PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Cut Rice after video emerges. Turns out it's not cool to hit women.

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 02:00 PM
When the Mixon tape comes out look for it to be harder for him to come back.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/ray-rice-cut-ravens-video-elevator-punch/story?id=25347953

BermudaSooner
9/8/2014, 02:01 PM
Should have never drafted that guy. Damnit.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 02:04 PM
I'm not defending Rice's actions, but the NFL suspending him indefinitely seems wrong. They just published the new policy of 6 games for the first offense and then lifetime. So unless "indefinitely" means 6 games, then it seems stupid to even have a written policy.

Eielson
9/8/2014, 02:06 PM

Or easier. Or the same. It kind of depends on what the video shows.

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 02:07 PM

Or easier. Or the same. It kind of depends on what the video shows.

From those that have seen the video, they say it is comparable. There won't be very many people in his corner after the video comes out.

Eielson
9/8/2014, 02:09 PM
They just published the new policy of 6 games for the first offense and then lifetime.

And Mixon got a whole year, so I don't see the OP's point. I think he's trying too hard to make an "I told you so" thread.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 02:15 PM
And Mixon got a whole year, so I don't see the OP's point. I think he's trying too hard to make an "I told you so" thread.

I think the point is valid that people change their reaction after seeing a video even though they already know exactly what happened.

Other than that, the Rice and Mixon incidents are very different. One is domestic violence and the other is more a bar fight.

Eielson
9/8/2014, 02:15 PM
From those that have seen the video, they say it is comparable. There won't be very many people in his corner after the video comes out.

I generally form my own opinions, so I'll wait until I can see it. I'll leave the future-seeing to you.

Eielson
9/8/2014, 02:26 PM
I think the point is valid that people change their reaction after seeing a video even though they already know exactly what happened.

True. I was actually expecting a much worse punch. From what I could see in that video, my guess is that she wasn't knocked unconscious until her head hit the wall.

Other than that, the Rice and Mixon incidents are very different. One is domestic violence and the other is more a bar fight.

From the video, it appeared that Rice provoked the whole ordeal. It appears he spit on her outside the elevator, followed her into the elevator, and then got in her face again (spitting again?). The aftermath looked ugly as well. I'm not exactly sure what he was doing, but he dragged her around, and didn't seem the least bit concerned for her (even left her feet in the elevator). There's a lot more to this Rice video than the punch.

And once again, Mixon was suspended more than two games.

cherokeebrewer
9/8/2014, 02:28 PM
I generally form my own opinions, so I'll wait until I can see it. I'll leave the future-seeing to you.

It's not hard to figure out. Those in the media who have seen the video say...shove...lunge...slap...knock out punch.

Eielson
9/8/2014, 02:34 PM
It's not hard to figure out. Those in the media who have seen the video say...shove...lunge...slap...knock out punch.

Sounds a lot better than than Rice's spit, spit, punch, head slam, drag limb body around combo.

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 02:37 PM

Did she need surgery?

I think the Mixon video will be worse.

Eye witnesses said you can see his fist deform and break her face.

Expect a firestorm of ugly.

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 02:39 PM

It ain't too hard to figure out that it'll be a very bad time.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 02:44 PM
And once again, Mixon was suspended more than two games.

I was only comparing public reaction to a video, otherwise it's oranges and ducks. The NFL/Ravens are completely disjoint from the NCAA/OU as far as rules and punishments.

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 02:48 PM
Dude If and when we see the Vid and its even close to that then Ill say you were right, Until then Ima say you Sir are an Idiot.
IF the Mixon deal deal was every bit as bad as the Rice Smack down as YOU say Then why in hell did the ****in DA say charges "WOULDNT" have been filed against Joe if the Skank had been a "MAN" ?

SoonerorLater
9/8/2014, 02:53 PM
It ain't too hard to figure out that it'll be a very bad time.

Nah, I doubt it.

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 03:22 PM
Dude If and when we see the Vid and its even close to that then Ill say you were right, Until then Ima say you Sir are an Idiot.
IF the Mixon deal deal was every bit as bad as the Rice Smack down as YOU say Then why in hell did the ****in DA say charges "WOULDNT" have been filed against Joe if the Skank had been a "MAN" ?

That's a bet I'd be willing to take

nighttrain12
9/8/2014, 03:24 PM
The Mixon video comes out to the general public on November 1st. The thing is, Boren/Castiglione/Stoops have already seen the video (unlike the NFL's Goddell and Ravens management who had not seen the Ray Rice elevator video). I don't see how OU can get rid of Mixon permanently since they can't claim it will be new evidence.

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 03:29 PM
The Mixon video comes out to the general public on November 1st. The thing is, Boren/Castiglione/Stoops have already seen the video (unlike the NFL's Goddell and Ravens management who had not seen the Ray Rice elevator video). I don't see how OU can get rid of Mixon permanently since they can't claim it will be new evidence.

There is some debate about whether the NFL had seen the video.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/peter-king-contradicts-nfl-statement-that-the-league-never-saw-the-ray-rice-video.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=peter-king-contradicts-nfl-statement-that-the-league-never-saw-the-ray-rice-video

jkjsooner
9/8/2014, 03:38 PM
The ironic thing is that Rice's wife will pay a financial price for today's suspension decision.

There really is a conflict of interest when it comes to battered spouses. They are in the unfortunate position that if they do what is necessary to protect themselves physically they very well may harm themselves financially.

That of course is true whether it is a millionaire football player or a lower middle class worker. Rice's wife has a lot more to lose but assuming he didn't blow everything (big assumption) she can afford to lose it.

Anyway, I don't know the solution to this part. There probably isn't a good one.

badger
9/8/2014, 03:38 PM
after the ravens cut him, his "suspension" is about to get a hell of a lot longer than two games. what nfl team would dare sign him now? there needs to be a cooling off period. at least a season I'd say

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 03:42 PM

Is it fact they had seen the video? I thought the DA said he was withholding it since it was evidence. Regardless, we do know the DA met with Boren and Stoops before the suspension was announced, so they had all the information. They also met with Mixon. I personally don't need to see the video to form any opinion. It's been reported in detail by the police report and now by the media guys that have seen it. I know what a punch looks like.

badger
9/8/2014, 03:45 PM
The ironic thing is that Rice's wife will pay a financial price for today's suspension decision

I think that's why she took part in the press conference with her now-husband, why she said the things she did (i.e. "I do deeply regret the role that I played in the incident that night"), why she didn't press charges etc.

There really was a lot for both of them to lose here. Ray Rice was in the midst of a five-year, $35 million contract. I'm sure that signing bonuses and such smudged the numbers a bit, but about $7 million this season alone. Without her support and not pressing charges, I think we'd all agree he would have gotten more than a two-game suspension (unpaid!)

After TMZ ruins another sports career via hidden recording devices, let this be a lesson to the wealthy but stupid: Act like you are being recorded at all times and in all places, or you, too, will be TMZ'd.

jkjsooner
9/8/2014, 03:48 PM
Did she need surgery?

I think the Mixon video will be worse.

Eye witnesses said you can see his fist deform and break her face.

Expect a firestorm of ugly.

