PDA

View Full Version : This just said about Joe Mixon

Pages : [1] 2

olevetonahill
8/17/2014, 11:14 PM
Joe Mixon Note By: The Brainiacs Posted on: August 17, 2014

We spoke to a couple people this afternoon about the Joe Mixon situation. Here is what we have been told:

- Mixon was cleared by compliance and unless there are further developments, he will be allowed to remain on the team.

- Mixon has occasionally been at practice watching, but not participating. He still works out on his own, but he hasn’t been allowed to do much more beyond that.

- We’ve been told Mixon will be redshirted this year and that an announcement could come as early as this week.

http://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-joe-mixon-note-5

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2014, 11:22 PM
http://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-joe-mixon-note-5

Hope it's not true, but TFB seem to have good sources most the time. I really didn't expect it to be the whole season.

olevetonahill
8/17/2014, 11:32 PM
Hope it's not true, but TFB seem to have good sources most the time. I really didn't expect it to be the whole season.

What part do you HOPE is not true?

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2014, 11:46 PM
That he'll be redshirted.

olevetonahill
8/17/2014, 11:53 PM
That he'll be redshirted.

Why? I figured he would be all along.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2014, 11:57 PM
I thought he'd get 3-4 games suspension with a chance to contribute by season's end. And if he does become as good as projected, a redshirt year is a waste.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 12:13 AM
TFB is the only site I have seen the redshirt rumor. other sites say they have heard that but also that he will have around a 4 gamer.

BTW TFB were the ones who said they had it on good sources that he didn't throw a punch when this all started. They also reported Saban to Texas.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 12:25 AM
Yes, TFB has certainly been wrong before.

JLEW1818
8/18/2014, 07:00 AM
TFB is the only site I have seen the redshirt rumor. other sites say they have heard that but also that he will have around a 4 gamer.

BTW TFB were the ones who said they had it on good sources that he didn't throw a punch when this all started. They also reported Saban to Texas.

I'm still calling RedShirt.
Won't know for sure until after the national championship game.

SoonerorLater
8/18/2014, 07:21 AM
I can't understand the rationale for redshirting Mixon other than punishment.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 09:22 AM
I can't understand the rationale for redshirting Mixon other than punishment.

A true FR missing all of fall camp could be a factor too.

badger
8/18/2014, 09:41 AM
A true FR missing all of fall camp could be a factor too.

Beyond that, OU doesn't need more media headaches. They're already taking a lot of national flack for the DGB transfer and the Frank Shannon situation.

As a reminder, DGB has been accused of assaulting a woman (http://www.komu.com/news/text-messages-shed-light-on-dgb-burglary-assault-allegations-55423/), on suspicion of drug activity (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10278018/dorial-green-beckham-missouri-tigers-arrested-released), and then another drug issue. (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-04-12/dorial-green-beckham-dismissal-missouri-says-enough)

Frank Shannon is accused of sexually assaulting a woman. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/08/11/oklahoma-suspends-lead-tackler-frank-shannon-for-season/13916025/)

But, if it matters, most of these charges were either reduced or dropped after the accusations began. It would probably matter less if they weren't all grouped together when talking about ethics and moral standards and college football increasingly becoming more about winning than helping young men grow in sport and education

KantoSooner
8/18/2014, 09:56 AM
Badg, it's always good to remember that an accusation does not equal truth. I could accuse you of child abuse of your little one sight unseen. And, though the accusation would be absurd on its face, some people out there in teevee land would believe it and would move immediately to strip you of custody and assign your baby to some lovely foster home. It's just the way we, as a society, roll these days. I'd prefer that 'we' (OU), did our best to do what we believed to be right and let the chips fall where they may. The Jerry Springer/Oprah/Dr. Oz/Dr. Phil/Dr. Drew BS carnival ends someday and I'd prefer that we had been, at least sometimes, on the side of sanity and common sense.

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 10:14 AM
Badg, it's always good to remember that an accusation does not equal truth. I could accuse you of child abuse of your little one sight unseen. And, though the accusation would be absurd on its face, some people out there in teevee land would believe it and would move immediately to strip you of custody and assign your baby to some lovely foster home. It's just the way we, as a society, roll these days. I'd prefer that 'we' (OU), did our best to do what we believed to be right and let the chips fall where they may. The Jerry Springer/Oprah/Dr. Oz/Dr. Phil/Dr. Drew BS carnival ends someday and I'd prefer that we had been, at least sometimes, on the side of sanity and common sense.

Yup Look at me. I was accused of being a decent civilized human being once and we all KNOW that aint so.

SoonerorLater
8/18/2014, 10:19 AM
Beyond that, OU doesn't need more media headaches. They're already taking a lot of national flack for the DGB transfer and the Frank Shannon situation.

As a reminder, DGB has been accused of assaulting a woman (http://www.komu.com/news/text-messages-shed-light-on-dgb-burglary-assault-allegations-55423/), on suspicion of drug activity (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10278018/dorial-green-beckham-missouri-tigers-arrested-released), and then another drug issue. (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-04-12/dorial-green-beckham-dismissal-missouri-says-enough)

Frank Shannon is accused of sexually assaulting a woman. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/08/11/oklahoma-suspends-lead-tackler-frank-shannon-for-season/13916025/)

But, if it matters, most of these charges were either reduced or dropped after the accusations began. It would probably matter less if they weren't all grouped together when talking about ethics and moral standards and college football increasingly becoming more about winning than helping young men grow in sport and education

We need to stop courting public opinion and worrying about the media's latest social crusades. The University of Oklahoma should handle Joe Mixon as an individual (as well as the others). Each case should be handled on it's own merits.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 10:36 AM

It's certainly true OU doesn't need more media headaches, but it's really not fair for that to be a factor against any particular individual.

We really don't know yet what the school is going to do. But I don't assume the DA is an idiot like so many wearing crimson shades. There are parts of his statement that make me wonder, but he knows the content of every witness interview and has viewed the video. He has 1000% more info than any poster here and he chose to file charges. And he certainly had ample time to mull the situation.

If Boren/Stoops impose a school penalty, they also have much more information than we do. They have access to Mixon himself. And not discussed here, but I've seen references to other players there too, but I don't know if that's just rumor. Stoops can ask directly "what the h*ll happened and I don't want any GD lawyer speak". If Mixon truly was an innocent bystander, I think Stoops would back him as such, but I don't think he was.

cherokeebrewer
8/18/2014, 10:47 AM
My gut feeling now is Joe gets a 2-4 game suspension and on the kinder & gentler side of myself...I hope Mia gets help for her obvious troubled soul...

