PDA

View Full Version : This one is entirely on the offensive cord...

ObiKaTony
10/4/2014, 06:26 PM
Clueless...absolutely clueless how to run this type of offense. And before anyone mentions bama, that was with an entirely different receiving cores and make up. The qb draw with 50 seconds left is indicative of the entire game plan.

Read option? What read option we should throw screens and bs gimmick plays...

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2014, 06:28 PM
Yeah, TCU's offensive coordinator. Bastage.

Sooner8th
10/4/2014, 06:28 PM
Massive cluster after the fumble, all on coaching. How do you come out of a time out and not have the right guys in? We, the coaches on the second to last series and knight looked like we are Kansas. Embarrassing

winout
10/4/2014, 06:31 PM
Yes I think we need an upgrade at OC. Seldom should you go with the guy who "paid his dues."

BoulderSooner79
I blame the media. If only more of them had put us on upset alert!

ObiKaTony
Yeah, TCU's offensive coordinator. Bastage.

Or defense forced how many turn overs? Yeah, though so. Our offense gave em a god damn td with that slant knight eyed for 10 seconds...

Sooner8th
10/4/2014, 06:33 PM
Knight was terrible, how many guys did he miss in the first half when he was playing "good"?

Baylor is going to kill us.

Football season is over.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2014, 06:34 PM
Or defense forced how many turn overs? Yeah, though so. Our offense gave em a god damn td with that slant knight eyed for 10 seconds...

TCU played a good game and moved the ball and made big plays. Would you have guessed they would put 31 on us on offense? They had a good plan and beat our butts.

ObiKaTony
10/4/2014, 06:35 PM
Knight was terrible, how many guys did he miss in the first half when he was playing "good"?

Football season is over.

Knight skill set is not set up for this crap more so without very gold receivers. Fortunately, we have awesome running back, big te , and great line we don't know how to use...

ObiKaTony
10/4/2014, 06:37 PM
TCU played a good game and moved the ball and made big plays. Would you have guessed they would put 31 on us on offense? They had a good plan and beat our butts.

Yes, that's why I earned money today. What I did say back 3 days ago is that our offsne needs to change if we are to compete for a championship. Our scheme sucks, and we got beat because of it. 3 trips to the red zone - 0 points. A slant pass for. 7 for tcu...

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2014, 06:38 PM
I blame Katy Perry. She told TK to call her and that's all he could think about during the game.

Okie35
10/4/2014, 06:38 PM

Football season is over.

Funny... We won't lose again.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2014, 06:40 PM
Yes, that's why I earned money today. What I did say back 3 days ago is that our offsne needs to change if we are to compete for a championship. Our scheme sucks, and we got beat because of it. 3 trips to the red zone - 0 points. A slant pass for. 7 for tcu...

But you don't win titles giving up that many points, yards, 3rd down conversion, etc. Guess you can't tip your cap when the other guy out plays ya, eh?

Sooner8th
10/4/2014, 06:41 PM
Funny... We won't lose again.

Do you think baylor is better or worse then tcu? Our defense is awful.

Snrinhouston
10/4/2014, 06:42 PM
There is plenty of blame to go around.

1. Inconsistent plays on first down
2. Poor 3rd down defense
3. Over-reliance on Shepard
4. Nothing stellar on kick coverage or kick returns
5. Inability of our "overhyped" line to move the defense on short yards.

Okie35
10/4/2014, 06:42 PM

With their spread offense and a mobile qb yea I would think so...

okiewaker
10/4/2014, 06:43 PM
Knight is not Landry, Sam, or Jason. He is a run option guy,,I guess. He is certainly no where in the same hemisphere passing as those guys. Gotta run him,,if he gets hurt, next guy up. IMO

Okie35
10/4/2014, 06:44 PM
There is plenty of blame to go around.

1. Inconsistent plays on first down
2. Poor 3rd down defense
3. Over-reliance on Shepard
4. Nothing stellar on kick coverage or kick returns
5. Inability of our "overhyped" line to move the defense on short yards.

