9/20/2014, 10:06 PM
:pop:

deweydw
9/20/2014, 10:09 PM
Perine all day!!!!

SoCalBigRed
9/20/2014, 10:28 PM
Kid is BEAST mode!

Seems well-spoken and humble to. Hope he's as good as he looked tonight.

SoonerForLife92
9/20/2014, 10:32 PM
This guy's great. He's like a bowling ball

Pricetag
9/20/2014, 10:32 PM
Worked that hit stick when he needed to, and looked like a smaller back running in space. Gotta love him.

BlownGP
9/20/2014, 10:35 PM
He was great.. Were going to be good at running for a couple years..

PhiDeltBeers
9/20/2014, 10:35 PM
He's the new number 1 back.....hands down. Humble, well spoken, and smiling in the pg interview. REALLY like this guy representing OU considering all the issues in the NFL and with Winston right now.

WA. Sooner
9/20/2014, 10:37 PM
He'll get a helmet sticker

ouduckhunter
9/20/2014, 10:38 PM
Go Perine, or go home!! Fantastic game!! You rock, Perine!!!

soonergirlNeugene
9/20/2014, 10:43 PM
Perine is a man! A beast! A manbeast!
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/187/a/a/manbearpig_wallpaper_by_manbearpagan-d6c7ei3.jpg

SouthFortySooner
9/20/2014, 10:43 PM
Saw on a Texass board he is as dumb as a half brained monkey. Why he couldn't go to Alabama. He seemed well spoken and humble to me also.

PhiDeltBeers
9/20/2014, 10:46 PM
When he runs people over, he helps them up. After scoring all 4 tds in one game, he simply gave the ball back to the official. Good stuff.

okiewaker
9/20/2014, 10:47 PM
Good job Perine on punishing opposing D all night long. Paid dividends in the 2nd half.

Rogue
9/20/2014, 10:51 PM
I'm a fan.

SCOUT
9/20/2014, 11:01 PM
I absolutely love Perine. In fact, I told some of my cohoerts tht Mixon being redshirted was fine because we had Perine coming in. It caused some debate, but they are quiet about it now :)

More importantly, a running back like Perine insists that linebackers step up. Blake Bell is smiling after today.

Aries
9/20/2014, 11:02 PM
Perine is a beast-rine.

Eielson
9/20/2014, 11:08 PM
I like the Rhino. Somebody mentioned P-Rhino in the game thread.

delhalew
9/20/2014, 11:11 PM
What a badass.

SCOUT
9/20/2014, 11:11 PM
I recognize that this makes me old, but I heard that it has been used on the practice field. I really like it. "Tonka"

Tonka is a truck that kids used to play with that were made of solid metal. Tonka Trucks would never break and you could probably buy them today.

So, Tonka is a great nickname for him.

SoonerForLife92
9/20/2014, 11:13 PM
I absolutely love Perine. In fact, I told some of my cohoerts tht Mixon being redshirted was fine because we had Perine coming in. It caused some debate, but they are quiet about it now :)

More importantly, a running back like Perine insists that linebackers step up. Blake Bell is smiling after today.

Loved that they threw in the good ole Dozer.

Anyone hear when the announcers stated one of the players told the coach someone's dad was working out in the weight room, but it was Perine? Funny stuff

pac10SUX
9/20/2014, 11:14 PM
hillbilly U jus got PERINED tonight. What a beast!!

SCOUT
9/20/2014, 11:15 PM
Loved that they threw in the good ole Dozer.

Anyone hear when the announcers stated one of the players told the coach someone's dad was working out in the weight room, but it was Perine? Funny stuff

I did and I had mixed emotions. On the one had, I love it cause he is so mature. On the other hand, I thought about that basketball player who looked liked he was 40. That dude lasted about 2 months in the NBA

Therealsouthsider
9/20/2014, 11:24 PM
Saw on a Texass board he is as dumb as a half brained monkey. Why he couldn't go to Alabama. He seemed well spoken and humble to me also.

...of course you did, he's a texas kid that didn't go to uterus

ss

Soonerfan88
9/20/2014, 11:27 PM
Tremendous back and seems to also be an great person. He did a very good job in the interview.

aurorasooner
9/20/2014, 11:32 PM
LOL, at ESecPN not giving Perine a helmet sticker during halftime of the Oregon/Wazzu game. Fox must have taken a lot of the viewers from the mouse networks tonight.

hawaii 5-0
9/20/2014, 11:34 PM
He's 18.

