Judge Smails
9/6/2014, 09:03 PM
34-0 in the 3rd quarter.

4 BYU TD's in the 3rd quarter.

hornfans and shaggy both shutdown.

LOL.

flysooner9
9/6/2014, 09:05 PM
I've hardly been able to stop laughing the second half.

salth2o
9/6/2014, 09:15 PM
Heh. Teh Whorns are teh succ.

Eielson
9/6/2014, 09:15 PM
It's almost not funny anymore. They haven't been good since the roomies left.

BigTip
9/6/2014, 09:17 PM
They haven't been good since the roomies left.

Roomies?

Is that the latest acceptable euphemism?

8timechamps
9/6/2014, 09:18 PM
The whorns have some major issues, and it starts with the offensive line. Swoopes really don't look too bad for his first real action, but the line is terrible.

The defense played decent enough in the first half, but you can't do the whole 3-and-out thing consistently and expect the defense to hold up all night.

It's going to be along year in Austin, and even though this is a new regime, I'm sure there will be fans calling for his head soon.

Judge Smails
9/6/2014, 09:19 PM
Bring Back Mack!
Bring Back Mack!
Bring Back Mack!
Bring Back Mack!

Eielson
9/6/2014, 09:26 PM
It's going to be along year in Austin, and even though this is a new regime, I'm sure there will be fans calling for his head soon.

I'm starting to wonder how many coaches will get fired before they have a 10 win season. The cool thing about this is that every 3-4 years Texas will conveniently double all our competitions' coaching salaries again.

SoCalBigRed
9/6/2014, 09:26 PM
Oh wow... had a birthday lunch and errands to run. Came home and was watching VT beat up on toSu.

This is too funny.

C'mon VT... don't give toSU some momentum.

Piware
9/6/2014, 09:30 PM
It's September 6, 2014 and Texas still SUCKS!

sendbaht
9/6/2014, 09:33 PM
Strong is going to kick a few more off the team after this game..

SoCalBigRed
9/6/2014, 09:37 PM
Strong is not going to last in texas.

He's not going to turn anything around at this rate. His dismissals will turn into defections, will turn into rejections.

2 - 3 years, at most.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/6/2014, 09:39 PM
Strong is going to kick a few more off the team after this game..Burnt orange getting absolutely PUNKED!

lexsooner
9/6/2014, 09:40 PM
This is the reason to subscribe to the Longhorn Network - post game pressers, interviews, excuse making, sunshine pumping analysis.

sendbaht
9/6/2014, 09:54 PM
This is the reason to subscribe to the Longhorn Network - post game pressers, interviews, excuse making, sunshine pumping analysis.

LOL

8timechamps
9/6/2014, 09:57 PM
I'm starting to wonder how many coaches will get fired before they have a 10 win season. The cool thing about this is that every 3-4 years Texas will conveniently double all our competitions' coaching salaries again.

Yep. Strong isn't the coach that's going to get them 'back', he's the coach before the coach before the coach that will get them 'back'.

Judge Smails
9/6/2014, 09:57 PM
I just tuned into the LHN for the first time.

Why do I feel like I need to take a shower?

Piware
9/6/2014, 10:00 PM
Is that Shipley kid ever going to graduate? First his brother and it seems like this one has been there longer than Mack.

bluedogok
9/6/2014, 10:03 PM
LHN isn't a subscription network....they might have more viewers if it was.

I give Strong two years, his "standoffish" nature has already irritated many boosters who feel they are entitled to be more involved in the program. Mack may not have won as much as they wanted but he did make them feel like they were part of the program. He knew that gave him a much longer leash than a guy who treats the big money donors like cancer.

SoonerorLater
9/6/2014, 10:10 PM
I put this problem squarely on the AD. Never should have hired Strong.

Judge Smails
9/6/2014, 10:13 PM
Strong just took full responsibility at his post game presser.

Said he told the team before the game they weren't ready to play and they could get embarrassed. That doesn't sound like a very inspiring moment.

Judge Smails
9/6/2014, 10:14 PM
Why is the TT/UTEP game starting so late? 11:00PM ET in El Paso? WTF?

okiewaker
9/6/2014, 10:16 PM
I'm in the camp that thinks Strong is not going to last. With all this "cleaning house" he might be going overboard. Prolly setn the horns back several more years.

