PDA

View Full Version : So is Ash history fer the whorns?

olevetonahill
9/1/2014, 09:19 PM
is their back up worth a shat?

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/09/01/david-ash-texas-longhorns-concussion-injury

Curly Bill
9/1/2014, 09:22 PM
Tyrone Swoopes, a sophomore from small-town Whitewright Texas is supposed to start this coming week. They thought he was gonna be a poor man's Vince Young. From what little I've seen of him he doesn't scare me at all.

soonergirlNeugene
9/1/2014, 09:22 PM
Most whorns I know think his backup (Swoopes) is the better QB.

Curly Bill
9/1/2014, 09:23 PM
I'd be much more scared if by the time they play us they were playing the true freshman Jerrod Heard. I think he'll end up a much better player than Swoopes.

olevetonahill
9/1/2014, 09:24 PM
Well I hope BYU stomps em again LOL

Curly Bill
9/1/2014, 09:25 PM
Well I hope BYU stomps em again LOL

Would dearly love to see that. They were so pumped after beating a glorified high school team in UNT. I'd like to see the whorns knocked back to reality.

soonergirlNeugene
9/1/2014, 09:32 PM
Let's not forget that Vince Young wasn't the Vince Young everybody remembers until his final season as a junior. I distinctly recall walking back to the car after the RRS his sophomore year alongside some very depressed Texas fans. They could say nothing good about Vince beyond musing that he should have been a WR instead of a QB and they were all moping over the thought that Mack would not replace him with anybody else, so they were stuck with him for another two years.

I'm guessing Strong will be better at developing players (b/c honestly it's hard to imagine him doing worse than Mack) so it's hard to say what Swoopes or even Ash might look like given more time with better coaching.

Curly Bill
9/1/2014, 09:36 PM
Tyrone Swoopes wasn't even an especially good player at the 2-A high school level in Texas. I HOPE he's their QB for the next 3 years! At least Vince Young had been a phenom in high school.

Naw, Tyrone Swoopes isn't the one to worry about. I'm telling ya, Jerrod Heard is likely the next decent QB the Whorns will put on the field.

aurorasooner
9/1/2014, 09:36 PM
After getting pwned last year by Derp, I sure hope our team doesn't take them lightly no matter who is their QB.
Still burns me that Mack owns the scoreboard on us, and then hit the road before we had a chance to repay him.
The OU/Texas game is all about emotion and bringing your A game with you no matter what the press says about the other team. I don't know if we'll ever put another 63-14 or 65-13 whipping on them, but a 77-0 type skunking of them this year, would satisfy me just fine.

olevetonahill
9/1/2014, 09:37 PM
Yea, but they sayin ash should quit after this last concussion.
Maybe so.

soonergirlNeugene
9/1/2014, 09:40 PM
Agreed. I wanted to put a bag over my head after that game last year. But then, it wasn't a NC game so our guys weren't giving it 100% amirite?

Curly Bill
9/1/2014, 09:41 PM
I remember Josh Heupel not having a freaking clue is what I remember from last years game!

aurorasooner
9/1/2014, 09:47 PM
I read over on CBS that B Petty (Baylor) had some cracks in a bone sticking out of his spine (cheet), but they would heal just fine and he fully intended to play against NW State next week. Sounds like a lot of BS or they're over-blowing the injury. I know if I had some cracks in bones protecting my spinal column that I'd be damned if I would play against E. Popcorn State.

ouwasp
9/1/2014, 09:52 PM
I hope Ash recovers fully and has a healthy life. That said, the 2013 RRS will live in infamy in demonstrating how a poor team can knock off a better one.

So I don't care if Michelle Obama is quarterbacking Texsa. The Sooners better make it their personal crusade to exact vengeance on the dastardly horns!

SoonerMachine
9/1/2014, 09:53 PM
I remember Josh Heupel not having a freaking clue is what I remember from last years game!

Yup...

Statalyzer
9/2/2014, 02:33 AM
They were so pumped after beating a glorified high school team in UNT.

Either you're making this up or you just know a very unusual group of UT fans.

