PDA

View Full Version : I used to watch Oklahoma WAY BACK IN THE DAY.

BermudaSooner
8/29/2014, 10:51 AM
“I love the game,” Gastelum said. “I’ve loved the game since I was a kid. I used to watch Oklahoma way back in the day — Teddy Lehman days, Rocky Calmus days. I loved watching Oklahoma. I remember watching the national championship game against Florida State in my living room as a kid.

Really? This makes me feel old. Teddy and Rock, "way back in the day?" If you watched them in HD, it can't be "way back in the day."

Widescreen
8/29/2014, 11:03 AM
I guess "back in the day" has different meanings for everyone.

oudanny
8/29/2014, 11:20 AM
That's funny. His days don't go back very far.

Aries
8/29/2014, 11:26 AM

...which was a WEDNESDAY, by the way.
~Signed, Dane Cook

hawaii 5-0
8/29/2014, 12:47 PM
My 'back in the day" was Granville Liggins, Bob Warmack, and Jim Weatherall.

I knew of Sooner Football before then but didn't follow them closely till then. Too young to follow Tommy McDonald.

5-0

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2014, 01:36 PM
Well I remember Teddy Roosevelt fighting to get the forward pass legalized in football...

(...or was that a PBS special I was watching?)

SoonerMarkVA
8/29/2014, 01:42 PM
My "back in the day" was Lott, King, Sims, and Overstreet. But I also remember Davis, Li'l Joe, Lee Roy and Dewey (but not Lucious) even though I wasn't quite old enough to be really into it then.

SoonerorLater
8/29/2014, 01:50 PM
I remember when they interrupted the game because of the McKinley assassination.

Soonerwake
8/29/2014, 02:01 PM
My "back in the day" was Lott, King, Sims, and Overstreet. But I also remember Davis, Li'l Joe, Lee Roy and Dewey (but not Lucious) even though I wasn't quite old enough to be really into it then.

Me too..

Piware
8/29/2014, 02:21 PM
Yikes, I watched my first Sooner game on a black and white tv in 1957. That's too prehistoric to even be "back in the day". :D

BoulderSooner79
8/29/2014, 02:27 PM

The 70's were indeed good old days. My freshman year was '74 watching Davis, Lil Joe, Lee Roy and Dewey Selmon and Rod Shoate. My last student tickets were in Billy's Heisman season. Started watching OU when they switched to the bone in '70.

Turd_Ferguson
8/29/2014, 02:40 PM
OV knows exactly where Mex is buried.

olevetonahill
8/29/2014, 03:23 PM
OV knows exactly where Mex is buried.

Heh

I aint gonna Put the Kid down. Just think of all the Great seasons hes gonna get to watch and we be dead.

vtsooner21
8/30/2014, 09:50 AM
The older I get, the better I was...And I'm pretty darn good right now!
Boomer

ouwasp
8/30/2014, 10:37 AM
People consider those 15 yrs older than them to be "old"...read that somewhere...makes sense to me.

As to the OP, this illustrates how critical it is for OU to finally win another NC...to the younger generation of the Sooner Nation, 2000 is ancient history! Or at least it's "back in the day".

swardboy
8/30/2014, 10:53 AM

I knew of Sooner Football before then but didn't follow them closely till then. Too young to follow Tommy McDonald.

5-0

Sounds like we share something in common. Remember Eddie Hinton?

Caleb Gastelum recovered the last kick-off fumble against Alabama. It was like the ultimate F-U in a great game.

King Crimson
8/30/2014, 11:55 AM
he's just talking about "way back in his day", Gastelum. i don't think he's disrespecting those fried squirrel eaters on here complaining about it.

sure, the memory of everyone is all about about 20 years ago at best. or made into streaming marketing radio channels.....

blacktop
8/30/2014, 01:27 PM
1956, 6 years old, dad stationed at Tinker AFB Midwest City, first time I ever heard the word football, first time I ever heard the word Sooners, first time I ever heard the words Bud Wilkinson. I've been all over the world but there is only one, OKLAHOMA! Thank yOU dad.

Eielson
8/30/2014, 03:19 PM
Yeah, you guys are old. I remember watching the Big XII Championship game against K-State that year from under a Christmas tree. The reason, of course, was that it was past my bedtime and I didn't want my parents to know I wasn't in my room.

King Crimson
8/30/2014, 03:49 PM
Yeah, you guys are old. I remember watching the Big XII Championship game against K-State that year from under a Christmas tree. The reason, of course, was that it was past my bedtime and I didn't want my parents to know I wasn't in my room.

yer parents weren't watching that game? when did you have to bed...? 7 pm? they wouldn't let you watch that game? my parents would have had me up and all up in that. i learned Sooner from my fam.

birddog
8/30/2014, 03:51 PM
My first true memory was beating penn state in 85. I was hugging the toilet in between plays. Great memory indeed.

Eielson
8/30/2014, 03:56 PM
yer parents weren't watching that game? when did you have to bed...? 7 pm? they wouldn't let you watch that game? my parents would have had me up and all up in that. i learned Sooner from my fam.

I don't remember what time the game started, but it was a night game, so it probably lasted until 10 or 11. The game was on in our living room. I was silently watching from under the tree (which was in the corner).

bluedogok
8/30/2014, 05:20 PM
Back in the day was when only one or two games a year were on TV. My first recollection was the Mildren era, don't remember Steve Owens.

King Barry's Back
9/2/2014, 07:18 AM

Yeah, I thought we were going to hear about "Split T" and "47 straight;" and we got Rocky Calmus and Bobby Bowden. Man, I still wear my Rocky jersey sometimes.

BoomerSooner123
9/2/2014, 07:14 PM
What amazes me is that people thinking Rocky & Teddy are back in the day also only know KSU as a good football team and the Nebraska games are ancient.

rock on sooner
9/2/2014, 08:33 PM

5-0

If Tommy was available for the Wishbone, he would have been Heisman,
AA, All world!..The King would have creamed his jeans with Mack in the
'Bone. Bud was such a gentleman that he would have pulled his starters
in the SECOND quarter, just so he could keep all his horses happy...the
King would have just put mustard on the second half hot dogs...ah, yeah,
"back in the day"....doncha luv it! BOOMER!...

ouwasp
9/2/2014, 10:37 PM
The newer Sooner fans didn't have to suffer through the Dark 90s much. But they sure missed out on the glory days of the Wishbone! Guess the young 'uns gotta take the good with the bad...

Soonerjeepman
9/2/2014, 11:17 PM

danm, you are young...lol

Soonerjeepman
9/2/2014, 11:24 PM
so many memories....

my aunts and uncle going absolutely bonkers during games...that was my introduction to OU football, early 70's. Riding in the station wagon, in the very back, cold pre-thanksgiving night, headed to Medford....with my cardboard sign in the back declaring OU 43 nu 3...
my grandpa watching the games....going to the HS football field with all the relatives after the OU/nu game and playin football...
going to my first OU game against isu I believe in the mid 70's...won like 63-3, grass parking south of the stadium, I carried in the cooler with pop on top, beer underneath...1985 Orange Bowl...

Life was simple and good. I feel for the kids today..but I guess it's all perspective.