PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on football ticket sale decline (everywhere)

Mazeppa
10/1/2014, 08:37 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24730381/college-footballs-fight-to-keep-its-next-generation-of-fans

tycat947
10/1/2014, 09:11 PM
This is why David Boren/Joe Castiglione are not pushing expansion with the new renovations coming up. They want to continue to have a strong demand for the tickets and are focused on improving the fan experience at the game in addition to the amenities planned for the players. This is also affecting basketball and other collegiate sports as well. I don't think younger people today have as strong a feeling for collegiate sports that many of us grew up with. It will be interesting if the tide of declining attendance can be reversed or even slowed down.

olevetonahill
10/1/2014, 09:17 PM
If the schools would quit trying to suck every last dollar out of those that attend it might help.

rock on sooner
10/1/2014, 09:22 PM
If the schools would quit trying to suck every last dollar out of those that attend it might help.

Pretty much why I don't go to games now...I have my grandkids on home
games so their parents can go and nearly every game is on tv somewhere...
there is no line at my bathroom or my fridge so no biggie....one thing on
my bucket list, though, is one more game in Norman.....

olevetonahill
10/1/2014, 09:28 PM
Pretty much why I don't go to games now...I have my grandkids on home
games so their parents can go and nearly every game is on tv somewhere...
there is no line at my bathroom or my fridge so no biggie....one thing on
my bucket list, though, is one more game in Norman.....

If ya decide to do it let me know we meet up.
I went to the spring game and had to take my hat off so they could see i was sneakin in any refreshments of anykind. then they charge like 5 bucks for bottled water er some shat.

I may make one more but its doubtful

SoonerMarkVA
10/1/2014, 09:37 PM
I went to the spring game and had to take my hat off so they could see i was sneakin in any refreshments of anykind. then they charge like 5 bucks for bottled water er some shat.

It's really interesting how differently the schools do it. At WV, we were allowed to bring in bottled water and soft drinks, as long as they were in plastic and unopened, as well as unopened candy and other pre-packaged foods. They also sell beer in the stadium. It was damn nice not having to wait in that line and spend the crazy prices on concessions, although I'm not sure how the beer thing's going to work out. Seems like a lot of potential for more and bigger fights. We didn't see any problems, though.

rock on sooner
10/1/2014, 09:41 PM

I'd really like that, but don't know when, wife's health isn't tip top..
can't walk long distances on uneven ground and can't stand for
a long time...so just don't know....

8timechamps
10/1/2014, 09:47 PM
This is why David Boren/Joe Castiglione are not pushing expansion with the new renovations coming up. They want to continue to have a strong demand for the tickets and are focused on improving the fan experience at the game in addition to the amenities planned for the players. This is also affecting basketball and other collegiate sports as well. I don't think younger people today have as strong a feeling for collegiate sports that many of us grew up with. It will be interesting if the tide of declining attendance can be reversed or even slowed down.

When the plan was announced, I was happy to hear that the stadium would not be expanding capacity. I really believe Castiglione and Boren understand the current dynamics at work, and why keeping the capacity the same and enhancing the fan experience was so important.

I don't think the younger generation is less interested in collegiate sports, I think it's become much easier to view without actually (physically) attending. I use my 15 year old son as an example; he was born in Colorado and outside of my influence has no reason to ever go to a Sooner game. He's a bigger college sports fan than I ever was at his age (and a die hard Sooner to boot), and while he loves the trips to the actual games, he has so many options available now that attending a game isn't always the best option.

I don't know what the numbers sat for all sports, but I believe every sport is probably dealing with the same issue. I've been a Denver Bronco season ticket holder for almost 15 years, and I don't make it to every home game. 10 years ago, if I wasn't going to a game, I had a list of people that would always take my tickets and go. That list has dwindled over the past decade. It's not uncommon for me to offer a ticket to someone and have them say "I don't know, I may just watch it at home".

The one equation that almost always prove true is that winning=attendance. But even that doesn't guarantee a full stadium. It will be very interesting to see what the stadium upgrade involves, because it sounds like they really want to enhance the game day environment for the fans that do attend.

8timechamps
10/1/2014, 09:50 PM
It's really interesting how differently the schools do it. At WV, we were allowed to bring in bottled water and soft drinks, as long as they were in plastic and unopened, as well as unopened candy and other pre-packaged foods. They also sell beer in the stadium. It was damn nice not having to wait in that line and spend the crazy prices on concessions, although I'm not sure how the beer thing's going to work out. Seems like a lot of potential for more and bigger fights. We didn't see any problems, though.

OU can outlaw everything because they know fans will still come. It sucks, but I suppose it's a small price to pay for having a great program.