SoonerorLater
8/18/2014, 10:47 AM
It's certainly true OU doesn't need more media headaches, but it's really not fair for that to be a factor against any particular individual.

We really don't know yet what the school is going to do. But I don't assume the DA is an idiot like so many wearing crimson shades. There are parts of his statement that make me wonder, but he knows the content of every witness interview and has viewed the video. He has 1000% more info than any poster here and he chose to file charges. And he certainly had ample time to mull the situation.

If Boren/Stoops impose a school penalty, they also have much more information than we do. They have access to Mixon himself. And not discussed here, but I've seen references to other players there too, but I don't know if that's just rumor. Stoops can ask directly "what the h*ll happened and I don't want any GD lawyer speak". If Mixon truly was an innocent bystander, I think Stoops would back him as such, but I don't think he was.

It would be difficult for Stoops to do. I don't think he would even want to interject himself into an ongoing legal issue. Pretty sure Mixon's lawyer would never allow carte blanche in interviewing Mixon, head coach or not.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 10:57 AM
It would be difficult for Stoops to do. I don't think he would even want to interject himself into an ongoing legal issue. Pretty sure Mixon's lawyer would never allow carte blanche in interviewing Mixon, head coach or not.

There was a sighting of Stoops + Mixon heading to Boren's office sans lawyer weeks ago. Mixon lawyering up against his own head coach doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 11:25 AM
I think yer reachin Bro. He Lawyered up cause he was facing the possibility of some serious charges.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 11:31 AM
I think yer reachin Bro. He Lawyered up cause he was facing the possibility of some serious charges.

Could be just another bogus rumor. It was posted on LT that Stoops and Mixon marched to Boren's office by someone on campus claiming to see it. Even if true, he might not have been able to say anything, but this was right before the official school announcement that he would not be participating in football activities. Quick, Tapper and a few other names were thrown out as possibly being at the scene too. If true, maybe coaches could talk to them. I gotta believe Stoops was not in the dark as much as the fans were.

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 11:43 AM
Could be just another bogus rumor. It was posted on LT that Stoops and Mixon marched to Boren's office by someone on campus claiming to see it. Even if true, he might not have been able to say anything, but this was right before the official school announcement that he would not be participating in football activities. Quick, Tapper and a few other names were thrown out as possibly being at the scene too. If true, maybe coaches could talk to them. I gotta believe Stoops was not in the dark as much as the fans were.

Lots of idiotic rumors were swirling around when this 1st happened. Hell I'd of Lawyered up the next morning before I talked to ANYONE.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 11:46 AM
lol TFB already backpedaling.

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 11:49 AM
lol TFB already backpedaling.

How is this "Backpedaling?

- UPDATE (Monday, 6:42 am): After speaking to another source this morning, we want to clarify a couple of things. Our original note on Joe Mixon should NOT be taken as an implication that punishment set by the university would be a required redshirt. The punishment has not yet been dealt. We are being told Joe will redshirt based primarily on the number of games he would be expected to miss via some type of suspension.

- Also, we were told that as of now Joe Mixon intends on staying regardless of what punishment is set by the university. But that could obviously change as things have yet to be officially finalized and people can always change their mind.

- UPDATE (Monday, 6:42 am): After speaking to another source this morning, we want to clarify a couple of things. Our original note on Joe Mixon should NOT be taken as an implication that punishment set by the university would be a required redshirt. The punishment has not yet been dealt. We are being told Joe will redshirt based primarily on the number of games he would be expected to miss via some type of suspension.

- Also, we were told that as of now Joe Mixon intends on staying regardless of what punishment is set by the university. But that could obviously change as things have yet to be officially finalized and people can always change their mind.

swardboy
8/18/2014, 11:58 AM
Bring back the Joe Mixon rumor thread!!!!!

badger
8/18/2014, 01:01 PM
Meh the season's less than two weeks away. Pretty soon rumor talk will shift to actual football talk and we'll be discussing the players on the field, not the ones that might never see the field

FREE MIKE BALOGUN

Sooner in Tampa
8/18/2014, 01:03 PM
Mixon will be in court in 28 minutes...(230pm)...allegedly...

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 01:03 PM
Meh the season's less than two weeks away. Pretty soon rumor talk will shift to actual football talk and we'll be discussing the players on the field, not the ones that might never see the field

FREE MIKE BALOGUN

^This. School begins and real game prep starts today. I thought the first depth chart would be published by now, but it should be soon.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 01:32 PM
How is this "Backpedaling?

Went from he will redshirt to he will probably redshirt because of how many games he will miss. You can tell they are backing up from it.

Sooner in Tampa
8/18/2014, 01:35 PM
Michael Kinney ‏@EyeAmTruth · now
Feels like every media organization is at the Cleveland County Courthouse for the Joe Mixon arraignment

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 01:40 PM
Michael Kinney ‏@EyeAmTruth · now
Feels like every media organization is at the Cleveland County Courthouse for the Joe Mixon arraignment

I'm sure it will be a shocking event: charges read, Mixon pleads not guilty via his lawyer, next appearance date set.

Will make a great made -for-TV movie!

badger
8/18/2014, 01:41 PM
Pro prospects these days favor less college carries in hopes that they can have a longer NFL shelf life than pros seem to get these days, it seems. If he has to sit out practice, games or even an entire season, that might not be the worst thing.

But, it must be hard being so far from his California home and not being able to do what you came to OU for. I am of course referring to attending class to get a quality education and degree. Fortunately classes begin today :P

Sooner in Tampa
8/18/2014, 01:43 PM
Justin Hite ‏@justinmhite · now
Joe Mixon released on own recognizance. No bail set but must got through booking process

Sooner in Tampa
8/18/2014, 01:44 PM
@RJ_Young
JOE MIXON: Judge Stice orders the video will not be disseminated by either party until the case is resolved or tried.

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 01:56 PM

Yeah, I think they're pretty good when it comes to recruiting, but I don't think they have any line to Stoops when it comes to the actual team.