SoonerorLater
9/6/2014, 10:18 PM

Said he told the team before the game they weren't ready to play and they could get embarrassed. That doesn't sound like a very inspiring moment.

Well I suppose that is to be expected when you kick one player after another off the team.

Wishboned
9/6/2014, 10:26 PM

It's definitely no "win one for the Gipper" type speech.

bluedogok
9/6/2014, 10:26 PM
Why is the TT/UTEP game starting so late? 11:00PM ET in El Paso? WTF?
Most of the September games in El Paso start later.

Colorado State just got hit with a "targeting" penalty when the QB was falling down right in front of him.

bluedogok
9/6/2014, 10:27 PM
I think that Strong might be their "Schnellenberger hire"

nanimonai
9/6/2014, 10:33 PM

Texas is going to become Michigan. Big program with all the resources in the world and they just can't get it together and find a coach.

I have no problem with this.

SoonerorLater
9/6/2014, 10:34 PM

I hope you're right. I can't wait for the whorns to go into full John Blake mode.

9/6/2014, 11:04 PM
Texas is going to become Michigan. Big program with all the resources in the world and they just can't get it together and find a coach.

I have no problem with this.Hear hear!

9/6/2014, 11:05 PM
I hope you're right. I can't wait for the whorns to go into full John Blake mode.

He's prolly available. He should interview.

yermom
9/6/2014, 11:06 PM
where is the "miss me yet?" Mack Brown meme?

i still think running him off was very short sighted.

SoonerorLater
9/6/2014, 11:12 PM
All of this my way or the highway BS just doesn't work if you want to win football games. The chest beating always sounds great until you have to look at the scoreboard.

bluedogok
9/6/2014, 11:12 PM

I have no problem with this.
All the national media fawns over the job because of the money and resources but they don't understand what the job entails. They don't need a "hard assed coach" type of head coach, they need a CEO head coach who can hire good coaches and recruiters. The job of head coach there is much more political than almost anywhere else because everything in Texas is driven by politics of some kind and placating those program boosters who think they are "entitled" to special treatment. That is why if Mack was perfect for the job if he could have made good assistant coach hires.

The interesting thing about next weeks game, remember Rout 66 when UCLA came in and beat UT 66-3 pretty much ending Mackovic's Texas career. It was in Austin on September 13, 1997, guess what the date of next weeks game in Austin against UCLA is......

ESPN.com - Mackovic's UT coaching career doomed in 66-3 loss (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2220/mackovic-s-ut-coaching-career-doomed-in-66-3-loss)

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2014, 11:17 PM
All of this my way or the highway BS just doesn't work if you want to win football games. The chest beating always sounds great until you have to look at the scoreboard.

Totally agree. Discipline is certainly required, but it should be something like "we're doing things my way, but when we do, it's going to be great for everyone!"

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2014, 11:35 PM
Lots of good stuff on shaggy, but this prose jumped out at me:

I'm gonna go shave my ball sack.

JLEW1818
9/6/2014, 11:36 PM
where is the "miss me yet?" Mack Brown meme?

i still think running him off was very short sighted.

But it sure was fun to watch

BoulderSooner79
9/6/2014, 11:41 PM
I really think UT should put up a bronze statue of that BYU QB out of respect.

Okie35
9/7/2014, 01:55 AM
They'll beat an overrated ucla team and all will be well for a while

East Coast Bias
9/7/2014, 04:58 AM
He reminds me of Greg Schiano and we all know how that ended. His comments at the press conference are not the kind of comments that promote a winning attitude. I am sure the emotions of losing were part of this but he would have been better to say we worked hard and came up short and will be back strong next week. Isn't having the team ready to play really his job anyway??

yermom
9/7/2014, 09:08 AM
i'm just going to save this here for later:

http://cdn.meme.li/instances/500x/54117192.jpg

Speck
9/7/2014, 09:25 AM
The funny thing is on the Shag they are blaming their poor players on the conference.

ouduckhunter
9/7/2014, 11:12 AM
Should be entire sections of cheap whorn tickets available for the Red River beat down.

