PDA

View Full Version : Official: DGB waiver request denied by NCAA

cvsooner
8/22/2014, 07:08 PM
Just came across my Twitter feed from OU...the NCAA has denied the waiver and he will not play this season. OU says it will accept the decision.

cvsooner
8/22/2014, 07:09 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvrnTZEIEAEuHrZ.jpg:large

cvsooner
8/22/2014, 07:10 PM
Speaking of Twitter, looks like Joe Mixon is pretty solid in his dedication and commitment to the school. He posted this today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvrWpBXCYAA5C0f.jpg

"I love OU and my Teammates I'm Here to Win Championships And to win A Heisman! I'm loyal to this Man"

cvsooner
8/22/2014, 07:12 PM
More on DGB here: http://newsok.com/article/5334946/

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2014, 07:26 PM
He was an unexpected addition anyway, so the only loss was his practice time taken from other players. I guess we'll see if there really is a gentleman's agreement for him to stay and play in '15 if the waiver was denied. It would be nice if they would publish the reason the waiver was denied.

soonergirlNeugene
8/22/2014, 07:56 PM
Well here's hoping that it will be worth having him around to give our secondary some practice. He most likely leaves for the pros after this season is up.

SoonerMarkVA
8/22/2014, 08:20 PM
Makes me wonder why OU was so optimistic in the first place. For the NCAA, they reached this decision with lightning speed, which I assume means it was a "no brainer" for them.

soonergirlNeugene
8/22/2014, 08:23 PM
Makes me wonder why OU was so optimistic in the first place. For the NCAA, they reached this decision with lightning speed, which I assume means it was a "no brainer" for them.

Kinda reminds me of Boren saying that the Pac-12 move was a done deal. Stop getting my hopes up dangit! :neglected:

Curly Bill
8/22/2014, 08:24 PM
Any other season, any other time I mighta felt bad for OU, but after how the Mixon situation was handled I'm having a hard time mustering up much sympathy for anybody involved.

8timechamps
8/22/2014, 08:37 PM
This shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone. I felt like it was a long shot (and I think even OU felt that way), but it was worth a try.

I think DGB stays his senior year and plays. But, that may be a long shot too (or hopeful thinking).

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2014, 08:42 PM

And that is reinforced by OU immediately accepting the decision w/o appeal. If I recall, Saunders waiver was initially denied and then granted upon appeal (half a season later, grrrr). It could also be that OU wasn't really optimistic in the first place, but there was no win stating that publicly.

8timechamps
8/22/2014, 09:12 PM
And that is reinforced by OU immediately accepting the decision w/o appeal. If I recall, Saunders waiver was initially denied and then granted upon appeal (half a season later, grrrr). It could also be that OU wasn't really optimistic in the first place, but there was no win stating that publicly.

Yeah, I think they filed for the waiver because there was a chance it would be granted (albeit a very small one). They just didn't have much to work with, and I would have been very surprised if the waiver was granted.

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2014, 10:40 PM
Any other season, any other time I mighta felt bad for OU, but after how the Mixon situation was handled I'm having a hard time mustering up much sympathy for anybody involved.

CB, on the surface it seems Mixon is handling this better than you are. :concern:

Curly Bill
8/22/2014, 10:45 PM
CB, on the surface it seems Mixon is handling this better than you are. :concern:

On the surface it would seem that lacking the freedom I do to express disgust with how the situation was handled, he has no choice but to state his willingness to handle it well.

BoulderSooner79
8/22/2014, 10:49 PM
On the surface it would seem that lacking the freedom I do to express disgust with how the situation was handled, he has no choice but to state his willingness to handle it well.

Other than the freedom to go elsewhere.

Curly Bill
8/22/2014, 10:52 PM
Other than the freedom to go elsewhere.

I said he was a total dumbass if he didn't leave. If he's still in Norman Monday morning I'll consider that to be the case, and I'll probably be less inclined to take his side at that point.

REDREX
8/22/2014, 10:53 PM
Who cares----They should never have taken him----He will never sit around and wait to play----probably out of town by now----Black eye to the program

aurorasooner
8/23/2014, 01:20 AM
Kudos to the coaches for taking the gamble. I don't think they take it if they knew the *&^%storm was coming from the Mixon deal.
If DGB stays for his senior year and keeps his nose clean, and Mixon stays and also keeps his nose clean, then with B Mayfield set to compete or BU at the QB position next year then it was probably worth it considering it's getting harder for the coaches to recruit the high star high school athletes into this dumpster fire of a no-TV-network conference we're stuck in.
If we get lucky with no major injuries this year, don't have the usual 1 or 2 game complete meltdowns with our offensive game plans and JH and not fuJH shows up in each game, then we may make it into the 4 team playoff, which will give us some good press for a change (as long as we don't pull a K-State in KC, USC in Miami, or a game such as the RRR embarrassment from last year) in the playoffs.
I still can't believe we didn't show up in Dallas last year and Mack and Derp have the scoreboard on us. We definitely need to win and win big this year in Dallas.