KantoSooner
9/2/2014, 08:55 AM

Our defense spent a goodly portion of the day wandering around with paper bags over their heads or taking naps on the sidelines, as well.

Okie35
9/2/2014, 09:17 AM
Tyrone Swoopes wasn't even an especially good player at the 2-A high school level in Texas. I HOPE he's their QB for the next 3 years! At least Vince Young had been a phenom in high school.

Naw, Tyrone Swoopes isn't the one to worry about. I'm telling ya, Jerrod Heard is likely the next decent QB the Whorns will put on the field.

yup heard is their better qb ... i have friends that are ut fans that talk him up

westbrooke
9/2/2014, 10:32 AM
yup heard is their better qb ... i have friends that are ut fans that talk him up

Same here. Heard is the one they're banking on long term.

badger
9/2/2014, 10:35 AM
I probably link this guy way too much here, but this is pretty much what happened last year:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Yw2XXnGxt-A/UqiQCj_V4GI/AAAAAAAABco/PFbc4Gr5WiE/s640/Coach2013-4.png
(credit: shaggybevo dick drawer)

David Ash needs to get a medical scholarship and never play college football again. If he really wants to risk playing at the pro level that's his choice, but c'mon Texas you're going to kill him

BigTip
9/2/2014, 12:21 PM
They are talking here that Ash will most likely never play another down.

My kid just started going to UNT. I would have loved to have him have some excitement by having his team win. But my need for us to succeed trumped that desire. It was better for us for texass to win. Same with BYU. Strength of schedule is more important than it has been. We need our opponents to beat everyone...except us. No matter how distasteful it is!

vtsooner21
9/2/2014, 01:01 PM
I'm hoping that BYU looks 100% better this week than last. Lots of errors in that game vs. UConn. Who knows? perhaps the QB (Taysom Hill) will have another "career" game against Texass similar to last year's result. As an aside, I think that the horns may just improve with a more mobile QB in Swoopes taking the snaps. Will be interesting to see the final result..
Boomer

SoCalBigRed
9/2/2014, 04:09 PM
Most whorns I know think his backup (Swoopes) is the better QB.

That sounds like most teams in the country. There's always a contingent of fans that think their guy (the backup) is the better option.

The same people that whine about 2nd half performances when the 3rd and 4th string are getting snaps.

badger
9/2/2014, 04:34 PM
There's always a contingent of fans that think their guy (the backup) is the better option

I'm sure Cody Thomas' mother loves him more than she loves Trevor Knight ;)

Widescreen
9/2/2014, 05:52 PM
I'm sure Cody Thomas' mother loves him more than she loves Trevor Knight ;)

I don't know. Knight is kinda dreamy. ;)

8timechamps
9/2/2014, 07:09 PM
Horns fans that pay attention aren't convinced Swoops is better than Ash. In fact, most think Swoops has been a letdown. Heard is the guy they are convinced is the second coming of Radio.

olevetonahill
9/2/2014, 07:12 PM
So has anyone said if Ash will try to come back or walk away?

birddog
9/2/2014, 09:44 PM
Gonna be a drawn out process on ash. They'll see how he reacts and continue to give him tests. Also depends on his parents feelings on it.

soonergirlNeugene
9/3/2014, 12:07 AM
That sounds like most teams in the country. There's always a contingent of fans that think their guy (the backup) is the better option.

The same people that whine about 2nd half performances when the 3rd and 4th string are getting snaps.

Idk, I tend to think there is probably a good reason for a lot of that sort of thing. I thought that when White was backing up Hybl. I don't remember thinking that about Heupel...I don't even remember who was backing him up. Landry was in a tough position. We were all spoiled having Bradford under center, following that up had to be frustrating. I doubt anyone ever thought Bradford's backup was better. Well except for Texsa fans.

Statalyzer
9/3/2014, 02:13 PM
I thought that when White was backing up Hybl

That's because White was a really good QB and Hybl sucked.

I doubt anyone ever thought Bradford's backup was better. Well except for Texsa fans.