He's a MAN !!!

5-0

PhiDeltBeers
9/20/2014, 11:38 PM
Optimus Prine.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/21/2014, 12:19 AM
so i was looking at this old video of bettis and i think i picked the wrong back

43J-4dchKCo

8:45 mark. he sure does look a lot like Reggie.

dennis580
9/21/2014, 12:46 AM
Like I said the Ford injury was a GOOD thing. Everybody mocked me when i said that, but it proved to be true.

Soonerjeepman
9/21/2014, 01:03 AM
I voted he'd be the leading rusher for the year as well, pre-ford injury.

soonergirlNeugene
9/21/2014, 01:12 AM
Optimus Prine.
http://i62.tinypic.com/ng8t8h.jpg
THIS. Make it happen, ppl!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/21/2014, 03:24 AM
I like the Rhino. Somebody mentioned P-Rhino in the game thread.This might stick...but P-REIN has a special sound as well.

9/21/2014, 03:27 AM
LOL, at ESecPN not giving Perine a helmet sticker during halftime of the Oregon/Wazzu game. Fox must have taken a lot of the viewers from the mouse networks tonight.shameful, slanted reporting on the part of ESPeNis. Par for the course.

dwarthog
9/21/2014, 04:18 AM
I heard the broadcast crew say something about him perhaps getting a helmet sticker. What's the heck is this helmet sticker stuff?

Widescreen
9/21/2014, 05:44 AM
He did get a helmet sticker at gameday final but the idiot didn't even pronounce his name correctly. Said Samaje Puh-reen twice.

vtsooner21
9/21/2014, 06:22 AM
Tougher than a woodpecker's lips!
Boomer

DCsooner22
9/21/2014, 06:57 AM
Optimus Prine.

http://i62.tinypic.com/ng8t8h.jpg
THIS. Make it happen, ppl!

Was at the game in Morgantown last night (GREAT fans and good atmosphere, by the way), and one of my friends texted me this. I hereby endorse this nickname!

Optimus Perine!!!

Kid is a beast.

Cheers
Mike

CatfishSooner
9/21/2014, 07:27 AM
Perine is legit!!!!!

Jason White's Third Knee
9/21/2014, 09:17 AM
So much to like about his performance last night, not to mention cool demeanor.

But one thing that I really liked was his death grip on the ball. When he got up he was still trying to squeeze the air out of it. Awesome.

SouthFortySooner
9/21/2014, 10:49 AM
Question: Who would like him more than you do now, if, after first down runs or TD's, as players were coming toward him to congratulate him, he stomps off away from them and pounded his chest and waved his arms and signaled a windmill firstdown and tore his helmet off and stared at the camera and etc... ???

I think we'll see a generational gap in the appreciation he shows toward the game.

cherokeebrewer
9/21/2014, 10:49 AM
I'm sold...I'm a believer. Tonka can be special when it's all said and done, but we also need a healthy Keith Ford for the rest of the conference run. And how 'bout Alex Ross on that kick return, what a game changer that was!

EatLeadCommie
9/21/2014, 11:43 AM
Great game last night, but I think Ford could've run for 300+ with some of those holes. He doesn't run over folks like Perine, but he could've had a couple breakaways last night

yankee
9/22/2014, 08:43 AM
That OL deserves an incredible amount of praise for the running lanes they were opening up. Perine was great, but the OL made him look a lot better.

Pride1Mom
9/22/2014, 08:55 AM
Cale Gundy is the recruiter for running backs. I hope OU shows him a lot of love and bonuses for the GREAT job he does with them. Perine is a delight to watch, and his interview was very good. They say he is the strongest in the weight room. The WHOLE team was marvelous Saturday night.

SoonerMarkVA
9/22/2014, 08:58 AM
I suggested Ford/Perine are going to form a 1-2 punch of "thunder and bigger-*** thunder".

Someone followed with "thunder and earthquake". I think that's a winner.

I love both Perine and Ford. I can't wait to see what those 2 do collectively to whorn.

BigTip
9/22/2014, 09:33 AM
I saw him play a game in high school. I was excited to see him because I knew we had signed him. I was disappointed after that game. I was expecting to see a "man amongst boys" type performance. But it wasn't. Man oh man, have my expectations changed now. Sooooo much fun.
Which year will he win the Heisman? (too soon? :nevreness:)

KantoSooner
9/22/2014, 10:01 AM
It's probably too late, but we could call him 'Shango' (the Yoruba god of thunder).