EatLeadCommie
8/23/2014, 01:53 AM
Does this mean that Mixon can appeal and get only a 3 game suspension?

CK Sooner
8/23/2014, 03:45 AM
He will only go up if he stays and plays next year. I think he owes OU to do it also. They gave him a chance.

Aries
8/23/2014, 08:55 AM
Personally, I'm okay with both situations. If either/both of them choose not to stay at OU, so be it. If either/both of them stay they hopefully learned something and I'd like to see them play next year. Either way, no one can say OU gave them preferential treatment, or that there was no accountability for their actions. I'll feel better watching them play with the hope that they learned from it. And given that I don't know the whole stories, I'm going to assume people in authority made good decisions.

BoulderSooner79
8/23/2014, 09:59 AM

And given that I don't know the whole stories, I'm going to assume people in authority made good decisions.

I think you are spot on. No doubt there is more to the stories that we will never find out about. That statement from Pinkel yesterday about having "other information" about DBG that factored into booting him might be a clue. And it could simply be that Mizzou was not supporting this transfer as much as we were led to believe. They sure took a long time to file the papers from their side. Combine that with the lightning speed OU accepted the decision w/o considering appeal and it sure points to a weak case for this waiver.

I've read rumors that the Mixon encounter also had other factors outside just what appeared on the police report. All just rumors, but at this point, I think as fans, all we can do is trust that OU authorities have more complete information and are doing the right thing. Even if we would disagree with their decision on the Mixon case if we had all the info, I think they have earned our support from the job they have done over the years.

Sabanball
8/23/2014, 12:54 PM
Hopefully he can stay on the straight and narrow and play next year.

BoulderSooner79
8/23/2014, 01:07 PM
Hopefully he can stay on the straight and narrow and play next year.

Very likely he'll be playing next year -- maybe even at OU.

:witless:

Sabanball
8/23/2014, 02:39 PM
Very likely he'll be playing next year -- maybe even at OU.

:witless:

Maybe, but more than likely it will be in the NFL.

King Crimson
8/23/2014, 06:02 PM
i think the transfer rule has been trampled a bit lately and to be fair, not sure DGB is the special case where it ought to be waived.

as for Mixon, from that horrible situation...seems about right. I'mma trust coach and the process there. had to be consequences after a mutual ugliness like that.

SoCalBigRed
8/24/2014, 05:36 AM
More than likely be in the NFL?

How? Why? He's not going to be playing ANYWHERE this year, unless he transfers DOWN. That will tank his draft status. He's not going to do anything, except lose ground this year, in any situation. He NEEDS his senior season.

He's not going anywhere. He's going to park his butt on the bench for a year and we'll see him playing next year.

aurorasooner
8/24/2014, 11:52 AM
I know each case is different, but someone explain this to me.:highly_amused: We obviously need to get our people who write our NCAA transfer appeals better trained or pay-off the NCAA with more money. Something, cheet. Freakin Whoregon, too.

Cal transfer gets waiver, eligible to play for Ducks in 2014

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/24/cal-transfer-gets-waiver-eligible-to-play-for-ducks-in-2014/related/http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/24/cal-transfer-gets-waiver-eligible-to-play-for-ducks-in-2014/related/

Shortly after the 2013 season ended, the linebacker transferred from Cal to Oregon. Because he was a transfer to another program in the Pac-12, Ragin would’ve been forced to sit out both the 2014 and 2015 seasons; an appeal for a waiver was successful, however, and lopped that sit-out time in half, making Ragin eligible to play in 2015 after sitting out this season.

For reasons not yet publicly released, Ragin filed yet another appeal for a waiver that would allow him to be immediately eligible in 2014 — and won.

Aside from two very successful appeals, how Ragin went from “eligible in 2016″ to “eligible in 2014″ is unclear — and absolutely awesome given the absurd and arcane nature of the NCAA’s transfer rules

Curly Bill
8/24/2014, 12:42 PM
More than likely be in the NFL?

How? Why? He's not going to be playing ANYWHERE this year, unless he transfers DOWN. That will tank his draft status. He's not going to do anything, except lose ground this year, in any situation. He NEEDS his senior season.

He's not going anywhere. He's going to park his butt on the bench for a year and we'll see him playing next year.