Do you (or anyone on the board) know what the policy is like in Stillwater? I'd also like to know what the policies are at places like KU and ISU, where getting fans to the games is a more difficult task.

rock on sooner
10/1/2014, 09:56 PM
OU can outlaw everything because they know fans will still come. It sucks, but I suppose it's a small price to pay for having a great program.

Do you (or anyone on the board) know what the policy is like in Stillwater? I'd also like to know what the policies are at places like KU and ISU, where getting fans to the games is a more difficult task.

ISU's capacity is just over 50k and they've been full every game since Rhoads
got there...no alcohol in the stadium, have to buy food and pop and water at
concessions...don't remember any vendors, but it's been a while since I was
there...

soonergirlNeugene
10/1/2014, 09:58 PM
I love going to games, but you always sacrifice getting to watch all the other games. Yeah I know I can dvr them, but I'm going to check the scores and once I know that, watching the games isn't always as high of a priority. Before the game - value of staying at home is high, but after not so much. I'd like to see more stuff for fans either in or around the stadium. Put some screens up with the rest of the games on. Hell, give people a place to watch and let em order a drink. Now that would be hard to beat.

birddog
10/1/2014, 10:01 PM
Speaking of fan experience, Id rather watch fans kick extra points and get a free meal at chic-fil-a than suffer through what the pride offered as entertainment. Good god what was that?

olevetonahill
10/1/2014, 10:16 PM
I'd really like that, but don't know when, wife's health isn't tip top..
can't walk long distances on uneven ground and can't stand for
a long time...so just don't know....

If ya In the stadium yer gonna STAND LOL
always catch a Pedicab if ya need to.

olevetonahill
10/1/2014, 10:19 PM
Anyone else remember back in 70s er so being able to bring in an Ice chest? Been a long time but it seems a friend and I did and we sat in what is Now the student section.

ouwasp
10/1/2014, 10:47 PM
Game times are as much an issue as anything. The number of night games makes me shrug and just watch at home vs getting a motel room or driving home at dark-thirty.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/1/2014, 11:35 PM
Game times are as much an issue as anything. The number of night games makes me shrug and just watch at home vs getting a motel room or driving home at dark-thirty.They have the night games so you can watch em on the tevee.

DMSooner
10/2/2014, 01:12 AM
Game times are as much an issue as anything. The number of night games makes me shrug and just watch at home vs getting a motel room or driving home at dark-thirty.

This, and TV has such a stranglehold on college football it's hard to plan, because they wait till so lat to announce start times. If you're are traveling from out of town, it would be nice to know if you need to stay the night sooner than 10 days in advance!

SoonerMarkVA
10/2/2014, 06:11 AM
This, and TV has such a stranglehold on college football it's hard to plan, because they wait till so lat to announce start times. If you're are traveling from out of town, it would be nice to know if you need to stay the night sooner than 10 days in advance!

Excellent point. I was just discussing with my wife whether to make the Vols trip next fall, and it's close enough that making a night game from my house is fine, but noon or 3:30 I couldn't. So I have to get a hotel for 2 nights, but if it's a night game on Saturday, we'll be hanging out all day waiting for the game. Since we won't know until a few weeks before the game which it is, we'll have to book both nights to be sure.

badger
10/2/2014, 08:49 AM
At least college football is getting off their high horse and admitting they have a problem. NFL will charge its exorbitant seat license fees and demand publicly funded billion dollar stadiums for years while still denying every problem fans have with the league.

Maybe it's because college teams can't threaten to move to Los Angeles every time taxpayers and fans balk

Jacie
10/2/2014, 09:11 AM
Anyone else remember back in 70s er so being able to bring in an Ice chest? Been a long time but it seems a friend and I did and we sat in what is Now the student section.

There was story from the early 70's that some students managed to get a pony keg in the stadium. We used to routinely bring in bottles as large as a fifth and smuggle one or more cans of beer in our pants when returning from halftime.

aj44mc
10/2/2014, 10:38 AM
Arizona State actually took out a large section of seats this season on the North Side of the stadium. It is interesting to see the changes that are being made there. I thought it was great because I have been going to games all my life and had only ever seen that seating section full once time and that was vs UofA before they went to the 97 Rosebowl. I love going to games but last year my pregnant wife and I went to the ASU wisconsin game and it was absolutely brutal. I would say it was around 105 in the stands at kickoff. Hopefully some of the renovations will help that.

Soonerjeepman
10/2/2014, 11:21 AM
I was 10/11 or 12...74/75/76 time..I BELIEVE we parked SOUTH of the stadium in a grass field. It was raining...I believe isu, I carried the little playmate cooler under my poncho for my aunts and uncles. There 3 pops on top...and beers underneath..lol. Guess they thought since I was carrying it they wouldn't check.