You could be right but I'm not sure. I think the girl hit on the basketball court by the Texas Tech football player also required surgery and I don't think that incident looks quite as bad as Rice's. It may be because the two had been going at it for a while and were involved in an athletic competition. A late night altercation between a group of people might have a similar feel to it.

In either case, all of these incidents are inexcusable unless actually required to defend oneself. I wouldn't have a problem if the girl was attacking Mixon and he slapped her as a defensive move but there's a big difference between a slap and a closed fist punch.

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 03:50 PM
That's a bet I'd be willing to take

I was unaware of ANY BET in my post!

SoonerBBall
9/8/2014, 03:51 PM
You could be right but I'm not sure. I think the girl hit on the basketball court by the Texas Tech football player also required surgery and I don't think that incident looks quite as bad as Rice's. It may be because the two had been going at it for a while and were involved in an athletic competition. A late night altercation between a group of people might have a similar feel to it.

In either case, all of these incidents are inexcusable unless actually required to defend oneself. I wouldn't have a problem if the girl was attacking Mixon and he slapped her as a defensive move but there's a big difference between a slap and a closed fist punch.

Since when should someone defending their person be required to judge the least necessary type of response to stop the assault? That is asinine.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 03:53 PM
after the ravens cut him, his "suspension" is about to get a hell of a lot longer than two games. what nfl team would dare sign him now? there needs to be a cooling off period. at least a season I'd say

No team will sign him while his suspension is termed "indefinite". The NFL has to put a number to it and I suspect a team on the bubble for a playoff spot later this season and in need of an RB would consider him "cooled off" enough.

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2014, 03:58 PM
The NFL is going to have their indefinite suspension slapped down by the player's union (and justifiably so, IMHO), but nobody will sign Ray Rice for the rest of this season unless he goes CFL or something.

Big difference in context between Ray Rice and Joe Mixon. Same end result for the girl.

badger
9/8/2014, 03:58 PM
Since when should someone defending their person be required to judge the least necessary type of response to stop the assault? That is asinine.

Video demonstration: Homer Simpson (playing Krusty) can defend his Krusty burgers against theft, but he cannot kill the thief defending his burgers:
7DAlo2hlFQU

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 04:01 PM
I was unaware of ANY BET in my post!

If and when we see the Vid and its even close to that then Ill say you were right, Until then Ima say you Sir are an Idiot.

OK, maybe not BET per se.

I'm fairly confident one of us is an idiot and that it ain't me.

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 04:04 PM

Other than calling you an Idiot for Jumping to so many conclusions about this without ANY facts Im not the one condemning a young man {YET}

Tear Down This Wall
9/8/2014, 04:06 PM

Scholarships are renewed year to year; they are not four year deals. So, they could cut him loose pretty easily after the season. Kick him off the team, even though he'd still be able to go to school in the spring.

The best thing would be for them to kick him out. Knocking girls out is not funny or excusable. It's sickening that some of you get on here and try to defend athletes punching women. If Joe Mixon isn't man enough to walk away from a mouthy women, then he doesn't need to be at Oklahoma.

The school and football program are far bigger than Joe Mixon and Dorial Green-Beckham. Stoops won his only national title with a running back and a set of receivers considered far less talented than Mixon and Green-Beckham when they signed on.

Hopefully, Stoops remembers that.

Tear Down This Wall
9/8/2014, 04:10 PM
The ironic thing is that Rice's wife will pay a financial price for today's suspension decision.

There really is a conflict of interest when it comes to battered spouses. They are in the unfortunate position that if they do what is necessary to protect themselves physically they very well may harm themselves financially.

That of course is true whether it is a millionaire football player or a lower middle class worker. Rice's wife has a lot more to lose but assuming he didn't blow everything (big assumption) she can afford to lose it.

Anyway, I don't know the solution to this part. There probably isn't a good one.

The solution is, don't hit women.

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2014, 04:17 PM
Scholarships are renewed year to year; they are not four year deals. So, they could cut him loose pretty easily after the season. Kick him off the team, even though he'd still be able to go to school in the spring.

The best thing would be for them to kick him out. Knocking girls out is not funny or excusable. It's sickening that some of you get on here and try to defend athletes punching women. If Joe Mixon isn't man enough to walk away from a mouthy women, then he doesn't need to be at Oklahoma.

The school and football program are far bigger than Joe Mixon and Dorial Green-Beckham. Stoops won his only national title with a running back and a set of receivers considered far less talented than Mixon and Green-Beckham when they signed on.

Hopefully, Stoops remembers that.

There's an enormous difference between a domestic violence situation and a drunk, strange woman getting physical (and possibly hurling epithets to boot).

Mixon will have served out his punishment after a year. That is more than enough time and I'll be more than happy to have him back with OU.

EatLeadCommie
9/8/2014, 04:22 PM

Which is why the NFL's policy on domestic violence is so stupid, IMHO. With its absolute punishments for domestic violence, it fails to consider any sort of context. It also creates two incentives for the victim in addition to the "don't beat your wife or GF" for the player. One is to not report the incident so as not to cut off her meal ticket, and you can rest assured that a player beating on his woman will remind her of that when she picks up her phone. The other incentive will be for some crazy or estranged ex to hurl allegations to ruin their former meal ticket.

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 04:27 PM

This.

Bccajun
9/8/2014, 04:27 PM

A group of us spoke about it when the news broke. The 1 year suspension it's almost saying it's ok to hit a woman. For those that say she caused it. It takes a better man to walk away than turn around and hit her.

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 04:31 PM
A group of us spoke about it when the news broke. The 1 year suspension it's almost saying it's ok to hit a woman. For those that say she caused it. It takes a better man to walk away than turn around and hit her.

If the video is as disgusting and egregious as the press reports and matches the level of the Rice video (we shall see), then I don't want him on the team.

Not now.
Not ever.

Let him go someplace else.

I know that may seem harsh.

Too bad.

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 04:33 PM

This.

And Ill wager every one of you 3 think WOMEN should be allowed in Combat. :highly_amused:

Bccajun
9/8/2014, 04:49 PM
Not at all I'm saying true men don't hit women. Your talking battlefield totally different! I didn't see a war zone in Norman or the elevator did you?

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 04:55 PM
Not at all I'm saying true men don't hit women. Your talking battlefield totally different! I didn't see a war zone in Norman or the elevator did you?

Ya missed it Smooth missed it.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 04:59 PM

Question for you: Do you consider yourself "old school" or "politically correct" when you make that statement? Neither?

Bccajun
9/8/2014, 05:04 PM
No you missed it guy. You seem to think its ok.

8timechamps
9/8/2014, 05:08 PM

Couple of things are different:

1. Ray Rice is/was the starting RB on one of the NFL's better teams. His name was known by just about every fan of the NFL long before this incident.
2. Ray Rice is not a kid. He shouldn't (and isn't) being given the benefit of the doubt.
3. Joe Mixon is not a household name. Unless you follow recruiting, or are an OU fan, Joe Mixon is an unknown.
4. Ray Rice didn't just hit the woman, he knocked her out then acted like it was completely normal. Dragging her unconscious body out of the elevator like a bag of garbage.

These are some pretty major differences.