I doubt Stoops has made a final decision (and why would he until the legal part is settled), so for anyone to say they know the punishment right now is kinda crazy.

badger
8/18/2014, 01:57 PM
If this isn't the most valuable "walk away" lesson that OU football ever received.

On the field? Don't get a penalty, don't get ejected, just WALK AWAY.

Off the field? Don't get arrested, charged, booking and bailed out, just WALK AWAY.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 01:59 PM
Biggest thing I got out of this is Mixon's attorney saying he would have been in class today if it wasn't for the arraignment. Meaning it sounds like he's not transferring...

Sooner in Tampa
8/18/2014, 02:00 PM
Justin Hite ‏@justinmhite 1h

Ultimately, no plea was entered in the courtroom. Judge Stice met with both sides in private before hand and Mixon had 2 attorneys present.

Matt Swain was the other attorney present...take that for what it's worth...

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 02:03 PM
Biggest thing I got out of this is Mixon's attorney saying he would have been in class today if it wasn't for the arraignment. Meaning it sounds like he's not transferring...

I hope someone took down the homework assignment for Joe, so he doesn't get behind.

:highly_amused:

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 02:04 PM
Justin Hite ‏@justinmhite 1h

Ultimately, no plea was entered in the courtroom. Judge Stice met with both sides in private before hand and Mixon had 2 attorneys present.

Always good to have a backup attorney as Finlay could pull a hammy.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 02:06 PM
If he can practice then this thing being dragged out a bit isn't a big deal because he won't be playing anyways because of the probable suspension.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 02:14 PM
I hope someone took down the homework assignment for Joe, so he doesn't get behind.

:highly_amused:

Usually just bullchit the first day. All my classes just went over syllabus today.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 02:29 PM

From whom are we taking a lot of national flack? I watch and listen to ESPN, Fox Sports, etc..and frankly I'm not hearing anything about OU unless it's related to our high ranking in early polls.

Sooner in Tampa
8/18/2014, 02:34 PM
OH Hell....

The Sports Animal ‏@sportsanimal

Cleveland County District Attorney Greg Mashburn will join Jim Traber and @markrsports at 3:15p

SoonerMarkVA
8/18/2014, 02:53 PM
OH Hell....

Cleveland County District Attorney Greg Mashburn will join Jim Traber and @markrsports at 3:15p

Uh, that sounds like a bad idea.

I'm beginning to take seriously the suggestion that maybe he's a closet OU fan trying to throw the whole thing.

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 03:02 PM
From whom are we taking a lot of national flack? I watch and listen to ESPN, Fox Sports, etc..and frankly I'm not hearing anything about OU unless it's related to our high ranking in early polls.

Unless I get online and look for it, I haven't heard anything about this ordeal. Even over the weekend, when I watched some of the preseason prediction shows, they never mentioned the Mixon situation when talking about Oklahoma.

This is a local story, and it's only being hyped by local media with nothing better to cover.

Remember Devon Thomas, the OSU RB recruit? He tried to kill a guy after robbing him, and we only heard a couple of stories about that. The Oklahoma media looks like a bunch of clowns the way they are handling this.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 03:04 PM
Unless I get online and look for it, I haven't heard anything about this ordeal. Even over the weekend, when I watched some of the preseason prediction shows, they never mentioned the Mixon situation when talking about Oklahoma.

This is a local story, and it's only being hyped by local media with nothing better to cover.

Remember Devon Thomas, the OSU RB recruit? He tried to kill a guy after robbing him, and we only heard a couple of stories about that. The Oklahoma media looks like a bunch of clowns the way they are handling this.

Exactly! There is no national media outcry about DGB, Frank Shannon, Joe Mixon, or anyone, or anything else that's going on at OU.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 03:08 PM
I think the thing is the handwringers and do-gooders want to imagine there's some national interest in what's going on at OU, that we're under some spotlight with these things, and it's just not there. It's kinda like whoever it was making up his own story about Mixon & alcohol to justify his feelings on the matter.

KantoSooner
8/18/2014, 03:34 PM
Curly, You got that just about right. Hell, many of my friends from other parts of the country don't pay any attention to college FB at all. (they're pro fans, baseball fans, coupla lacrosse outliers and some....gasp....who don't follow sports at all). Now, many of these would immediately assume the worst if they heard anything at all, but then those folks would believe it if you told them that no CFB player ever attended classes, raped every woman who crossed their paths, when the drugs allowed them the wherewithal to do so, and ate babies.
large potions of our fellow citizens could hardly find Oklahoma on a map, much less spend any of their limited brain cells thinking about what goes on here. Relax, this, too, shall pass.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 03:44 PM
I disagree. Most folks can find Oklahoma on a map because they show that little map on the LCD screen as the plane flies over it.

:listening_headphone

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 03:46 PM
he pleaded not guilty

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 03:47 PM
Curly, You got that just about right. Hell, many of my friends from other parts of the country don't pay any attention to college FB at all. (they're pro fans, baseball fans, coupla lacrosse outliers and some....gasp....who don't follow sports at all). Now, many of these would immediately assume the worst if they heard anything at all, but then those folks would believe it if you told them that no CFB player ever attended classes, raped every woman who crossed their paths, when the drugs allowed them the wherewithal to do so, and ate babies.
large potions of our fellow citizens could hardly find Oklahoma on a map, much less spend any of their limited brain cells thinking about what goes on here. Relax, this, too, shall pass.

Truth. I listen to national sports radio frequently, and probably more than anything I listen to ESPN Radio out of Dallas - and even the Texas station isn't making a big deal out of any of this. (or even talking about it for that matter)

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 03:54 PM
lol, mixon gone for the year per ou.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 03:55 PM
Uh, that sounds like a bad idea.

I'm beginning to take seriously the suggestion that maybe he's a closet OU fan trying to throw the whole thing.

Me too! I mentioned that possibility as a joke before, but now I wondering if Mashburn really is trying to supply grounds for the judge to just dismiss the while thing.

badger
8/18/2014, 03:56 PM
From whom are we taking a lot of national flack?

This guy lists off some of what's being said elsewhere. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/blog/ou-sports-national-critics-start-to-zero-in-on-the/article_1c135c31-5618-5286-be36-f35a1c274da4.html) Cliff's Notes version: The Sporting News and CBS Sports.

OH Hell....

The previous Cleveland County DA decided to go on national TV when that poor girl from Purcell was murdered to read off the murderer's evil plans (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/15/ok.missinggirl/index.html?eref=yahoo) for a media soundbyte.

