PDA

View Full Version : Big XII recap (week one)

8timechamps
8/31/2014, 09:23 PM
The Big XII finished the weekend 6-3 (assuming Baylor finishes off SMU). That wouldn't normally be a "good" weekend of OOC play except two of the loses came against quality competition in fairly close games. Iowa State was the lone dud in what otherwise was a solid opening week for the conference. Here's a rundown of how the weekend played out (minus OU):

North Dakota State 34
Iowa State 14

I understand that NDSU is the 3 time FCS national champion, and a very good team that knocked off a decent KSU team last year...but c'mon...at least last year it took a 4th quarter TD by NDSU to beat KSU by 3. Iowa State didn't even put up an effort to be proud of, going scoreless in the second half. Mangino's 'potent' offense managed a whopping 253 yards total offense, while the Cyclone defense allowed 503 yards and 34 points. It's going to be a long year in Ames.

Next up for ISU: Kansas State

Alabama 33
West Virginia 23

There's plenty of discussion on the board about this game, so I'll just add that even though WVU kept it competitive, their defense did allow over 500 yards. Bama isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut, so that could present an issue down the line for the Mountaineers.

Next up for WVU: Towson

Florida State 37
Oklahoma State 31

Like the WVU/Bama game, there's plenty of discussion elsewhere, but also like WVU I'll add that the Pokes allowed almost 500 yards in offense. It's going to be interesting to see how the OSU defense plays in conference play, but I think it's going to be a struggle against the top of the conference.

Next up for OSU: Missouri State

Kansas State 55
Stephen F Austin 16

Although the competition was weak, the Cats did exactly what they were supposed to do, win. KSU put up 478 yards of offense (238 passing/240 rushing) in a balanced performance. A little surprising is the yards the KSU defense allowed (294, 225 passing), but what really stood out is that KSU only committed 3 penalties. That's an unheard of stat for an opening game. Kansas State hasn't gotten much media attention, but they are quietly off to a good start and could be a dark horse.

Next up for KSU: Iowa State

Texas 38
North Texas 7

I didn't watch one second of this game, and haven't seen any replays so I don't know exactly what to think. A win is a win, and I'm sure horn fans are happy to have it. The one statistic that stood out to me was the total yards allowed by Texas (94). I don't know much about North Texas, and don't think they are going to light up the scoreboard weekly, but allowing under 100 yards total offense is impressive regardless of the opponent. North Texas only completed 3 passes (on 17 attempts) for 15 yards. It may, or may not, mean the Texas defense is for real, but it's certainly an impressive start for Strong and the horns.

Next up for Texas: BYU

TCU 48
Samford 14

There's a lot of unknowns about TCU this year, but they certainly opened the season with a solid performance. Treyvon Boykin is back at QB, and played a great game (320 yards, 3 TDs). Like many of the season opening opponents of lesser notiriaty, I don't know anything about Samford, so it's worth considering the opponent when looking at the final stats, but you can't ask for much more in an opening game. It remains to be seen if the loss of Devonte Fields will cripple the TCU defense, but for one game at least, the TCU defense played well (allowing 148 total yards).

Next up for TCU: Minnesota

Baylor 45
SMU 0

Pretty much what we expected from Baylor. One interesting takeaway from this game is the injury to Bryce Petty. Initially, it was being referred to as a "bruise". Now, it seems to have evolved to a fracture of some sort in his back. He's listed as day-to-day, but if it's anything to do with a back injury, I doubt he plays Saturday.

Next up for Baylor: Northwestern State (ridiculous)

Texas Tech 42
Central Arkansas 35

Tech trailed for most of the first half before getting a little breathing room in the third quarter. I think it's safe to say there are issues with Tech's defense this year, as the mighty Central Arkansas Bears were able to pull within one score late in the game. The Red Raiders racket up a ton of offensive yards, but surrendered 406 yards on defense. I don't think Tech will be undefeated for very long this year, and it's possible they drop a game before conference play even starts.