Tear Down This Wall
9/22/2014, 11:03 AM
Love Perine! As stated a couple of weeks ago, with Perine on board, it doesn't matter that Mixon is benched. Revised that now to Mixon is free to transfer if he expects to be the feature back.

Few players these days look like throw backs to me. But, this kid Perine, he looks like a man among boys the way Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, and Earl Campbell did back in day. And, recently, Ricky Williams.

He's got the build, for sure, like all of those guys. Power. And, he even has some moves for a kid his size; although, he won't need them much - still nice to know he has them.

EatLeadCommie
9/22/2014, 01:22 PM
Watched the game again, as well as the highlight reel posted on YouTube. Very impressed by his feet and vision. He can cut laterally as well as anybody. He doesn't have a lot of speed, but is tough to bring down. If anything, he reminds me of Jerome Bettis.

9/22/2014, 01:36 PM
ROBERT NEWHOUSE

The burly running back was drafted by the Cowboys in 1972 out of the University of Houston, where he ran for 1,757 yards as a senior, a school record that still stands.

Newhouse ran for 4,784 yards in his career with Dallas. He retired in 1983 after playing in three Super Bowls with some of the Cowboys greatest teams, including the 1976 NFL champions.

In the 1977 Super Bowl victory against Denver, Newhouse threw a 29-yard touchdown pass to Golden Richards on a halfback option to help seal the win.

Newhouse was born in Longview and went to Galilee High School in Hallsville before enrolling at Houston. All three Cougars teams he played on finished the season ranked in The Associated Press Top 20.

He was taken in the second round of the draft by Dallas. He led the Cowboys in rushing in 1975 with 930 yards, but became most well known as a fullback leading the way for future Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett, who Dallas drafted in 1977.

SoonerPride
9/22/2014, 01:37 PM
Did the first guy to touch him ever tackle him?

Ever?

It seemed to me he was always demolishing the first man in his way.

He is impressive. And then when I saw him Stoops' show with Deano, I was more impressed. Articulate. Humble. That kid should be 1st string.

As as aside, it makes me think "Mixon who?"

hawaii 5-0
9/22/2014, 02:14 PM
Superlatives come easy when describing Perine.

I love his quickness for such a big back, his ability to change holes/direction so fast.

I love that he brings contact. The O-Line is opening holes so that the first person to often touch him is a smaller safety/DB. I love to hear that crunching noise.

Probably the most I love is the kid's balance. He so good at staying on his feet after contact, using his pads and keeping tacklers away from his lower legs.

"Bob Stoops went out and got him one"

5-0

KantoSooner
9/22/2014, 02:21 PM
5-0 you are exactly right about his balance. And I think that with greater experience the balance will, if anything, improve.

Buckle up, this ride's about to get fun.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2014, 02:40 PM
Perine did get stopped cold a few times when there was no hole and he was met by a D-lineman (or 2). But if there was a real crease, he got contacted by guys that were his size or smaller and he had momentum by then. At that point, physics was wearing the alternate uniforms.

Teams will have to change their approach going forward and I suspect we won't see numbers like this going forward. But he's the real deal and if we can get a defense a little weary in the 2nd half, this is the medicine they'll be taking.

9/22/2014, 02:51 PM
physics was wearing the alternate uniforms...

haha

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/22/2014, 03:07 PM
Perine did get stopped cold a few times when there was no hole and he was met by a D-lineman (or 2). But if there was a real crease, he got contacted by guys that were his size or smaller and he had momentum by then. At that point, physics was wearing the alternate uniforms.

Teams will have to change their approach going forward and I suspect we won't see numbers like this going forward. But he's the real deal and if we can get a defense a little weary in the 2nd half, this is the medicine they'll be taking.

He mainly got stopped on short yardage plays. It is kind of counter-intuitive with his running style, but he just doesn't have that knack for finding the little creases to fall forward into like Brown did last year. As a matter of a fact, I think our best short yardage back is Ford and I wouldn't be surprised to see him break a long TD run on a 3rd/4th and 1 this year. Ross on the other hand, seems to be the best on 3rd/4th and long (11+) since he is so versatile out of the backfield.

I totally agree about the wearing out the D part. I'm not the biggest fan of huge OL and huge RBs but WVU was exhausted by the 3rd quarter and were actively trying to avoid the blunt force trauma of Perine by the 4th.