Granted, this is not a child murder case, but this appears to be a DA once again seeking unnecessary publicity in front of a media audience. Cleveland Co voters dumped the incumbent in the very next election, likely out of disgust

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 03:57 PM
A mutual combat misdemeanor and OU suspends him a year. LOL

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 03:59 PM
This means mixon is not only gone for the year but will never dress in a sooner uniform officially. He won't be able to practice now even and he will transfer.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 04:02 PM
Forced redshirt is one thing, suspension for a year is brutal. No football activities - ouch.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:05 PM
Forced redshirt is one thing, suspension for a year is brutal. No football activities - ouch.

And they welcome a kid (DGB) who pushed a women down the stairs and kick someone off for reacting to be assaulted.

Not happy with my university right now.....makes you think about sending your kids there....

If I am a recruit......I would be watching right now.

cherokeebrewer
8/18/2014, 04:06 PM
This means mixon is not only gone for the year but will never dress in a sooner uniform officially. He won't be able to practice now even and he will transfer.

Unfortunately you're probably right, but he might stick it out. I hate all this, but hey...we're going to be really good anyway.

badger

If he transfers to Mizzou and those Tigers ask for immediate eligibility, a cruel, cruel irony will have taken place.

Curly Bill
If I was him I'd transfer. Why play for a university that hammers you harder than it really has to?

badger
8/18/2014, 04:09 PM
The (insert team he chooses to transfer to here) are making a case under the "run-off" waiver, that he lost his spot on OU's roster out of his control.

:mad:

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 04:10 PM

The watch now begins to see if he stays in Norman.

This was my concern from the beginning.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 04:11 PM
The watch now begins to see if he stays in Norman.

This was my concern from the beginning.

What are the odds? 50-50?

I'm betting that he's out of here.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:12 PM
Oh and I am here to eat crow.....wow.

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 04:12 PM

I'd have to say a little higher that he's gone.

I think once this is over, he's back in Cali.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 04:13 PM

What did you mess up? If you put any faith in the Boren and the university to do the right thing, you deserve a big helping of crow!

CK Sooner

I don't know all the facts yet but if he is eligible to play without sitting out a year then I would say 90% he's gone.

BoulderSooner79
If he transfers to Mizzou and those Tigers ask for immediate eligibility, a cruel, cruel irony will have taken place.

LOL - prisoner exchange agreement?

8timechamps

Not necessary.

I hope he sticks around, but I don't see it happening.

Curly Bill
I'd have to say a little higher that he's gone.

I think once this is over, he's back in Cali.

I called it! I said USC, but I think he's gone to one of those schools -USC, UCLA, Cal....

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:15 PM
What did you mess up? If you put any faith in the Boren and the university to do the right thing, you deserve a big helping of crow!

I was sure it wouldn't be more than a 4 game suspension. Pay sites were saying 4 games also....just wow.

You have to think this sets a precedent now with future punishment? Hate to think that they took such a hard stance because of the dgb shannon situation but if they did......pathetic.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 04:16 PM
I don't know all the facts yet but if he is eligible to play without sitting out a year then I would say 90% he's gone.

I assume he would have to sit. But could he at least practice with another team for the year? Being excluded from practice/workouts is a huge blow at this level of competition.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:17 PM
Also I am pretty sure they pulled his scholly also...

nighttrain12
8/18/2014, 04:18 PM
I'm glad my University has these high standards, especially in regards to violence against women.

http://newsok.com/update-joe-mixon-suspended-for-2014-15-season/article/5292921

In a joint statement released by the university, OU athletics director Joe Castiglione and football coach Bob Stoops said, “As the university has demonstrated in the past, we are committed to winning the right way. As an example to others, OU sets the highest possible standards for its student athletes, coaches and staff.”

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 04:19 PM
I'm glad my University has these high standards, especially in regards to violence against women.

How did you type that as you wrung your hands, and knitting a sweater at the same time? Impressive!!

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:21 PM

If not being sarcastic, you realize they are fighting to get a guy who pushed a girl down a flight of stairs...right?

badger
8/18/2014, 04:24 PM
I hope I get better news at the car repair place tonight.

Shocks and struts... c'mon don't need replacing please! :(:(:(:(

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 04:24 PM
If not being sarcastic, you realize they are fighting to get a guy who pushed a girl down a flight of stairs...right?

Our high standards probably aren't as applicable when the "student athlete" in question is a proven commodity. But call me a skeptic.

cherokeebrewer
8/18/2014, 04:27 PM
I assume he would have to sit. But could he at least practice with another team for the year? Being excluded from practice/workouts is a huge blow at this level of competition.

Yeah, that pretty much insures he transfers, hard to blame him. But with the media circus surrounding all this and the video sure to be released at some point, maybe it's best for him and OU...dang I wish he had just slapped her back and left.

badger
8/18/2014, 04:28 PM
Our high standards probably aren't as applicable when the "student athlete" in question is a proven commodity. But call me a skeptic.

Five stars > four stars.

If I wasn't in public I would be banging my head against a rock or a hard place :(

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 04:30 PM
Five stars > four stars.

If I wasn't in public I would be banging my head against a rock or a hard place :(

They were both 5 stars. In fact DGB was the #1 player in the nation when he came out. And DGB has proven he can be a player at the college level.

So...WTF are you talking about?

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 04:31 PM
Yeah, that pretty much insures he transfers, hard to blame him. But with the media circus surrounding all this and the video sure to be released at some point, maybe it's best for him and OU...dang I wish he had just slapped her back and left.

But I'm not even sure the suspension wouldn't follow him if he transferred.

Regarding your last statement - amen. Even a good open-handed smack that left a shiner would have long been forgotten by now.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:32 PM
Another point is that if he transfers he can at least redshirt...I think. He can't do that at OU off scholarship, if my thinking is correct.

badger
8/18/2014, 04:34 PM
They were both 5 stars. In fact DGB was the #1 player in the nation when he came out. And DGB has proven he can be a player at the college level.

So...WTF are you talking about?

Based on ESPN rankings (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/videos/_/id/166029/joe-mixon). DGB 5 stars, Mixon 4 stars, I realize that the sites aren't unanimous usually, but whatever, being upset about this isn't going to make Aug. 30 get here any faster

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:37 PM
I don't think he can transfer using the run off rule because he isn't kicked out of the university....

