PDA

View Full Version : WVU Might Be For Real

Eielson
9/13/2014, 12:03 PM
21-3 against Maryland, and we're barely into the second quarter. Trickett is looking good, and Kevin White looks like he might bump Shepard, Lockett, or one of the BU receivers off of All Big XII first team.

achiro
9/13/2014, 12:12 PM
I'm not seeing this one on tv anywhere?

Tiptonsooner
9/13/2014, 12:16 PM
Big 10 Network

610 DirectTV

Eielson
9/13/2014, 12:28 PM
I'm not seeing this one on tv anywhere?

I'd encourage you to have some kind of anti-virus software:

http://goatd.net/88500/watch-west-virginia-vs-maryland

Eielson
9/13/2014, 12:31 PM
And by "for real," I mean that it's going to be a rough trip to Morgantown, and they'll go bowling. I don't think they have much of a chance at winning the Big XII.

Eielson
9/13/2014, 12:34 PM
Oh man, I might regret this thread title. WVU is trying to throw this away. 28-6 lead is now 28-20 after a 77 yard pass and now a punt return. The Maryland PR fair catched, but the WVU got ran him over and the ball bounced off of him. Another Maryland guy picks up the bouncing ball and runs it back for like 60 yards while everybody on WVU relaxed.

EatLeadCommie
9/13/2014, 01:04 PM
Maryland is horrible, guys. This game is akin to TT and Arky. Two horrible teams playing a meaningless game.

Eielson
9/13/2014, 01:08 PM
Maryland is horrible, guys. This game is akin to TT and Arky. Two horrible teams playing a meaningless game.

It's the same "horrible" program that beat them 37-0 in Morgantown last year. Going on the road and beating a team of Maryland's stature is meaningful. I'm not that impressed with 28-20, but 28-6 was impressive. Also, Alabama isn't horrible.

EatLeadCommie
9/13/2014, 02:07 PM
and that 37-0 loss in Morgantown was shameful. UM only won 3 games in the ACC last year.

soonergirlNeugene
9/13/2014, 10:58 PM
Outside of Texsa, the B12 came out looking great tonight.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2014, 11:28 PM

TTech was favored today, but got run over by Arkansas. KU did what was expected of them :D

soonergirlNeugene
9/13/2014, 11:52 PM
TTech was favored today, but got run over by Arkansas. KU did what was expected of them :D

As long as we beat them in Lubbock..

I just can't stand Kingsbury. He's a tampon.

aurorasooner
9/14/2014, 01:07 AM
Well, we've pretty much showed nothing to WVU on the offensive side of the ball thru the 1st 3 games. I don't think we're going to have that luxury when we go to Dallas though.
I had the UCLA/Whorns game on one of the smaller monitors and it looked like they lost another OL (or maybe DL-- they were carting him off to the Jerry World locker room) I didn't notice if carted-off whorn returned though.

Sooner91ATL
9/14/2014, 02:04 AM
This will be the first Big 12 spread test for our defense, and playing on the road is never easy in conference play (though Knight seems to thrive in hostile stadiums). A comfortable win in Morgantown would be impressive, and not a gimme. I expect our defense to discover some areas of needed improvement, and our offense to put up a lot of points. We'll get that comfortable win.

Eielson
9/14/2014, 02:08 AM
WVU doesn't play great defense, and makes some dumb mistakes, so I expect we'll get out of Morgantown with a W. They're starting to look like the team I expected when Holgersen take over, though, and I'm concerned about covering Smith.

Flying Scotsman
9/14/2014, 09:53 AM
Trap game....

EatLeadCommie
9/14/2014, 10:13 AM

Not really. KU stomped by Duke. TT stomped at home by Arky. Texas lost to an obviously overrated UCLA team. OU, WVU, and ISU won. None of those results, short of maybe ISU, was unexpected. Given that the Big 10 is now 1-10 against the power conferences, the wins for WVU and ISU don't exactly boost our standings.