Odd that whenever we had short yardage they'd stop for something... On the goal line and that stop on 4th down

Okie35
10/4/2014, 06:45 PM
Knight is not Landry, Sam, or Jason. He is a run option guy,,I guess. He is certainly no where in the same hemisphere passing as those guys. Gotta run him,,if he gets hurt, next guy up. IMO

He's not a big guy once he got lit up he played pretty nervous. It's not the end of the world. We will win out I'll puty account on it.

Snrinhouston
10/4/2014, 06:47 PM
He's not a big guy once he got lit up he played pretty nervous. It's not the end of the world. We will win out I'll puty account on it.

I hope you're right. But I can't imagine this team winning the rest of its games.

ouhomer123
10/4/2014, 06:49 PM
The team and coaches puked down the legs today....very disappointing.

Tiptonsooner
Sometimes you just get beat. The better team, on that day, wins.......

Gotta get better

BoulderSooner79
Sometimes you just get beat. The better team, on that day, wins.......

Gotta get better

Pretty much.

pac10SUX
WE LOOKED LIKED SMU - GOOD LORD!!

okiewaker
[QUOTE=okiewaker;4860202]

So,,if he can't pass, and running makes his bunghole pucker,,,,why is he QB at OU? Anywhoo,,,,,

Eielson
10/4/2014, 06:54 PM
What's an offensive cord? Is it kinda like an aux cord?

Mookie91
10/4/2014, 06:57 PM
Hard to call plays when your QB can't hit the broadside of the barn. TCU pinned their ears back cause Knight sucks

aurorasooner
10/4/2014, 06:57 PM
Watched a little of the whorn/Bears game during commercials, and if we don't ditch this simple running game pretty quick, they're going to skunk us next week, or there will only be defensive TDs for both sides. The good news is that it may go into OT tied at 0

It does make me wonder who actually game-planned our O for the Sugar Bowl.

East Coast Bias
10/4/2014, 07:00 PM
TCU reminded me of what we looked like on offense with Landry and the spread. It's a hard offense to stop with receivers flying around the field, especially with a QB that can run the ball. We were not able to get pressure on the QB and that put a lot of pressure on the LB's and secondary. Why didn't someone spy the QB?

guido911
10/4/2014, 07:10 PM
Heupel needs to go. Start there. OU got rid of Venables because he couldn't deliver.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2014, 07:10 PM
A couple of things here

1. The offense didn't give up 31 points. It is the defense's job to keep us in the game until the offense starts to click. It is amazing to me how much this board gives Mike a pass. This would have been 100% on Vulnerables 5 years ago.
2. There was a lot of complaining in the game thread about the running back substitutions - that is 100% controlled by Cale Gundy who has openly said that he just substitutes "by feel". I know if I was the OC, that crap would have to be approved by me when the game is close.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2014, 07:12 PM
There is no 3.

EatLeadCommie
10/4/2014, 07:13 PM
A couple of things here

1. The offense didn't give up 31 points. It is the defense's job to keep us in the game until the offense starts to click. It is amazing to me how much this board gives Mike a pass. This would have been 100% on Vulnerables 5 years ago.
2. There was a lot of complaining in the game thread about the running back substitutions - that is 100% controlled by Cale Gundy who has openly said that he just substitutes "by feel". I know if I was the OC, that crap would have to be approved by me when the game is close.

Defense definitely crapped the bed tonight. But I see continuous BS with the offense and Josh trying to change plays with under 10 seconds left. He simply can't do that. He isn't a QB on the field anymore and he needs to deal with that reality.

guido911
10/4/2014, 07:17 PM
A couple of things here

Good points.

Snrinhouston
10/4/2014, 07:19 PM
A couple of things here

Agree with Point 1. Atrocious 3rd down defense, and plenty of sloppy tackling.

