PDA

View Full Version : Message from a Tennessee Fan

Tennessee Alumnus
9/11/2014, 04:30 PM
Hi Sooners. Once upon a time, I telecommuted from Tennessee to a firm out in the Oklahoma City area and really enjoyed my relationships with the many Sooner alumni in the company---not a bad apple anywhere in the bunch.

I have seen the various game score predictions in one of the threads below this one and saw only one prediction that looked credible:

Oklahoma 77 Tennessee 0

Why is that? Everyone knows that Oklahoma has an outstanding football team and a well-deserved national ranking of No. 4. I will in no way dispute that because it is simply true. However, the principal thing Oklahoma fans need to understand is that the Sooners will not win Saturday night because the Oklahoma team is so great. Greatness in football is not a factor in this game. It would be if you were playing Oregon or Ohio State---but not in this particular case. The simple fact of the matter in this case is that the Sooner football team will win no matter how great or poor it is, no matter what it does on the field, and even if the team has a bad biorhythms day and does not show up at the stadium until halftime. This Tennessee football team is quite probably not very good at all against any stiff competition. I have some honest personal opinions about this that Sooner fans need to hear and understand:

1) Justin Worley and his two backup QBs are quite likely the worst three quarterbacks in Tennessee history. Worley is not the No. 1 QB because of exceptional talent. He is No. 1 because he is the lesser of three evils. All three of these QBs were acquired when the once great Tennessee football team had literally lost all of its edge and had reached the bottom of its barrel during this slump we have been in for the past 8 years or so. I do not think they were acquired because they are what our coaching staff really wanted during recruiting. They were acquired because they were simply all we could get during recruiting. You know---the potato chip crumbles that are always at the very bottom of every bag.

Worley appeared to be fairly good in his first two games this year, but that was misleading―only because we had two cream-puff teams for competition. Worley often looks decent when he does not have to play a team with real talent and experience. But, in my opinion, here are the key problems with Worley’s play:

A) He is not very good at throwing the long ball downfield---even when not being pressured by a pass rush---cannot hit the broad side of the proverbial barn. You will probably see that on Saturday evening.

B) Worley falls apart and loses nearly all ability to hit even short passes at the first sign of a credible pass rush from the opposition. It takes almost nothing---literally almost nothing---to “panic” and “pansy” this guy out. I have seen it so very often---almost every game against a fairly decent opponent. Just remember on Saturday night---first sign of even a minimally credible pass rush by OU---and Worley will be down for the 10 count almost immediately and for the rest of the game. On Saturday night, you will be asking the question: “How did an SEC team ever get a QB like Worley”?

C) The other two quarterbacks appear to have never left high school in terms of growth in the game. I know that might sound hard to believe for an SEC team. The word “terrible” does not do justice to the poor quality of their play last year.

Add to this misery:

2) Our running backs are not very good. Jalen Hurd appears to be a high-quality recruit at this position, but he is really just learning how to play college ball as a freshman. Our other more experienced running back is unable to run without a large hole made by the offensive line. He is not a punishing runner. He is not a human bowling bowl like Jamal Lewis was. He is a classic, mediocre, 50 yard per game running back---plain and simple. Even if OU were not a great team on defense, these two guys would have significant trouble running against it---and especially so with our inexperienced O-line.

3) We have a new place kicker who literally cannot hit the broad side of the proverbial barn. He is at least 50 percent inept, which is a historical rarity for Tennessee at this position.

4) Our special teams---like on kickoff and punt---are very weak and have little credible depth.

5) Some key receivers are banged up and hurt---may not play.

So, while I would never recommend that any team relax against an incompetent opponent, OU needs to understand that this Tennessee team is not an SEC football team in the sense that one usually thinks of SEC football teams. It is not even a Tennessee football team---except in name and tradition. I would say good luck to OU to be a sporting person about this game, but OU will not really need any luck. Suit-up and helmet-up half of your team with cheerleaders, and you would still beat this Tennessee football team. That is the real bottom line for Saturday evening.