Heh. Although people forget that (in)famous thread came after a spring game in which Bradford really did play poorly and people were saying if that game was representative then Halzle (I think) looked like OU's best shot.

cherokeebrewer
9/3/2014, 03:10 PM
That's because White was a really good QB and Hybl sucked

Say what you will about Nate, but the guy was a warrior...

Widescreen
9/3/2014, 04:22 PM

Yep. He took some seriously hard hits and kept coming back.

70sooner
9/3/2014, 05:08 PM
So has anyone said if Ash will try to come back or walk away?

Officially, he is out for the BYU game and that's it.

Me, I think he needs to hang it up before he becomes a noodle brain. It really wasn't a matter of if it was going to happen again, but when.

And it did....

soonergirlNeugene
9/3/2014, 05:23 PM

The guy did do us proud in the Rose Bowl. I was there to see it. But he was also the kind of QB who made me want to pull my hair out. One drive he'd be spot on, and the next he'd be making dangerous throws and getting picked. He also had a tendency to go down with the ball instead of getting rid of it. Then again, he was also following up Heupel, who always impressed me with his ability to make quick completions even while pressured.

FaninAma
9/5/2014, 11:36 PM
The long term effects of concussions are cumulative. A concerned parent would not encourage their son to play after his 4th concussion. A coach truly concerned about his players' health would not allow a player to play after his 4th concussion. It's amazing that in this day and age with all the focus on brain injuries in football that anybody with any input in the decision making process would allow Ash to step back on the field as a player.

We saw 90 total patients during my last shift in the ER. 11 of the visits were football related injuries.I used to think it would be cool to watch my son play the game. I am now very OK with his decision to concentrate on baseball.

lexsooner
9/6/2014, 07:03 PM
The long term effects of concussions are cumulative. A concerned parent would not encourage their son to play after his 4th concussion. A coach truly concerned about his players' health would not allow a player to play after his 4th concussion. It's amazing that in this day and age with all the focus on brain injuries in football that anybody with any input in the decision making process would allow Ash to step back on the field as a player.

We saw 90 total patients during my last shift in the ER. 11 of the visits were football related injuries.I used to think it would be cool to watch my son play the game. I am now very OK with his decision to concentrate on baseball.

I'm glad a medical person finally stated the obvious. I don't think you have to have a medical background to realize Ash should have retired from football last season. I know the kid wants to play and UT needs him, but it would be irresponsible for him to come back. Correct me if I am wrong, FaninAma, but each concussion has to be evaluated on an individual basis and the medical community now realizes classifying grade I concussions, etc., was totally wrong. In Ash's case, he has experienced concussion symptoms each time he has played since his initial concussion early last season. It would be unconscionable for UT to allow him to play again. You only have to look at the tragic lives of some not so old NFL veterans and retired boxers to realize the dangers of concussions.

Wishboned
9/6/2014, 07:12 PM
If he keeps playing then at some point he's going to be thankful his name is Ash. With just three letters it won't be as hard to remember how to spell it.

That young man needs to retire.

FaninAma
9/6/2014, 07:15 PM
I hope Ash recovers fully and has a healthy life. That said, the 2013 RRS will live in infamy in demonstrating how a poor team can knock off a better one.

So I don't care if Michelle Obama is quarterbacking Texsa. The Sooners better make it their personal crusade to exact vengeance on the dastardly horns!
Then he has a fractured coccyx. That hurts like heck and tends to take a long time to heal.

FaninAma
9/6/2014, 07:19 PM
I'm glad a medical person finally stated the obvious. I don't think you have to have a medical background to realize Ash should have retired from football last season. I know the kid wants to play and UT needs him, but it would be irresponsible for him to come back. Correct me if I am wrong, FaninAma, but each concussion has to be evaluated on an individual basis and the medical community now realizes classifying grade I concussions, etc., was totally wrong. In Ash's case, he has experienced concussion symptoms each time he has played since his initial concussion early last season. It would be unconscionable for UT to allow him to play again. You only have to look at the tragic lives of some not so old NFL veterans and retired boxers to realize the dangers of concussions.
You are correct. And each successive concussion is treated as a more serious injury regardless of his symptoms. Every concussion he has now is automatically considered a grade 3 concussion even without loss of consciousness.