Also, the original NFL "penalty" was ridiculous. They knew it was ridiculous when they handed it down (that's why they quickly announced changes to the punishment). OU acted quickly, and stood by their initial punishment. Nobody is second-guessing the way OU handled this.

It's not going to make coming back any harder for Joe. He's already decided to stay, and you can bet he's fully aware of the fact that the video will eventually be released.

Joe made a mistake, one that he's paying a hefty price for, and it should be over. Sadly, there will be people that act like the incident is suddenly worse than it was because there is now a video of the incident. Those are the worst kind of people.

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 05:10 PM
No you missed it guy. You seem to think its ok.

Where have I said that? I havnt. I personally have Never hit a woman for any reason. Unless ya count older sisters who were pissing me off.
Im saying they dont get Blanket protection just because they are a Girl!

If a skank wants to jump in a Guys face she needs to be ready to pay the price. Much like a woman wanting to go into Combat needs to be ready to pay the price of that decision.

Im sayin I will reserve judgement{Unlike some of you} Until I see the Vid and NOT Base it on a bunch of message boards Posters thoughts.

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 05:12 PM

1. Ray Rice is/was the starting RB on one of the NFL's better teams. His name was known by just about every fan of the NFL long before this incident.
2. Ray Rice is not a kid. He shouldn't (and isn't) being given the benefit of the doubt.
3. Joe Mixon is not a household name. Unless you follow recruiting, or are an OU fan, Joe Mixon is an unknown.
4. Ray Rice didn't just hit the woman, he knocked her out then acted like it was completely normal. Dragging her unconscious body out of the elevator like a bag of garbage.

Also, the original NFL "penalty" was ridiculous. They knew it was ridiculous when they handed it down (that's why they quickly announced changes to the punishment). OU acted quickly, and stood by their initial punishment. Nobody is second-guessing the way OU handled this.

It's not going to make coming back any harder for Joe. He's already decided to stay, and you can bet he's fully aware of the fact that the video will eventually be released.

Joe made a mistake, one that he's paying a hefty price for, and it should be over. Sadly, there will be people that act like the incident is suddenly worse than it was because there is now a video of the incident. Those are the worst kind of people.

Yup. It appears he knows he messed up and is willing to Pay the price. I wish him well.

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 05:14 PM

Bandit that would make a pretty much everyone they worst kind of people according to your definition. Once the video was released today, the reaction was swift and immediate from all camps. Reading a description of what happened and seeing what happened are entirely different things.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 05:16 PM

8time, are you just kidding or have you just ignored all the Mixon threads on this board?

Wishboned
9/8/2014, 05:18 PM

From what I've heard he didn't need a corner man.

8timechamps
9/8/2014, 05:18 PM
Yup. It appears he knows he messed up and is willing to Pay the price. I wish him well.

Absolutely.

I don't need to see the Mixon video. It's been dealt with, and it's over.

Contrary to what some may thing, it's not going to get "a lot uglier". I don't know about folks in other parts of the country, but there wasn't a single mention in the paper, on the radio or local TV programming here. If there was (and I missed it), there's a 100% chance that people here said "who?" then moved on.

There have been many incidents of college players being caught on video fighting (I'm thinking of the LSU RB that sucker punched the guy, or the recent Michigan player), and those video's didn't cause things to get "a lot uglier". And in the LSU case, the punishment was a joke.

8timechamps
9/8/2014, 05:21 PM
Bandit that would make a pretty much everyone they worst kind of people according to your definition. Once the video was released today, the reaction was swift and immediate from all camps. Reading a description of what happened and seeing what happened are entirely different things.

Who's Bandit?

Again, there is a MAJOR difference in the incidents. If there is a video out there of Mixon spitting, punching, dragging the girl from the bar, then I would probably change my opinion too. But, there isn't.

The majority of people reacting are doing so in conjunction with asking why the NFL went so light on Rice in the first place. If Rice had been suspended for a year initially, I don't think the reaction would be anything like it is today. But, again, the incident are very different.

8timechamps
9/8/2014, 05:23 PM
8time, are you just kidding or have you just ignored all the Mixon threads on this board?

Being serious, but I should have included an addendum.

When I say "nobody is second guessing", I mean the folks in similar situations. Other head coaches, current staff, etc. Not the general fan base. Hell, we can't agree on much of anything outside of wanting OU to win.

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 05:25 PM
Absolutely.

I don't need to see the Mixon video. It's been dealt with, and it's over.

Contrary to what some may thing, it's not going to get "a lot uglier". I don't know about folks in other parts of the country, but there wasn't a single mention in the paper, on the radio or local TV programming here. If there was (and I missed it), there's a 100% chance that people here said "who?" then moved on.

There have been many incidents of college players being caught on video fighting (I'm thinking of the LSU RB that sucker punched the guy, or the recent Michigan player), and those video's didn't cause things to get "a lot uglier". And in the LSU case, the punishment was a joke.

Yup I agrre bro. There seems to be a few here that are trying to Hard to Prove just How much of a man they are by continueing to Put Mixon down and Paint him in a bad light.

Its like they have to Prove to themselves and the world Just How much more Civilized, Superior and sophisticated they are. Than us Lowly heathen animals.

Well to them All I gotta say is Give me yer lunch money ya wuss before I kick the crap out of ya!:boxing::drunk::highly_amused:

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 05:29 PM
Being serious, but I should have included an addendum.

When I say "nobody is second guessing", I mean the folks in similar situations. Other head coaches, current staff, etc. Not the general fan base. Hell, we can't agree on much of anything outside of wanting OU to win.

Oh, you mean people that matter, not just a bunch of keyboard fanboys.

:highly_amused:

Turd_Ferguson
9/8/2014, 05:39 PM
Heh. Friday, traber was losing his ****'n mind over the mixon video, ranting and raving about how he should be kicked out of OU and go to jail. After about 10 minutes of his bull****, he admits that he was invited to view the video with the press but wasn't able to make it. He was basing his hysterics off of what others who seen it had told him. FF a few minutes and Blevins comes on. Deans first statement about the video was "I can't believe they didn't file charges on the girl".

cherokeebrewer
9/8/2014, 05:48 PM
All I gotta say is Give me yer lunch money ya wuss before I kick the crap out of ya!:boxing::drunk::highly_amused:

You can try...

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 05:57 PM
You can try...

OOH Tuff guy huh? Ya wont hit a woman to defend yerself But you WILL beat up and Old Fat man to save a dollar.
My Hero.

cherokeebrewer
9/8/2014, 06:21 PM
OOH Tuff guy huh? Ya wont hit a woman to defend yerself But you WILL beat up and Old Fat man to save a dollar.
My Hero.

I don't need to defend myself with women, but I am mildly amused by redneck internet 'tough' guys. I would not harm an Old Fat man...

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 06:30 PM
I don't need to defend myself with women, but I am mildly amused by redneck internet 'tough' guys. I would not harm an Old Fat man...

Careful, that might be an Old Fat man packin' heat.

Turd_Ferguson
9/8/2014, 06:42 PM

You wrong sister...you wrong. Bring your flat sachelled *** over to the Posse. We might be able to lift/firm that thing up just a skoatch. Ya hear me?

cherokeebrewer
9/8/2014, 06:49 PM
You wrong sister...you wrong. Bring your flat sachelled *** over to the Posse. We might be able to lift/firm that thing up just a skoatch. Ya hear me?