Next up for Tech: UTEP

Off this week: Kansas

badger
8/31/2014, 10:41 PM
Tech recap: haha u nearly lost to a crappy opponent haha. FREE BAKER MAYFIELD NOW YOU PRIQUES

soonergirlNeugene
9/1/2014, 04:35 AM
Baylor pretty much teabagged SMU for the full 4 quarters. This looks like a strong year in the B12. I wish as a league we had a better slate of nonconference games to show it off, but then again, Baylor is a big part of that problem (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-07-04/big-12-non-conference-schedule-rankings-west-virginia-texas-kansas-state-oklahoma-state-oklahoma).

8timechamps
9/1/2014, 07:29 PM
Tech recap: haha u nearly lost to a crappy opponent haha. FREE BAKER MAYFIELD NOW YOU PRIQUES

I don't know how I missed the Tech recap, next to ISU's loss, that was the big laughter this weekend. Anyway, I've added a brief recap.

Salt City Sooner
9/1/2014, 07:34 PM
Didn't any references to it on this board yet, but UT not only lost their starting center (& hands down most experienced lineman) but today Strong announced that Ash will not play vs. BYU due to more concussion issues. The competitive side of me would love nothing more than to see OU beat them at full strength, but this time I'm hoping common sense wins out & he hangs up the cleats. There's more important things in life.

8timechamps
9/1/2014, 07:40 PM
Didn't any references to it on this board yet, but UT not only lost their starting center (& hands down most experienced lineman) but today Strong announced that Ash will not play vs. BYU due to more concussion issues. The competitive side of me would love nothing more than to see OU beat them at full strength, but this time I'm hoping common sense wins out & he hangs up the cleats. There's more important things in life.

I really hope someone has the sense to get in Ash's ear and advise him to hang up the cleats. As a competitor, he probably doesn't want to walk away, but there are a lot of years after football, and he's risking the quality of life for what amounts to 'one more year'. I hate Texas as much as the next guy, but I'd hate to see the kid ruin his life. The hit wasn't even bad, which means his brain is sending a clear message to knock it off.

Sad news too about Espinosa. That's a huge blow to their offense.

picasso
9/1/2014, 08:20 PM
What about them Gooners and the cupcake they played? As always.

Okie35
9/1/2014, 08:37 PM
I really hope someone has the sense to get in Ash's ear and advise him to hang up the cleats. As a competitor, he probably doesn't want to walk away, but there are a lot of years after football, and he's risking the quality of life for what amounts to 'one more year'. I hate Texas as much as the next guy, but I'd hate to see the kid ruin his life. The hit wasn't even bad, which means his brain is sending a clear message to knock it off.

Sad news too about Espinosa. That's a huge blow to their offense.

True. Ash should hang it up. Way too many concussions that could result in a long term effect if he continues to play.

soonergirlNeugene
9/1/2014, 09:19 PM
How many has it been for Ash? Legitimately concerned for the guy.

BoulderSooner79
9/1/2014, 10:57 PM
How many has it been for Ash? Legitimately concerned for the guy.

I think almost everyone that follows CFB feels this way. I saw the video and it was an awkward hit to the top of the helmet as Ash was trying to recover a bad shotgun snap. But it didn't look like a hit that would hurt anyone else and it's been a long time since the last concussion. Very concerning.

Statalyzer
9/2/2014, 02:32 AM
The weird thing is he was fine during the game. I mean, he looked rusty, but in a way that most people expected since he hadn't played in a real game in nearly a year. And apparently during the game, and immediately after, he felt fine. But a couple hours after the game he was about to get in bed and started feeling dizzy and called up the team doctor. This is starting to remind me of OU's 2009 season. Not that Espinoza and Ash are as good as Bradford & Gresham were, but the early injuries to key players and the "we can't catch a break" feeling.

The one statistic that stood out to me was the total yards allowed by Texas (94). I don't know much about North Texas, and don't think they are going to light up the scoreboard weekly, but allowing under 100 yards total offense is impressive regardless of the opponent. North Texas only completed 3 passes (on 17 attempts) for 15 yards. It may, or may not, mean the Texas defense is for real, but it's certainly an impressive start for Strong and the horns.

First string D only allowed 40 yards and 3 first downs and had 0 missed tackles. UNT's longest play was 8 yards. I don't care who you play, that's good. Especially after leading the Big 12 if not the whole fuggin' world in missed tackles the past two years, it's a nice change. On the downside, our OL, even before the injury to Espinoza, wasn't controlling the LOS very well. I don't think we'll be scoring a lot. We still have the potential to beat anyone on a given day, but most likely only either in 17-13 type games or if the D or ST get scores or returns deep in opposing territory.

