PDA

View Full Version : New coaches poll out

Widescreen
10/5/2014, 11:51 AM
http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

Not that it really matters much but we're #9. Not a bad drop but I have a feeling this team has more losses in store. Hope I'm wrong.

Eielson
10/5/2014, 11:53 AM
Looks about right.

Sooner Schemer
10/5/2014, 12:32 PM
And still ranked ahead of unbeaten TCU

TrophyCollector
10/5/2014, 12:51 PM
And still ranked ahead of unbeaten TCU

Which is stupid and part of why they went to a new system.

PhiDeltBeers
10/5/2014, 12:55 PM
Undefeated Arizona still behind Oregon.

okiewaker
10/5/2014, 01:15 PM
Looks right to me. It's going to get hairy down the stretch. I believe most of those teams in the top 5 will lose at some point and OU will have a slim chance, but a chance, to climb back in the top 4. OU gotta win out.

stoopified
10/5/2014, 01:29 PM
Looks right to me. It's going to get hairy down the stretch. I believe most of those teams in the top 5 will lose at some point and OU will have a slim chance, but a chance, to climb back in the top 4. OU gotta win out.Yeah BUT if we play like we did last nite,that won"t happen. Hope TCU is as good as we made them look and not a mediocre 7-5 or 8-4 team.

SoonerMarkVA
10/5/2014, 01:31 PM
Which is stupid and part of why they went to a new system.

You could believe as a voter that a team would beat another team 4 of 5 times, and this time was the 1 of 5 they didn't. You can't always shift the whole stack to ensure that one team that beat another team is always ranked higher.

Edit: if TCU stays unbeaten, they'll jump us, so they control their destiny.

BoulderSooner79
10/5/2014, 01:32 PM
TCU will be tough out for rest of the big12, but they are not world beaters. Guess we'll see pretty quick as they go on the road against Baylor next week I think. If they do win out, more power to them.

BoulderSooner79
10/5/2014, 01:34 PM
You could believe as a voter that a team would beat another team 4 of 5 times, and this time was the 1 of 5 they didn't. You can't always shift the whole stack to ensure that one team that beat another team is always ranked higher.

Yep - you get rock/paper/scissors problems pretty quickly.

Eielson
10/5/2014, 01:37 PM
According to the AP poll (coaches poll is about the same), half of our conference is rated in the top 17. I can't believe I'm saying this, but that puts us ahead of the SEC.

Of course, they have us beat as far as top 5 and top 10, but we can definitely start doing some of that "getting ranked high based off beating each other" stuff they do in the SEC.

okiewaker
10/5/2014, 02:26 PM
Yeah BUT if we play like we did last nite,that won"t happen. Hope TCU is as good as we made them look and not a mediocre 7-5 or 8-4 team.

Yeah,,I left this ^^^ part out b/c it's goes w/o saying.

Okie35
10/5/2014, 02:43 PM

Edit: if TCU stays unbeaten, they'll jump us, so they control their destiny.

No they won't considering the OOC schedule, if we win out too. I think they lose to Baylor next week though. Widescreen we won't lose again.

bluedogok
10/5/2014, 02:47 PM
...or 2008 and the 3-way tie in which Texas wanted to forget about their loss to Tech.

SoonerMarkVA
10/5/2014, 03:01 PM
No they won't considering the OOC schedule, if we win out too. I think they lose to Baylor next week though. Widescreen we won't lose again.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see any way that, if both us and TCU go the rest of the season undefeated, they would put a 1-loss OU, whose 1 loss is against an unbeaten, in over that unbeaten. Not in the polls, and definitely not from the committee.

Of course, if BU takes 'em out (or even better WV) and we win out, that's a whole different ballgame.

BoulderSooner79
10/5/2014, 04:25 PM
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see any way that, if both us and TCU go the rest of the season undefeated, they would put a 1-loss OU, whose 1 loss is against an unbeaten, in over that unbeaten. Not in the polls, and definitely not from the committee.

Of course, if BU takes 'em out (or even better WV) and we win out, that's a whole different ballgame.

Of course TCU would pass us if they win out - they would win the conference outright. That fact they haven't passed us yet just shows it takes more than 1 game to make everyone believers.

birddog
10/5/2014, 05:10 PM
Yessir. This thing could look like a college bball poll in January by the time we play kstate. This 4 team whatnot is new and there's just way too many games left.

Pride1Mom
10/6/2014, 11:49 AM
Alabama lost to an UNRANKED team, and they are still above OU. Go figure!

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2014, 11:51 AM

Ole Miss was unranked in which poll (pole)?

Widescreen
10/6/2014, 12:14 PM
Ole Miss was #11 in both polls last week. So actually a better loss than ours to TCU.

rock on sooner
10/6/2014, 12:47 PM
Looks right to me. It's going to get hairy down the stretch. I believe most of those teams in the top 5 will lose at some point and OU will have a slim chance, but a chance, to climb back in the top 4. OU gotta win out.

The undefeateds in the SEC still have to play each other, Auburn still has
Bama and so on...there will be a LOT of one loss teams. Free Shoes U will
probably go undefeated and be a #1 seed...and, since there will be so many
one loss teams, the SEC will probably get two teams in...(ugh, I just had to
sanitize my keyboard after typing that!)

TAFBSooner
10/6/2014, 01:02 PM
It's not just the SECeders that will be knocking each other off. Note that all four of them that are ahead of us are in their West division. There's a whole lotta losses still to come.

October 18:

#6 Dome at Free Shoes. Coaches seem to love em some FSU (44 of 61 first place votes), so they may not fall below us if they do lose.

October 11:

Frogs at Baylor. Do we not think Baylor will win this?

rock on sooner
10/6/2014, 01:06 PM
It's not just the SECeders that will be knocking each other off. Note that all four of them that are ahead of us are in their West division. There's a whole lotta losses still to come.

October 18:

#6 Dome at Free Shoes. Coaches seem to love em some FSU (44 of 61 first place votes), so they may not fall below us if they do lose.

October 11:

Frogs at Baylor. Do we not think Baylor will win this?

I forgot the Domers play FSU...might be interesting...

Statalyzer
10/6/2014, 04:06 PM

But when you don't get RPS problems - like this example here - it should be clear-cut. Ole Miss should be ahead of Alabama, TCU ahead of Oklahoma, and Mississippi State ahead of Texas A&M.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2014, 04:49 PM
But when you don't get RPS problems - like this example here - it should be clear-cut. Ole Miss should be ahead of Alabama, TCU ahead of Oklahoma, and Mississippi State ahead of Texas A&M.

I don't see why that should be hard and fast rule. Rankings are a summary from many different people, so there are bound to be anomalies. And who cares this early in the year - it will settle in after everyone has a much larger body of work. I guess it matters to the stats types that like to brag about how many weeks a team is in the top 5 or other such things. But that's more important in baseball; football, not so much.