Sorry, I only speak English...

Turd_Ferguson
9/8/2014, 07:00 PM
Sorry, I only speak English...

You know damn right you understand. Its the language of LOVE. Open up your eyes and lemme get some.

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 07:09 PM

You the One acting all Tuff Butthead, I was making a joke You said you wouldnt hit a woman But then said to Just TRY to take yer Lunch money that says YOU would attempt to stop Me from takin it.
Make up yer Mind ya Bean breath

cherokeebrewer
9/8/2014, 07:13 PM
You the One acting all Tuff Butthead, I was making a joke You said you wouldnt hit a woman But then said to Just TRY to take yer Lunch money that says YOU would attempt to stop Me from takin it.
Make up yer Mind ya Bean breath

Actually I said you can try to beat the the crap out of me. Lord have mercy, I have incurred the wrath of the dreaded 'posse'...I don't know what shall I do.

olevetonahill
9/8/2014, 07:18 PM
Actually I said you can try to beat the the crap out of me. Lord have mercy, I have incurred the wrath of the dreaded 'posse'...I don't know what shall I do.

Sheat you aint important enough fer the Posse to get after LOL

badger
9/9/2014, 08:30 AM
The wife strikes back... (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11493042/janay-rice-defends-ray-rice-criticizes-media-instagram-post)

Also of note...

The Associated Press reported Monday night that it had viewed a higher-quality video provided by a law enforcement official, and that Rice and Palmer could be heard shouting obscenities at each other. According to the AP, after she collapses, he drags her out of the elevator and is met by some hotel staff. One of them can be heard saying, "She's drunk, right?" And then, "No cops." Rice doesn't respond.

The video, which is slightly longer than the TMZ version and includes some audio, was shown to the AP on condition of anonymity because the official isn't authorized to release it.

Despite the fact that the AP got to see the higher quality version with audio, the Ravens continue to insist they didn't.

manateepower
9/9/2014, 08:56 AM
The 1 year suspension it's almost saying it's ok to hit a woman.

*Face Palm*

cherokeebrewer
9/9/2014, 09:01 AM
Sheat you aint important enough fer the Posse to get after LOL

I try to be a decent person and live my life in a kinder & gentler way. If that makes me unimportant to you, I'm ok with that...

badger
9/9/2014, 09:11 AM
The 1 year suspension it's almost saying it's ok to hit a woman.
One year is a long time for a football player to sit out. It's especially tough when you're at a competitive position like RB in college (or at least at OU where we seem to get great RB recruits every year) and stick a fork in you when you turn 30 in the NFL.

In non-football terms, 1 year is probably longer than he would have gotten in a jail sentence, especially for the misdemeanor (not a felony) assault he was charged with.

Ton Loc
9/9/2014, 09:38 AM
One year is a long time for a football player to sit out. It's especially tough when you're at a competitive position like RB in college (or at least at OU where we seem to get great RB recruits every year) and stick a fork in you when you turn 30 in the NFL.

In non-football terms, 1 year is probably longer than he would have gotten in a jail sentence, especially for the misdemeanor (not a felony) assault he was charged with.

I'd say that 1 year not playing football vs any time in jail are not even a tiny bit comparable.

Kid messed up and has to pay the penalty. I don't know why they didn't just kick him off the team.

And that Ray Rice video stuff is ridiculous. Him dragging an unconscious body off an elevator wasn't enough for the NFL and the Ravens. Hypocrites all around. I find it beyond believable no one in the NFL or team saw the video before yesterday.

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2014, 10:37 AM
I'd say that 1 year not playing football vs any time in jail are not even a tiny bit comparable.

Kid messed up and has to pay the penalty. I don't know why they didn't just kick him off the team.

And that Ray Rice video stuff is ridiculous. Him dragging an unconscious body off an elevator wasn't enough for the NFL and the Ravens. Hypocrites all around. I find it beyond believable no one in the NFL or team saw the video before yesterday.

The charges are still pending, but my guess is there will be no jail time.

The kid is paying a penalty. My guess why Stoops didn't kick Mixon off the team is because he was 18 + 1 day old and had never really been on the team yet. No spring or fall camp, so he had not really live the "Stoops and OU" way.

Agree the NFL/Ravens are hypocrites. The punch had to be what was expected to knock her out, I don't understand why a video that just confirms that makes any difference. The same should be true for Mixon when his punch video goes public 11/1.

olevetonahill
9/9/2014, 12:27 PM
I try to be a decent person and live my life in a kinder & gentler way. If that makes me unimportant to you, I'm ok with that...

You go right ahead and be gentle and Kind. Just said you aint important enough to Invoke the wrath of the Posse. Wow get over yerself LOL

olevetonahill
9/9/2014, 12:30 PM

The charges are still pending, but my guess is there will be no jail time.

The kid is paying a penalty. My guess why Stoops didn't kick Mixon off the team is because he was 18 + 1 day old and had never really been on the team yet. No spring or fall camp, so he had not really live the "Stoops and OU" way.

Agree the NFL/Ravens are hypocrites. The punch had to be what was expected to knock her out, I don't understand why a video that just confirms that makes any difference. The same should be true for Mixon when his punch video goes public 11/1.

He Has been kicked off. He IS Allowed to stay in school on his own and come back next year . which he has chosen to do.

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2014, 12:36 PM
He Has been kicked off. He IS Allowed to stay in school on his own and come back next year . which he has chosen to do.

Semantics. I meant kicked off as in "wish him luck with his new team". Had he been even a redshirt FR, I think that would have been the case, but we'll never know.

jkjsooner
9/9/2014, 01:18 PM

The response should be somewhat symmetrical. I've been slapped by a girl before and that is assault but I never once considered knocking her out. At most I shoved her away and/or held her so she couldn't do the same again. That's all that was required under the circumstances to protect myself.

Ton Loc
9/9/2014, 01:21 PM
He Has been kicked off. He IS Allowed to stay in school on his own and come back next year. which he has chosen to do.

Well - **** on me. I've heard it a ton of different ways. I don't really care as its not my decision and really has no effect on my life...

but since this is a forum full of people's personal BS -

We have a ton of good to great RBs. We've never had a problem getting them. Tell Mixon peace out, hope you learn something, and let another school pick him up.

Same thing with Ray Rice. There are a ton of serviceable backs in the NFL that can replace him. Why go to all that trouble and risk to keep him around? He's a piece of **** and not that good to justify the position the NFL and Ravens took on him. Not that its that shocking. Winning and money is all the NFL cares about.

badger
9/9/2014, 01:38 PM
Putting all of the domestic violence issues aside, yet another well paid NFL running back's contract bites the dust. They don't take running backs in the first round anymore, they aren't highly sought after and highly paid free agents with large amounts of guaranteed money anymore, and to a higher degree than other NFL positions, they are out of jobs by the time they turn 30.

5 years, $35 million. That's the price Ray pays for being violent, because there's no way in hell any running back save Adrian Peterson is going to be paid that much per year in the NFL anymore. That's his stupid tax for being stupid. Walk away!