Now, on past occasions when I have given my honest opinion like this, I get responses like, “Screw you man. You are a traitor to your team.” I suppose that means that I should ignore the facts as I see them and believe the fantasy that they are the greatest college football team on Earth simply because they are MY TEAM. Tennessee fans are about reality rather than fantasy. You will understand what I have said here late on Saturday night. We are hoping to recruit our way out of this mess over the next few years. :nevreness:

badger
9/11/2014, 04:33 PM
Oklahoma 77 Tennessee 0

You guys hire Dennis Franchione as your head coach? :P

Thx for visiting. Sorry that we couldn't keep the Aggies and Misery Tigers out of your conference. Please knock them down a notch on Nov. 22 and... oh wait you don't play everyone else like we do in-conference hehe. Well, make the SEC championship game after we beat you and then beat them there I guess?

cvsooner
9/11/2014, 04:47 PM
Smells like a trap to me.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/11/2014, 04:49 PM
Welcome Tennessee Alumnus! Thank you for acknowledging my score prediction! It really was just a shout out to a previous score we had against the aggies back in early 2000's. Anyway, you do have a young but talented team and though this season may be tough to watch, the Vols have a very bright future. There are many Sooners including myself looking forward to the return trip to Knoxville next year and hope you are making the trek to Norman.

bmjlr
9/11/2014, 04:51 PM

THIS ^^^^^^

KantoSooner
9/11/2014, 04:55 PM
In the spirit of polite friendliness, I'll take all that at face value and say that we remember the 1990's like a bad case of the clap. Take your pills; hopefully it gets better.

swardboy
9/11/2014, 05:03 PM
Thanks for VOLUNTEERING that information.

Miss Phat Phil yet?

cherokeebrewer
9/11/2014, 05:13 PM
I aint fallin' for it, but one thing is certain...Worley will feel the pressure. Here's to an injury free game!

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 05:30 PM

Exactly. But sorry, Tennessee Alumanus - no OU coaches or players visit this board even though the OC could learn a thing or 2 about play calling from all the experts that post here. So the trap won't work.

Besides, the biggest reason your boys wil fail is because you are not bringing the band to play Rocky Top. WTF!?

TXSooner
9/11/2014, 05:38 PM

yep, they're still SEC athletes and better competition than what we've seen. i want OUr team focused and playing with a chip on their shoulder.

SoonerMarkVA
9/11/2014, 06:23 PM
Gracious post, if quite a bit more self-deprecating than it should be. I suspect your guys will put up considerably better of a performance than you indicate. And even if you're right, no way Stoops will let the score get to 77-0. That was a special reserve batch cooked up for Aggie only :) (and even then he took mercy as anyone who watched it knew it could have easily sailed over 100 on inertia alone).

UT will always hold a special place in Sooner hearts because of 1985. And I personally think the Sooners and the Volunteers are the two most distinctive, unique team names in college football. True originals, and likely never repeated.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 06:33 PM
Totally agree that OU fans will feel gratitude for the Vols forever for 1986 Sugar Bowl ('85 season). Not just for elevating the Orange Bowl to MNC status, but for stomping a mud hole into the most deserving, and arrogant team of the decade. I savored that game.

EDIT: passage from the Sugar Bowl website on the '86 game:

The Tennessee captains were ignored when they put out their hands for the traditional hand shake at the coin toss. "They just looked the other way," White said. Running back Jeff Powell snorted, "They were very cocky. I don't think they respected Tennessee. All this week, Coach (Jimmy) Johnson was talking about the Orange Bowl and who's going to win, and that they should be national champions because they beat Oklahoma. They should have paid attention to Tennessee."

Statalyzer
9/11/2014, 07:57 PM
This makes no sense. Tennessee is in the SEC. And I've been repeatedly assured that that conference has no bad teams - that every single team there has to play 8 very tough conference games every single year.

Tennessee Alumnus
9/11/2014, 08:34 PM
Thank you for all of the gracious posts. I can tell Sooners fans are a class act. Everyone wants their team to be a champion. Me too. I would love nothing more, and I think Tennessee will be back in the Top 10 in about 4-5 years. It took about 8 or 9 years of rebuilding to get back from another Tennessee disaster spell to that 1986 Sugar Bowl game against Miami. Historically, unlike the quick turnarounds Nick Saban somehow manages to do, it normally takes quite a number of years for Tennessee to cycle back around to where the Sooners are right now.

No trap. You will see what I was talking about with your own eyes by 10:30 p.m. CDT on Saturday---and say. Huh? Tennessee Alumnus was on the level. If it does not pan out like that, the most surprised person on this planet will be me.

I will leave you with a little piece of Tennessee Volunteer history and tradition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBWJgoBZTeM

This is my last post. Y'all have a good time at the game. Go Vols!!!!! Go Sooners!!!!