SoonerMarkVA
9/2/2014, 06:38 AM

Karma's a biotch.

Mac94
9/2/2014, 06:59 AM
While WV and oSu lost the perception is that both teams would be steamrolled by superior competition. Neither the squads are considered to be factors in the Big-12 race and both went toe to toe with one of the SECs top teams and the ACCs top team. Image wise, these two teams helped the Big-12 this weekend ... a lot. Yeah, they lost, but they turned some heads.

swardboy
9/2/2014, 07:02 AM
Assuming WVU and OSU go on to have respectable seasons, does their loss against high quality opponents (AL/FSU) still present OU a "strength of schedule" aspect if we go on to beat them both?

SoonerMarkVA
9/2/2014, 07:14 AM
Assuming WVU and OSU go on to have respectable seasons, does their loss against high quality opponents (AL/FSU) still present OU a "strength of schedule" aspect if we go on to beat them both?

If the committee is the least bit objective, it should. That's a big if, though.

KantoSooner
9/2/2014, 09:41 AM
The bad thing about the Ash situation is that he didn't feel it until later. That's a very bad indication that his brain is hurt. If Strong wants to break the news to him gently, he could sit him 'under evaluation' for a month or so. But if he plays another down of full contact football, his coaches deserve real contempt.

cherokeebrewer
9/2/2014, 10:14 AM
David Ash and his parents need to have a heart to heart talk...football is not worth harming your quality of life.

8timechamps
9/2/2014, 04:17 PM
The weird thing is he was fine during the game. I mean, he looked rusty, but in a way that most people expected since he hadn't played in a real game in nearly a year. And apparently during the game, and immediately after, he felt fine. But a couple hours after the game he was about to get in bed and started feeling dizzy and called up the team doctor. This is starting to remind me of OU's 2009 season. Not that Espinoza and Ash are as good as Bradford & Gresham were, but the early injuries to key players and the "we can't catch a break" feeling.

First string D only allowed 40 yards and 3 first downs and had 0 missed tackles. UNT's longest play was 8 yards. I don't care who you play, that's good. Especially after leading the Big 12 if not the whole fuggin' world in missed tackles the past two years, it's a nice change. On the downside, our OL, even before the injury to Espinoza, wasn't controlling the LOS very well. I don't think we'll be scoring a lot. We still have the potential to beat anyone on a given day, but most likely only either in 17-13 type games or if the D or ST get scores or returns deep in opposing territory.

I was just reading an article about how Ash's symptoms developed. I didn't realize he played as much as he did, but it sounds like Strong & staff did everything they were supposed to do evaluating him throughout the game. Just a weird ordeal, and I'm sure it's disappointing for Ash.

Not sure what you guys are going to do at QB, but if the defense plays as well as I think they will, Texas should win the games they're supposed to win (if that makes sense).

badger
9/2/2014, 04:32 PM
OU: Did we win by enough?
Baylor: Pinch us we're still dreaming
KSU: Snyder still coach? Cool we're set then
Texas: Panic button...
OSU: Moral victory! Don't like it as much as we did a decade ago
WVU: Curse words and burnt couches
Texas Tech: PANIC BUTTON...
TCU: We won a Rose Bowl a few seasons ago!
ISU and KU in unison: Is it basketball season yet?

rock on sooner
9/2/2014, 08:16 PM

Only one thing here...I like Rhoads and sometime this year ISU
will break it off in someone they're supposed to lose to. Having
said that, since OU comes to Ames...well...jus sayin....

Statalyzer
9/3/2014, 02:15 PM
Paul Rhodes seems like a good coach, but at some point the results have to speak for themselves. ISU never should have run off McCarney.

badger
9/3/2014, 02:33 PM
Only one thing here...I like Rhoads and sometime this year ISU
will break it off in someone they're supposed to lose to. Having
said that, since OU comes to Ames...well...jus sayin....

They're not good enough to beat someone they definitely shouldn't. When they defeated undefeated OSU, they were a bowl team.