Sooner91ATL
9/9/2014, 01:58 PM
Aside from the vicious hit, what struck me most was the way he showed no concern for his fiance at all. As she lay motionless on the dirty elevator floor he just stood there chest puffed out. then he drug her like a laundry sack and splayed her out on the concrete face down with her skirt up her legs. No concern at all for her health, or her dignity. I guess this is love however, as she is defending him today. Or maybe she is defending the million$ lost? Why else would she defend a man who knocked her out and the whole world has seen it?

cherokeebrewer
9/9/2014, 02:03 PM
You go right ahead and be gentle and Kind. Just said you aint important enough to Invoke the wrath of the Posse. Wow get over yerself LOL

LOL

Sooner in Tampa
9/9/2014, 02:04 PM
Well - **** on me. I've heard it a ton of different ways. I don't really care as its not my decision and really has no effect on my life...

but since this is a forum full of people's personal BS -

We have a ton of good to great RBs. We've never had a problem getting them. Tell Mixon peace out, hope you learn something, and let another school pick him up.

Same thing with Ray Rice. There are a ton of serviceable backs in the NFL that can replace him. Why go to all that trouble and risk to keep him around? He's a piece of **** and not that good to justify the position the NFL and Ravens took on him. Not that its that shocking. Winning and money is all the NFL cares about.

Since we are throwing BS around...

First...the decision should not me made on how many RBs we have or don't have...the decision should be made on what is right and what is wrong.

Secondly, Rice and Mixon are apples to oranges. Rice is a fully grown *** man and this was his 'wife'...clearly a domestic case

Mixon was 18 y/o for all of 2 hrs and the situation was spontaneous lasted all of 5-10 seconds. Not a domestic case a bar room brew haha. The DA clearly stated if it were not a woman, he would not have pressed charges.

Finally, Stoops and Gundy presumable went to Mixon's house and sat with his parents and assured them that OU would take care of their son for the next 3/4 yrs. Not, we will take care of your son until it becomes inconvenient. Mixon is a teenager who should be afforded the opportunity to redeem himself...the university committed to him and he committed to the university.

Just my BS...

Sooner91ATL
9/9/2014, 02:18 PM
As soon as the video comes out Gloria Allred is going to be in Norman throwing Molitor Cocktails and demanding expulsion. The equation will be made that if the woman is hit, the punishment must fit.

Or more likely, just OU fans will discuss it ad nauseum and it will show up in some Bryant Gumbel segment about the rash of women beating in sports.

badger
9/9/2014, 02:50 PM
Why else would she defend a man who knocked her out and the whole world has seen it?

It was likely a mutually assured destruction decision --- neither of us gets to be millionaires if the other doesn't play their part. New wife must play the "I love you and am sorry" in public, NFL franchise running back must play the "good guy messed up and is sorry" in public. Don't you dare dump me baby, or I'll press charges and you'll go to jail. Don't you dare press charges on me baby, or you'll never sniff my millions.

I hope she at least didn't have to sign a prenup after that ordeal

Ton Loc
9/9/2014, 03:29 PM

First...the decision should not me made on how many RBs we have or don't have...the decision should be made on what is right and what is wrong.

Secondly, Rice and Mixon are apples to oranges. Rice is a fully grown *** man and this was his 'wife'...clearly a domestic case

Mixon was 18 y/o for all of 2 hrs and the situation was spontaneous lasted all of 5-10 seconds. Not a domestic case a bar room brew haha. The DA clearly stated if it were not a woman, he would not have pressed charges.

Finally, Stoops and Gundy presumable went to Mixon's house and sat with his parents and assured them that OU would take care of their son for the next 3/4 yrs. Not, we will take care of your son until it becomes inconvenient. Mixon is a teenager who should be afforded the opportunity to redeem himself...the university committed to him and he committed to the university.

Just my BS...

If I was to be honest - I have no need for either one of them. I was just looking at it from a football/business perspective.

Personally - I'd get rid of both of them.

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2014, 03:31 PM
It was likely a mutually assured destruction decision --- neither of us gets to be millionaires if the other doesn't play their part. New wife must play the "I love you and am sorry" in public, NFL franchise running back must play the "good guy messed up and is sorry" in public. Don't you dare dump me baby, or I'll press charges and you'll go to jail. Don't you dare press charges on me baby, or you'll never sniff my millions.

I hope she at least didn't have to sign a prenup after that ordeal

While all that's plausible, it doesn't seem to be the case here. These people have known each other since high school, so this doesn't appear to be the case of get married to buy his way out of trouble and then split later. Some couples are volatile to the point of violence and it's a difficult situation to handle. The court seemed to be doing what is typical on first time offenses - counseling plus a probation period. I don't understand the outrage over that approach as that's what they would do with a poor couple. If it's a one time drunken rage and they go on to raise a healthy family, the crime is society interfering. If it becomes a pattern of abuse and co-dependency, it a criminal situation with a victim. How can the court tell unless there is known history? No easy answers and I fully understand why so many cops hate responding to domestic violence calls.

EatLeadCommie
9/9/2014, 05:03 PM
I think it is important to note that a lot of the outrage over Mixon getting a year suspension was due to Ray Rice getting only 2 games for something that was significantly worse in that it involved a woman he was engaged to and no provocation that I can see.

Now that Ray Rice has been effectively ostracized by the public and fired by the NFL, that doesn't make Mixon's punishment fair to me, but it does even things out a bit.

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2014, 05:34 PM
I guess I don't get it. I would never think of comparing what the NFL does to what a public University does for player punishment. But I readily admit my brain seems works differently than most.

CK Sooner
9/10/2014, 01:24 AM

Punishment for Mixon is already set in stone. Stoops even commented on it after this Rice development and stated that the punishment given to Mixon was correct.

Jackwagon

CK Sooner
9/10/2014, 01:28 AM

If a redneck is somebody that can kick your azz, then the Posse must be the biggest rednecks around.

(not in posse)

cherokeebrewer
9/10/2014, 08:06 AM
If a redneck is somebody that can kick your azz, then the Posse must be the biggest rednecks around.

(not in posse)

Good grief, go to your room...

Tear Down This Wall
9/10/2014, 12:19 PM

Exactly.

However, Bob has begun to make it a habit of collecting women abusers and dope smokers/dealers as transfers. So, he wasn't ever going to cut Mixon loose.

Seems to me like the draw of playing at OU would appeal to enough great athletes that you wouldn't have to keep someone who is violent towards women on the team. But, Stoops apparently feels differently about it.

Tear Down This Wall
9/10/2014, 12:27 PM

Just my BS...

"Taking care of" their son shouldn't include excusing violence towards women. He should be sitting at home in California calling around to see if Fresno State or Boise State will take him.

Also, I don't recall OU staying committed to Jerry Parks and Charles Thompson after they "committed to the university" then committed crimes.

So, which is it? Because a kid commits to Oklahoma, we ignore all of his criminal activity while he's here? Or, do we go ahead, like adults, and give all commits a standard to live up to and toss them out if they can't live up to it.

FaninAma
9/10/2014, 12:41 PM

Again, matter ofpersonal opinion.