BigTip
9/22/2014, 04:27 PM

Then we'll just burn them down field. If only we had somebody that could catch a ball.

Oh wait.

We do.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2014, 04:46 PM
I totally agree about the wearing out the D part. I'm not the biggest fan of huge OL and huge RBs but WVU was exhausted by the 3rd quarter and were actively trying to avoid the blunt force trauma of Perine by the 4th.

I was more referring to the D-Linemen being tired and taking a bit longer to get off blocks. That led to running lanes and no one bigger than Perine left to make the tackle. But yeah, you could tell the back 7 were not eager to get their noses in there once they had been run over a couple of times. I would expect teams with a 4-3 scheme to hold up better, but that should open up the passing game a bit.

KantoSooner
9/22/2014, 04:55 PM
When this team is hitting on all cylinders, it's getting real close to 'choose your poison'.

BoulderSooner79
9/22/2014, 04:58 PM
When this team is hitting on all cylinders, it's getting real close to 'choose your poison'.

As it should be. Just need a WR or 2 to have that ah-ha! moment.

Eielson
9/22/2014, 05:52 PM
Y'all are unbelievable. Bo Jackson?!? Earl Campbell?!? Ricky Williams?!? Jerome Bettis?!? Don't make a mockery out of this.

You guys are seriously ready to ditch Mixon? WVU just might have the worst run defense we'll play all year, and I'm including LTech and TU in that. Don't get me wrong, Perrine had a great game, and I'm excited to see how the rest of his career unfolds. He's the same guy that had 10 carries for 33 yards against TU, though. It really wouldn't be surprising at all to see this guy as our #3 back next season. He's not Adrian Peterson.

BigTip
9/22/2014, 08:37 PM
Y'all are unbelievable. Bo Jackson?!? Earl Campbell?!? Ricky Williams?!? Jerome Bettis?!? Don't make a mockery out of this.

You guys are seriously ready to ditch Mixon? WVU just might have the worst run defense we'll play all year, and I'm including LTech and TU in that. Don't get me wrong, Perrine had a great game, and I'm excited to see how the rest of his career unfolds. He's the same guy that had 10 carries for 33 yards against TU, though. It really wouldn't be surprising at all to see this guy as our #3 back next season. He's not Adrian Peterson.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2ljBRTkkGqs/U7Ldjtlo7TI/AAAAAAAALsg/xtYu0tKNReM/s1600/DebbieDowner.png

Ah c'mon! Let us have some fun with a fun to watch performance.

8timechamps
9/22/2014, 08:49 PM

Agreed.

Perine is a good back (which we already knew), and he is probably a better all-around back than Ross, but it's a little early to dismiss Mixon. Everything I read/heard said Mixon looked head and shoulders better than any back on the roster over the summer. Perine is a solid back, as is Ford. But I still believe Mixon is the best we currently have.

With Mixon back next year, Perine very well could be our #3 next year. I'm not trying to discount the player Perine is, because he's really good. Just trying to temper some of the crazy talk.

birddog
9/23/2014, 11:43 AM
So we are relegating perine to third string next year based on mixons potential? This is some pretty silly spec considering mix hasnt taken de a live snap. On top of that, 3rd string rbs who never fumble and average 9 yds a carry may end up witt the most carries throughout a game. Not buyin into the comparisons of the greats of yore but i know what i saw and dont see the coaches tellin perine to ride pine and wait for his 4 carries after he is,the first to accomplish ad Type numbers.

Tear Down This Wall
9/23/2014, 12:58 PM
Watched the game again, as well as the highlight reel posted on YouTube. Very impressed by his feet and vision. He can cut laterally as well as anybody. He doesn't have a lot of speed, but is tough to bring down. If anything, he reminds me of Jerome Bettis.

Jerome Bettis was good. What I tried to do, though, is list backs who right from their freshman seasons ran for 800 or more yards, then continued to dominate throughout their college careers. Bettis didn't run for 800+ until his junior year and never ran for 1,000 in college. He's was a fantastic back, but I think few people put him in the class of Jackson, Campbell, Walker, and so forth.

Now, as a pro...yes, it'd be great if Perine can do what Bettis did as a pro.

But, what I'm saying is Perine has the look to me like he could go for 800+ this season and become one of those great backs people talk about for decades, regardless of team loyalty.