Just because he's not playing this year doesn't mean he'll shrink or get slower, or his hands will fall off. If he decides to go to the NFL after this season, and I would if I were him, he'll still be a high draft choice. I don't know if that means first round or not, but just because he doesn't play doesn't mean NFL teams will forget about him.

....and in case ya haven't heard - the NFL really likes big talented receivers these days!

birddog
8/24/2014, 12:50 PM
Maurice clarrett got a fair shake. DGB will get a shot at the nfl regardless of playing time at OU. He'll continue to train and if he he chooses to throw his name in the draft next year, they'll draft him on potential and size alone. I'd like to think he'll attend class and be available next year with the guys we have coming back. Hes a big time weapon and a big target that will help our rbs out a pantload.

Curly Bill
8/24/2014, 12:53 PM
Maurice clarrett got a fair shake. DGB will get a shot at the nfl regardless of playing time at OU. He'll continue to train and if he he chooses to throw his name in the draft next year, they'll draft him on potential and size alone. I'd like to think he'll attend class and be available next year with the guys we have coming back. Hes a big time weapon and a big target that will help our rbs out a pantload.

Some might even see not playing as a plus - no wear and tear, much less likely to suffer a career impacting injury, and he's proven what he can do.

I'm not gonna go all the way and argue not playing is better than playing, but I don't think it's a big a deal in the case of a physical freak like him, who has proven what he can do.

Ruf/Nek7
8/24/2014, 01:06 PM
If it were the other way around and DGB was leaving OU for Mizzou, he would have got the approval. No doubt about it.

Curly Bill
8/24/2014, 02:25 PM
If it were the other way around and DGB was leaving OU for Mizzou, he would have got the approval. No doubt about it.

Along with the: "We'll win with ya, or we'll win without ya" mantra, this is my other favorite Sooner fan belief: Everybody is out to get us.

SoonerorLater
8/24/2014, 02:56 PM
IMO the chances of his coming back to Oklahoma next year are less than 1 in 10, if that. The biggest question mark concerns his character not his physical ability. If he is a good citizen over the next so many months he would be a high round draft pick (top ten). If he isn't such a good citizen he won't be invited back at OU. In either case it doesn't follow he will be back. .

soonergirlNeugene
8/27/2014, 04:42 PM
Saw an article over at NBC sports saying Stoops thought DGB was leaning towards playing in 2015. Stranger things have happened, but I still wouldn't count on it.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/27/would-dgb-stay-play-for-sooners-in-2015/

8timechamps
8/27/2014, 05:42 PM
Saw an article over at NBC sports saying Stoops thought DGB was leaning towards playing in 2015. Stranger things have happened, but I still wouldn't count on it.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/27/would-dgb-stay-play-for-sooners-in-2015/

Stoops was asked at Monday's press conference if DGB was planning to return to OU and play in 2015. He said (paraphrasing) that was his (DGB) plan and he's working in that direction.

That doesn't mean he'll be back, but it sounds like he's leaning that way.

I think a lot will depend on what the NFL Draft Board tells him. There's more than enough film available for the Draft Board to review his ability, and if he get's an early round grade, it'd be awfully hard to pass it up. I wouldn't blame the kid if he bolts for the NFL if he's going to be an early round pick.

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2014, 05:53 PM
Stoops saying that having DGB for next season being "undecided" is definitely a change of tone. Of course, it's the first time he has addressed it since the waiver was denied. I didn't take the comments as optimistic, that's just me.

SoonerinSouthlake
8/27/2014, 06:12 PM
a. this is an incredibly frustrating thread. I dont know in most of these posts whether you boys are talking about Mixon or DGB
b. where DGB is concerned. if he is a freak on the field he needs to show it on the field. Now that there is a rookie pay scale it doesn't necessarily behoove him to sit for 12 months and expect a team to draft him in the 4th round. He may fare better by playing a season at OU, being a lights out pass catcher, and going in the top 15 picks.

of course you guys are the real experts :-)

aurorasooner
8/27/2014, 06:16 PM
Stoops saying that having DGB for next season being "undecided" is definitely a change of tone. Of course, it's the first time he has addressed it since the waiver was denied. I didn't take the comments as optimistic, that's just me. Have we even appealed the NCAA's decision on DGB? Does the OU staff even plan to?

I just noticed that Michigan will appeal the NCAA's negative ruling on their medical hardship transfer from USCw. Also with Oregon's transfer from Cal appealing twice and winning both, it just seems to me, that if we don't make some kind of effort to appeal the DGB ruling, that any transfers with the hope of playing w/o sitting out a year and who are considering OU in the future may have 2nd thoughts about transferring to OU because our administration appears too wuss to attempt even a 1st appeal to the NCAA.