I'd say ISU's best hope is to beat an OK team that nearly beat a good team. I'm looking at West Virginia (regular season final Nov. 29 at home) and Oklahoma State (Oct. 4 in Stillwater). Hey hey, they nearly beat Alabama and nearly beat Florida State, so we can beat them and say we nearly beat legit competition too hey hey

Paul Rhodes seems like a good coach, but at some point the results have to speak for themselves. ISU never should have run off McCarney.
What the melting down fans have remarked on this front is that Rhodes didn't recruit talent like his predecessors, so even if he is a decent guy and a decent coach, he's dealing with players that are marginal at the FBS level. About the same thing happened to Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame and Washington.

SicEmBaylor
9/3/2014, 03:20 PM

Moral victories aside, I would contend that WVU and OSU nearly defeating the #1 and #2 teams in the country is more impressive than blowout wins against teams like La-Tech or SMU.

badger
9/3/2014, 03:57 PM
Yeah, the poll voters agreed with you too, as WVU and OSU got more respect votes (but still outside the top 25) than preseason.

I also say with respect that OSU no longer enjoys moral victories as much as they should and WVU is our new loveable couch burner and curse worder. They love their football and they show it and it's cool

You Baylors are all on cloud nine and admittedly, I hope we're the ones to lower you the ninth circle of hades instead. A new stadium, a new RG3 statue and you get to remind SMU who's in the Big 12 with your football awesomeness? Art Briles probably has to ward off you guys constantly for excessive attempted hugging

8timechamps
9/3/2014, 07:55 PM
They're not good enough to beat someone they definitely shouldn't. When they defeated undefeated OSU, they were a bowl team.

I'd say ISU's best hope is to beat an OK team that nearly beat a good team. I'm looking at West Virginia (regular season final Nov. 29 at home) and Oklahoma State (Oct. 4 in Stillwater). Hey hey, they nearly beat Alabama and nearly beat Florida State, so we can beat them and say we nearly beat legit competition too hey hey

What the melting down fans have remarked on this front is that Rhodes didn't recruit talent like his predecessors, so even if he is a decent guy and a decent coach, he's dealing with players that are marginal at the FBS level. About the same thing happened to Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame and Washington.

I'd agree with you except that ISU has made a habit of playing over their heads in one game a year.

Here's the list of games that should have been blow-outs, but weren't:

2013: ISU 30 Texas 31
2012: ISU 31 Baylor 21
2011: ISU 37 OSU 31 (OT)
2010: ISU 30 Nebraska 31 (OT)
2009: ISU 9 Nebraska 7

Granted, they didn't beat Texas last year (although they should have), or Nebraska in 2010 (again, they had the game won). But, they should have gone 0-5 in all of those games, and they shouldn't even have been close.

rock on sooner
9/3/2014, 08:03 PM
I'd agree with you except that ISU has made a habit of playing over their heads in one game a year.

Here's the list of games that should have been blow-outs, but weren't:

2013: ISU 30 Texas 31
2012: ISU 31 Baylor 21
2011: ISU 37 OSU 31 (OT)
2010: ISU 30 Nebraska 31 (OT)
2009: ISU 9 Nebraska 7

Granted, they didn't beat Texas last year (although they should have), or Nebraska in 2010 (again, they had the game won). But, they should have gone 0-5 in all of those games, and they shouldn't even have been close.

Welp, this is what I tried to say in post #20 but 8x said it better...Rhoads'
team loves the heck out of him and they will play over their heads at least
once this year, maybe more ( I hope against the Hawkeyes!)

Temujin
9/3/2014, 08:27 PM
True. Ash should hang it up. Way too many concussions that could result in a long term effect if he continues to play.

Ok, so I hate to make fun of a guy's concussions, but doesn't the fact that he went to UT already proven that he's got long-term brain damage?

8timechamps
9/3/2014, 08:43 PM
Welp, this is what I tried to say in post #20 but 8x said it better...Rhoads'
team loves the heck out of him and they will play over their heads at least
once this year, maybe more ( I hope against the Hawkeyes!)

I've always liked Rhoads, but my respect for him went to a new level after last year's ISU/Texas game. That's the kind of guy I would want to coach my own kids (much like Stoops).

