, 10:56 AM
The Rams have been taken over by an undrafted FA who was originally a walk-on at Southern Miss, and he's 10th in the league in passer rating. That excuse has worn out it's welcome.

Yes and keep in mind that this year was supposed to be a breakout year for Sam with all the personnel in place (although I still think his WR corps is weak). You're kind of comparing apples to oranges.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2014, 11:21 AM
Luck has had seasons where he has been sacked more and better at RB? Not sure about that one either.

Luck came into the league more prepared to be an NFL QB and that certainly helped..I just think Luck is better.

swardboy
10/10/2014, 12:30 PM
So STEP, is my idea too farfetched for Sam to go to New England and back-up Brady until he's ready to retire? Looks like a good offense for Sam to flourish in.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/10/2014, 12:42 PM
Hadn't thought of that but it would a great spot for him.

The Sports Animal Tulsa had me do a draft talk spot with their middle of the day folks before the 2010 draft..I told them the best thing that could happen to Sam was that he get drafted by the Colts and sit behind Manning until he retires..Of course we all knew that wouldn't happen and Pat Jones told me "Manning will be in Indy as long as he wants." and that he had another 5-6 years there. They brought up how healthy Manning had been over his career and I said all that means is that he is due a serious type injury.

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2014, 12:56 PM
Succeeding Brady would be a great situation for Sam. Sam is similar to Brady as a pure pocket passer with accuracy, but limited mobility. There are a lot of QBs like that, but NE has made it work well for the last 15 years. Of course, Brady is proven in many ways that Sam has not yet done.

badger
10/10/2014, 02:03 PM

If that's what works for the Rams, awesome. Sam probably needs to find a new franchise, because St. Louis has been a string of bad luck since that near-playoff run his rookie year.

I'd love to see him go somewhere with a franchise QB already in place that he can takeover for someday... provided he doesn't turn wrong on that fragile knee of his :(

BoulderSooner79
10/10/2014, 02:24 PM
If that's what works for the Rams, awesome. Sam probably needs to find a new franchise, because St. Louis has been a string of bad luck since that near-playoff run his rookie year.

I'd love to see him go somewhere with a franchise QB already in place that he can takeover for someday... provided he doesn't turn wrong on that fragile knee of his :(

Yep. Save that knee for the pro golf tour! That's where the real action is.

badger
10/10/2014, 02:44 PM
Yep. Save that knee for the pro golf tour! That's where the real action is.

He and Anthony Kim can bemoan their injury bad luck together while smacking golf balls around.

Eielson
10/13/2014, 03:09 PM
Yes and keep in mind that this year was supposed to be a breakout year for Sam with all the personnel in place (although I still think his WR corps is weak). You're kind of comparing apples to oranges.

If I'm not mistaken, you made a point, and then contradicted it in the same sentence.

Anyway, I do agree that I felt Sam was going to have a breakout year. Why didn't that happen? Because he's fragile. The blocking was just fine on that play, and Sam was barely even touched. You can't blame that on the Rams.

I do love Sam, and I hope he's still with Rams next year. He's going to have to restructure, though, because we're going to take the 13M of cap space rather than betting on his body holding up. The only thing holding Sam back right now is his own health, and a change of scenery isn't going to make a difference.

Eielson
10/13/2014, 09:04 PM
Shoot, maybe Sam is better off leaving the Rams. I keep expecting Davis to hit a wall, but the kid just keeps at it. He's picking apart one of the best defenses in the league, and this truly is starting to feel a bit Bulger-esque.