PDA

View Full Version : Welp, alternate unis will make their debut Saturday night

cvsooner
9/17/2014, 05:56 PM
I hope this isn't a repeat of the Texas Tech debacle a few years ago.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxxRoKHIMAAhBks.jpg

BoulderSooner79
9/17/2014, 06:04 PM
It's time for grumpy old men (who were beaten with switches as children) to complain about the alt unis.

And time for the superstitious to edit their score predictions for the game.

:tyrannosaurus:

EatLeadCommie
9/17/2014, 06:08 PM
Maybe I should be worried about an upset then.

cvsooner
9/17/2014, 06:20 PM
Stoops has confirmed.

cherokeebrewer
9/17/2014, 06:23 PM
I'm on upset alert

SCSoonerfan
9/17/2014, 06:24 PM
Stoops has confirmed.

The upset or the uniforms? :P

cvsooner
9/17/2014, 06:29 PM
The upset or the uniforms? :P

Uhhhhh....

8timechamps
9/17/2014, 06:30 PM
I was really hoping they would go with the all-white alts. I don't care what we wear as long as we get the W.

cherokeebrewer
9/17/2014, 06:34 PM
I actually like them, guess I'm not a grumpy old man. Don't want to leave the traditional brand behind tho, which we won't...

8timechamps
9/17/2014, 06:45 PM
I actually like them, guess I'm not a grumpy old man. Don't want to leave the traditional brand behind tho, which we won't...

I don't love them, but I don't hate them either. I do really like the white helmet though. I have a feeling once I see the entire team on the field with them, I'll like them a lot more....as long as we win :)

SoonerMarkVA
9/17/2014, 06:50 PM
I don't love them, but I don't hate them either. I do really like the white helmet though. I have a feeling once I see the entire team on the field with them, I'll like them a lot more....as long as we win :)

YES! That's the main thing I want to see, too. Oh, well.

BoulderSooner79
9/17/2014, 06:53 PM

Truth. I remember when the donkeys, er, Broncos switched to their current uniforms I didn't really like them. They promptly won back-to-back super bowls, and those unis were lookin' fine!

Temujin
9/17/2014, 06:54 PM

This is how I feel. I like the helmets, meh on the unis. But I'm withholding judgment overall until I see them on the field.

SoonerForLife92
9/17/2014, 06:59 PM
I agree they should have used the white heltmet with this. Not sure how I feel about the wood design helmet, or even the uniforms as a whole.

I like the design enough but I hope we don't use them too often... Then again not using them too often might keep the bad juju trend

Mazeppa
9/17/2014, 07:11 PM
Grumpy old man here (and I've felt a switch or two) I don't like them, and aren't those supposed to be knee pads and not above the knee pads? Just wondering.

cvsooner
9/17/2014, 07:15 PM
As long as the scoreboard winds up with one point more for OUr side than theirs, I don't care what they wear.

EatLeadCommie
9/17/2014, 08:07 PM
There are a lot of things I don't like about those particular uniforms, from the helmet to the collar to the shoulders.

I am more curious about the white helmet, but again the same problem exists with those unis as it relates to the collar and shoulders.

soonergirlNeugene
9/17/2014, 08:11 PM
I'd kinda like to see us in an all white look with the traditional jerseys, but I bet they debut more than that.

8timechamps
9/17/2014, 08:17 PM
Truth. I remember when the donkeys, er, Broncos switched to their current uniforms I didn't really like them. They promptly won back-to-back super bowls, and those unis were lookin' fine!

I still remember the day the Broncos announced the "new" uniform, it was all anyone talked about for a few days. I was younger then, and accepting of the "new" look, but most of the city was in revolt. Like you said, it only took one year (and winning the Super Bowl) for it to be accepted.

If we get out of Morgantown with a win, I suspect these uniforms will be widely accepted. Lose this game, and fans will never want to see them again.

BoulderSooner79
9/17/2014, 08:42 PM
I still remember the day the Broncos announced the "new" uniform, it was all anyone talked about for a few days. I was younger then, and accepting of the "new" look, but most of the city was in revolt. Like you said, it only took one year (and winning the Super Bowl) for it to be accepted.