Maybe this was all planned out and he plans on staying....hopefully more info comes out soon.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 04:39 PM
Another point is that if he transfers he can at least redshirt...I think. He can't do that at OU off scholarship, if my thinking is correct.

Reading the Devonte Fields case at TCU, his suspension at TCU made him ineligible to participate at another school. I don't know if the situation is the same, but if so, the only reason for Mixon to transfer would be for the fresh start.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 04:41 PM
Based on ESPN rankings (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/videos/_/id/166029/joe-mixon). DGB 5 stars, Mixon 4 stars, I realize that the sites aren't unanimous usually, but whatever, being upset about this isn't going to make Aug. 30 get here any faster

It burned up a few minutes.

:witless:

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 04:42 PM

I hate ESPN's rankings, but nonetheless I think we were on the same page. I thought you were trying to say Mixon was the higher rated player (FWIW).

For the record: Rivals had em both as 5 stars, but DGB was their #1 rated player for 2012 (again FWIW)

Anyway, not real happy with the program/university when it appears all someone would have to do to get any particular player thrown under the jail is hire some drunken skank to goad them into defending themselves.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 04:43 PM
Maybe this was all planned out and he plans on staying....hopefully more info comes out soon.

This for sure - Stoops didn't decide this today. I'm sure Mixon knew about this for some time now.

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 04:46 PM
lol, mixon gone for the year per ou.

Why is that funny? Yer a weird little dude.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 04:46 PM
I normally couldn't care less about Bob's statements to the media - it being largely his brand of belligerent coach speak, but I do want to hear what he says about this dealio.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:47 PM
Why is that funny? Yer a weird little dude.

Yes, its absolutely comical, imo.

More-so I was referring to the decision to take a kids scholly and kick him off the team for a misdemeanor retaliation punch.

Why am I weird?

Alum81
8/18/2014, 04:52 PM
Samaje Perine

EatLeadCommie
8/18/2014, 04:52 PM
Can anybody recall if Broyles received the same punishment?

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 04:53 PM
It's funny because it would seem the university is being run by a 16th century Puritan.

...and that it sends a message to OU "student athletes" that if they defend themselves in a social setting they'll likely be suspended from their sport.

Barring some news from the university that might be forthcoming it is an absurd situation.

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 04:54 PM
Yes, its absolutely comical, imo.

More-so I was referring to the decision to take a kids scholly and kick him off the team for a misdemeanor retaliation punch.

Why am I weird?

You've always been a weird little fella.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:54 PM
Can anybody recall if Broyles received the same punishment?

redshirt

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 04:55 PM
You've always been a weird little fella.

lol, fair enough. but what did I say that was weird now? :abnormal:

KantoSooner
8/18/2014, 04:56 PM
I disagree. Most folks can find Oklahoma on a map because they show that little map on the LCD screen as the plane flies over it.

:listening_headphone

You're assuming that your fellow citizens can read. Dangerous assumption.

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 04:56 PM
IF (that's a big IF), he does stay and rejoins the team next spring, he'll still have 4 years of eligibility and a redshirt available. I would be extremely surprised if he stays, but maybe his folks want him to stay.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 04:57 PM
IF (that's a big IF), he does stay and rejoins the team next spring, he'll still have 4 years of eligibility and a redshirt available. I would be extremely surprised if he stays, but maybe his folks want him to stay.

Am I wrong to suggest he'd be a dumb a** to stay?

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 04:57 PM
Anyway, not real happy with the program/university when it appears all someone would have to do to get any particular player thrown under the jail is hire some drunken skank to goad them into defending themselves.

I'm not real happy either, but not because of that far fetched reason. I don't see armies of drunken skanks for hire showing up every where. I don't think Mixon is the total innocent bystander, but there are a lot of mitigating circumstances that make me question this action. He was 1 day into being a legal adult and had not been in Norman long enough to really be considered part of the team. He hadn't really lived the "Stoops way" yet. And he was confronted with a situation that no one would ever expect or be ready to deal with. And I don't see much value in setting an example for something that is highly unlikely to happen to any future player. Suspend him a few games, but let him mature while developing skills both on and off the field. I'm almost hoping something else bad comes out to make this look justified. Or better yet, that Mixon is mentally tough and can live with the life's not fair postulate.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 05:04 PM
I'm not real happy either, but not because of that far fetched reason. I don't see armies of drunken skanks for hire showing up every where. I don't think Mixon is the total innocent bystander, but there are a lot of mitigating circumstances that make me question this action. He was 1 day into being a legal adult and had not been in Norman long enough to really be considered part of the team. He hadn't really lived the "Stoops way" yet. And he was confronted with a situation that no one would ever expect or be ready to deal with. And I don't see much value in setting an example for something that is highly unlikely to happen to any future player. Suspend him a few games, but let him mature while developing skills both on and off the field. I'm almost hoping something else bad comes out to make this look justified. Or better yet, that Mixon is mentally tough and can live with the life's not fair postulate.

I'd have no problem if this happened. I've joked, well only half joking really, that he should be given a lollipop and a medal, but a suspension of 2-4 games would not have been too far fetched for my liking. This would have given him time to mature and adjust to college and college football life while redshirting, as you suggest.

But a one year suspension just seems awfully heavy-handed, unless of course more news comes out as you stated.

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 05:06 PM
Am I wrong to suggest he'd be a dumb a** to stay?

Maybe a little harsh, but I can honestly say I would be gone yesterday.

I wonder what he's hearing from coaches/players. Is AD in his ear telling him to stay? The whole thing is a cluster****.

If this were an isolated incident, and there wasn't a Shannon/DGB, I could understand this punishment a little better. But, the way this has all gone down is just screwy.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 05:12 PM
Maybe a little harsh, but I can honestly say I would be gone yesterday.

I wonder what he's hearing from coaches/players. Is AD in his ear telling him to stay?The whole thing is a cluster****.

If this were an isolated incident, and there wasn't a Shannon/DGB, I could understand this punishment a little better. But, the way this has all gone down is just screwy.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed!

REDREX
8/18/2014, 05:23 PM
He will be gone----Classes in Cali don't start for another month I bet he will head that way--------This is stupid----I bet Boren didn't like the gay slur

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 05:26 PM
Is Boren running for office again?

