PDA

View Full Version : Phillips

CatfishSooner
9/21/2014, 07:54 PM
Can anyone provide any analysis on how Jordan Phillips did against WVU? I don't remember seeing him do much, but that obviously doesn't mean he had a bad game....

CatfishSooner
9/24/2014, 06:49 PM
bump

8timechamps
9/24/2014, 07:03 PM
I'll go back and look at some of the game film, but it seems he was pretty disruptive during the game. I know he was double teamed quite a bit, but I don't know how many times or when it occurred. I'll look at the game tonight, and try to post something.

cherokeebrewer
9/24/2014, 07:14 PM
This is what Bob Stoops said at his weekly presser on Phillips back...fwiw

"It's good, but I'm glad we have a bye week … It came at a perfect time."

8timechamps
9/24/2014, 08:41 PM
Okay, so I watched every defensive play for the WVU game and came away with this:

Phillips officially recorded 2 solo tackles (but could have easily been 3)
Phillips officially recorded 2 assists (could have been 1)
Total of 4 tackles
Played a lot of contain* due to WVU film study
was substituted on almost every 3rd and 5+ situation**
Was disruptive when asked to rush.

*It was very apparent that OU had prepared for the screen game WVU likes to use, so there were a lot of times Phillips played more of a containment, until he could read the play, then pursued well.

**On almost every down (especially passing situations), WVU was in max protect (Keeping extra guys in), our coaches anticipated this and went with a pass rush package on third and 5+ yards. Phillips was substituted out for Okoronkwo.

When he was in, and WVU ran on the interior, he was almost always double teamed (and even triple teamed twice). Yet, he was able to turn the ball carrier into traffic and even make a couple of tackles.

What I was able to see was that this was a very different gameplan for Phillips. His job was to clog the middle, and keep the inside screen from working...he did an excellent job at both. He was used to rush the passer on a couple of 2nd downs, but not many. Without knowing exactly what his job was (which is impossible without being Jerry Montgomery or Mike Stoops), I'd say he was very assignment sound. If he was playing hurt, it didn't show in his game.

That said, I'm sure he's dealing with some pain. That's probably the most physical position on the field, and a good NT is going to be sore after every game, so I'm sure it just adds to his existing issues. Otherwise, I think he looked as good as expected.

SouthFortySooner
9/25/2014, 09:03 AM
I too like to watch him in particular since his statement of which he said, " I want to dominate".

When I focused my attention to the middle it was just always clogged up with no give.

The fact is they rushed the ball 40 times for only 137 yards. A good day in the middle I think.