If we get out of Morgantown with a win, I suspect these uniforms will be widely accepted. Lose this game, and fans will never want to see them again.

I was younger then too - but still old and grumpy. The old Broncos uniforms were not great in the first place, but the super bowls in the new ones sealed the deal. The super bowl experiences in the old uniforms were very painful, kind of like, er, last year! Oh sh*t!

Therealsouthsider
9/17/2014, 08:45 PM
...I gotta go cut me a switch!

ss

Eielson
9/17/2014, 08:46 PM
You could always be like the Rams. Win a super-bowl and then switch to super ugly uniforms. Then gradually improve them each year, yet never quite look as good as you do on throwback day.

delhalew
9/17/2014, 09:24 PM
So we are going to look like Indiana. Nice.
**** tradition.

bluedogok
9/17/2014, 09:53 PM
I was younger then too - but still old and grumpy. The old Broncos uniforms were not great in the first place, but the super bowls in the new ones sealed the deal. The super bowl experiences in the old uniforms were very painful, kind of like, er, last year! Oh sh*t!
Better than the original Wyoming color uniforms.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/17/2014, 09:58 PM
Last time I recall us wearing alternate unis was the Texas game last year.

That's all.

ashley
9/18/2014, 06:51 AM
I just want to know why.

salth2o
9/18/2014, 07:17 AM
I just want to know why.

$$$

The players seem to like them. I don't buy into the uniform juju.

swardboy
9/18/2014, 07:17 AM
Fugly, fugly, fugly.

Black sucks, and isn't one of our colors.

And are the cheerleaders wearing long dresses?

vtsooner21
9/18/2014, 08:23 AM
The only upset for me on Saturday will be these unis...Never cared for red pants. Kinda like rodeo clowns sans bug hanky hanging out the back pocket. A long ways from Oregon, though....
Boomer

Pride1Mom
9/18/2014, 08:50 AM
After all of the AD problems, "Bringing the Wood" is probably not a good idea now. The unis are ugly!!! I like the all white away unis.

FlatLander
9/18/2014, 09:21 AM
Just win Baby!

badger
9/18/2014, 09:49 AM
Our armpits will be the spikiest. If we forego deodorant that night perhaps all we need to do to throw off WVU is lift our pit spikes in their direction

MichiganSooner
9/18/2014, 10:12 AM
Will the band wear their alt unis?

oupride
9/18/2014, 10:44 AM
I don't understand the merit of doing this on the first conference away game. There were plenty of new variables for the team for this game, i.e. climate, venue, crowd noise, etc. I would think the logical time to premier the new jersey would have been last week in a familiar setting. Who's decision was this? Anyone know?

TXSooner
9/18/2014, 10:45 AM
I was really hoping they would go with the all-white alts. I don't care what we wear as long as we get the W.

this^

cherokeebrewer
9/18/2014, 11:11 AM
What a bunch of grumpy old men. The players love this and chose them. We'll never leave the traditional brand and the alts will only be pulled out a couple of times a year at most...

vtsooner21
9/18/2014, 11:21 AM
Yup; I thought (up 'til game time) that the Sooners would sport the alternate unis last week in front of the home crowd & the recruits at the game. Would have been pretty neat then. Not so sure about the away game, but I guess it does get the guys pumped up..
Boomer

badger
9/18/2014, 11:31 AM
Crazy thought. You know which unis we're going up against Saturday?
http://cdn.nikeblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/New-West-Virginia-Football-Uniforms-2.jpg
Those look eerily similar to what we'll wear Saturday, from the thick colored collar to the spikey numbers:
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZBvsyxnZUq-xdZsT5GgTSvlNNVxwiBu48fo5Sz6UbTsHyV6gcqA
Is this just a little clever ploy to throw WVU off?

Eielson
9/18/2014, 09:51 PM
I was really hoping they would go with the all-white

Black sucks

I see what's going on here.

SoonerBorn
9/20/2014, 07:32 AM
I'm not a fan of alternate uniforms. I can think of many times a team wearing alternate uniforms lost a game they should have won. I don't know if it's a distraction to the team or what. I just don't like them in general.