Collier11
9/11/2014, 08:54 PM
I actually like Coach Jones and hope he does well at Tennessee, just not when we play over the next few years. Good luck, dont get anyone killed, and if you are in town for the game, be sure to stop by some tailgates. You will be treated well, we even share our beer with visitors. If you see a big/hairy old man named VET, be sure and drink the clear stuff, but dont expect it to be water

soonergirlNeugene
9/11/2014, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIw6tT7WUU0

Piware
9/11/2014, 09:24 PM
Hey, thanks for coming over and giving us some insight. We have been there too and it is especially difficult after having years of success. I am old so I remember a co-worker that was Rocky Top through and through. He didn't come to work for 3 days after we played you all in the 1967 Orange Bowl. He was so sure of victory he had a swooning spell when the Vols lost. It will get better so hang in there. The Gibbs/Blake years were some of the gloomiest of my life. :< )

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 09:40 PM
If you see a big/hairy old man named VET, be sure and drink the clear stuff, but dont expect it to be water

SPOILER ALERT:

The clear stuff will be a crisp Sauvignon Blanc likely served with Vet's favorite tailgate food consisting of Grilled Asparagus with lemon, olive oil and feta.

sendbaht
9/12/2014, 02:45 AM
something fishy about this..but thanks....don't want our team reading this and relaxing...so this is as far as it goes.....

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 07:02 AM
SPOILER ALERT:

The clear stuff will be a crisp Sauvignon Blanc likely served with Vet's favorite tailgate food consisting of Grilled Asparagus with lemon, olive oil and feta.

something fishy about this..but thanks....don't want our team reading this and relaxing...so this is as far as it goes.....

Whats Fishy is 79 a sayin I Grill Asparagus, I grill Okry ya dayum idjit. :drunk:

rock on sooner
9/12/2014, 08:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIw6tT7WUU0

What's this #4 stuff, Coaches poll sez #3! As to OP, pretty brutal assessment
on the surface. If that's correct, though, I should vbet at least a million!:highly_amused:

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 08:41 AM
What's this #4 stuff, Coaches poll sez #3! As to OP, pretty brutal assessment
on the surface. If that's correct, though, I should vbet at least a million!:highly_amused:

Ya cant Bet a Vmillion ya Lib dingbat. Ya only got 5000. Or was ya gonna Print more Vmoney? :highly_amused:

rock on sooner
9/12/2014, 08:49 AM
Ya cant Bet a Vmillion ya Lib dingbat. Ya only got 5000. Or was ya gonna Print more Vmoney? :highly_amused:

Nah, I wuz gonna do "deficit betting" by "borrowin' from the SS trust
fund, jus like the gubment!!!!!:sneakiness:

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 08:55 AM
Nah, I wuz gonna do "deficit betting" by "borrowin' from the SS trust
fund, jus like the gubment!!!!!:sneakiness:

Makes sense LOL

KantoSooner
9/12/2014, 09:19 AM
And Vet, if you've never grilled virtually any veggies, go do it. Today. Califlower is fantastic. Any kind of squash. Hell, even tomatoes.

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 09:42 AM
And Vet, if you've never grilled virtually any veggies, go do it. Today. Califlower is fantastic. Any kind of squash. Hell, even tomatoes.

I grill most everything bro. But right now Im grillin a Lot of okra. damn its good.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2014, 10:36 AM
At least I got the wine pairing correct.

SoonerorLater
9/12/2014, 11:00 AM
At least I got the wine pairing correct.

Perhaps not. I think a subtle yet confident Grüner Veltliner would be a crowd delight at one Vet's soirees.

KantoSooner
9/12/2014, 11:05 AM
Virtually any Cabinet would pair well with Vet's bacon-centered culinary palette.
But probably the best pairing would be French 75's (sugar cube, shot of cognac, fill with champagne - gets you where you're going, bigod. And doesn't mess around wasting time in doing so.)

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 01:00 PM
Virtually any Cabinet would pair well with Vet's bacon-centered culinary palette.
But probably the best pairing would be French 75's (sugar cube, shot of cognac, fill with champagne - gets you where you're going, bigod. And doesn't mess around wasting time in doing so.)

I made Wine once. Dint much care for the stuff so I turned it into Brandy.

KantoSooner
9/12/2014, 01:07 PM
Well, there you go! And making champagne is easier than wine as long as you spend on a capper. You're half way home.

SoonerMarkVA
9/12/2014, 02:17 PM
I made Wine once. Dint much care for the stuff so I turned it into Brandy.

The sailors say, she's a fine girl.

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 02:25 PM
The sailors say, she's a fine girl.

OOH Brandy, I remember HER

KantoSooner
9/12/2014, 02:36 PM
And I remember when Joe Bob Briggs would predict the Cowboy's season by the number of Cowboy cheerleaders whose names ended in 'i' (Brandi, Candi, Sandi, Dolli, Molli, Mandi and so forth).
And damn if he wasn't pretty much dead on.

