Yards Allowed Per Game
National Rank

Rushing Defense
99th

Passing Defense
5th

Total Defense
29th

Having watched the Horns several times this year, the defense is without question the strength of this team. I didn't realize it until I looked at the statistics, but their run defense isn't as good as I thought it was, however, they make up for it with excellent secondary play. The offense is just not very good. Tyrone Swoopes is pretty consistent with the short passing game, but intermediate and beyond is where his accuracy really drops off. He is capable of running, but not on the same level as Knight, and would rather scramble to throw than leave the pocket and run.

The biggest issue for Texas so far has been their offensive line. They are on par with what we saw in Tennessee, if not worse. The play of the O-line has really hurt the Texas run game, and kept the talented back field from being very productive. Pass protection isn't much better, as they have allowed 10 sacks through 5 games.

On paper, OU is good enough to win by two touchdowns (or more), however, it will take the Sooners showing up prepared to play in order to win. As with any RRR, the records don't matter much. Also, as with any RRR, the team with the better QB almost always wins. Knight must put last week behind him and play more like he has early in the year. If he does that, and the team shows up Saturday prepared, the Sooners will win.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2014, 05:16 PM
If we can establish a lead, even just 1 TD, and play solid defense, we should be able to control this one.

flysooner9
10/6/2014, 05:30 PM
Looks like rain could be a factor.

Okie35
10/6/2014, 05:34 PM
We will win off their offensive turnovers

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2014, 05:37 PM
*RRS

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2014, 05:52 PM
*RRS

I'm sure you watched the BU/UT game more intently than most of us here - anything of note to add?

How did the horns shutout your offense in the 1st half? How did you break through that in the 2nd?

SicEmBaylor
10/6/2014, 09:57 PM
I'm sure you watched the BU/UT game more intently than most of us here - anything of note to add?

How did the horns shutout your offense in the 1st half? How did you break through that in the 2nd?

I'm not an Xs and Os guru, but it was pretty obvious they were selling out on stopping the long passing game. Their defense actually looked very good. Despite Texas' record, they're a better team than most think. The problem is their offense. They are f'n terrible. Really really terrible. I don't know who Texas has in the pipe at QB, but they need to reload and quickly.

Petty. I don't know what the hell is wrong with Petty. I noticed it last year when he started having a bit of trouble connecting on some long passes that he should have been hitting. And this year he has just not been good -- I'll say it, Petty is overrated at the moment. He's a fantastic QB, but the pressure or something is getting to him because I think he's over thinking.

He isn't connecting with his receivers like he should either in short yardage situations or the long ball. He just isn't. I don't know what his problem is, but our defense has kept us undefeated at this point believe it or not. We've had a lot of injuries on offense, and we're plugging those guys back in so maybe they'll get back in stride against TCU. I can only hope. If we play against TCU like we did Texas then we're going to lose.

Shock Linwood though is a beast.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2014, 11:24 PM
Thanks, Sic'em. We should be good to go because our QB can miss short and long w/o having to over-think things :concern:

I just hope our defense comes out focused and ready to dominate. If we can do that, our offense can always put together a drive or two even if it's not hitting on all cylinders.

BTW, we need you guys to win…

Soonerjeepman
10/7/2014, 08:40 AM
On paper, OU is good enough to win by two touchdowns (or more), however, it will take the Sooners showing up prepared to play in order to win.

same as last year....I hate to say it but the tcu lost might "help" them focus. I know they are just 18-23 yr old "young men, kids" but it's pretty standard response after a loss ...."we just didn't focus, execute...etc". You'd think that they would know this coming INTO the game. Ah well, hell I don't always focus at work either! lol

I will add, I watched some of the ut/ku game....man was that UGLY. ut's scores the first 16 I think, not one drive as longer than 30 yards...all started on the ku side. GREAT field position. So not real worried about their offense. Hope OUr offense can get going.