Agree with Point 2. Always wondered why Gundy is there. Is he a tremendous recruiter? Still, our Oline is clearly overrated. Way too many 1st down runs thrown for losses or with minimal gains.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2014, 07:21 PM
There is no 3.

It was a complaint about the meerkat and Heupel trying to micromanage the game again.

Sooner8th
10/4/2014, 07:21 PM
A couple of things here

Too many 3 and outs, got to move the ball a little and give our guys time to rest. We are back to terrible third down defense, WTF happened to the pass rush? Can he not figure that out?

SoonerMarkVA
10/4/2014, 07:22 PM
A couple of things here

Not me. I haven't laid into anyone because I generally don't do that, but I thought our defense looked horrible. The only thing that looked good was our ability to force some turnovers, but we pretty much got whooped by Boyken.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2014, 07:22 PM
It was a complaint about the meerkat and Heupel trying to micromanage the game again.

I thought is was a Monty Python reference.

EatLeadCommie
10/4/2014, 07:24 PM
Agree with Point 1. Atrocious 3rd down defense, and plenty of sloppy tackling.

Agree with Point 2. Always wondered why Gundy is there. Is he a tremendous recruiter? Still, our Oline is clearly overrated. Way too many 1st down runs thrown for losses or with minimal gains.

I don't think the OL is overrated. I think our offense tips its hand. Christ, if Rip is out there, we're gonna run. If Bell is, we're gonna pass. That's just one thing of many. It's hard to block when the D knows what's coming. Maybe Rip will actually catch a pass against Texas! That will be our offensive wrinkle!

Eielson
10/4/2014, 07:26 PM

We don't have Ford or Mixon, so we're kinda stuck with Ross.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2014, 07:27 PM

There are a 100 things you need to be good at to be a good coach. Gundy seems to be good at quite a bit of them, but one thing he has never been good at is sensing momentum. Another seems to be managing expectations during game week about carries (most of our attrition at running back has been when he told some kid he'd get X carries and he got 0). His substitution patterns are so bad that it is why we always look like a better running team when we are down to 1 available back.

As for the OL, Boulder and I had doubts about the OL strategy as far back as game 1. It just seems that the running backs and the OL are at a mismatch, but we just hadn't ran into a DL that would test the theory.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2014, 07:29 PM
We don't have Ford or Mixon, so we're kinda stuck with Ross.

Yes, but there is no rule that says when you've marched down for a score with a running back that you don't put him back out there with a chance to get the lead.

Sooner Schemer
10/4/2014, 07:29 PM
I don't think Josh is the only one micromanaging the offense as we've had similar problems with other OC's.

And I think we really missed Keith Ford today.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2014, 07:30 PM
I thought is was a Monty Python reference.

I just spent 7 hours at a swim meet, I can barely remember how to open my eyes.

hawaii 5-0
10/4/2014, 07:32 PM
Without reading all the posts, I thought Josh's playcalling was milktoast. Too many wasted timeouts on top of that.

Too many times on obvious running downs Josh called the bread and butter run up the gut with expected results. No conversion.

5-0

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/4/2014, 07:34 PM
I don't think Josh is the only one micromanaging the offense as we've had similar problems with other OC's.

And I think we really missed Keith Ford today.

The meerkat IS micromanaging the offense.

Not Micromanaging - Making an educated guess about what the defense will take away, calling a play that will take advantage of it and running that play. You trust your QB to make any audibles based on the offensive call. Typically snap the ball with 10-15 seconds on the clock.

Micromanaging - Calling in a play and lining up. Then looking at the defense and calling another play to take advantage of what you see. Then if they swap again, you change it again. Typically snap the ball with 1-4 seconds left on the clock.

guido911
OU needs to spend some money and get a professional OC. Can we pry Spavital?

Sooner8th
Without reading all the posts, I thought Josh's playcalling was milktoast. Too many wasted timeouts on top of that.

Too many times on obvious running downs Josh called the bread and butter run up the gut with expected results. No conversion.