Taco Tech is horrible. Might be the worst team they've had there since the Jerry Moore years.

BoulderSooner79
9/14/2014, 11:02 AM
Not really. KU stomped by Duke. TT stomped at home by Arky. Texas lost to an obviously overrated UCLA team. OU, WVU, and ISU won. None of those results, short of maybe ISU, was unexpected. Given that the Big 10 is now 1-10 against the power conferences, the wins for WVU and ISU don't exactly boost our standings.

Taco Tech is horrible. Might be the worst team they've had there since the Jerry Moore years.

The only big12 teams that we need to look strong is OU and Baylor. It would be nice if some combination of KSU,OSU,WVU,UT,TCU look respectable and I trust that will be the case.

Sabanball
9/14/2014, 01:58 PM
No worries. Your guys should throttle wvu.

bluedogok
9/14/2014, 02:33 PM
I expected Tech to get run around, over and through by Arkansas. They have about the most undisciplined defense that I have seen in a long time, they just completely run themselves out of plays and rushing lanes on almost every play.

soonergirlNeugene
9/14/2014, 05:39 PM
Since their performance in week 1, I've been more concerned about this game than Tennessee.

pb4ou
9/14/2014, 06:34 PM
Well, we've pretty much showed nothing to WVU on the offensive side of the ball thru the 1st 3 games. I don't think we're going to have that luxury when we go to Dallas though.
I had the UCLA/Whorns game on one of the smaller monitors and it looked like they lost another OL (or maybe DL-- they were carting him off to the Jerry World locker room) I didn't notice if carted-off whorn returned though.

yeah, I was there working security. I moved the barrier so the emt driver could go out to the field. About five minutes later he passed by with him. Then another 10-15 minutes, he went by on a golf cart. I don't think he returned. Looked like a foot or ankle injury.

Eielson
9/20/2014, 08:23 PM
Yeah. I think they might be for real.

PhiDeltBeers
9/20/2014, 10:38 PM
WVU has a pretty solid team. Best 2 loss team in the country for sure. :)

Wishboned
9/20/2014, 10:43 PM
West Virginia is going to be one of those schools that's a pain in the *** every season. Going to Morgantown is going to be a battle every time. They're some scrappy bastards.

BlownGP
9/20/2014, 10:48 PM
Well we beat them good tonight but barley won last year and the year before that. So you be the judge...

With that said, there not a bad team and I knew if we stuck to the run. They would fold...

Piware
9/20/2014, 10:48 PM
That was a little scary.

aurorasooner
9/20/2014, 10:52 PM
Well we beat them good tonight but barley won last year and the year before that. So you be the judge...

With that said, there not a bad team and I knew if we stuck to the run. They would fold...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gametracker/teamstats/NCAAF_20140920_OKLA@WVU

We had 514 to yards but W Va had 511 total yards, and ran 87 plays to our 82. We had over 300 yards rushing though. They had 374 yards passing. I think this offers a teaching moment in the off week for our D. Both teams had over a hundred yards in penalties. Outside of Samje, F'ugly game. But a Win is ..........

Eielson
9/20/2014, 10:55 PM
Well we beat them good tonight

Not really.

Jacie
9/20/2014, 11:00 PM
Everyone was picking WVU to upset OU. Sooners come away with a double-digit win, I'd say Oklahoma "beat them good tonight."

soonergirlNeugene
9/20/2014, 11:02 PM
After that game I care more about beating them than how good it was.

Dallas
9/20/2014, 11:03 PM
That was a little scary.

It was exhausting was what it was. :nevreness: Fun as hell though. I love that atmosphere in Morgantown. One of my best buddies married a huge WVU alum and moved back there (sorry Rich) and they go to the game every year. He just sits in the stands and smiles after the win. He says it is one hell of a place to go to a football game. That place is ROCKIN when Oklahoma comes to play.

Great game tonight.

Dallas
9/20/2014, 11:05 PM
Everyone was picking WVU to upset OU. Sooners come away with a double-digit win, I'd say Oklahoma "beat them good tonight."