BermudaSooner
9/7/2014, 11:24 AM
Their likely record given how crap they are:

NTU - W
BYU - L
UCLA - L
KU - W
Baylor - L
OU - L
ISU - Pick em
KSU - L
TTech - Pick em
WVU - Pick em
OSU - L
TCU - L

They very well could end up with 2 wins. More than likely, 4-8 or 5-7. It looks like it would be a miracle for them to get to 6-6. Coming into the RRR, they should be 2-3....lucky if we even get on national TV. Good news is, maybe we won't have an 11:00 am kick-off.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2014, 12:45 PM
They'll beat an overrated ucla team and all will be well for a while

This wouldn't surprise me a bit - UCLA has been struggling out of the gate. It would be great for a poor UT team to beat them and then they beat USC at the end of the season.

SoonerMarkVA
9/7/2014, 09:08 PM
Boy, ESPN doesn't even have the game highlights up. Instead, they have Strong's freakin' post-game presser! I have never seen a game recap where they didn't have highlights. ESPN's playing damage control here.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2014, 09:23 PM
ESPN should have John Saunders and Mack Brown cover the highlights and Saunders could burn Brown again.

"Mack, this UT squad may be worse than yours from last season."

BetterSoonerThanLater
9/7/2014, 10:48 PM
Easy there... We said the same thing last year and look how that turned out.

Let's just enjoy the Texas suck age, and remain cautiously optimistic about the rrs :)

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2014, 10:55 PM

Let's just enjoy the Texas suck age, and remain cautiously optimistic about the rrs :)

LOL - not all of us said the same thing last season. With the way we finished last season, folks forget how much OUr guys struggled the first half of last season. I bet on the horns after the TCU game which we would have lost had TCU not been totally inept on offense. This year *is* different. Yes, they could win because anything can happen on a given day, but we will be the better team this time.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/7/2014, 11:12 PM
The funny thing is on the Shag they are blaming their poor players on the conference.

It isn't the conference, its the fact that kids out of Texas haven't been very good. We've suffered the same thing but our saving grace is that 100% of our players haven't been from Texas.

9/8/2014, 02:02 AM
...Saunders could burn Brown again.

"Mack, this UT squad may be worse than yours from last season."Did he, no shiite, say that?!!? That line is SUCH a abeauty!

Jerk
9/8/2014, 02:24 AM
Mack was not a bad coach. Hell, he won a NC. They should've kept him.

ashley
9/8/2014, 06:36 AM
Making the team move back into dorms is going to hurt recruiting.

thecrimsoncrusader
9/8/2014, 06:49 AM

Except this year, Oklahoma has a lot less issues than last year, Texas has more issues than last year, the Oklahoma players won't be in the mindset that they blew out Texas the previous two seasons and witnessed Texas getting blasted by both BYU and Ole Miss before that game.

Oklahoma was lackadaisical against Texas last season and that includes the coaches (offensive game-plan) and players (Clay dropping that pass in the end-zone completely uncovered). Oklahoma will be out for blood and will most likely get it. Texas is going to wish they wouldn't have won last season.

deweydw
9/8/2014, 08:18 AM
They looked decent in the first half. But that 3rd qt, I was lmao! I was still laughing by the end of the game.

And Mack is laughing all the way to the bank.

KantoSooner
9/8/2014, 08:33 AM
Let's not lose focus on the crux of the biscuit: Texas is total suck.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 09:34 AM
ESPN should have John Saunders and Mack Brown cover the highlights and Saunders could burn Brown again.

"Mack, this UT squad may be worse than yours from last season."

Did he, no shiite, say that?!!? That line is SUCH a abeauty!

No, just my idea of how he could follow-up on the first burn. Establish an ESPN pecking order perhaps.

badger
9/8/2014, 09:39 AM
Texas should do what every other meh Big 12 program who is desperate for national relevance does:

Join the SEC :rcmad:

dwarthog
9/8/2014, 10:12 AM
Nobody does a meltdown quite like UT fans and shaggybevo. Some classic stuff.

KantoSooner
9/8/2014, 10:29 AM
Still don't get why they're melting down. They didn't even play in a game this past weekend.

stoopified
9/8/2014, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Piware;4837112]It's September 6, 2014 and Texas still SUCKS![/QUOT Not getting too carried away yet.I rcall how bad UT looked last year just BEFORE they kicked our butts..

TheHumanAlphabet
9/8/2014, 12:35 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall us melting down and turning off the website... Maybe, but don't recall. To that, I think the whorns meltdown is hilarious and love reading about it...However, after suffering through the Blake and Smellzofbourbon years, I do feel for them - just a little...

Salt City Sooner
9/8/2014, 01:48 PM
Grover's got a bead on it.....:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UeQZUJ_PKA&feature=share

dwarthog
9/8/2014, 02:48 PM

That's some funny stuff!

SoonerPride
9/8/2014, 04:32 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about our game this year.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 04:42 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about our game this year.

I'll wait until game week to gauge my optimism, but I like the long term forecast, FWIW.

salth2o
9/8/2014, 04:45 PM

That's some funny stuff!

Uh huh.

8timechamps
9/8/2014, 04:52 PM
I've witnessed too many RRR in which the better team lost, so I'm not assuming anything. What I am doing is marveling at the moronic nature of most horns fans.

Never gets old.

cvsooner
9/8/2014, 05:28 PM
I've witnessed too many RRR in which the better team lost, so I'm not assuming anything.

Yeah. This. On the other hand, I'm sure some serious major reminders will be coming OUr way in the week leading up to. First we have get by Tenn, then a dangerous WVU group in Morgantown AND go face the Fightin' Torny Hoads in Ft. Worth, and Patterson will have his guys ready. Entering a tough slate of games, I think, especially with three road trips in four weeks.

ashley
9/8/2014, 08:03 PM
I coached for a almost forty years and I can tell you that no coach can tell for sure when his team is ready to play or if they are not. They will fool you a lot. Strong is full of bull.

8timechamps
9/8/2014, 08:19 PM
Yeah. This. On the other hand, I'm sure some serious major reminders will be coming OUr way in the week leading up to. First we have get by Tenn, then a dangerous WVU group in Morgantown AND go face the Fightin' Torny Hoads in Ft. Worth, and Patterson will have his guys ready. Entering a tough slate of games, I think, especially with three road trips in four weeks.

I do firmly believe this team will enter every game with a business-like mentality, so I don't foresee a letdown like last year in Dallas. But, when the ball gets kicked off in the Cotton Bowl, crazy things can and have happened.

Not that it makes any difference to the team (which it doesn't), but I can't look past a single game. Other than maybe Kansas, any team in the conference can pull the upset.

yermom
9/8/2014, 08:27 PM
everyone just felt like Blake could get it done after handling Notre Dame the way we did in South Bend.

they just came out and punched us in the mouth, and when it looked like we might be able to catch up, they would make a big play, or we would just not get there on offense.

so frustrating, especially after the Sugar Bowl and seeing what BYU did to them again.

8timechamps
9/8/2014, 08:36 PM
everyone just felt like Blake could get it done after handling Notre Dame the way we did in South Bend.

they just came out and punched us in the mouth, and when it looked like we might be able to catch up, they would make a big play, or we would just not get there on offense.

so frustrating, especially after the Sugar Bowl and seeing what BYU did to them again.

I've never been a "FIRE COACH X" guy, but I did/do question some of the offensive game-planning that went into that game last year. We were definitely capable of running the ball right at them, but that didn't seem to be the plan. And like you said, every time we looked like we might be back in it, they made a play.

I have no doubt that we are the better team. But, we were the better team last year too.

manateepower
9/8/2014, 09:22 PM

I had a really nice laugh. Thanks man!

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2014, 09:44 PM
I've never been a "FIRE COACH X" guy, but I did/do question some of the offensive game-planning that went into that game last year. We were definitely capable of running the ball right at them, but that didn't seem to be the plan. And like you said, every time we looked like we might be back in it, they made a play.

I have no doubt that we are the better team. But, we were the better team last year too.

I respectfully disagree. We may have had more potential, but at that time of the season and those particular match-ups, we were not better yet. This year should be different, given any set of normal circumstances. (I don't want to taunt the football gods with the "I" word which can always change everything.)

KantoSooner
9/9/2014, 09:20 AM
Last year, frankly, OU was a very spotty team. You'd see flashes, but then they'd turn around and do the most amazingly dumbass things. We didn't really play a complete game until the Sugar Bowl.
This year's edition seems much more consistent. The highs aren't necessarily higher, but, so far, the bonehead mistakes have been vastly reduced.

cherokeebrewer
9/9/2014, 09:35 AM
I've never been a "FIRE COACH X" guy, but I did/do question some of the offensive game-planning that went into that game last year. We were definitely capable of running the ball right at them, but that didn't seem to be the plan.

Not only that but the defensive game plan also seemed flawed. I expected us to put a lot of pressure on McCoy, but we never did...

picasso
9/9/2014, 10:38 AM
We woulda spanked them in November. The team last season was on a roller coaster.

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2014, 10:44 AM
We woulda spanked them in November. The team last season was on a roller coaster.

This exactly. The team that lost in Oct. was the exact same team that squeaked by TCU the week before - it was no fluke. This year's squad looks much more seasoned and disciplined and the D-line play is on a much higher level. If the young DBs and WRs just progress each game, OUr guys should be ready for Baylor and the playoffs by year's end.

8timechamps
9/9/2014, 02:38 PM
I respectfully disagree. We may have had more potential, but at that time of the season and those particular match-ups, we were not better yet. This year should be different, given any set of normal circumstances. (I don't want to taunt the football gods with the "I" word which can always change everything.)

We'll agree to disagree.

I don't think our offense was playing to the level we were capable (and eventually saw), but defensively, we were the better team. I believe the team got caught reading their own press clippings. Everyone in the country was talking about how much of a blow-out it was going to be, and the team played like they believed the same.

Either way, I don't think there's any question who the better team is this year, they just have to show up.

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2014, 03:58 PM
We'll agree to disagree.

I don't think our offense was playing to the level we were capable (and eventually saw), but defensively, we were the better team. I believe the team got caught reading their own press clippings. Everyone in the country was talking about how much of a blow-out it was going to be, and the team played like they believed the same.

Either way, I don't think there's any question who the better team is this year, they just have to show up.

I think we are saying the same thing even though we agree to disagree :) I said we had more potential and you said we we're not playing to our capability (similar?). But I look at the ULM, WVU, TCU and UT games and I see the same team and level of play. ND was the exception and even there the 2 early defensive TD really set the tone for us and it was a better match-up too. Thank goodness for Tommy Ries. I just don't see us getting it done against UT until we had the more mature TK at the helm (and I'm a big Blake Bell fan, but…).

lexsooner
9/9/2014, 07:46 PM
I watched this horn football show on the LHN which featured three young douchbags in suits, probably ex-players. They discussed the BYU beatdown and commented on highlights. Then they went to a feature about how the rest of the conference fared. They showed short highlight clips from the Baylor game, OSU, etc. I don't remember them showing any highlights from the Tulsa beatdown. In fact, all they featured for OU was news about Frank Shannon's sexual assault ban and the OK Supreme Court upholding his suspension. It was like a news program from the old USSR, except with slicker production.

You definitely don't want to miss Vince Young as a color analyst on the LHN on game days. After the game, he sat there with Ricky Williams, the other analyst, and the host. VY didn't say a word while the others analyzed the humiliating defeat. All VY did was look at the others and nod. So I wondered, how would they work him in, since he could not keep up with the unrehearsed discussions among the other three. Then, suddenly, the host looked at VY and fed him a question, pre-planned of course, and VY said something and kept repeating it in different ways.

9/9/2014, 07:50 PM
Gosh gimme some of that! I'm signing up with the LHN immediately!

8timechamps
9/9/2014, 08:03 PM
I think we are saying the same thing even though we agree to disagree :) I said we had more potential and you said we we're not playing to our capability (similar?). But I look at the ULM, WVU, TCU and UT games and I see the same team and level of play. ND was the exception and even there the 2 early defensive TD really set the tone for us and it was a better match-up too. Thank goodness for Tommy Ries. I just don't see us getting it done against UT until we had the more mature TK at the helm (and I'm a big Blake Bell fan, but…).

Whatever, you know I'm right! :D

Seriously though, we were absolutely better the latter part of the year.

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2014, 08:23 PM
Seriously though, we were absolutely better the latter part of the year.

On that, we can agree to agree !

Jacie
9/9/2014, 09:37 PM
Hornfans.com still is not back up . . .

CatfishSooner
9/9/2014, 09:38 PM
LHN is worth it just for the press conferences!!!

Also, I watched about 2 mins of Strong's playback show...he was just making a whole lot of excuses... sad

9/10/2014, 12:39 AM
LHN is worth it just for the press conferences!!!

Also, I watched about 2 mins of Strong's playback show...he was just making a whole lot of excuses... sadYou subscribe?

bluedogok
9/10/2014, 08:13 PM
You subscribe?
There is no "subscribing" it is either on your cable system and included in a package or not. They might have better luck as a separate subscription but ESPN has been trying to force it onto basic cable to get the biggest installed base to set advertising rates by.

lexsooner
9/10/2014, 08:56 PM
The production quality of their programming is fairly high. I think have always struggled with coming up with enough to show to interest UT sports fans. There simply is not enough material to keep ratings up. They keep replaying great UT wins like the national title game vs. USC, but how many times can even a hardcore UT fan watch that? Football season is only a third of the year when interest is greatest, so they fill the rest of the time with replays of UT wins and other UT sports like baseball, hoops, tennis. Augie the baseball coach has a foodie restaurant show where he samples foods from Austin restaurants, which is the right thinking, but they should have a better foodie program and also have programs on the Austin music scene. They could also have programs featuring the rest of the school and feature science, arts, humanities, all dumbed down for the average viewer. As of now they just don't have enough interesting material.

SouthFortySooner
9/11/2014, 11:39 AM
I'm stayin on record as sayin. The Charlie brown strong arm tactics will crumble in a horrendous ugliness whenever the, tiny, single, proverbial straw is laid on bevo's back!

9/11/2014, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
You subscribe?
There is no "subscribing" it is either on your cable system and included in a package or not. They might have better luck as a separate subscription but ESPN has been trying to force it onto basic cable to get the biggest installed base to set advertising rates by.Dang, that's a sad scenario. People in Phoenix would revolt in disbelief if they pulled that here. Condolences to Catfish, and all other effected citizens.

bluedogok
9/11/2014, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
You subscribe?Dang, that's a sad scenario. People in Phoenix would revolt in disbelief if they pulled that here. Condolences to Catfish, and all other effected citizens.
I don't have it, not offered on Directv. We had Time Warner Cable in Austin for internet only but the TV service didn't even have it until last year I believe, not sure if Comcast here in Denver has it. It was on some smaller cable systems (Grande) in Austin and some of the burbs around Austin when we were there. Grande was the on campus provider and a small area in the West Campus area. Verizon FIOS had it but they were in Georgetown and Pflugerville only.

soonerboomer93
9/12/2014, 06:19 AM
I have it, I'm on suddenlink here in the Houston area. Never watched one second of that channel, and I was talking to a longhorn fan and he doesn't like it, told me it's nothing but endless propaganda.

lexsooner
9/12/2014, 09:36 AM
I have it, I'm on suddenlink here in the Houston area. Never watched one second of that channel, and I was talking to a longhorn fan and he doesn't like it, told me it's nothing but endless propaganda.

The horn fan is correct. Like I said, it is a UT version of the old CCCP news. However, you need to watch it during and after a bad UT loss. You will enjoy it, I promise.

olevetonahill
9/12/2014, 09:47 AM
The horn fan is correct. Like I said, it is a UT version of the old CCCP news. However, you need to watch it during and after a bad UT loss. You will enjoy it, I promise.

Oh Darn. I cant get it. Oh well.

dwarthog
9/12/2014, 09:52 AM
I watched it a couple of times while channel surfing last year. Caught a couple of ole Mack's post game explanations for various beatdowns etc., didn't watch much more than that.

swardboy
9/12/2014, 09:53 AM
Most replay games are UT wins over OU....should be called the Nostalgia channel.