EatLeadCommie
9/23/2014, 01:08 PM
Jerome Bettis was good. What I tried to do, though, is list backs who right from their freshman seasons ran for 800 or more yards, then continued to dominate throughout their college careers. Bettis didn't run for 800+ until his junior year and never ran for 1,000 in college. He's was a fantastic back, but I think few people put him in the class of Jackson, Campbell, Walker, and so forth.

But, what I'm saying is Perine has the look to me like he could go for 800+ this season and become one of those great backs people talk about for decades, regardless of team loyalty.

Fair enough, but I don't think he has much in common with Jackson, Campbell, Walker, etc, in his speed. Those guys could flat out run, period. Perine isn't going to win a lot of footraces, which is why I compared him to Bettis, aka The Bus. He has the ability to wear down opposing defenses and drag tacklers, but he looks to be running about a 4.8.

As others have said, such comparisons are obviously premature in any case. It's one game in which the O-line was opening holes big enough for a literal bus to drive through.

8timechamps
9/23/2014, 02:34 PM
So we are relegating perine to third string next year based on mixons potential? This is some pretty silly spec considering mix hasnt taken de a live snap. On top of that, 3rd string rbs who never fumble and average 9 yds a carry may end up witt the most carries throughout a game. Not buyin into the comparisons of the greats of yore but i know what i saw and dont see the coaches tellin perine to ride pine and wait for his 4 carries after he is,the first to accomplish ad Type numbers.

Mixon is that good.

The coaches saw all of our backs throughout the summer, and Perine's performance was no surprise to them. They are also the one's that saw Mixon's ability, and he would have been ahead of Perine on the depth chart had he not taken himself out of consideration.

Again, I'm not trying to diminish what Perine did, but West Virginia doesn't have an elite run defense. So, I think it's worth at least keeping things in perspective.

If Ford is still out for the next game, and Perine has the kind of performance against TCU that he had against WVU, I may change my position on this. Until then, it's just one game.

KantoSooner
9/23/2014, 02:39 PM
Would it hurt anyone to accept that we've got three excellent running backs who've seen time? And Brooks and Smith are not too shabby, either. And there's Flowers. And then there's Mixon who, unless you choose to disbelieve every one of the coaches who've evaluated him, is likely to be an excellent major school Div 1 RB.
I don't get why praise for one somehow diminishes the others.

birddog
9/23/2014, 03:46 PM
Can we let mixon take a snap at This level before writing off Perine? Sure i have a softspot for samaje because his demeanor and maturity and he looks wise beyond his years. Answer This, can mix handle 34 carries in a game.? Perhaps im soured on mix because samaje is an unconventional back and someone we havent seen in years. Hes bigger, soaks up the offense and can pancake block like nobodys biz. Mix will Not be the feature back. Bob loves Perine and will have him in running downs much more frequently than mix, whom i see slipping out of the backfield for slip screens to use his speed. Mix has alot to prove

Temujin
9/23/2014, 03:47 PM
I already mentioned this a couple of games ago, but Perine reminds me of a combination of Jermaine Fazande and Jerald Moore. He attacks the LOS like Moore and has similar vision. But he's built like and runs like Fazande. I'll take that - those were very good RBs.

birddog
9/23/2014, 03:59 PM
Who does mixon remind you of? Exactly. I would Love for him to be something like Allen Patrick/ buster rhymes but i will never complain about the horses we have right now. It is so premature to cast off perine because of mixons potential.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/23/2014, 04:16 PM

If you look at the video I embedded he looks a lot like Reggie Brooks. Anyone who played in 5a at that time probably has PTSD from having to tackle the Brooks brothers at BTW and Meech Shaw at Bartlesville.

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2014, 04:25 PM
Would it hurt anyone to accept that we've got three excellent running backs who've seen time? And Brooks and Smith are not too shabby, either. And there's Flowers. And then there's Mixon who, unless you choose to disbelieve every one of the coaches who've evaluated him, is likely to be an excellent major school Div 1 RB.

Because it's a zero sum game. Keep up, Kanto.

8timechamps
9/23/2014, 04:46 PM
Can we let mixon take a snap at This level before writing off Perine? Sure i have a softspot for samaje because his demeanor and maturity and he looks wise beyond his years. Answer This, can mix handle 34 carries in a game.? Perhaps im soured on mix because samaje is an unconventional back and someone we havent seen in years. Hes bigger, soaks up the offense and can pancake block like nobodys biz. Mix will Not be the feature back. Bob loves Perine and will have him in running downs much more frequently than mix, whom i see slipping out of the backfield for slip screens to use his speed. Mix has alot to prove

I'm definitely not writing off Perine. I think he's going to be a major contributor for the next few years.