Sooner91ATL
10/2/2014, 11:41 AM
In 1990, can't remember which game, there was an empty coors light party ball being batted around in the student section like a beachball.

If I lived in OK I would try to attend every OU fb game possible. But I can't abide the crowds and pushing and prices and parking and general stress of major sporting events. I've sworn off of MLB games due to drunks and $25 hot dogs and cokes. I will only tolerate such impositions for my Sooners.

SoonerBorn
10/2/2014, 11:46 AM
I like to go to 1, maybe 2 games a year, but only if I can get free tickets. I have to pay for a babysitter, after all, so I can't really spend money on the tickets, too. However, it's a FULL DAY affair by the time you arrive early and finally get away. Plus, you're always either too hot or too cold - there's maybe 1 or 2 games a year where the weather is truly perfect. And nowadays you have to wonder how many of the other 80k people there have ebola. :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/2/2014, 12:20 PM
I like to go to 1, maybe 2 games a year, but only if I can get free tickets. I have to pay for a babysitter, after all, so I can't really spend money on the tickets, too. However, it's a FULL DAY affair by the time you arrive early and finally get away. Plus, you're always either too hot or too cold - there's maybe 1 or 2 games a year where the weather is truly perfect. And nowadays you have to wonder how many of the other 80K people there have Ebola. :)and so it begins...

badger
10/2/2014, 12:36 PM
As much as I love my Sooners, this is good problem for sports to have for the sake of fans. For years, you've been getting more ads blared at you, more TV timeouts, higher priced tickets and concessions, more stadium rules... the list goes on. If fans vote for their displeasure with the state of fandom, then maybe we'll get the game we love back

aurorasooner
10/2/2014, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by SoonerBorn View Post
I like to go to 1, maybe 2 games a year, but only if I can get free tickets. I have to pay for a babysitter, after all, so I can't really spend money on the tickets, too. However, it's a FULL DAY affair by the time you arrive early and finally get away. Plus, you're always either too hot or too cold - there's maybe 1 or 2 games a year where the weather is truly perfect. And nowadays you have to wonder how many of the other 80K people there have Ebola I stopped by one of the local grocers late last week to pick up some bread and milk and the checker looked and spoke like he was from Africa. I was pizzed because he couldn't even count the correct change and had to check the ticket to make sure he didn't screw up the 23 cent or so change from a bill of 3 or 4 dollars. Now I'm just glad that nobody has fever or diarrhea, and even more pizzed that I didn't use the self-service check out that night.
I'm normally hygiene conscious, washing hands after taking a leak, keeping the keyboard clean, etc, not Howard Hughes overboard, but now I'm even doing stuff like spaying my trash cans down with Lysol or a Clorox mix because those trash truck drivers use the same gloves to pick up every trash can from every residence on their routes and I seriously doubt that they spray them down between stops or their gloves are even washed weekly or for that matter if ever. My security cam picks up my trash guy when he stops, and his normally white gloves look almost totally black except for the areas that cover the wrists.
If I lived by Presby hosp in Dallas, I wouldn't even use trash cans for a month or 2, and only put out plastic trash bags.

BoulderSooner79
10/2/2014, 03:00 PM
And nowadays you have to wonder how many of the other 80K people there have Ebola.

And it's difficult to spot them. The opposing fan sitting next to you may be bleeding from the eyes from Ebola, or it may just be from watching Perine pounding his favorite team's D to a pulp. Don't share a beer with him, JIC.

aurorasooner
10/2/2014, 03:21 PM
And it's difficult to spot them. The opposing fan sitting next to you may be bleeding from the eyes from Ebola, or it may just be from watching Perine pounding his favorite team's D to a pulp. Don't share a beer with him, JIC. :highly_amused: :worked_till_5am:

8timechamps
10/2/2014, 03:24 PM
Excellent point. I was just discussing with my wife whether to make the Vols trip next fall, and it's close enough that making a night game from my house is fine, but noon or 3:30 I couldn't. So I have to get a hotel for 2 nights, but if it's a night game on Saturday, we'll be hanging out all day waiting for the game. Since we won't know until a few weeks before the game which it is, we'll have to book both nights to be sure.

That's what I ran into with my trip to Norman this year for the Tennessee game. We've always driven down on Thursday, and made the drive back on Sunday. This year was tough, because we didn't get back to the hotel until close to 1 and needed to be on the road by 7 the next morning. I love night games, but it's definitely more convenient to stay home and watch those on TV.

Mazeppa
10/3/2014, 08:43 PM

Do you (or anyone on the board) know what the policy is like in Stillwater?

You have too leave your sheep tied to a parking meter and you can't bring in your own turkey legs.