If so maybe he's trying to get the ghey vote, and the womens vote, and the beta male handwringer vote - that'd be a pretty big voting bloc.

REDREX
8/18/2014, 05:31 PM
I think Boren always got the gay vote

EatLeadCommie
8/18/2014, 05:32 PM
Bob and Joe apparently recommended this course of action to Boren, so I guess they're content with the RB situation. Gonna suck when we get our inevitable injuries at that position and don't have Mixon there on the roster.

A total overreaction by OU here. A redshirt season I can understand. Full on suspension for a year and banishment from team activities is far more inexcusable than anything Joe Mixon did. This is shameful on the part of OU. Just shameful. I hope Joe has some sort of recourse available to him and that this is largely a symbolic action that can be undone with an appeal.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 05:37 PM
Bob and Joe apparently recommended this course of action to Boren, so I guess they're content with the RB situation. Gonna suck when we get our inevitable injuries at that position and don't have Mixon there on the roster.

A total overreaction by OU here. A redshirt season I can understand. Full on suspension for a year and banishment from team activities is far more inexcusable than anything Joe Mixon did. This is shameful on the part of OU. Just shameful. I hope Joe has some sort of recourse available to him and that this is largely a symbolic action that can be undone with an appeal.

My guess is they'd have to signoff on what Boren did if they agreed or not. Gotta toe the company line.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 05:51 PM
He will be gone----Classes in Cali don't start for another month I bet he will head that way--------This is stupid----I bet Boren didn't like the gay slur

I didn't like the gay slur either. Not because the gay part, but the DA called it out as did every account I read - rumor or otherwise. This is the reason I don't think Mixon was an innocent bystander. It seemed he was fully involved with escalating or even instigating the encounter while it was still a verbal affair. Both parties can be wrong and I believe that is the case here. But I still don't agree with the punishment unless there is more to the story.

Sooner91ATL
8/18/2014, 06:00 PM
The punishment is deserved. He could have walked away. Cleaning a drunk little skank's clock and shattering her face is not defending oneself from her weak azz little slap and hurty words. I hope NCAA takes this OU diligence into account because our success this year hinges way more on Mayfield's eligibility than Mixon's. Broyles didn't play for a year and he turned out ok. Mixon can go a long way to show his lack of punkitude if he sticks around, takes his medicine, and comes back a la Broyles to set records.

cherokeebrewer
8/18/2014, 06:06 PM
Police conspiracy theories aside, that leads us to the probable cause affidavit filed by NPD, unless you believe the cops lied about the video, which would be pretty stupid if they did..Short version:

A verbal altercation took place outside and inside the store
Joe called Mia's friend a fag (Not yet proven as fact)
Mia being very angry at Joe for something, shoves/pushes him while verbally assauting him with the n-word
Joe lunges at Mia
Mia slaps Joe

Option 1...Simply shove Mia aside and leave
Opyion 2...Shove Mia down on her butt and leave
Option 3...Return Mia's slap with a slap and leave
Option 4...Punch Mia in the face and leave

Joe punches Mia in the face causing a fractured jaw, fractured cheek bone, fractured sinux and a fractured orbit which caused eye hematoma

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 06:13 PM
The punishment is deserved. He could have walked away. Cleaning a drunk little skank's clock and shattering her face is not defending oneself from her weak azz little slap and hurty words. I hope NCAA takes this OU diligence into account because our success this year hinges way more on Mayfield's eligibility than Mixon's. Broyles didn't play for a year and he turned out ok. Mixon can go a long way to show his lack of punkitude if he sticks around, takes his medicine, and comes back a la Broyles to set records.

I don't think our success this year depends on either.

Mixon would have been a nice addition to the depth chart, but unless he's the next AD, he wasn't going to start ahead of Ford and/or Ross. That's not to say he wouldn't have been a nice addition.

I'm still not sure Mayfield would even be the back-up to Knight. I know he was getting a lot of praise over the spring, but since camp starter, Thomas has been the one standing out (of the back-ups).

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 06:16 PM
I don't think our success this year depends on either.

Mixon would have been a nice addition to the depth chart, but unless he's the next AD, he wasn't going to start ahead of Ford and/or Ross. That's not to say he wouldn't have been a nice addition.

I'm still not sure Mayfield would even be the back-up to Knight. I know he was getting a lot of praise over the spring, but since camp starter, Thomas has been the one standing out (of the back-ups).

Dude, he wasn't serious about that. He was just trying to make something to fit his narrative.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 06:20 PM

I can't see anyway Mayfield's case can be influenced by the Mixon deal. Apples and ducks.

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 06:24 PM

Never been 18 have ya, were you born an Old southern gentleman? Im 18 and some Ho and Ho-boys start gettin all up in my face Ima verbally fire right back Hell Id do it now and Im an old fart.
It aint so easy to walk away when yer young.

Sooner91ATL
8/18/2014, 06:28 PM
Trevor Knight has been injured twice in 4 games last year. Baker Mayfield was B12 freshman of the year last year. If anyone thinks we won't need the 2nd team QB on the field at some point, their koolaid needs refreshing. Baker is critical to have on the field if needed. Seems that is not debatable given proven track records - ie, facts.

Bill - no narrative is weaker than claiming self defense to punch a girl. Only the scrote-less and old worlders enjoy hitting girls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo0d1zTAFKA

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 06:29 PM
Trevor Knight has been injured twice in 4 games last year. Baker Mayfield was B12 freshman of the year last year. If anyone thinks we won't need the 2nd team QB on the field at some point, their koolaid needs refreshing. Baker is critical to have on the field if needed. Seems that is not debatable given proven track records - ie, facts.

Bill - no narrative is weaker than claiming self defense to punch a girl. Only the scrote-less and old worlders enjoy hitting girls.

But can ya knit me a sweater before it turns cold?

cherokeebrewer
8/18/2014, 06:33 PM
If Baker Mayfield is declared eligible, he will be the back-up QB...IMHO

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 06:36 PM
Never been 18 have ya, were you born an Old southern gentleman? Im 18 and some Ho and Ho-boys start gettin all up in my face Ima verbally fire right back Hell Id do it now and Im an old fart.
It aint so easy to walk away when yer young.

You're talking to Don Quixote. Born with chivalrous manners, and sees a damsel in distress where most of us see a belligerent drunken skank.