Facebook Oklahoma nation was OFFENDED tonight after people started picking Oklahoma to lose. I am glad they put it to them on the ground for the whole nation to see.

Eielson
9/20/2014, 11:06 PM

We had a great second half, but 45-33 is no beatdown. It was 31-27 over 40 minutes into the game, and we got outplayed for the first half.

BlownGP
9/20/2014, 11:31 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/gametracker/teamstats/NCAAF_20140920_OKLA@WVU

We had 514 to yards but W Va had 511 total yards, and ran 87 plays to our 82. We had over 300 yards rushing though. They had 374 yards passing. I think this offers a teaching moment in the off week for our D. Both teams had over a hundred yards in penalties. Outside of Samje, F'ugly game. But a Win is ..........

Who cares about the Stats.. Trickett through for 365 against bama..Almost 400 total..
We werent going to stop them and it would be tough to get to Trickett since he gets rid of the ball quick. Putting a secondary in coverage longer and with a hurt sanchez it cost some TDs..

I will agree the penalties that gave them a TD was BS though... I was pissed about that..

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2014, 11:32 PM
We had a great second half, but 45-33 is no beatdown. It was 31-27 over 40 minutes into the game, and we got outplayed for the first half.

I disagree - the 24-24 tie was not deceptive - it was evenly played in the first half. Special teams is just as much part of the game as offense and defense. We throttled them in the 2nd half and only gave up 3 points while the outcome was still in doubt. That last TD was garbage time and the guys clearly let up the intensity.

Comparing common opponents, we compared very well to how 'Bama played them. And we played them in their house vs. a neutral field. Bama needed WVU to drop several passes at critical times and I can only remember 1 drop against us. Both teams eventually won by pounding it on the ground, but I felt OU was in more control of the game than Bama was down the stretch.

Mazeppa
9/20/2014, 11:36 PM
WVU has a pretty solid team. Best 2 loss team in the country for sure. :)

Not by a long shot. Same ol WVU.

soonergirlNeugene
9/20/2014, 11:36 PM
So who do you think was the tougher matchup? Tennessee or West Virginny? I'm having a hard time making up my mind. Being fairly drunk has not helped w/ that.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2014, 11:39 PM
So who do you think was the tougher matchup? Tennessee or West Virginny? I'm having a hard time making up my mind. Being fairly drunk has not helped w/ that.

I'd say WVU because of their dangerous skill players. You can outplay them 9/10 plays and that 1 play might go for 6. We could not have run like that against the Vols, but they were lucky to get 10 points against our D.

BlownGP
9/20/2014, 11:41 PM
I disagree - the 24-24 tie was not deceptive - it was evenly played in the first half. Special teams is just as much part of the game as offense and defense. We throttled them in the 2nd half and only gave up 3 points while the outcome was still in doubt. That last TD was garbage time and the guys clearly let up the intensity.

Agree that last TD was on some prevent D...Either way good game

soonergirlNeugene
9/20/2014, 11:42 PM
I'd say WVU because of their dangerous skill players. You can outplay them 9/10 plays and that 1 play might go for 6. We could not have run like that against the Vols, but they were lucky to get 10 points against our D.

Sounds about right. I don't think I'd recognize Tennessee's Worley w/o Striker sitting on his chest, but it sure seemed like WV was able to keep him contained for the most part.

aurorasooner
9/20/2014, 11:46 PM
W VA, but that was at their place. Tennessee next year at their place could be a tough game, but they'll be breaking in a new QB.

That's what I like about college FB. Just look at the Oregon/Wash St game tonight. W. State hasn't looked worth a chite this year, yet they're playing tough tonight.

BoulderSooner79
9/20/2014, 11:46 PM
Sounds about right. I don't think I'd recognize Tennessee's Worley w/o Striker sitting on his chest, but it sure seemed like WV was able to keep him contained for the most part.

