PDA

View Full Version : Rice - Mixon parallel

Alum81
9/11/2014, 06:48 AM
I am just wondering if/when the Mixon tape is made public, if the political outcry that is attacking the NFL will come after OU if we don't permanently dismiss Mixon.

SoonerMarkVA
9/11/2014, 07:00 AM
It won't be good, that's for sure. Hard to say how differently people will view the situation. Also hard to say how much lower their tolerance will be on the heels of the Rice situation.

olevetonahill
9/11/2014, 08:09 AM
Holy Hell, Why do you people Keep Grinding on this?

SanJoaquinSooner
9/11/2014, 09:22 AM
with domestic violence, if a guy is caught on tape there's a good chance it's not the first time he hit her and a good chance it won't be the last.

the parallel isn't there

KantoSooner
9/11/2014, 09:49 AM
Well, considering that the majority of the outcry against the NFL right now revolves around 1) a perceived attempt on the part of the Commissioner's Office and the team ownership to cover it up and, 2) the documented attempt of the league to punish Rice with what the public deems a grossly disproportionate penalty, I would say that OU's case is quite distinct. OU never attempted to cover up anything and issued a punishment that was, if anything, far in excess of what was expected.
Other distinguishing factors include the age of the actors, the fact that Rice was in a relationship with his GF/Wife (which brings into play the whole panoply of unequal power, her potential inability to leave due to financial concerns, likelihood that this was simply one incident among many, etc), provocation and more.
As we have seen on this board, however, there is a strong segment of the population who believes that the two events are indistinguishable due to the gender of the person who was hit. So, there will be, and are, people who sincerely believe that Mixon should be locked up, preferably for life. Maybe tortured for good measure.
It will be interesting to see whether the university rolls over and kowtows at the first hint of disapproval or stays the course, follows their procedure (when it begins to serve Mixon's interests, since they have most certainly followed it when the procedure worked against him) and permits an end to this affair.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/11/2014, 10:01 AM
There needs to be a smear campaign of Mia Molitor. That chick is scum and more than likely when it is all said and done with, Joe Mixon will be a tax paying member of society while Mia will be getting support by tax paying members of society. What Joe did was wrong and deserved the suspension, but in no way, is Mia the "victim" in this story. Should should have been charged with a misdemeanor as well. Anyhoo.

KantoSooner
9/11/2014, 10:15 AM
Life has a tendency to work out in the end. Joe Mixon will likely end up on the NFL. Molitor, living in a windowless Econoline down by a dry creek bed with her three kids (the dark haired one, the blond and the red head). Life is typically not kind to low-level addict/dealers).

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 10:46 AM
There needs to be a smear campaign of Mia Molitor. That chick is scum and more than likely when it is all said and done with, Joe Mixon will be a tax paying member of society while Mia will be getting support by tax paying members of society. What Joe did was wrong and deserved the suspension, but in no way, is Mia the "victim" in this story. Should should have been charged with a misdemeanor as well. Anyhoo.

I'm sure you're joking because no one would wish a life of misery on an immature 20 year old women that made a mistake.

Turd_Ferguson
9/11/2014, 10:51 AM
What did Mixon do now?

Tear Down This Wall
9/11/2014, 10:57 AM
I'm sure you're joking because no one would wish a life of misery on an immature 20 year old women that made a mistake.

And, on top of that, a second generation Sooner. Her mom graduated from OU in the 1980s. She's also been working her way through school, the way many of us did.

Sad. Very sad that for the sake on one player this is the type of mindset some of our fans have.

I guarantee that if this had happened in Austin with a UT recruit or Stillwater with a Poke recruit, there would thread after thread here about how those programs were accepting of criminals and players who beat women.

Ridiculously hypocritical. Many of you need to set aside the entertainment element of your lives which is OU football and understand that there is a real world out there where knocking out women isn't acceptable.

olevetonahill
9/11/2014, 11:10 AM
And, on top of that, a second generation Sooner. Her mom graduated from OU in the 1980s. She's also been working her way through school, the way many of us did.

Sad. Very sad that for the sake on one player this is the type of mindset some of our fans have.

I guarantee that if this had happened in Austin with a UT recruit or Stillwater with a Poke recruit, there would thread after thread here about how those programs were accepting of criminals and players who beat women.

Ridiculously hypocritical. Many of you need to set aside the entertainment element of your lives which is OU football and understand that
there is a real world out there where knocking out women isn't acceptable.

Unless the Bitch deserves it, Right?