The biggest difference in the 2 cases isthat Ray Rice committed domestic violence against the woman who he professed to care about. Mixon hit a stranger who assaulted him first who just happened to be a woman.

A huge difference that seems to have escaped your keen observation skills.

Sooner in Tampa
9/10/2014, 12:47 PM
"Taking care of" their son shouldn't include excusing violence towards women. He should be sitting at home in California calling around to see if Fresno State or Boise State will take him.

Also, I don't recall OU staying committed to Jerry Parks and Charles Thompson after they "committed to the university" then committed crimes.

So, which is it? Because a kid commits to Oklahoma, we ignore all of his criminal activity while he's here? Or, do we go ahead, like adults, and give all commits a standard to live up to and toss them out if they can't live up to it.

TDTW...I am glad that the University is not as short sighted as you are when to comes to young men making mistakes.

I seriously doubt that suspending a kid for one year is "excusing violence towards women"...way to pour on the hyperbole...do your work for the four letter network?

Jerry Parks SHOT another player and Charles Thompson was selling cocaine...more hyperbole!! Lets compare apples to apples!!! All crimes are not created equal!

Mixon got into an altercation in a bar (Fact) Mixon overreacted (Fact) He hit a women in the face (Fact) If he had hit a man in the face, we would not be talking about this according the DA (Fact)

The facts are that Mixon was given a **** sammich with no bread and he took a bite when he should have tossed it away...he will pay for it by sitting out a year of college football to include ANY team activities. It may well ruin his career because a year off at his age can be detrimental to development when everybody else is still moving forward (if that is the case, so be it).

I don't expect the university to be committed to felons...apparently I need to elaborate for some of our fine posters. There are certain misgivings that can be punished and the player can be "serve his sentence" and there are misgivings that will earn you immediate dismissal...i.e. Metoyer.

Hitting a mouthy broad in a bar far is less egregious than shooting a teammate, or selling coke, or felony counts of indecent exposure...so lets just keep things in perspective here.

FaninAma
9/10/2014, 12:47 PM
Delete.

FaninAma
9/10/2014, 12:53 PM
So you are saying men and women aren't equal physically and it is a stupid idea to allow them in an activity where physical strength is of the utmost importance.

i agree.

Men shouldn't hit women..ever.
Women shouldn't hit men..ever.

FaninAma
9/10/2014, 12:59 PM
Exactly.

However, Bob has begun to make it a habit of collecting women abusers and dope smokers/dealers as transfers. So, he wasn't ever going to cut Mixon loose.

Seems to me like the draw of playing at OU would appeal to enough great athletes that you wouldn't have to keep someone who is violent towards women on the team. But, Stoops apparently feels differently about it.
Are you on crack? OU and Stoops have gone far beyond most other D-1 programs in terms of assuring appropriate behavior from all their football athletes. FSU ring a bell?

What a stupid blanket statement to make. You just threw hundreds of former and current upstanding players Stoops has coached and tutored under the bus. OU is very transparent with its aggressive enforcement of NCAA and University rules. Other programs cover this crap up. Bob Stoops is an excellentcaptain of the ship and you look silly making a statement like the one quoted.

yankee
9/10/2014, 02:53 PM
Consider me in the camp that would've been A-OK with Mixon getting the permanent boot from the football team and university.

No, it wasn't a domestic dispute, and no Mixon didn't drag Molitor's body around.

But he decked a girl who was much smaller than him, broke several bones in her face, he fled the scene, and it took her almost a full minute to get back up with the help of her friends.

"Men" who hit women are the lowest of the low in my book. And I put men in quotations because I question whether you are a real man if you hit a woman.

Can't stand people trying to make light of this situation.

badger
9/10/2014, 04:14 PM
Well guys, the sh!t is hitting the fan. (http://newsok.com/ap-newsbreak-source-says-rice-video-sent-to-nfl-in-april/article/5340712)

A sliver of me wanted to believe that TMZ pulled off something that the NFL didn't, much like the NBA, who has been dying for an excuse to dump Donald Sterling for decades who finally got their TMZ gift.

Who would have thought this would be what ended Roger Goodell. I was thinking it would be concussions or player-owner relations.

FaninAma
9/10/2014, 04:33 PM
Goodell worshipped at the altar of political correctness. It is somehow fitting that his career will be sacrificed on that altar. I wonder how many more scalps the media will get before interest in this dies down.

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2014, 04:35 PM
Disclaimer: I have never hit or contemplated hitting a women in my life

All this anguish over the Ray Rice video is totally perplexing to me. The video of him dragging her limp body out of the elevator has been public from day one and it was known she got that way via a punch. So now a video of the punch changes everything? Do people not know what a punch is unless it is shown in pictures? So the message here is that it is ok to wail on your girlfriend as long as it's not caught on video. If she just shows up at the ER with a shiner, you're good to go. I guess print is dead and if it's not on youtube, it's not real (and with CGI these days, it might not be real there either).

FaninAma
9/10/2014, 04:47 PM
Consider me in the camp that would've been A-OK with Mixon getting the permanent boot from the football team and university.

No, it wasn't a domestic dispute, and no Mixon didn't drag Molitor's body around.

But he decked a girl who was much smaller than him, broke several bones in her face, he fled the scene, and it took her almost a full minute to get back up with the help of her friends.

"Men" who hit women are the lowest of the low in my book. And I put men in quotations because I question whether you are a real man if you hit a woman.

He shouldn't have hit the girl despite the provocation. So how severley should this 18 year old be made to suffer for this heat of the moment trangression? No football ever? No scholarship from OU or any other program? Perhaps a public flogging will suffice.

No second chances ever for anybody. If you want to see how well the total hard-*** approach works we need to look no further than the program in Austin. I fully expect that situation to reach full melt down mode pretty soon.

I am not advocating sweeping anything under the rug but at some point those who want to keep piling on these young men eventually reveal that they have an agenda that has no regard for fairness or second chances. I am far from a bleeding heart liberal but I also dislike how administrators blow back and forth around in the winds of political correctness.

SoonerorLater
9/10/2014, 05:31 PM
How about football both college and pro stay out of law enforcement matters and law enforcement will stay out football?

EatLeadCommie
9/10/2014, 08:08 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how a year away from football somehow gives the impression that it's ok to hit a woman. Or that half a season suspension does. Or that even two games does (granted, 2 games may have been a bit light for Ray Rice).

Both are a far bigger punishment than what the law gave him. Seems to me that if one is going to destroy a person's life, it should be the law that does it and not the court of public opinion or women's right's advocates who really have no interest in anything reasonable unless reasonable consists of making the man a eunuch as a compromise.

Pride1Mom
9/11/2014, 08:47 AM
I have read all of these arguments, and everyone is forgetting that it is against the law to hit ANYONE! It is called assault and battery. A person has to know how to control oneself and if a situation is not good, LEAVE! Thinking through the consequences will usually make a person realize to NOT respond to something that will only escalate into something worse.

badger
9/11/2014, 09:07 AM
So now a video of the punch changes everything?

It really does in the court of public opinion. The NFL has had countless players accused of assault, but in previous cases, there wasn't this tape for ESPN and others to play over and over and scream "two ****ing games?! you suspended him for two ****ing games?!"

