PDA

View Full Version : Uncoordinated coordinators

GDC
10/4/2014, 09:52 PM
The fact that ou has had to score 24 points by halftime in each of the last two games just to keep it tied up is a very disturbing trend. Heupel laid a major egg today but m. Stoops and his defensive-minded brother have led terribly unprepared defenses onto the field for two games in a row now. I hope they get this crap straightened out soon or a few more games are going to be very unpleasant to watch this year.:frown:

Therealsouthsider
10/4/2014, 10:02 PM
....I could see Baylors offense putting up 31pts, not TCU. As bad as Heuples prowess on the offensive side of the ball, I expect more from a Mike Stoops defense

ss

aurorasooner
10/4/2014, 11:13 PM
I've thought that we were playing ""vanilla on both sides of the ball to perhaps not show anything until we had to, but that thought went out the window in the 2nd half today.
But I'm now of the opinion that our coordinators started to believe the national press that our D front was all world and that no opposing QB would have time to throw the ball, much less rip us a new one. Also the offensive running game and huge offensive line could not be stopped by anything short of kryptonite, and we could just show up with vanilla unimaginative game plans on both sides of the ball and win up until the Baylor game. (same thing that happened in Dallas last year)
One of the things that come to mind is that HCBS often said after the Sugar Bowl, that TK finally played like he does every day in practice. pffft.
Either it's just disinformation propaganda, or perhaps the guy is just a practice player and can't translate his stellar practice performances to the games on a consistent basis. (the Sugar Bowl is beginning to look like an anomaly)
In any event both coordinators got pwned with their game plans today. Congrats to TCU.
We did have our chances at the end though.

BTW Utah is up on UCLA 17-7 at the half, and K Thompson is getting some snaps. Black Saturday for most of the teams in the top 10.

GDC
10/5/2014, 08:41 AM
TK does practice against the same defense that is getting lit up for at least one half each week. Maybe he only resembles Manziel during the first half of each practice.

dwarthog
10/5/2014, 09:37 AM
The defense was definitely a BIG disappointment. We looked to be just standing around the first couple of series. And supposedly we had their offensive signals decoded and knew what they were going to run too? That part hurts even more IMO. Couldn't even stop plays we knew they were going to run....

Tear Down This Wall
10/5/2014, 10:07 AM
Defense played coverage far too much. Few blitzes. If Sanchez still can't tackle because of his shoulder, shut him down, please.

GDC
10/5/2014, 11:43 AM
Maybe we're in the same boat with Sanchez as we are with Knight, no better options to turn to. Both corners are just flat out getting beat much too often.

NorthernIowaSooner
10/5/2014, 03:20 PM
This is the first time this year I've been frustrated with Heupel.
-Knight was struggling to throw and he kept calling pass plays.
-On 3rd down and short the Pistol formation is not a good choice in my mind. Get under center and sneak it or power it, works in the NFL, it'll work in college.
-That slow deliberate handoff from Knight takes forever and slows down the whole process. At some point they either need Knight to take it and run or just scrap it.

On the defensive side of the ball the secondary was frustrating but I'm not sure that is all scheme. I think some of those guys just aren't that good in coverage. WVU exposed it and TCU made them look bad too.

GDC
10/5/2014, 08:43 PM
I hope they get it figured out or at least two of the games could be rough.

Snrinhouston
10/5/2014, 09:02 PM
This is the first time this year I've been frustrated with Heupel.
-Knight was struggling to throw and he kept calling pass plays.
-On 3rd down and short the Pistol formation is not a good choice in my mind. Get under center and sneak it or power it, works in the NFL, it'll work in college.
-That slow deliberate handoff from Knight takes forever and slows down the whole process. At some point they either need Knight to take it and run or just scrap it.

On the defensive side of the ball the secondary was frustrating but I'm not sure that is all scheme. I think some of those guys just aren't that good in coverage. WVU exposed it and TCU made them look bad too.

I was wondering about this too. Would two qb sneaks been better calls yesterday when it was 3rd and 2?

birddog
10/5/2014, 09:06 PM
I automatically assumed Trevor would sneak that 4th and 1 until I saw him line up in the pistol. It was obvious that perine was getting the ball and it took way too long to develop and tcu ate it up. Tcu played a great game and took it to us. Congrats to them. Time to get ready for an entertaining, wide open season.

aurorasooner
10/5/2014, 09:45 PM
I automatically assumed Trevor would sneak that 4th and 1 until I saw him line up in the pistol. It was obvious that perine was getting the ball and it took way too long to develop and tcu ate it up. Tcu played a great game and took it to us. Congrats to them. Time to get ready for an entertaining, wide open season.When I saw him in the pistol, I thought, Sugar Bowl Big Game Bob is going to go for broke here, and pull a K.Wilson against Stool State, fake the handoff and then we're going to sneak someone down the middle for plenty of YAC and maybe an easy 6. (probably should've tried that on 3rd)
We'd have probably just been sacked though or the receiver would've fallen down with the pass sailing to the ground in a defender-empty field.
Hell, both would've even been better though than getting stuffed on 4th and 1 with an "every fan watching, much less the D, knows where the play is going", play-call.

Snrinhouston
10/5/2014, 10:44 PM
When I saw him in the pistol, I thought, Sugar Bowl Big Game Bob is going to go for broke here, and pull a K.Wilson against Stool State, fake the handoff and then we're going to sneak someone down the middle for plenty of YAC and maybe an easy 6. (probably should've tried that on 3rd)
We'd have probably just been sacked though or the receiver would've fallen down with the pass sailing to the ground in a defender-empty field.
Hell, both would've even been better though than getting stuffed on 4th and 1 with an "every fan watching, much less the D, knows where the play is going", play-call.

This really was the indication that our offensive line has been over-ranked. Had the offensive line really been as good as advertised, it wouldn't have mattered that everyone knew who was getting the ball on 4th and 1.

delhalew
10/6/2014, 06:08 AM
We had a bye week to prepare that weak sauce.
Marinate in that crap for at least an hour.

thecrimsoncrusader
10/6/2014, 08:00 AM
This really was the indication that our offensive line has been over-ranked. Had the offensive line really been as good as advertised, it wouldn't have mattered that everyone knew who was getting the ball on 4th and 1.

Darlington is the only problem, unfortunately, it's a big problem. He has been a significant drop-off from Ikard. I wonder if in live games if Nila would fare better than Darlington as the center position.

BoulderSooner79
10/6/2014, 08:45 AM
We had a bye week to prepare that weak sauce.
Marinate in that crap for at least an hour.

Yeah, but it was a major trap game between bye and the horns.

:highly_amused: