PDA

View Full Version : They Take Things Slow in Tallahasse

Wishboned
9/5/2014, 01:21 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/sports/ncaafootball/jameis-winston-case-said-to-be-subject-of-florida-state-inquiry.html

SoonerMarkVA
9/5/2014, 05:55 AM
Is it not stunning, how superficially this and the Shannon situation are strikingly similar, yet the vastly unbalanced outcomes?

Wishboned
9/5/2014, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking the investigation wraps up somewhere around the middle of January.

KantoSooner
9/5/2014, 10:37 AM
I'm thinking the investigation wraps up somewhere around the middle of January.

I think you're correct. Mebbe about the 15th or so.

Scott D
9/5/2014, 01:24 PM
I hear this Title IX investigation will be on an upcoming episode of Cold Case

manateepower
9/5/2014, 06:06 PM
This really is blurring the double Jeopardy line IMO.

BoulderSooner79
9/5/2014, 06:36 PM
This really is blurring the double Jeopardy line IMO.

I have to agree. But seems we've already crossed that line with civil suits tried after criminal suits are acquitted.

8timechamps
9/5/2014, 06:50 PM
Help me understand how Double Jeopardy could apply here...

I thought that was only applicable to verdicts. Since no charges were ever filed, would it still apply? I'm not a law person, so I have no clue how that would work.

On another note:

This just makes me feel even worse for Shannon. Just looking at the situation (at least what we know), and these two cases couldn't be further apart. Yet, Winston is continuing to play. I know it's a school-by-school decision, but I will continue to think OU went way overboard in the suspension. I guess time will tell, but even if Frank is cleared, there's no going back and accounting for time lost. That may not seem like what's important, or even a big deal to most of us, but when your livelihood is playing football, and that's a possible future for you, it's a major ordeal.

Aries
9/5/2014, 08:03 PM

I thought that was only applicable to verdicts. Since no charges were ever filed, would it still apply? I'm not a law person, so I have no clue how that would work.

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is double jeopardy ONLY applies in criminal cases, a defendant who is acquitted can never be tried on the same charge ever again.

That does not prevent or have anything to do with a civil case being filed. See O.J. Simpson case.

I'm not sure double jeopardy applies in civil cases at all. To my knowledge, you can sue someone for the same thing even if you've lost, but it's going to be expensive to keep suing someone and losing, so you probably wouldn't do that.

Would love to hear an attorney comment....

Wishboned
9/5/2014, 08:18 PM

On another note:

This just makes me feel even worse for Shannon. Just looking at the situation (at least what we know), and these two cases couldn't be further apart. Yet, Winston is continuing to play. I know it's a school-by-school decision, but I will continue to think OU went way overboard in the suspension. I guess time will tell, but even if Frank is cleared, there's no going back and accounting for time lost. That may not seem like what's important, or even a big deal to most of us, but when your livelihood is playing football, and that's a possible future for you, it's a major ordeal.

Plus this could be a special year for the team, and to not be a part of it is going to be in his memory forever.

Flagstaffsooner
9/5/2014, 08:22 PM
suc and Reggie Bush all over again.