Perhaps our football administration is waiting on the NCAA's ruling on B. Mayfield, before they file an appeal on DGB.

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2014, 06:38 PM
Have we even appealed the NCAA's decision on DGB? Does the OU staff even plan to?

No. OU issued a statement that the matter is closed immediately after the waiver was denied. I must assume that was because of the reasoning behind the denial left no toe hold for an appeal. We appealed Saunders last season, so it's not because OU is hesitant to file an appeal.

This whole "run off" waiver seems a little sketchy anyway. It must be in the books to protect players that were deemed to be unfairly dismissed. If not, a player desiring to transfer would be highly motivated to start breaking team rules left and right. Coaches would have motivation to collude with the players just to get them out of their hair. My guess is that the documents filed by Mizzou were not fully supportive and contained some stuff that would be a bit embarrassing to OU if released. OU sure dropped it like a hot potato.

8timechamps
8/27/2014, 09:21 PM
a. this is an incredibly frustrating thread. I dont know in most of these posts whether you boys are talking about Mixon or DGB
b. where DGB is concerned. if he is a freak on the field he needs to show it on the field. Now that there is a rookie pay scale it doesn't necessarily behoove him to sit for 12 months and expect a team to draft him in the 4th round. He may fare better by playing a season at OU, being a lights out pass catcher, and going in the top 15 picks.

of course you guys are the real experts :-)

Regarding DGB:

The new collective bargaining agreement for the NFL (the one that changed rookie contracts) IMO, will definitely play a part in this. I know the kid is a freak, but I just don't see him getting a 1st round grade after missing a year of football (and really only showing 1 year of good football at Mizzou). So, given that the money for the second round (and later) isn't what it used to be, he could very well play at OU next year.

Or

He decides to go anyway.

8timechamps
8/27/2014, 09:29 PM
Stoops saying that having DGB for next season being "undecided" is definitely a change of tone. Of course, it's the first time he has addressed it since the waiver was denied. I didn't take the comments as optimistic, that's just me.

Stoops was asked:

"Do you expect Dorial to be back in 2015"

He answered:

"That isn't something that's been decided. Right now, it seems that he wants to do that and is heading that way, and we want to support him in every possible way."

That's a little more than just saying DGB is "undecided". Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a reason to jump for joy and count on him being at OU next year, but it's better than Stoops saying "I'm not going to discuss that".

BoulderSooner79
8/27/2014, 10:19 PM
I would have expected Stoops to say DGB is on the team and we're moving forward the same as any other player that is eligible to play next year. To say that "isn't something that's been decided" is not usually what you would hear about a player being redshirted or out for the year with injury. But the DGB is a very unique situation for this program. The fact that he is still in school at least says he prefers OU coaching at this point vs. going out and hiring a personal coach and gives him time to think about it.

aurorasooner
8/28/2014, 01:57 PM
I imagine DGB's deal went down something like this.

At first Pinkel (and the Missouri Staff) was on board with DGB transferring to OU and playing immediately. They told our staff they would send the NCAA the necessary paperwork. So our staff was confident that the NCAA would approve DGB (and they said so).
Then the talking heads at ESecPN and CBSec got to blasting the transfer because an eligible DGB at OU is not in the best interest of their money-maker, the SEC. An immediately eligible DGB in Norman would more than likely be a game-changer.
Then Mizzou's staff got some pressure from either or both their University administration and the SEC, probably saying, DGB's immediately playing this year is not in the best interest of their new conference, so they slow-played sending in their docs to the NCAA and when they did, they probably included (or didn't include or included more) than what they (the Mizzou coaches) told our staff they would include. Hence, the NCAA didn't approve the request, which left us in a real bad situation, since there is probably no up-side for OU in this transfer since he can't play this year and will probably go to the next level next year.
Hopefully, the cards fall our way, and he becomes a ""model citizen and comes back for his Sr. year, makes all-American, makes OU proud and makes all of the ESecPN and CBSec talking heads eat a big-ole chitburger.
Personally, I didn't like us making this deal and allowing him to transfer because I think he'll revert to his old ways and probably get into more trouble. I do hope he "mans up", honors his transfer by staying for his Sr. year and we don't have to cut him loose, but I do think the percentage are low that he will.

kbsooner21
8/28/2014, 02:09 PM
He will only go up if he stays and plays next year. I think he owes OU to do it also. They gave him a chance.

He doesn't owe OU anything imo.

BoulderSooner79
8/28/2014, 02:12 PM
He doesn't owe OU anything imo.

