PDA

View Full Version : Question about the official time-out @ WV

oupride
9/24/2014, 08:30 AM
Why was there an official time-out for the down WV player at 12:37, 3rd Qtr? The stoppage of play was about 3 1/2 minutes. Although it did not affect the outcome, I was just wondering since the player was off the field. I was guessing it might be because the player was left lying too close to the sideline and it was maybe a safety issue?

Here's what I can see: The WV player goes down about 10 feet out of bounds on the tackle of Sterling Shepard. There is an official time out. When the game returns after the commercials, the player has been repositioned an addition 5 feet away from the sideline and play resumes shortly thereafter.

With the score tied at 24-24, I watched the Sooners drive down the field and set up a 1st and goal at the 9. The WV defense looked to be gassed. Why was play on the field stopped? Perine scored on the next play anyway. Just wondering if anyone had an explanation on the time-out given by the officials?

rock on sooner
9/24/2014, 01:41 PM
Officials were auditioning for the PAC12?

OUinFLA
9/24/2014, 03:05 PM
Commercials make money.

8timechamps
9/24/2014, 03:12 PM
^that's the correct answer.

It appeared that the next stoppage was going to be a TV timeout anyway, so they used the injury TO as the TV TO. It just seemed weird because it was at the beginning of a drive.

Sooner24
9/24/2014, 10:59 PM
Why was there an official time-out for the down WV player at 12:37, 3rd Qtr? The stoppage of play was about 3 1/2 minutes. Although it did not affect the outcome, I was just wondering since the player was off the field. I was guessing it might be because the player was left lying too close to the sideline and it was maybe a safety issue?

Here's what I can see: The WV player goes down about 10 feet out of bounds on the tackle of Sterling Shepard. There is an official time out. When the game returns after the commercials, the player has been repositioned an addition 5 feet away from the sideline and play resumes shortly thereafter.

With the score tied at 24-24, I watched the Sooners drive down the field and set up a 1st and goal at the 9. The WV defense looked to be gassed. Why was play on the field stopped? Perine scored on the next play anyway. Just wondering if anyone had an explanation on the time-out given by the officials?

Stoops was giving the ref an earful wondering why there was a delay since the player was off the field. I'm guessing it was because he was so close to the field.