5-0

Like no one knew Perine was getting the ball on that last 4th and 1, right up middle.

Eielson
10/4/2014, 07:35 PM
Yes, but there is no rule that says when you've marched down for a score with a running back that you don't put him back out there with a chance to get the lead.

I honestly don't remember the substitutions that much. I just know that if your only back up is Ross, it's not going to be pretty. Perine just can't take every carry. We probably would have won with Ford out there. Then again, Ford is always hurt, so that's a pretty bad excuse.

Eielson
10/4/2014, 07:36 PM
Like no one knew Perine was getting the ball on that last 4th and 1, right up middle.

Yeah, should have run a flea-flicker.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2014, 07:37 PM

5-0

You're not getting off that easy - go back and read every post or this one will be ignored!

Sooner8th
10/4/2014, 07:38 PM
I honestly don't remember the substitutions that much. I just know that if your only back up is Ross, it's not going to be pretty. Perine just can't take every carry. We probably would have won with Ford out there. Then again, Ford is always hurt, so that's a pretty bad excuse.

We had Perine in and went down the field and scored, the next series Ross was in. I could be wrong, by that time I was hitting it pretty hard.....

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2014, 07:39 PM

But that's the problem when you're QB is not playing well, they sold out and we were afraid to leave the ball in TK's hands.

East Coast Bias
10/4/2014, 07:40 PM
I put it on both sides of the ball. With all the bad stuff that happened the offense still could have pulled it out at the end with a first down. You have to give some credit to the TCU defense, they played a lot of man coverage and nobody was open. That had to be frustrating For Knight who resorted to forcing it in to Shepard. I thought they should have called more screens and stuff on the edge . More runs by Knight. The defense was lost when they couldn't get to the QB.
If you want to talk about overated, how about our DB's? We haven't been able to stop the big play pass for years. Don't expect to see any of those guys in the NFL....

Eielson
10/4/2014, 07:42 PM
Nothing says "You got beat" like your most powerful RB getting stuffed on 4th and 1. If you line up and execute, you get that yard. We just got beat. I have no issues with that playcall.

Snrinhouston
10/4/2014, 08:02 PM
Nothing says "You got beat" like your most powerful RB getting stuffed on 4th and 1. If you line up and execute, you get that yard. We just got beat. I have no issues with that playcall.

Agree. A playoff worthy team ought to be able to get a yard even when the other team knows who's getting the ball. It's disturbing that we didn't even get a body on the guy who brought down Perine.

Widescreen
10/4/2014, 08:03 PM

I do. How do you not put Knight under center and either sneak it or give it to Perine 2 yards behind the LOS instead of 6 yards? Absolutely ridiculous play call. We needed less than 1 freaking yard and we made it way more difficult than it needed to be.

Eielson
10/4/2014, 08:07 PM
I do. How do you not put Knight under center and either sneak it or give it to Perine 2 yards behind the LOS instead of 6 yards? Absolutely ridiculous play call. We needed less than 1 freaking yard and we made it way more difficult than it needed to be.

I don't think it really mattered where he was handed the ball. We missed a block.

jkjsooner
10/4/2014, 08:09 PM

I don't mind that call. It was our best chance to get it. Wouldn't put it in the hands of Knight nor would I run wide and give the defense a chance to swarm to us.

We convert that 3 out of 4 times. That's the best you can hope for.

Snrinhouston
10/4/2014, 08:10 PM

I was wondering the same.

Also wondered why Patterson went for the FG on that 4th and 1 in the fourth quarter. I had absolutely no confidence that OU could have stopped them.

jkjsooner
10/4/2014, 08:11 PM
I don't think it really mattered where he was handed the ball. We missed a block.

Was that the play the right tackle went to block a linebacker and left the guy on the end free to bust up the play?

Is that a bad scheme or a bad missed assignment?

SoonerLB
10/4/2014, 08:40 PM
Nightmare I had last night . . . . . , or was it today?