I followed Perine's recruiting pretty closely, and was surprised when he chose OU (over Bama). A big part of that was because he had a much better shot to play early here, and it's proven out for him. He's a smart young man, with an incredible work ethic. I'm also happy he's on our team!

KantoSooner
9/23/2014, 04:48 PM
That's my point: it's not.
Except of course for our opponents.
And I have little use, or pity, for them.

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2014, 04:54 PM
Perine makes himself very easy to like and it's cool when a guy has a special game like that. But I'd rather not see any of our backs getting 30+ carries as a matter of routine. Had Mixon not messed up, I didn't see him as a feature back, but as a change of pace and 3rd down specialist. I was hoping we could use him like DeMarco Murray with the ability to line up in the slot with Ford or Perine still in at RB. As we've already seen with Ford, a team must have a few viable options at RB.

KantoSooner
9/23/2014, 05:02 PM
You're assuming, of course, that Josh will call plays that involve running outside the tackles.

8timechamps
9/23/2014, 05:35 PM
Perine makes himself very easy to like and it's cool when a guy has a special game like that. But I'd rather not see any of our backs getting 30+ carries as a matter of routine. Had Mixon not messed up, I didn't see him as a feature back, but as a change of pace and 3rd down specialist. I was hoping we could use him like DeMarco Murray with the ability to line up in the slot with Ford or Perine still in at RB. As we've already seen with Ford, a team must have a few viable options at RB.

The West Virginia game was kind of a unique situation. We were missing one of the three backs that ordinarily share carries, and given Stoops tendency to go with the hot hand later in the game, the process was expedited. Unless we play with two backs in more games, I don't think we'll see another 30+ carry game from any of our guys.

Even if Mixon is as good as advertised, he's not going to be the feature back. Those days are gone. There are some teams that still use a feature back, but they are getting few and far between.

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2014, 05:40 PM
I remember Brennan Clay getting 30+ carries against KSU. By that last series, he was barely getting to the LOS he was so gassed. Of course he was at least 35lbs lighter than Perine and the O-line wasn't opening many holes by then; Clay was getting the tar knock out him on that final series.

Eielson
9/23/2014, 06:02 PM

When your praise is, "Perine had a great game! I'm excited to see what he does in the future," it doesn't.

However, when your praise is, "Perine had such a great game that Mixon might as well just leave," that does.

9/23/2014, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by KantoSooner
When your praise is, "Perine had a great game! I'm excited to see what he does in the future," it doesn't.

However, when your praise is, "Perine had such a great game that Mixon might as well just leave," that does.RUT ROH! somebody here is going to be reported to coach Bobby.

8timechamps
9/23/2014, 07:56 PM
I remember Brennan Clay getting 30+ carries against KSU. By that last series, he was barely getting to the LOS he was so gassed. Of course he was at least 35lbs lighter than Perine and the O-line wasn't opening many holes by then; Clay was getting the tar knock out him on that final series.

Clay did have over 30 carries that game, but that was after Williams was off of the team. I think that's the only way we'll see a 30+ carry game from any of our guys...if we are only rotating 2 backs.

ouhomer123
9/23/2014, 08:22 PM
I think he will get his share of carries now.

8timechamps
9/23/2014, 08:29 PM
I think he will get his share of carries now.

He was getting his share prior to WVU, he just caught fire and the coaches kept feeding him. I suspect that'll be the case again, and probably for all three of our guys.

BoulderSooner79
9/23/2014, 09:57 PM
Clay did have over 30 carries that game, but that was after Williams was off of the team. I think that's the only way we'll see a 30+ carry game from any of our guys...if we are only rotating 2 backs.

I realize that. I think both instances showed that Gundy is hesitant to play inexperienced backs and he will keep a back in there if he is having a special game. In Clay's case, they were trying to get him the 200 yards for that game, but he kept getting stopped for no gain or losing 1. I think he finally got exactly 200. In Perine case, Ross was available of course, but Perine was having what could easily be a career night. And he was doing a great job of draining the clock too. I was hoping Brooks might see a few carries, but wasn't really the right situation for a scat back at the end.