Consider: Donald Sterling was a known racist for decades. He's been successfully sued for his discriminatory housing practices and made athletes uncomfortable with his comments as he paraded guests through team showers. But, that was all heresay and people couldn't see/hear that for themselves. Suddenly, TMZ produces a tape of him acting the way he all suspected he was but had no definitive proof. Ban him for life, NBA!!!!

olevetonahill
9/11/2014, 09:12 AM

I have read all of these arguments, and everyone is forgetting that
it is against the law to hit ANYONE! It is called assault and battery. A person has to know how to control oneself and if a situation is not good, LEAVE! Thinking through the consequences will usually make a person realize to NOT respond to something that will only escalate into something worse.

Then why wasnt that Skank charged? By all reports SHE hit him twice Before he touched her.
Personally I think this crap has been talked to death.

Tear Down This Wall
9/11/2014, 10:18 AM
Are you on crack? OU and Stoops have gone far beyond most other D-1 programs in terms of assuring appropriate behavior from all their football athletes. FSU ring a bell?

What a stupid blanket statement to make. You just threw hundreds of former and current upstanding players Stoops has coached and tutored under the bus. OU is very transparent with its aggressive enforcement of NCAA and University rules. Other programs cover this crap up. Bob Stoops is an excellentcaptain of the ship and you look silly making a statement like the one quoted.

No, Stoops throws them under the bus by making exceptions and fighting for criminals.

Tear Down This Wall
9/11/2014, 10:21 AM
TDTW...I am glad that the University is not as short sighted as you are when to comes to young men making mistakes.

I seriously doubt that suspending a kid for one year is "excusing violence towards women"...way to pour on the hyperbole...do your work for the four letter network?

Jerry Parks SHOT another player and Charles Thompson was selling cocaine...more hyperbole!! Lets compare apples to apples!!! All crimes are not created equal!

Mixon got into an altercation in a bar (Fact) Mixon overreacted (Fact) He hit a women in the face (Fact) If he had hit a man in the face, we would not be talking about this according the DA (Fact)

The facts are that Mixon was given a **** sammich with no bread and he took a bite when he should have tossed it away...he will pay for it by sitting out a year of college football to include ANY team activities. It may well ruin his career because a year off at his age can be detrimental to development when everybody else is still moving forward (if that is the case, so be it).

I don't expect the university to be committed to felons...apparently I need to elaborate for some of our fine posters. There are certain misgivings that can be punished and the player can be "serve his sentence" and there are misgivings that will earn you immediate dismissal...i.e. Metoyer.

Hitting a mouthy broad in a bar far is less egregious than shooting a teammate, or selling coke, or felony counts of indecent exposure...so lets just keep things in perspective here.

I'm sorry. I forgot about San Jose State. Add San Jose State to the list of Fresno State and Boise State that Joe Mixon should be sitting at home calling for a second chance.

Tear Down This Wall
9/11/2014, 10:29 AM

Maybe the first time in my life I've agreed with something a yankee has said. Well said, yankee.

I'll add that merely suspending him for the season is a joke because it is only equal to the punishment given in the past for players with academic shortcomings.

So, skip classes to the point of failure or knock out a woman = the same punishment at OU. Whether anyone of the woman beating defenders here wants to admit it, that's what the reality of it is.

Not crazy about that.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 10:38 AM
It (video of the punch) really does in the court of public opinion. The NFL has had countless players accused of assault, but in previous cases, there wasn't this tape for ESPN and others to play over and over and scream "two ****ing games?! you suspended him for two ****ing games?!"

I kind of get that. But in this case, there was a video of the aftermath of the punch shown from day one. And there had been an outcry about the short suspension before the 2nd video was released. I thought Rice dragging her like a sack of flour was the disturbing part as it didn't take much imagination to envision how she got that way. But then the 2nd video comes out and it suddenly changes everything. Rice gets fired, there is a Watergate like investigation of who knew what and when, folks are calling for Goodell to be fired and so on. The mind boggles.

I guess that means there will be a miniature sh*t storm when the Mixon tape gets released on 11/1. It won't matter that we've heard every account from witnesses and read the police report. All the media types that have seen the tape describe it the same way too. But that court of public opinion can't read, so it won't sink in until the video hits TMZ. Sigh.

Maybe the other reason the Rice thing escalated now is because football is in season now and it was offseason when the event happened. When the Mixon tape goes live, it will happen right after the first committee rankings are published and the battle for the top 4 spots is in high gear and (hopefully) OU is right there at the top. Wonderful.

Tear Down This Wall
9/11/2014, 10:39 AM
It really does in the court of public opinion. The NFL has had countless players accused of assault, but in previous cases, there wasn't this tape for ESPN and others to play over and over and scream "two ****ing games?! you suspended him for two ****ing games?!"

Consider: Donald Sterling was a known racist for decades. He's been successfully sued for his discriminatory housing practices and made athletes uncomfortable with his comments as he paraded guests through team showers. But, that was all heresay and people couldn't see/hear that for themselves. Suddenly, TMZ produces a tape of him acting the way he all suspected he was but had no definitive proof. Ban him for life, NBA!!!!

Sad, isn't it? The league protects its owner and players until something serious happens. Then, it still tries to defend them...until overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing is unearthed.

Same in college football, not just here. I'm just sad that it now happens here. You always want the university and its athletic department that you support to be a cut above in all areas on and off the field.

Before this summer, I believed OU was. The Dorial Green-Beckham thing really began to change my mind. Did we, on paper, need help at receiver for 2014? Yes, possibly. But, to the point where we roll the red carpet out for a criminal with multiple arrests for drugs and known abuser of a woman?

Then, Mixon breaking the girl's face and, as we learned from Bob Stoops yesterday, they haven't even bothered to view the tape. Not interested. Got other more important things to do than try to get to the bottom of one of his players knocking out a female student. Once the law forced his hand by going ahead with charges, they suspended him for the year.

Disheartening. No reason to bring on Green-Beckham in the first place. And, no good reason to keep Mixon. This isn't a program so starved for talent that it should be ignoring physical abuse of women for the sake of one player.

SoonerPride
9/11/2014, 10:54 AM

um, it is not a FACT that Mixon was in a bar. It was a sandwich shop..... and that's a FACT.

freshchris05
9/11/2014, 11:58 AM
Sad, isn't it? The league protects its owner and players until something serious happens. Then, it still tries to defend them...until overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing is unearthed.

Same in college football, not just here. I'm just sad that it now happens here. You always want the university and its athletic department that you support to be a cut above in all areas on and off the field.

Before this summer, I believed OU was. The Dorial Green-Beckham thing really began to change my mind. Did we, on paper, need help at receiver for 2014? Yes, possibly. But, to the point where we roll the red carpet out for a criminal with multiple arrests for drugs and known abuser of a woman?

Then, Mixon breaking the girl's face and, as we learned from Bob Stoops yesterday, they haven't even bothered to view the tape. Not interested. Got other more important things to do than try to get to the bottom of one of his players knocking out a female student. Once the law forced his hand by going ahead with charges, they suspended him for the year.

Disheartening. No reason to bring on Green-Beckham in the first place. And, no good reason to keep Mixon. This isn't a program so starved for talent that it should be ignoring physical abuse of women for the sake of one player.

