PDA

View Full Version : The Playoffs

SicEmBaylor
10/8/2014, 11:43 AM
Let me be clear that I've always opposed a playoff system. Having said that, why the hell did they not create a s a system whereby the P5 conference winners are automatically in the playoff with a committee then choosing 3 'at large' bids for an 8-team playoff system? Would this not have made much more sense?

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2014, 11:54 AM
Not enough drama.

SicEmBaylor
10/8/2014, 12:16 PM
Not enough drama.

And not enough $EC.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/8/2014, 12:19 PM
Let me be clear that I've always opposed a playoff system. Having said that, why the hell did they not create a s a system whereby the P5 conference winners are automatically in the playoff with a committee then choosing 3 'at large' bids for an 8-team playoff system? Would this not have made much more sense?exactly what should be. Any more than 8 would harmfully alter college football, cheapen the regular season, like has been done in pro sports.

badger
10/8/2014, 12:26 PM
And not enough $EC.
Meh, they could get 4 SEC spots under either scenario. Perhaps they'd rather have 4 of 4 spots, rather than 4 of 8? More exclusive to them that way?

Then again, they're letting just about anybody into the SEC these days, so why not expand the SEC to all 60 power conference teams and never let a mid-major have a quality opponent (or be subject to NCAA regulation) ever again?

SoonerMachine
10/8/2014, 12:27 PM
No automatic bids.

SicEmBaylor
10/8/2014, 12:32 PM
Meh, they could get 4 SEC spots under either scenario. Perhaps they'd rather have 4 of 4 spots, rather than 4 of 8? More exclusive to them that way?

Then again, they're letting just about anybody into the SEC these days, so why not expand the SEC to all 60 power conference teams and never let a mid-major have a quality opponent (or be subject to NCAA regulation) ever again?

When I said 3 'at large' bids, I was thinking along the lines that the P5 conferences would be exempt...meaning the other 3 would have to come from non-P5 conferences; however, I can see how your scenario would be more palatable thus allowing more P5 schools into the equation.

badger
10/8/2014, 12:40 PM
I think the future playoffs, expansion, qualifying, auto or non auto bids, etc., will largely depend on which four teams get in this year.

As I'm sure many of you recall, when OU kept lucking into the BCS championship game back in the early aughts, The howling from elsewhere caused the quality win and strength of schedule components to be taken out. Then, when OU lucked into the 2008 BCS title game and Texas whined, the Big 12 decided that being separated by a single spot in rankings was not enough of a difference and that maybe they should have considered that :mack::texan:Hook 'emDOUBLEDIGITVICTORYSETTLEDONANEUTRALFIELD

lol at everyone else.

PS: Yes, we lucked in, just like LSU lucked in 2007. Alas, we couldn't win the big game when we made it there those three times

SoonerMachine
10/8/2014, 01:03 PM
Automatic bids = entitlement. 8 is the right number and I designed a playoff scenario going back to '98 - it works. If you want greater then 8, it only makes sense to invite the 11 conference winners plus 1 indie (but make the indies schedule each other in the regular season).

BoulderSooner79
10/8/2014, 01:25 PM
I thought now that we have a playoff, the annual playoff thread would go away.

I guess it will just morph into the annual "next playoff" thread.

mainline13
10/8/2014, 05:58 PM
Well, they already have an 8 team round robin (call it SEC West). Whoever ends on top of that will be the centerpiece of a show, which will end with that team being crowned champ - barring only the possibility of said team completely crapping themselves during the aforementioned show.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/8/2014, 06:02 PM
Well, they already have an 8 team round robin (call it SEC West). Whoever ends on top of that will be the centerpiece of a show, which will end with that team being crowned champ - barring only the possibility of said team completely crapping themselves during the aforementioned show.Should the Sooners, or anyone that's non SEC SEC SEC even field a team?

SoonerorLater
10/8/2014, 06:35 PM
No automatic bids. Conferences are chiefly scheduling mechanisms. College Football is unsuitable for a playoff format and giving automatic berths because a team wins their conference makes it even worse.

ouwasp
10/8/2014, 08:01 PM
I've been in favor of a playoff since OU finished #3 three years in a row 78-80. Needs to be an 8-team bracket. Computers should be involved to some extent. SOS should be a strong component. Leaning against automatic bids...but I bet most cfb fans would prefer them because of the influence of March Madness model. Yeah, it's apples and oranges, but that's modern Americans for you.

swardboy
10/8/2014, 09:49 PM
I've been in favor of a playoff since OU finished #3 three years in a row 78-80. Needs to be an 8-team bracket. Computers should be involved to some extent. SOS should be a strong component. Leaning against automatic bids...but I bet most cfb fans would prefer them because of the influence of March Madness model. Yeah, it's apples and oranges, but that's modern Americans for you.

Hey, thems my people you're talkin' about!!!