And, "bring the wood"? Am I the only one that sounds dirty to?

Jack T.
9/20/2014, 11:06 AM
I like the Oklahoma across the front. . .but I'm also a grumpy old man.

Eielson
9/20/2014, 08:19 PM
I like the jerseys. Not the pass defense, though.

Sabanball
9/20/2014, 10:09 PM
I thought I was watching Indiana play wvu. You don't mess with tradition!

soonergirlNeugene
9/20/2014, 10:28 PM
I still say a white helmet on occasion or switching back to crimson and cream instead of crimson/white is the most they should do.

BB37
9/20/2014, 10:35 PM
Someone on the game thread said these alt helmets look like Christmas ornaments, which I thought was spot-on.

ouduckhunter
9/20/2014, 10:37 PM
I'm hoping the alt unis get thrown on a couch bonfire! Boomer!!

TXSooner
9/20/2014, 10:45 PM
don't like them at all. pants look red like nebraska.

nanimonai
9/20/2014, 10:46 PM
Every once in a while is okay but I'm not a fan of them at all.

If some kid's only going to choose a school based on how jazzy their uniforms look, they can go somewhere else.

get off my lawn!

Piware
9/20/2014, 11:00 PM
If the kids like them that's okay. I just don't like them. There is only ONE Oklahoma and that's what the team should look like.

Mazeppa
9/20/2014, 11:38 PM
Well we won despite the ugly uniforms.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2014, 11:40 PM
Perine looked pretty sharp in those duds.

manateepower
9/20/2014, 11:44 PM
I personally liked them alot. Although, as I said before the shade of red made us look more like IU than OU, or maybe my eyes were just deceiving me.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2014, 11:48 PM
I personally liked them alot. Although, as I said before the shade of red made us look more like IU than OU, or maybe my eyes were just deceiving me.

I just adjusted the color on my TV ;)

delhalew
9/20/2014, 11:50 PM
Burn them. Then burn them again.

aurorasooner
9/20/2014, 11:57 PM
Well, imo. if a hot blonde girl was wearing one of those jerseys at a bar, she wouldn't get picked up until last call.

I like the Sooner traditional "all-white" road unis, though, and I personally don't GAS what we wear (as long as it's not ugly azzed orange) as long as we win.

Flagstaffsooner
9/20/2014, 11:58 PM
Red pants have to go! Nebraska, nuff said.

freshchris05
9/21/2014, 12:06 AM

Sorry we don't have a grey uni, Jeb.

tycat947
9/21/2014, 12:08 AM
It's time for grumpy old men (who were beaten with switches as children) to complain about the alt unis.

And time for the superstitious to edit their score predictions for the game.

:tyrannosaurus:

:highly_amused:

tycat947
9/21/2014, 12:11 AM
What a bunch of grumpy old men. The players love this and chose them. We'll never leave the traditional brand and the alts will only be pulled out a couple of times a year at most...

:applouse:

birddog
9/21/2014, 10:25 AM
Get a haircut, ya hippies!!

FaninAma
9/21/2014, 11:18 AM
I thought they looked great. All the rest of the family agreed. Still a fan of the traditional unis.

EatLeadCommie
9/21/2014, 12:21 PM
Yeah. Honestly, I'm not a fan of alternate unis but they looked better than I thought they would

Sooner91ATL
9/21/2014, 01:00 PM
I enjoyed the unis.

Pros: actually crimson and cream. unique number font. Oklahoma on front. some historical acknowledgement of Oklahoma traditions (the state). developed with player input. I do like the big OU on the helmet. Didn't think I would.

Cons: stripes on the sides of the pants look truncated and out of place. Not a huge fan of helmet shininess.

I bet an "all cream" look, including the helmet, would look fantastic. I hope we also get to see an "all crimson" look but with the cream helmet.

Eielson
9/21/2014, 01:40 PM
Those jerseys were pretty sweet. I'll be pissed if we use the home alternates, but there really isn't anything that special about our all-whites.

ashley
9/22/2014, 06:23 AM
The stripes on the pants were awful.