I agree that men shouldn't hit women. I wish he would have reacted better. But have you ever posted anything on this site that wasn't just a bunch of bitching/whining?

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/424/858/2c3/resized/obama-meme-generator-stop-bitching-bro-584678.jpg?1324340525.jpg

ps. get off my lawn.

olevetonahill
9/11/2014, 12:03 PM
I agree that men shouldn't hit women. I wish he would have reacted better. But have you ever posted anything on this site that wasn't just a bunch of bitching/whining?

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/424/858/2c3/resized/obama-meme-generator-stop-bitching-bro-584678.jpg?1324340525.jpg

ps. get off my lawn.

Heres His Pic
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwuXVwxd26K-GdZQNnAp7hNov64-4Wzcgie0Gt_4q5WMh30D-t

badger
9/11/2014, 12:59 PM
Can we all agree that Saturday needs to hurry up and get here so we can talk football again instead of not-football? :(

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 01:21 PM
Can we all agree that Saturday needs to hurry up and get here so we can talk football again instead of not-football? :(

Heck, I wish Friday would get here so I can wear my TGIF! T-shirt. (And I'm taking off early).

And I think there are games on tonight!

badger
9/11/2014, 01:31 PM
There are games tonight, but... brace yourself, we're about to pull Ray Rice back into this Ray Rice thread.

OMG THE BALTIMORE RAVENS CUT RAY RICE EARLIER THIS WEEK RABBLE RABBLE TMZ VIDEO RABBLE RABBLE THREW A PUNCH AND DRAGGED HER OUT SPITTLE SPITTLE RABBLE RABBLE... who are going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Sooners-related because everyone's favorite meerkat
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv53/sportscardradio/sportscardradio5/4b9ed776-2a04-4419-b6b1-8419e8f88966_zpsaf953e32.jpg

SoonerorLater
9/11/2014, 01:45 PM
Hey it ain't over til it's over. NBA Paul George is jumping on board. (a translator may be required)

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/paul-george-ray-rice-defense-pacers-forward-091114

I imagine the NBA will need to suspend Paul for a few games after he comes back from his injury.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 01:54 PM
There are games tonight, but... brace yourself, we're about to pull Ray Rice back into this Ray Rice thread.

OMG THE BALTIMORE RAVENS CUT RAY RICE EARLIER THIS WEEK RABBLE RABBLE TMZ VIDEO RABBLE RABBLE THREW A PUNCH AND DRAGGED HER OUT SPITTLE SPITTLE RABBLE RABBLE... who are going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Sooners-related because everyone's favorite meerkat
http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv53/sportscardradio/sportscardradio5/4b9ed776-2a04-4419-b6b1-8419e8f88966_zpsaf953e32.jpg

LJ lookin' good holding down the best job in the NFL - backup QB. Money, travel and no concussions.

EatLeadCommie
9/11/2014, 02:35 PM
Maybe the first time in my life I've agreed with something a yankee has said. Well said, yankee.

I'll add that merely suspending him for the season is a joke because it is only equal to the punishment given in the past for players with academic shortcomings.

So, skip classes to the point of failure or knock out a woman = the same punishment at OU. Whether anyone of the woman beating defenders here wants to admit it, that's what the reality of it is.

Not crazy about that.

Don't be obtuse. You can't play college football if you fail college courses and are academically ineligible. But you also don't have to deal with Johnny Law when you're declared academically ineligible. In both cases, the removal of football for a year is a serious punishment for a player whose future may involve playing the sport professionally. In only one case is there the additional cloud of Johnny Law hanging over a player's head. Broyles, Dusty D (who, IMO, shouldn't have been let back on the team), and now Mixon.

All this woman beating crap is mostly just hyperbole, but I understand it because a lot of people grew up with dads who were grade A jerkoffs and beat up their mothers. And the male children who grew up in such environments ended up either being vociferously opposed to hitting women under any circumstance or vociferous woman beaters themselves. But let's not lose perspective. Not all woman beatings are created equal. Ray Rice laid into his GF/now wife with seemingly no provocation. The mother of his children. His friend and confidante. If anything, the Ray Rice situation more closely resembles the Dusty D situation. Mixon was in a situation where he didn't know a girl and she got up in his face and got physical and got popped. Now I wouldn't have reacted the same way and would be ashamed if I had because I wasn't brought up that way, but it's not entirely unjustified. People just get hung up on the fact that he's a guy and that the force was so disproportionate. It reminds me of Hamas pissing off Israel and then crying when they get their *** kicked.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2014, 03:05 PM
Hamas firing rockets into a city and killing civilians vs. a woman slapping a man. Excellent analogy!

Statalyzer
9/11/2014, 07:52 PM
Ravens Cut Rice after video emerges. Turns out it's not cool to hit women.

Turns out it's ok to hit women as long as nobody sees video on it, but merely hears a description of the event that contains the same information as the video.

SoonerorLater
9/11/2014, 08:55 PM
Now US Senators are jumping on board. Remember when the NFL was about playing football? Now they are fast becoming agents of social change. I say fire Roger Goodell and bring Barbara Boxer on board to straighten out the NFL and bring it into line with something more to her liking.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11507478/sixteen-female-senators-send-letter-roger-goodell-calling-zero-tolerance

EatLeadCommie
9/11/2014, 09:07 PM
Most of those clowns want Goodell fired because of the initial 2 game suspension. I want him gone because he was too much of a wimp to stick to his guns and violated player's rights by issuing 2 punishments for the same thing. If he had let the Ravens just waive him and not jumped in with his made-up indefinite suspension, that would've been fine and served his purpose.

SoonerorLater
9/11/2014, 09:12 PM
Hey it ain't over til it's over. NBA Paul George is jumping on board. (a translator may be required)

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/paul-george-ray-rice-defense-pacers-forward-091114

I imagine the NBA will need to suspend Paul for a few games after he comes back from his injury.

Yep already being condemned. The PC crowd must be happy.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/indiana-pacers-chastise-paul-george-for-tweets-about-ray-rice-domestic-violence-091114

yankee
9/17/2014, 02:27 PM
He shouldn't have hit the girl despite the provocation. So how severley should this 18 year old be made to suffer for this heat of the moment trangression? No football ever? No scholarship from OU or any other program? Perhaps a public flogging will suffice.

No second chances ever for anybody. If you want to see how well the total hard-*** approach works we need to look no further than the program in Austin. I fully expect that situation to reach full melt down mode pretty soon.

I am not advocating sweeping anything under the rug but at some point those who want to keep piling on these young men eventually reveal that they have an agenda that has no regard for fairness or second chances. I am far from a bleeding heart liberal but I also dislike how administrators blow back and forth around in the winds of political correctness.

Been out of the country for a bit, so sorry to bring up an "old" subject...Come November 1st, it'll all be brought up again anyway though.

I don't understand you trying to justify this because it was in the heat of the moment. People do stupid **** all the time during the heat of the moment, and they typically pay for it.

And it appears you've come to the conclusion that I'm in the no second chances for anyone club, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

I have a feeling that if this was the daughter of a lot of the guys in here, things would sound a bit different.

And they wouldn't be calling her by 'skank' either.