BigTip
9/24/2014, 06:53 AM
There was a good article in the Austin American Statesman today by Berry Tramel of the Daily Oklahoman:
http://newsok.com/sooners-baby-bull-gave-west-virginia-defenders-a-ride/article/5344572?custom_click=rss

He mentioned that Perine's 242 yards was more than Alabama's duo of Yeldon and Henry's 239 combined yards against the same team.

dwarthog
9/24/2014, 07:32 AM
There was a good article in the Austin American Statesman today by Berry Tramel of the Daily Oklahoman:
http://newsok.com/sooners-baby-bull-gave-west-virginia-defenders-a-ride/article/5344572?custom_click=rss

He mentioned that Perine's 242 yards was more than Alabama's duo of Yeldon and Henry's 239 combined yards against the same team.

Nice article. Thanks for posting it up.

KantoSooner
9/24/2014, 08:24 AM

However, when your praise is, "Perine had such a great game that Mixon might as well just leave," that does.

And the latter is part of the overall negativity among some on this board that baffles me. It's sometimes sold as 'realism' and an antidote to 'koolade' but to me it comes off as an attempt passive aggressively assert superiority through rote contrarianism.

Temujin
9/24/2014, 08:50 AM
And the latter is part of the overall negativity among some on this board that baffles me. It's sometimes sold as 'realism' and an antidote to 'koolade' but to me it comes off as an attempt passive aggressively assert superiority through rote contrarianism.

I think most of this stems from a certain few who read half a post and then overreach in their attempt to provide a contrary argument. For whatever reason, people like to argue on the Internet. Of the Mixon comments I saw about letting him go, at least 2 were clearly facetious. And besides that, I don't think the opinions on Mixon are because we don't want his talent here so much as thinking that we'll be okay if the publicity mob forces the team to take a harsher action on him...like cutting him altogether.

It would be nice if people were more circumspect - but that's a hefty expectation to levy on a forum full of sports fanatics. :)

KantoSooner
9/24/2014, 08:57 AM
We could try alcohol to calm everyone down a bit.

Temujin
9/24/2014, 09:00 AM
We could try alcohol to calm everyone down a bit.

LOL, speaking of which, saw this just a bit ago: Dad forces 15-year-old son to play drinking game during OU vs. Tennessee (http://newsok.com/dad-forces-15-year-old-son-to-play-drinking-game-during-ou-vs.-tennessee/article/5343587)

Yikes.

KantoSooner
9/24/2014, 09:30 AM
First we're not allowed to switch our kids anymore.
Now we can't force them to drink 'til they puke when we catch 'em sneaking alcohol.
For all I know, you're not going to be allowed to force your kids to eat the rest of the pack when you catch 'em smoking.
Is there going to be any traditional child rearing technique left?
Thanks Obama.

Temujin
9/24/2014, 10:14 AM
First we're not allowed to switch our kids anymore.
Now we can't force them to drink 'til they puke when we catch 'em sneaking alcohol.
For all I know, you're not going to be allowed to force your kids to eat the rest of the pack when you catch 'em smoking.
Is there going to be any traditional child rearing technique left?
Thanks Obama.

Yeah...well, I generally avoid topics like this. I just thought the headline was funny.

I know people like to load up on Obama, but this has nothing to do with national politics. It has everything to do with the instantaneous nature of news. The problem is that while traditional child rearing works in general, the problem is when parents go too far. I can't say for sure that this guy went too far, but the fact that the kid was unresponsive and had to be taken to the hospital gives the impression that he did. And AD switching the kid's nuts and drawing blood, that's too far. But because every idiot gets immediate updates on their phones, they're instant reaction is form a quick sweeping opinion about every parent that spanks while they're taking a dump. And because most people refuse to admit that they're ever wrong, once the opinion is out there, they HAVE to defend it at all costs. (You see that a lot around these forums, too)

The issue is escalated in an era where there is little to no privacy. With AD, the issue SHOULD be dealt with...but by the local law enforcement, doctors, etc. And since he's a public figure, it creates a public outcry that draws in millions of people, each with their own ridiculous, unsubstantiated, knee-jerk opinions. So the people that go too far ruin it for other parents because the poorly informed public at large assumes that every parent that administers physical discipline goes too far. But that's no different than any other area of life these days. Unfortunately, the people that are given the most voice are the people that lean toward sensationalist, extreme opinions. So anytime anyone does something stupid, it's going to ruin things for anyone that's remotely reasonable.