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for ISU, maybe it's because we've only lost to them once since the 60's (and that was in the forgotten decade of the 90's). As long as they don't mess that up by beating us, I'll continue to pull for them to win.

picasso
9/3/2014, 09:14 PM
Moral victories aside, I would contend that WVU and OSU nearly defeating the #1 and #2 teams in the country is more impressive than blowout wins against teams like La-Tech or SMU.
Nearly defeating is missing a game winning FG. They both lost by two scores.

SicEmBaylor
9/3/2014, 09:29 PM
Nearly defeating is missing a game winning FG. They both lost by two scores.

Close by their standards. ;)

I've never really understood the moral victory crowds. I admit that I've tried to find some silver linings in losses before, but Baylor was typically always the opposite. I don't know if it's the Baptist aspect (even though most Baylor students are not Baptist), but Baylor fans will bitch when we lose and bitch when we win. Even when we win big in important games, everyone seems to find something to bitch about. When there isn't something to bitch about, it's doom and gloom. That's changing to some degree -- maybe it is just residual Steele and GuyMo funk lingering around.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/4/2014, 08:21 AM
maybe it's because we've only lost to them once since the 60's (and that was in the forgotten decade of the 90's).

Man, that brings back bad memories. The whole stadium knows the QB draw is coming except for our coaches and D. It's a wonder Gibbs lasted as long as he did.

8timechamps
9/4/2014, 04:01 PM
Man, that brings back bad memories. The whole stadium knows the QB draw is coming except for our coaches and D. It's a wonder Gibbs lasted as long as he did.

I think of that play every time I'm reminded of that game. I think it was after that game that I came to the realization that we could be in for a rough go, I had no idea it would last the next 10 years. I still remember walking out of the stadium that day and people were in shock, it was as quiet as I can ever remember after a game.

KantoSooner
9/4/2014, 04:09 PM
I left the country in 1989 and didn't return until 2008. As much as I suffered, not having televised football during that period, I sometimes think I might have been lucky. (Especially since I saw the NC FSU game on Christmas vacation.)

8timechamps
9/4/2014, 04:33 PM
I left the country in 1989 and didn't return until 2008. As much as I suffered, not having televised football during that period, I sometimes think I might have been lucky. (Especially since I saw the NC FSU game on Christmas vacation.)

I may as well have been out of the country, I've blacked out most of the 90's.

KantoSooner
9/4/2014, 04:50 PM
You can imagine my confusion: I was on campus from '85~'87, then left for Asia in '89. I sometimes heard little snippets of OU info and it sounded so....odd. I would wonder, Did we not have a big hammer FB to churn out 3.5 yards a carry and break two or three 50 yarders a game? Did we not have 4-5 Olympic caliber sprinters to whom our QB could pitch the ball? Was our defense not composed of large men of cruel mien and bad attitude?

It was like an out of body experience.

8timechamps
9/4/2014, 05:53 PM
You can imagine my confusion: I was on campus from '85~'87, then left for Asia in '89. I sometimes heard little snippets of OU info and it sounded so....odd. I would wonder, Did we not have a big hammer FB to churn out 3.5 yards a carry and break two or three 50 yarders a game? Did we not have 4-5 Olympic caliber sprinters to whom our QB could pitch the ball? Was our defense not composed of large men of cruel mien and bad attitude?

It was like an out of body experience.

Kinda like being in a coma.

Unfortunately, I saw the downfall first hand. Whenever I get a little antsy about the current state of the program, I think back to the '97 game against Baylor. I can't remember the exact play, other than I think it was an interception in the endzone at the last minute to secure a 24-23 win. I was almost in tears that we hung on and won. That usually helps me temper any frustration I may feel about not playing well now.

Wishboned
9/4/2014, 06:15 PM
I've always liked Rhoads, but my respect for him went to a new level after last year's ISU/Texas game. That's the kind of guy I would want to coach my own kids (much like Stoops).

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for ISU, maybe it's because we've only lost to them once since the 60's (and that was in the forgotten decade of the 90's). As long as they don't mess that up by beating us, I'll continue to pull for them to win.

I remember when Iowa State almost pulled off the upset in 1981. They missed a last minute field goal, and it ended in a 7-7 tie.

There were people screaming for Barry's head.