Striker was still very active. Amazing, be got credit for his 1st full sack of the year and had the second one negated from Obo lining up offsides. Made some very good tackles too.

BlownGP
9/20/2014, 11:50 PM

Agree again. I think Tennessee has a better defense overall. We just played into WV hands the first half by throwing it. Love TK but he's no Bradford or Jones and we only have ONE proven receiver.

We had to stick to the running game to win and we did...

Eielson
9/21/2014, 12:30 AM

When WVU kicked it 5 yards deep in the endzone, Ross usually didn't return it. To me, that seems like an admission that returning it more than 25 yards is pretty unlikely. Otherwise, it's just a bad decision on our part. Trickett was really having his way with us for a while there, and if we had just skipped halftime, I was starting to wonder if we'd ever stop them. We answered fairly well most of the time, but that's the issue. We answered, and they were setting the tone. We also had to pull out a trick play just to score a 4 yard touchdown. I'm not saying they dominated us, and I felt like we'd still win, but I definitely felt out played. At the very least, we were outplayed for the first 28:40. We didn't have any breathing room until 44 minutes into the game, and we didn't seal it until 55:30. While I don't think they would have scored had Obo lined up onside, they still drove the ball down the field and scored on us. It wasn't luck (the penalty was, but not the other 70 yards), so I'm not willing to discount it entirely. I guess it comes down to what you mean by "beat them good." It was a solid win, and we definitely deserved it, but it wasn't a beatdown. Not even close by Oklahoma standards.

I still stand by everything I said in this thread (we could have trouble in Morgantown, but will probably still come out with the W, WVU is going bowling, WE'LL HAVE TROUBLE GUARDING SMITH)

Comparing common opponents, we compared very well to how 'Bama played them. And we played them in their house vs. a neutral field. Bama needed WVU to drop several passes at critical times and I can only remember 1 drop against us. Both teams eventually won by pounding it on the ground, but I felt OU was in more control of the game than Bama was down the stretch.

Agreed. If we're both 1-loss at the end of the season, though, I don't know that we made enough of a statement in this game to make a difference in the playoff picture. If we win out, though, none of this matters.

Eielson
9/21/2014, 12:32 AM
Striker was still very active. Amazing, be got credit for his 1st full sack of the year and had the second one negated from Obo lining up offsides. Made some very good tackles too.

Amazingly, if he hadn't torn up Alabama (dream on Kouandjio and McCarron), Striker would be sitting at 5 career sacks. Really makes you question how good of a statistic sacks really is.

BoulderSooner79
9/21/2014, 01:39 AM
When WVU kicked it 5 yards deep in the endzone, Ross usually didn't return it. To me, that seems like an admission that returning it more than 25 yards is pretty unlikely. Otherwise, it's just a bad decision on our part. Trickett was really having his way with us for a while there, and if we had just skipped halftime, I was starting to wonder if we'd ever stop them. We answered fairly well most of the time, but that's the issue. We answered, and they were setting the tone. We also had to pull out a trick play just to score a 4 yard touchdown. I'm not saying they dominated us, and I felt like we'd still win, but I definitely felt out played. At the very least, we were outplayed for the first 28:40. We didn't have any breathing room until 44 minutes into the game, and we didn't seal it until 55:30. While I don't think they would have scored had Obo lined up onside, they still drove the ball down the field and scored on us. It wasn't luck (the penalty was, but not the other 70 yards), so I'm not willing to discount it entirely. I guess it comes down to what you mean by "beat them good." It was a solid win, and we definitely deserved it, but it wasn't a beatdown. Not even close by Oklahoma standards.

I still stand by everything I said in this thread (we could have trouble in Morgantown, but will probably still come out with the W, WVU is going bowling, WE'LL HAVE TROUBLE GUARDING SMITH)

Agreed. If we're both 1-loss at the end of the season, though, I don't know that we made enough of a statement in this game to make a difference in the playoff picture. If we win out, though, none of this matters.