Anyway, he's offered to knit me a sweater - so I got that going for me.

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 06:41 PM

Well I got a Scrotum so I must be Old world. But Never said I enjoyed hittin Girls unless you Mean like "Hittin it" then thats fun
Just said when some Loud mouths go to jawing it aint so easy to walk away.

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 06:42 PM
You're talking to Don Quixote. Born with chivalrous manners, and sees a damsel in distress where most of us see a belligerent drunken skank.

Anyway, he's offered to knit me a sweater - so I got that going for me.

Is he gonna put a cute little OU schooner on it????

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 06:44 PM
Is he gonna put a cute little OU schooner on it????

I think he's gonna put cute little bunnies on it - says they're his favorite.

cherokeebrewer
8/18/2014, 07:00 PM
The ' Neanderthal' is strong with this thread.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 07:07 PM
The ' Neanderthal' is strong with this thread.

So is the handwringing angst of the beta males.

Must be the weather?

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 07:10 PM
So is the handwringing angst of the beta males.

Must be the weather?

I get tickled at all the Wimmens and Girly men who want to deny that WE are ANIMALS .
Say what ya want you cant change nature.

well I guess some of yall can by giving yer sack to a woman.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 07:13 PM
I hope Mixon does well wherever he ends up. He was all about OU and a hell of a recruiter....really sad for him and if there is a small chance he still stays then I would be very happy.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 07:15 PM
Football Braniacs reporting they have a source close to the situation saying Mixon is NOT planning to transfer.

also

"Also, we are told that Mixon is suspended from all team activities but will have access to the weight room"

This is good news...we will see if he starts classes. If he does then I think that would mean he is planning to stay....California schools start in like a month....we shall see if he's in class tomorrow.

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 07:15 PM

Devonte Fields was freshman of the year in the B12 in 2012, and that didn't mean much.

I know Mayfield preformed well when he played, but there is a reason he wasn't highly recruited (and not recruited at all by OU). I fully expect us to need a back-up at some point, but I'm not convinced Mayfield is automatic.

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 07:16 PM
Football Braniacs reporting they have a source close to the situation saying Mixon is NOT planning to transfer.

I never know what to think of their sources, but I they're right this time.

Sooner91ATL
8/18/2014, 07:22 PM
Devonte Fields was freshman of the year in the B12 in 2012, and that didn't mean much.

I know Mayfield preformed well when he played, but there is a reason he wasn't highly recruited (and not recruited at all by OU). I fully expect us to need a back-up at some point, but I'm not convinced Mayfield is automatic.

Yes it is all speculation - without that the message board wouldn't exist. But Stoops has made several comments about Mayfiield's poise and this is critical for a quarterback. I get the feeling that the coaches feel comfortable putting him in if needed. He did a pretty good job in spring ball. He played in 7 games for t tech last year. It has to count for some confidence in his abilities. Seems much more likely that he could lead us over two untested young guys, if it came to that.

That said we do have a true QB gamer who can come in cold to win games. He will be playing tight end but if needed he could be an option, regardless of the teamspeak we have heard about his position change.

Sooner91ATL
8/18/2014, 07:23 PM
I think he's gonna put cute little bunnies on it - says they're his favorite.

it is always satisfying to have a point proven when the people on the other side resort to name calling since there is no other defense of their position. Thanks guys!

yermom
8/18/2014, 07:25 PM
I never know what to think of their sources, but I they're right this time.

he's a scholarship player, right?

what does he gain by leaving if he'd lose a year anyway? if he's still on the team, and still in classes, i'm not sure what he gets by leaving.

Snrinhouston
8/18/2014, 07:26 PM
I couldn't care less if Mixon does transfer. We won our last NC without a five-star rb recruit, we can win another one without a five-star rb recruit. The remaining backs we have aren't slouches.

Just not sure Mixon is dealing with a full deck. Ok, perhaps his response was reflexive. But what the hell was he or his lawyer thinking having him show up to court in ANYTHING OTHER than a proper suit? Real Smart.

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 07:28 PM
it is always satisfying to have a point proven when the people on the other side resort to name calling since there is no other defense of their position. Thanks guys!

I'd say your logic is flawed a bit there, but if that makes you happy...

But seriously, you PMed me saying would I please call you Don Quixote, and that you'd like to knit me a sweater.

So......is that still gonna happen?

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 07:30 PM
he's a scholarship player, right?

what does he gain by leaving if he'd lose a year anyway? if he's still on the team, and still in classes, i'm not sure what he gets by leaving.

I don't know how it all works, but Mixon hadn't started classes (as of today), so I don't know if he could get a waiver to play elsewhere if he tried.

Then there's the fact that the season is two weeks away, so he's not going anywhere and starting right away.

At this point (as far as his D1 playing career is concerned), he's better off staying. That doesn't mean he couldn't transfer after the season and still have 4 years of eligibility elsewhere though.

ouwasp
8/18/2014, 07:33 PM
This penalty was very un-Stoops. I think it's all Boren. I didn't agree with the idea of a redshirt, but I could see Bob going that way due to political considerations. The over and above nature of the penalty tells me Boren was trying to alleviate criticism he is getting from women's groups, the media howlers, and maybe even homosexual activists.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 07:36 PM
I don't know how it all works, but Mixon hadn't started classes (as of today), so I don't know if he could get a waiver to play elsewhere if he tried.

Then there's the fact that the season is two weeks away, so he's not going anywhere and starting right away.

At this point (as far as his D1 playing career is concerned), he's better off staying. That doesn't mean he couldn't transfer after the season and still have 4 years of eligibility elsewhere though.

wait, will he still have 4 years after this year? so this is kinda like a redshirt anyways....without practicing.

ouwasp
8/18/2014, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Snrinhouston;4788910]I couldn't care less if Mixon does transfer. We won our last NC without a five-star rb recruit, we can win another one without a five-star rb recruit. The remaining backs we have aren't slouches.

Then burning question is WHEN is OU going to win another NC? It's been 15 yrs. And another 15 yrs before that...

Curly Bill
8/18/2014, 07:37 PM
This penalty was very un-Stoops. I think it's all Boren. I didn't agree with the idea of a redshirt, but I could see Bob going that way due to political considerations. The over and above nature of the penalty tells me Boren was trying to alleviate criticism he is getting from women's groups, the media howlers, and maybe even homosexual activists.