SoonerMarkVA
9/24/2014, 10:20 AM
"Thanks, Obama" is a meme.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thanks-obama

Temujin
9/24/2014, 10:28 AM
"Thanks, Obama" is a meme.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thanks-obama

LOL, gotcha. I didn't know that. I stay as far away from political opinions as I can, so sometimes I'm oblivious to stuff like that. I pick up things here and there - like I know that this board is largely conservative, and I know that conservatives generally hate Obama. But beyond that, I'm clueless about politics. And I plan to keep it that way. LOL

KantoSooner
9/24/2014, 10:49 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to disturb.

birddog
9/24/2014, 11:36 AM
LOL, speaking of which, saw this just a bit ago: Dad forces 15-year-old son to play drinking game during OU vs. Tennessee (http://newsok.com/dad-forces-15-year-old-son-to-play-drinking-game-during-ou-vs.-tennessee/article/5343587)

Yikes.
I guess it's never too early to teach our youth the importance of handling your booze and building an immunity to alcohol poisoning. Kudos Mr Tennessee man for exposing responsible adults and their shortcomings.

Widescreen
9/24/2014, 12:14 PM
I'm clueless about politics. And I plan to keep it that way. LOL

Please never vote.

Temujin
9/24/2014, 12:26 PM
Please never vote.

Don't plan to.

8timechamps
9/24/2014, 03:17 PM
I realize that. I think both instances showed that Gundy is hesitant to play inexperienced backs and he will keep a back in there if he is having a special game. In Clay's case, they were trying to get him the 200 yards for that game, but he kept getting stopped for no gain or losing 1. I think he finally got exactly 200. In Perine case, Ross was available of course, but Perine was having what could easily be a career night. And he was doing a great job of draining the clock too. I was hoping Brooks might see a few carries, but wasn't really the right situation for a scat back at the end.

You only realized it after I pointed it out! (I keed, I keed :) ).

I didn't even think about Brooks getting in there, but I think you're right. Also, the last time we had a back go for 250+ was Murray, and it was within reach for Perine. What good problems to have...

KantoSooner
9/24/2014, 04:18 PM
I remember when Dupree got 24X in the Sun Bowl (?) in about 1984.....in less than three quarters, playing with cracked ribs. My God. Had he been fully healthy, and had he stayed in, he could have rushed for 400-500 alone.

dennis580
9/24/2014, 04:35 PM
Perine makes himself very easy to like and it's cool when a guy has a special game like that. But I'd rather not see any of our backs getting 30+ carries as a matter of routine.

Man I couldn't disagree more. I LOVED see Perine getting 30+ carries. He is built to be a workhorse back. He is built to carry it 30+ times. The best thing we could do is go away from the rb by committee, and make Perine our feature back, and just pound people with him.

Eielson
9/24/2014, 04:39 PM

In their defense, they combined for only a few more carries. I would love for Perine to be comparable to Henry, though. He's the real deal. Hopefully Yeldon doesn't get hurt.

BoulderSooner79
9/24/2014, 05:55 PM
Man I couldn't disagree more. I LOVED see Perine getting 30+ carries. He is built to be a workhorse back. He is built to carry it 30+ times. The best thing we could do is go away from the rb by committee, and make Perine our feature back, and just pound people with him.

Sure, it's fun to watch and helps us fans vicariously grow hair on our chests. But backs that carry loads like that either get injured or wear down late in the season. I agree that the definition of a heavy load varies with the RB and Perine's number is going to be higher than most. I don't see 34 as a good thing week in and week out even for a big guy like Perine. Against a 3 man front like WVU's and before a bye week is fine.

BigTip
9/24/2014, 06:52 PM
For whatever reason, people like to argue on the Internet.

"I possess in my pocket a device that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. but I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

I know you've all seen that now, but it's so true, it makes me laugh.

soonergirlNeugene
9/24/2014, 11:23 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/258r09f.png

Mac94
9/26/2014, 08:20 AM
Perine was at the Hendrickson vs McNeil game last night (along with coach Bobby Jack Wright) ... he was walking around chatting with everyone, everyone was getting their pic taken with him. My kids wanted a pic with him so got a chance to chat for a few minutes with him. Great kid ... huge smile on his face the whole night ... great with all the kids that approached him. He's a talent on the field ... have never heard a bad word about him here in Pville ... and was very polite and friendly meeting face to face. The Sooners got a great one with Perine.