I never said it was a beat down, someone else did. But I think it was a dominate win. I don't get your point about Ross and the 5 yards. I just watched the replay and it was about 2 yards deep, but that's not the whole story. It matters how far the coverage is down field and how the blocking is setup. Also, with 1:20 left in the half, you want the guy to return it more aggressively. If he only gets to the 20 it's not a big deal to lose a few yards and a few seconds compared to the chance for a big return. You need field position and a touchback is unlikely to yield points with only 1:20 left in the half. But looking at the game from a high level, it's pretty common for a lesser team to stay with the better team for a half of play. It's really hard to put a good team away. A good team plays 60 minutes, they make plays on offense, defense and special team and they make adjustments to shut down what's working (especially halftime adjustments). OUr guys did all of those things. As far as that garbage TD, WVU had clearly thrown in the towel. They were running the ball and throwing short and not trying to score quickly to get back in the game. At that point, it wisest to just let them do it since you don't care who has the ball as long as the clock is running - just don't let them hit a big play. But on top of that, some of our guys were just standing around and not hustling anymore. The score really didn't bother me, I was just bummed Striker didn't get his sack recorded as he played a great game.

Agreed there won't be much perceived difference between this game and Bama's game against WVU - they look very similar from a distance.

Okie35
9/21/2014, 07:01 AM
They are a legit team and I'm glad that game is over with.

Okie35
9/21/2014, 07:04 AM
I never said it was a beat down, someone else did. But I think it was a dominate win. I don't get your point about Ross and the 5 yards. I just watched the replay and it was about 2 yards deep, but that's not the whole story. It matters how far the coverage is down field and how the blocking is setup. Also, with 1:20 left in the half, you want the guy to return it more aggressively. If he only gets to the 20 it's not a big deal to lose a few yards and a few seconds compared to the chance for a big return. You need field position and a touchback is unlikely to yield points with only 1:20 left in the half. But looking at the game from a high level, it's pretty common for a lesser team to stay with the better team for a half of play. It's really hard to put a good team away. A good team plays 60 minutes, they make plays on offense, defense and special team and they make adjustments to shut down what's working (especially halftime adjustments). OUr guys did all of those things. As far as that garbage TD, WVU had clearly thrown in the towel. They were running the ball and throwing short and not trying to score quickly to get back in the game. At that point, it wisest to just let them do it since you don't care who has the ball as long as the clock is running - just don't let them hit a big play. But on top of that, some of our guys were just standing around and not hustling anymore. The score really didn't bother me, I was just bummed Striker didn't get his sack recorded as he played a great game.

Agreed there won't be much perceived difference between this game and Bama's game against WVU - they look very similar from a distance.

I think Alabama would've lost @ West Virginia. Especially if they had their same game plan without running the ball in the 1st half.

CatfishSooner
9/21/2014, 07:32 AM
WV is pretty darn good! they'll win some games this year...

PhiDeltBeers
9/21/2014, 09:13 AM
I think WVU is deserving of a top 25 spot. Playing OU and Bama as well as they did speaks volumes for them. Going to be interesting to watch them host Baylor on Oct 18.

oupride
9/21/2014, 10:31 AM
I think WVU is deserving of a top 25 spot. Playing OU and Bama as well as they did speaks volumes for them. Going to be interesting to watch them host Baylor on Oct 18.

Baylor is expected to be undefeated when they play Oklahoma on Nov. 8. To accomplish that, the Bears will also go through Morgantown, WV, Oct. 18.

soonergirlNeugene
9/21/2014, 05:20 PM
Baylor is expected to be undefeated when they play Oklahoma on Nov. 8. To accomplish that, the Bears will also go through Morgantown, WV, Oct. 18.

I think they will. Baylor looks to be at least as legit as they were last year. It's almost like they've switched places with Texas.

Eielson
9/21/2014, 11:24 PM
I think they will. Baylor looks to be at least as legit as they were last year. It's almost like they've switched places with Texas.

I'm cool with that. Just as long as we're still OU and can win 5 in a row.