EatLeadCommie
9/12/2014, 03:07 PM
will you pooswahs quit talking about wine and stick to football, por favor?

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 03:28 PM
That special Night with Brandi and Brandy Hell it was about 64 er so :drunk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rqx14kkpK0

Tennessee Alumnus
9/12/2014, 04:36 PM
Try some of this boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsY7b-7qnhk

Sabanball
9/12/2014, 07:40 PM
I think you've got it about right, TA. I predicted earlier in the week that this game will likely get out of hand real quick. Your team simply does not have the talent level or depth yet to compete with Oklahoma.

As a Bama fan, I hate all things orange and Tennessee, but I honestly think you guys have a good coach in butch jones and that he has your program going in the right direction. He actually scares me a little. See you in Knoxville next month!

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2014, 08:58 PM
I think you've got it about right, TA. I predicted earlier in the week that this game will likely get out of hand real quick. Your team simply does not have the talent level or depth yet to compete with Oklahoma.

As a Bama fan, I hate all things orange and Tennessee, but I honestly think you guys have a good coach in butch jones and that he has your program going in the right direction. He actually scares me a little. See you in Knoxville next month!

What does this have to do with wine and food pairing?

BlownGP
9/12/2014, 10:07 PM
I don't take any team for granted anymore. Not how OU likes to lay eggs every year. Although it's usually way latter in the year.

With that said, it will be probably be close for a qtr once OU feels them out, but like stated they don't have the offense to keep up with us.

I don't understand why the media is hyping this game up so much. I guess sense Tennessee is in the SEC. That automatically makes a notch above every other conference ..lol

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 10:13 PM
Try some of this boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsY7b-7qnhk

Prefer this
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSUTVlyfm-g0WEFWiEYjLP5TC-_vggSfM4fjjJ1Cm7qcB2eoE1feA

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2014, 10:19 PM
I don't understand why the media is hyping this game up so much. I guess sense Tennessee is in the SEC. That automatically makes a notch above every other conference ..lol

Because it's a slow weekend with few big match-ups. That's why gameday is visiting Fargo this weekend. Works out well for OU to get the primetime coverage even though expectations are set high for OU. OUr guys must go out and perform and life will be good.

BlownGP
9/12/2014, 10:55 PM
Because it's a slow weekend with few big match-ups. That's why gameday is visiting Fargo this weekend. Works out well for OU to get the primetime coverage even though expectations are set high for OU. OUr guys must go out and perform and life will be good.

Yeah, that's true. Everybody's still playing cupcakes. That includes UCLA playing Texas.... hahaha

Tennessee Alumnus
9/12/2014, 10:57 PM

The media hype is because this is the first time Oklahoma and Tennessee have played each other in more than half a century or thereabouts---a rare matchup---diamond, emerald, ruby. The media sees it like: "What if Michigan and Ohio State had not played each other in nearly forever and then---all of a sudden one day---they were playing each other." That will probably be the pre-game coverage centerpiece on ABC tomorrow night---just a guess.

Tennessee Alumnus
9/12/2014, 11:02 PM
Do you light yours first to see if it burns without the colors for lead and copper? All the folks on Rocky Top get their corn from a jar too, but they stick a match to it first. Ain't no blind people on Rocky Top. Speaking of Rocky Top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM-M79Lfrw

:highly_amused:

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 11:12 PM
Do you light yours first to see if it burns without the colors for lead and copper? All the folks on Rocky Top get their corn from a jar too, but they stick a match to it first. Ain't no blind people on Rocky Top. Speaking of Rocky Top:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM-M79Lfrw

When I drink it its Cause I made it so NO. I light it to show it Burns almost clear flame. You get the Bad shat if you dont discard the Methanol alcohol that cooks off in the 1st few minutes.

The Lead and Bad crap came from the Poor shiners who couldnt afford a Copper Still and used old Radiators for Condensers

Tennessee Alumnus
9/12/2014, 11:25 PM
Good job!!! Is it smooth or does it have a kick and a bite? What is the best food pairing for shine? Let me guess. Shine goes best with...well...shine!!!!! I love this. Good for you.

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 11:39 PM
Good job!!! Is it smooth or does it have a kick and a bite? What is the best food pairing for shine? Let me guess. Shine goes best with...well...shine!!!!! I love this. Good for you.