BigTip
9/22/2014, 09:42 AM
I don't understand why a team like OU, steeped in tradition, needs to do this sort of thing. I think I read somewhere before that the OU helmet is one of the most recognized things in sports. Let the johnny come latelys like Oregon do this monkeying around with uniforms to get recruits. We shouldn't have to. I think tradition would go along way with recruits.

Soonerwake
9/22/2014, 10:46 AM
I don't understand why a team like OU, steeped in tradition, needs to do this sort of thing. I think I read somewhere before that the OU helmet is one of the most recognized things in sports. Let the johnny come latelys like Oregon do this monkeying around with uniforms to get recruits. We shouldn't have to. I think tradition would go along way with recruits.

I agree and disagree. As long as it's done sparingly, and not every week I'm OK with it.

And, I think our road white are the best looking uniform in the entire country. I would rather us do this "alternate" stuff at home and not on the road.

Pride1Mom
9/22/2014, 10:50 AM
It is a society thing. Adults trying to get a child's approval!

jkjsooner
9/25/2014, 10:27 AM

I saw a similar comment on a WVU board. I don't get it. Indiana's uniforms look almost identical to our normal uniforms. I'm not sure how the alternate uniforms would remind anyone of Indiana more than our traditional uniforms.

By the way, Indiana's uniforms have not always looked so similar to our's. I'm convinced they changed them a few years ago to piggy back on our tradition.

Edit: I see Indiana has had some crazy alternate uniforms. Maybe that was the point...

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/975/631/6_631975.jpg

jkjsooner
9/25/2014, 10:36 AM
Red pants have to go! Nebraska, nuff said.

Players wanting red pants is nothing new. When I was in school in the early '90s there was a push by players to have red pants. As much as I hate to admit it that was a generation ago...

Pride1Mom
9/25/2014, 10:58 AM
I just watched the game again, and I still do not like the new unis. The double stripe down the leg, the wood print on the shoulders and helmets, UGH! BUT I LOVED THE ENERGY OF THE TEAM!!!!

King Crimson
9/25/2014, 01:32 PM
i thought they looked like the baseball home unis. didn't love them, but better than the Nike Combat garbage. sort of.

not seeing the white facemask was strange.

badger
9/25/2014, 03:18 PM
The team looked good in victory; much better than those past alternate uni defeats. :D

I loved the chrome facemasks. I could do without the armpit spikes.

8timechamps
9/25/2014, 04:23 PM
I was not a fan of those alts going into the game, and the first 5 or 10 minutes felt really strange (almost like I wasn't watching my team play). After a while, that became a non-issue and I actually started to like them. By the end of the game, I really liked them. So, for me anyway, seeing them on the field made a big difference in how I feel/felt.

AGAIN, FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE REASONING BEHIND THESE UNIFORMS: It's two fold:

1. Money - everyone likes money, and with a new uniform comes the ability to sell more merchandise. That's not a new formula.

2. (more importantly) - Recruiting. Whether you like it, or not, the younger generation likes alternate uniforms. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. It creates energy/excitement among recruits and players alike. If you have any doubt in what I'm saying, go back and re-watch the unveiling video.

It is a society thing. Adults trying to get a child's approval!

It's about getting approval/interest from 17/18 year old recruits. If you are interested in OU continuing to bring in elite talent to preform on Saturday's, then you need to come to grips with why this was done. You don't have to like it, but you should at least understand the process.

8timechamps
9/25/2014, 04:26 PM
I saw a similar comment on a WVU board. I don't get it. Indiana's uniforms look almost identical to our normal uniforms. I'm not sure how the alternate uniforms would remind anyone of Indiana more than our traditional uniforms.

By the way, Indiana's uniforms have not always looked so similar to our's. I'm convinced they changed them a few years ago to piggy back on our tradition.

Edit: I see Indiana has had some crazy alternate uniforms. Maybe that was the point...

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/975/631/6_631975.jpg

THANK YOU!

Indiana has been trying to look like OU for years. They changed a lot about their uniforms in the past few decades so that it would more closely resemble ours. Adidas went out of their way to provide a toned-down template for Indiana, when all of their other schools were being outfitted with 'new' looks.

Personally, I was happy to see Indiana's new alternate jerseys and helmets...not because I think they look good, but because it makes them look less like OU.