KantoSooner
9/11/2014, 11:18 AM
No, Vet, you didn't read the memo: Under no circumstances is striking a woman acceptable. None. Don't care if she's on angel dust and has an Uzi to the head of toddler. It's just non-negotiable.
Now, if it's woman on woman, then crack out the beers and set up the lawn chairs, I suppose.
Likewise if it's some crazy 125 lb dude getting stomped by your local neighborhood biker.
In those circumstances, we'll allow logic to prevail and ask questions about how the 'striking' came to happen. But male striking female? Nope, that's just blanket wrong.
Apparently.

SouthFortySooner
9/11/2014, 11:29 AM
I just wish this incident with Mia had not happened. But, it did. And I still wish it hadn't.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 11:39 AM
No, Vet, you didn't read the memo: Under no circumstances is striking a woman acceptable. None. Don't care if she's on angel dust and has an Uzi to the head of toddler. It's just non-negotiable.
Now, if it's woman on woman, then crack out the beers and set up the lawn chairs, I suppose.
Likewise if it's some crazy 125 lb dude getting stomped by your local neighborhood biker.
In those circumstances, we'll allow logic to prevail and ask questions about how the 'striking' came to happen. But male striking female? Nope, that's just blanket wrong.
Apparently.

Kanto, I know you're being sarcastic, but I haven't read many folks making that blanket statement. They are talking about this women in this situation. The reporters that saw the video all said the same thing - that there is no way to interpret Mixon's actions as self defense. Molitor is much smaller than Mixon already and her intoxicated state diminished her capabilities even more. Her shove and slap barely registered and his response was clearly retaliation born of anger. The fact that he was not drinking actual makes it worse because that would at least given a reason for impaired judgement. Some of the reporters that were more on Mixon's side, said the video changed their minds.

Wishboned
9/11/2014, 12:04 PM
Holy Hell, Why do you people Keep Grinding on this?

I wonder if they take the saddle off, or leave it on, when they're beating the dead horse.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/11/2014, 12:11 PM

I didn't read anywhere wishing her a life of misery. It's an observation of her being involved in this event, along with her criminal past and various comments she has made via Facebook and Twitter.

"Word to the wise, never "F" with a drunk Mia."

This chick is low class and isn't just immature, she has a very real problem who didn't make a single mistake, she has a history of making mistakes. I'm not defending Joe Mixon, he shouldn't have hit her and he should have been suspended, but she is far from being a "victim" as it has been portrayed. What she has done in the past IS relevant as it relates to character issues, which are STILL issues.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/11/2014, 12:13 PM

Ridiculously hypocritical. Many of you need to set aside the entertainment element of your lives which is OU football and understand that there is a real world out there where knocking out women isn't acceptable.

You seem rather naive and think that Mia is a model citizen.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 12:17 PM
Molitor obviously does have issues and she was clearly in the wrong in the incident (which doesn't put Mixon in the right). If she continues her ways, she will end up in a trailer with 3 children of different fathers as Kanto suggests. But that doesn't justify a smear campaign by an angry lynch mob of fanboys upset because she interfered with their Saturday entertainment experience.

SoonerorLater
9/11/2014, 12:19 PM

Right but this is the SoonerFans board so any reason to trash those two is a good one. Why would we not want to do that?

olevetonahill
9/11/2014, 12:27 PM
I wonder if they take the saddle off, or leave it on, when they're beating the dead horse.

I believe they show a Spot of decency and remove it and the Bridle
well see for yerself!
http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

freshchris05
9/11/2014, 12:41 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/540/668/58a.jpg

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 12:49 PM
Totally agree with the dead horse analogy here. But if the Rice thing teaches us anything, expect a miraculous equine resurrection at the national level on 11/1.

olevetonahill
9/11/2014, 12:50 PM

Heh

Real MEN dont hit wimmens, they do what I do. Make em kick rocks or Haul em off in the back of my truck!:highly_amused:

Wishboned
9/11/2014, 05:32 PM
I believe they show a Spot of decency and remove it and the Bridle
well see for yerself!
http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

:biggrin:

Wishboned
9/11/2014, 05:33 PM

I hope that's not a female horse.

Real men don't beat dead female horses.

Statalyzer
9/11/2014, 07:54 PM
Apparently.

OK but in this situation she compares to him in physical brute force about the same way most of us compare to a 6th grade child.

aurorasooner
9/11/2014, 08:13 PM
Personally, I think Mixon was set up. If I was OU, I'd put a PI or 2 on her and see if she (or her family) has made any abnormal cash purchases lately. She'll probably pull a Jerry Jone's hooker and sue him 5 years from now if he makes it to league and is making some money.
While I don't condone what he did, as young as he is, I'd pretty much be ok, if he'd slapped her with an open palm, if she got the toilet mouth and racially slurred him. If she didn't and was just harassing him, he should've just walked away. Tough to do when you're 18 or 19, though.