It goes down smooth as a Mommas Milk then Kicks the shat out of ya and bites you in the Asz.
Back when we had SF Tailgates I made sure there was a 1/2 Gallon at every TG. None was ever left . I aged it in Oak strips and Bottled it up in Black Jack bottles. LOL

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 11:40 PM
Oh and its Sippin Whiskey Not Chuggin stuff, ya sip it AFTER ya eat.

Tennessee Alumnus
9/12/2014, 11:46 PM
Sounds good to me.

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 11:52 PM
Sounds good to me.

Aint made any since I got Busted LOL

Tennessee Alumnus
9/13/2014, 12:01 AM
Folks on Rocky Top make it anyway 'cause they don't like the gubment. Is that Newman or Brando in your picture? It's so small I can barely tell. Up close it looks like Newman. Is that him as Luke?

olevetonahill
9/13/2014, 12:19 AM
Folks on Rocky Top make it anyway 'cause they don't like the gubment. Is that Newman or Brando in your picture? It's so small I can barely tell. Up close it looks like Newman. Is that him as Luke?

Cool hand Luke . I made it cause I wanted a quart LOL

Tennessee Alumnus
9/13/2014, 12:25 AM
I am glad you enjoyed that game. It's a shame that both of our teams could not have beaten them. They sure deserved it because of their despicable behavior. Here is a brief retrospective on that game just for old times sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1GxwqZ00iU

By the way, VOLS fans have always held the Sooners in high regard---win or lose. In my 62 years, I can honestly say that I have never heard even one Tennessee fan say anything mean-spirited against the Oklahoma team or its fans.

EatLeadCommie
9/13/2014, 01:28 AM
I'm trying to figure out why olevet capitalizes random words.

olevetonahill
9/13/2014, 01:42 AM
I'm trying to figure out why olevet capitalizes random words.

If thats the strangest thing you ever See me do then count yerself lucky :drunk:
Wait till Im durnk and aint got the Spell check on.

SoonerMarkVA
9/13/2014, 09:38 AM
I am glad you enjoyed that game. It's a shame that both of our teams could not have beaten them. They sure deserved it because of their despicable behavior. Here is a brief retrospective on that game just for old times sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1GxwqZ00iU

By the way, VOLS fans have always held the Sooners in high regard---win or lose. In my 62 years, I can honestly say that I have never heard even one Tennessee fan say anything mean-spirited against the Oklahoma team or its fans.

Thanks! Really enjoyed that video. Gawd, how I detested UM and Jimmah Johnson.

stoopified
9/13/2014, 11:21 AM
Thanks for VOLUNTEERING that information.

Miss Phat Phil yet?Mangino would be a good fit, :D

SoonerMarkVA
9/13/2014, 11:47 AM
Mangino would be a good fit, :D

Hardy-har, but seriously, Mangino would be a darn good hire for any team that needs to turn it around. Getting KU to the Orange Bowl is a miracle approaching the status of what Snyder's done at KSU. He could definitely "shape up" his image, though.

Piware
9/13/2014, 11:07 PM
Congrats to the Vols. They are a scrappy bunch and Worley is a gamer. Kid got pounded relentlessly and still got up to take the next snap. Give them some playing time and they are going to be a team to be reckoned with. I like Coach Jones and I think he has UT headed in the right direction. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Turd_Ferguson
9/13/2014, 11:12 PM
Congrats to the Vols. They are a scrappy bunch and Worley is a gamer. Kid got pounded relentlessly and still got up to take the next snap. Give them some playing time and they are going to be a team to be reckoned with. I like Coach Jones and I think he has UT headed in the right direction. Good luck for the rest of the season.

^^^^^This.

BoulderSooner79
9/13/2014, 11:23 PM
Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if the Vols make some noise in the SEC east this season. All the teams over there look vulnerable. Jones has UT on the right track.

SoCalBigRed
9/14/2014, 12:05 AM
I predict 34 - 10 and a Tennessee team with a lot of young talent will put up more of a fight than some of us thought... and have a good chance of making some noise in the SEC this year. I'd feel good about your chances, especially at home where the crowd will carry their energy a lot longer.

Eielson
9/14/2014, 01:55 AM
I bet Sabanball made this thread under a different name just to protect SEC integrity.

Sooner91ATL
9/14/2014, 02:31 AM
Tennessee has some athletes. Their speed is incredible. Shepard got run down twice and someone almost caught up with Julian Wilson, tho he was running out of gas. If their QB hadn't been a 6'4" tackling dummy, they could have been really dangerous. Their linebackers are very good. Next year they will be quite a challenge after their linemen do some bench pressin'.