.. and vice versa. Would have been a great talent addition to have him, but just didn't work out. Most of us would have been just as excited about this '14 Sooner team had the whole DGB thing never come up.

freshchris05
8/28/2014, 02:25 PM
.. and vice versa. Would have been a great talent addition to have him, but just didn't work out. Most of us would have been just as excited about this '14 Sooner team had the whole DGB thing never come up.

For sure.

soonergirlNeugene
9/2/2014, 11:58 PM
Foxsports is saying DGB is coming back to play at OU in 2015.

Linkage (http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/dorial-green-beckham-2015-season-oklahoma-sooners-090214)

Widescreen
9/3/2014, 06:40 AM
That's nice to hear but until he's practicing in spring practice, I'll reserve judgment. Lots of guys say they intend to stay in school and then in January change their mind and declare for the draft. I guess we'll see.

70sooner
9/3/2014, 05:09 PM
Money talks....

soonergirlNeugene
9/3/2014, 05:15 PM
I think it's likely going to hinge on where he's projected to go in the draft. But if character issues are scaring teams off, he may think another year of highlights (and no incidents) will alleviate concerns. Really thats the only way I see him staying.

cvsooner
9/4/2014, 01:21 PM
Hmmm. Looks like Missouri didn't support the waiver after all, according to the Kansas City Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article1440641.html

dennis580
9/5/2014, 07:40 AM
I think it's likely going to hinge on where he's projected to go in the draft. But if character issues are scaring teams off, he may think another year of highlights (and no incidents) will alleviate concerns. Really thats the only way I see him staying.

Depends on if he wants to be a top 5 pick. He will probably be a late 1st round pick if he doesnt come back, but he probably be a top 5 pick if he comes back, and dominates like he has the potential to.

ouwasp
9/5/2014, 08:52 AM
Lot of interesting takes on this. I wonder if OU's level of success this year will sway DGB one way or the other?

When this occurred, I wasn't necessarily in favor of it, but figured I didn't know any more details than had been reported, and Bob, Joe, and Pres Boren all had to be on board, so we'll just see what happens....I knew the media would do their usual muck-raking.

Of course, the Ray Rice, Mixon, and Shannon situations blew things up way more than could have been expected. It will be a nice day when it is all behind us. But, since the Sooner Nation has had to deal with all sorts of friction, I hope at least something positive football-wise transpires from DGB and Mixon. Have little hope for Shannon.

SoonerorLater
9/5/2014, 08:56 AM
If DGB never plays another down of college football he will still be a top 10 type pick. Assuming no character issues present themselves between now and next year DGB will have accomplished what he needed to do, show himself to be a decent citizen. At that point he would be playing to possibly move up the draft order incrementally. The risk isn't worth the potential reward. I would be very surprised no matter what he says, that he will play at OU next year.

KantoSooner
9/5/2014, 09:24 AM
Okay, so this thing breaks out as:

1. DGB will play on OU's practice squad this season, offering an excellent measure for our DB's to gauge themselves against. And for our coaches to use as a measuring post for our WR's and how to use tall WRs.
2. He might stay and play next season, who knows? If he does, we have arguably the best receiver in the country. If he doesn't, OU's name still gets mentioned high on draft day.
3. His presence on the team causes the nancy-boy press to write articles about OU's supposed amorality. This causes stress and distraction to those easily stressed and distracted.
4. OU is out a schollie and the money it takes to provide that and player services (food, uniforms, etc) for a season.
5. We get some nebulous props with recruits for having provided him a 'second chance'.

I'm really not seeing much of a down side here, presuming he doesn't run amok through a local girls' school or set up a street pharmacy in Headington Hall.

Can we be done with this, now?

SoonerorLater
9/5/2014, 09:39 AM
Do we have anything more pressing on this board that we need to be working on?

KantoSooner
9/5/2014, 09:57 AM
Yes!
We need to be hating on Texas more. That is a task that is NEVER even remotely close to completion.
It is almost ten a.m. CDT and Texas still most assuredly sucks like a Hoover.

SoonerorLater
9/5/2014, 10:05 AM
Yes!
We need to be hating on Texas more. That is a task that is NEVER even remotely close to completion.
It is almost ten a.m. CDT and Texas still most assuredly sucks like a Hoover.

I have a crew working on this now.

KantoSooner
9/5/2014, 10:40 AM
In this regard, let me refer your researchers to Arkansas. I don't always agree with my piggy neighbors, but I must absolutely admire and remark upon their resolute hatred of UT football. Truly inspiring. Regularly brings tears to my eyes. A people who hate Texas that much simply can't be all bad.