Bob: "Let's just run those same plays we always do. And only to those same players. We don't want to confuse our guys or their poor defense with anything different. And play that Katy Perry clip to TK over and over so he will be thinkin' about those boobs instead of playin' football."

Josh: "Good idea, and I'll wait till the last second to call our predictable plays, maybe it will confuse everybody . . . , well, except their defense, they'll know what I'm going to call anyway."

Mike: "And I'll make sure we don't let anyone hurt their QB by rushing or bothering him. And we still don't know how to tackle, so they can run free whenever they want to."

. . . . .
These things only happen in bad dreams, right?

-----------------------------------------------------

Eielson
10/4/2014, 08:43 PM
Was that the play the right tackle went to block a linebacker and left the guy on the end free to bust up the play?

Is that a bad scheme or a bad missed assignment?

I rewatched it, and I'm not exactly sure what was supposed to happen. The LB came through unblocked and made the tackle. That was either a bad playcall, or it was just misblocked. I don't have an issue running it up the middle, though.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
10/4/2014, 08:44 PM
I was wondering the same.

Also wondered why Patterson went for the FG on that 4th and 1 in the fourth quarter. I had absolutely no confidence that OU could have stopped them.

Maybe he didn't want to be accused of running up the score.

BoulderSooner79
10/4/2014, 08:57 PM
I rewatched it, and I'm not exactly sure what was supposed to happen. The LB came through unblocked and made the tackle. That was either a bad playcall, or it was just misblocked. I don't have an issue running it up the middle, though.

The LB just guessed and shot the gap - basically a run blitz. Teams hesitate to do that except on the goal line because it risks a big play behind them such as a seam pass the the TE. TCU didn't really have a real reason to fear such a play.

I felt TK should have gotten the 1st down on the play before, but made a move sideways that allowed the tackler to deny him. There was a delay before the 4th down attempt and I told my wife that #32 is going to run the ball right up the middle and TCU is going to stop him short. It's hard to argue too much with the call, but with a mobile QB, I'd rather see something that puts more pressure on the defense than having to just shoot the gap. But with TK playing poorly, what do you do?

rock on sooner
10/4/2014, 09:20 PM
The LB just guessed and shot the gap - basically a run blitz. Teams hesitate to do that except on the goal line because it risks a big play behind them such as a seam pass the the TE. TCU didn't really have a real reason to fear such a play.

I felt TK should have gotten the 1st down on the play before, but made a move sideways that allowed the tackler to deny him. There was a delay before the 4th down attempt and I told my wife that #32 is going to run the ball right up the middle and TCU is going to stop him short. It's hard to argue too much with the call, but with a mobile QB, I'd rather see something that puts more pressure on the defense than having to just shoot the gap. But with TK playing poorly, what do you do?

I said something similar to my wife, such as," everybody in the ball park knows
Perine is getting the ball and running between the tackles". My wife, in all her
wisdom, tuned me out, especially with all the expletives that followed...I called
something similar to your point...put the ball in Perine's gut riding to the right
side, pull it out and go against the grain and gain anywhere from two yards to
a td..

Course, ima sitting on my couch, all knowing, all seeing, doncha know?!

Sooner8th
10/4/2014, 11:11 PM
Agree. A playoff worthy team ought to be able to get a yard even when the other team knows who's getting the ball. It's disturbing that we didn't even get a body on the guy who brought down Perine.

Not getting a body on the guy who made the tackle or put pressure on knight happened all day long.

Soonerjeepman
10/4/2014, 11:15 PM

with no lead blocker he wasn't going anywhere...the hole was there, but filled up by the tcu linebacker.

BlownGP
10/4/2014, 11:19 PM
I dont know if we could have won, but I think Ford brings another dynamic with his catching. With him he can either run or catch and defenses gotta watch him. I think Perine caught one ball but it's obviously something they don't trust him to do.

I was just surprised how both our lines were handled today....

What makes it sting more is we had TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!!!! to prepare