FaninAma
9/11/2014, 10:20 PM
OK but in this situation she compares to him in physical brute force about the same way most of us compare to a 6th grade child.
So if that is the standard then any 150 lb penicl-nexked frat boy should be able to beyotch slap any 250 lb MMA fighter with impunity.......right?

FaninAma
9/11/2014, 10:21 PM
Duplicate.

manateepower
9/12/2014, 12:00 AM

Funny coming from you considering your rants about Mixon, and you seem to want nothing for him but a life of misery.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2014, 12:28 AM
Funny coming from you considering your rants about Mixon, and you seem to want nothing for him but a life of misery.

Point me to my rants. I said early on I expected a 4ish game suspension and questioned the decision to prohibit him from team activities. And I certainly did not write that he should be kicked off the team. My comment about the "joke" was because the poster suggested a public smear campaign against Molitor. Now this board is nothing like twitter, but we've seen how powerful such media tools can be and OU has literally millions of fans. If just a tiny percentage of them are moronic enough to really launch a smear compaign, it could have devastating effects. I would say the same thing about any idiot suggesting a smear campaign against Mixon - also a young person that made a mistake.

cvsooner
9/12/2014, 12:22 PM
Mixon keeps making mistakes, seemingly unclear about what he can and can't do in regards to team activities. Needs to get that straightened out pretty quick.

KantoSooner
9/12/2014, 12:29 PM
To what do you refer?

freshchris05
9/12/2014, 12:34 PM
To what do you refer?

A pep rally that he attended and was allowed to attend. CV just reads stupid articles.

KantoSooner
9/12/2014, 01:08 PM
Ah. Well, don't let me get in the way of MixonHate.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2014, 01:25 PM
I guess it was a couple of writers and OSU fans that got their panties in wads. It probably would be wise for OU to err on the side of keeping Mixon low key this season.

KantoSooner
9/12/2014, 02:03 PM
he's not on the team and can't practice of engage in official team activities. Can't go a lot lower than that unless we rent out the dungeon of the Bastille and order him shackled to a wall.

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 02:13 PM
he's not on the team and can't practice of engage in official team activities. Can't go a lot lower than that unless we rent out the dungeon of the Bastille and order him shackled to a wall.

But he Must be More severely punished for this latest Transgression. He Gasp, Went to a Pep Rally and Horror of Horrors He went on the Court where Mere students are not allowed.

WE must get out the Cat o' nine tails and administer 40 lashes followed By a Tar and feather episode.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/12/suspended-joe-mixon-takes-part-in-sooners-pep-rally/

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2014, 02:14 PM
Just sayin' he could have been in the stands with students at the pep rally instead of on the floor with some players. No big deal, but if I were Mixon, I'd try to stay out of the public eye until the '14 season concludes. Then be fresh and ready to go for spring camp.

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 02:22 PM
Just sayin' he could have been in the stands with students at the pep rally instead of on the floor with some players. No big deal, but if I were Mixon, I'd try to stay out of the public eye until the '14 season concludes. Then be fresh and ready to go for spring camp.
79, May I ask how old you are? Im going to guess your in your 40s at least, You are not that far removed from 18 IMHO, You really believe that an 18 year old is going to act like a Grown Mature man? Hell I came home froma war at 19 and I still wernt grown up. for that matter Im 64 and I still aint grown up.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2014, 02:35 PM
79, May I ask how old you are? Im going to guess your in your 40s at least, You are not that far removed from 18 IMHO, You really believe that an 18 year old is going to act like a Grown Mature man? Hell I came home froma war at 19 and I still wernt grown up. for that matter Im 64 and I still aint grown up.

I'm 58 and about as grown up as you are - my wife has given up on my maturing. When I say Mixon here, I mean Mixon + whoever gives him advice. This little pep rally tempest in a teapot could be a good thing as it shows any little thing he does makes news. Might avoid something that's real in the future. Again,no big deal.

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=BoulderSooner79;4845086]I'm 58 and about as grown up as you are - my wife has given up on my maturing. When I say Mixon here, I mean Mixon + whoever gives him advice. This little pep rally tempest in a teapot could be a good thing as it shows any little thing he does makes news. Might avoid something that's real in the future. Again,no big deal.[/QUOTE
I Knowed ya was Older than in yer 40s I was just bein Polite LOL.

Ya cant sit on a Kid. He is excited about being a Sooner and I think he will turn out Great Myself.

LakeRat
9/12/2014, 02:51 PM
My thoughts have always been, send a bus full of girls to austin... give them a few shots and start fights with texas football players.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2014, 03:07 PM
My thoughts have always been, send a bus full of girls to austin... give them a few shots and start fights with texas football players.

horns already have enough guys out injured as it is.

FaninAma
9/12/2014, 04:52 PM
horns already have enough guys out injured as it is.
Bazinga!