I think it's all or mostly Boren, despite that crap about Joe and Bob recommending the punishment, and likely for the reasons you mentioned, and maybe a few more.

Snrinhouston
8/18/2014, 07:45 PM

I really don't think OU had much of a choice, and I think Mixon is lucky he didn't get booted. OU had to consider the worst case scenario, the risk of that worst case scenario, and the damage from a worst case scenario happening.

1. The worst case scenario is that Mixon comes out of the gate strong AND that video goes public.
2. The risk of that video going public (if Mixon plays like a beast) is probably pretty damn good.
3. The ensuing treatment by the national media? Yeah I'd say that would be pretty damaging.

SoonerorLater
8/18/2014, 08:16 PM
Does anybody else find the Mixon suspension head-scratchingly inconsistent? He appears not to have been the one who instigated the assault. Doesn't seem like there was any intent on his part of looking for trouble and now finds himself on trial and booted from the team for responding to an assault to strongly.

On the other hand we go all in on DGB who had three strikes against him. Public opinion be damned. The administration is trying fervently to get an NCAA waiver so DGB can play immediately without regard to past transgressions. No punishment whatsoever.

How is this fair or equitable? If I were Mixon I might ask myself this and after I dust off the track marks of the bus, look for a place that might be more concerned with my on field performance.

birddog
8/18/2014, 08:24 PM
From what I heard today, Stoops is seriously po'd at mixon and the person who had seen the actual video said it looked brutal, much more violent than the Michigan player sucker punching the guy in that video. I said before he'll be redshirted if he wants to stay.

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 08:25 PM
wait, will he still have 4 years after this year? so this is kinda like a redshirt anyways....without practicing.

Yep.

He will not use a year of eligibility this year, as he won't be officially on the team. So, he'll still have 4 years of eligibility available (and a redshirt year, if needed).

8timechamps
8/18/2014, 08:28 PM
I really don't think OU had much of a choice, and I think Mixon is lucky he didn't get booted. OU had to consider the worst case scenario, the risk of that worst case scenario, and the damage from a worst case scenario happening.

1. The worst case scenario is that Mixon comes out of the gate strong AND that video goes public.
2. The risk of that video going public (if Mixon plays like a beast) is probably pretty damn good.
3. The ensuing treatment by the national media? Yeah I'd say that would be pretty damaging.

This was a pro-active punishment. Still, I'm not in agreement, but I think this has everything to do with the eventual release of the video.

I suspect the video is pretty bad, and since most people (outside of Oklahoma) won't take the time to learn about the situation, it'll probably viewed as 'shocking'.

manateepower
8/18/2014, 08:37 PM
Oklahoma looks very bad right now in my opinion. I believe this is a massive overreaction, especially when we are fighting to make eligible a guy who shoved a woman down a flight of stairs.

Certainly not the first in this thread to say this, and no one with any common sense should disagree really.

sendbaht
8/18/2014, 08:44 PM
hope he red shirts or the press jumped to conclusions and he plays most of years games....ok red shirts, workout get bigger and plays for OU 3 full years or 4.:)) hay I can dream

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 08:51 PM
Oklahoma looks very bad right now in my opinion. I believe this is a massive overreaction, especially when we are fighting to make eligible a guy who shoved a woman down a flight of stairs.

Certainly not the first in this thread to say this, and no one with any common sense should disagree really.

There is an important difference in the DGB case; correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the girl in Missouri was injured. That may not change how OU looks, but the DA pretty much stated the injury was the deciding factor to file charges.

And clearly I'm not concerned about my perceived common sense - I post here!

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 08:54 PM
There is an important difference in the DGB case; correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the girl in Missouri was injured. That may not change how OU looks, but the DA pretty much stated the injury was the deciding factor to file charges.

No I think he said If that broad had a been a dude NO charges would have been filed.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2014, 08:56 PM
No I think he said If that broad had a been a dude NO charges would have been filed.

He said both.

EDIT:

Mashburn said Mixon's charge is more about morals, even though Molitor and Mixon assaulted each other.

"This has to do with decency," he said. "In the end, she got hurt real bad as a result of his acts and it was immoral for him to do so."

Snrinhouston
8/18/2014, 09:02 PM
Well, what's done is done.

Hopefully Mixon stays, learns from the incident (hey, many don't…aka Lawrence Phillips), and reaches his potential.

I think Barry Tramel just might be proven wrong. If Mixon stays out of trouble from here on out, this episode may be a very small asterisk that is dismissed as the foolishness and impulsiveness of an 18-year-old.

SoonerMarkVA
8/18/2014, 09:05 PM

No, and that can't be ignored. Further, even if it's commonly believed DGB committed certain acts, he was not charged and, legally, he "did nothing wrong". A lack of injuries would be consistent with that. Mixon has been charged, and the injury is indisputable. Now, he may ultimately be acquitted, but already there is a big difference between DGB and Mixon. They didn't both just "bash women" equally yet be treated differently.

That said, I think the punishment seems too harsh. No matter how many games he was held out of, be it a few or the entire season, he should have stayed with the team, been eligible for practice, etc. Separating him from the team for a year does not fit the circumstances the DA described.

dwarthog
8/18/2014, 09:10 PM

I think you nailed it.

A "chit" was used up with the kid from Missouri. Last thing the team needed was another player who "abuses" girls as well as being a "homophobe". Getting that kind of rep, true or not isn't a good thing. As you said, no doubt every special interest group with an axe to grind was all over the university on this one.

Mixon stepped into it from just about every directions. I'm skeptical he stays.

CK Sooner
8/18/2014, 09:10 PM
at least he can presumably use the weight room if he stays.

Snrinhouston
8/18/2014, 09:11 PM
No, and that can't be ignored. Further, even if it's commonly believed DGB committed certain acts, he was not charged and, legally, he "did nothing wrong". A lack of injuries would be consistent with that. Mixon has been charged, and the injury is indisputable. Now, he may ultimately be acquitted, but already there is a big difference between DGB and Mixon. They didn't both just "bash women" equally yet be treated differently.

That said, I think the punishment seems too harsh. No matter how many games he was held out of, be it a few or the entire season, he should have stayed with the team, been eligible for practice, etc. Separating him from the team for a year does not fit the circumstances the DA described.

Perhaps, but I think 8TIMECHAMPS is right. The harshness is OU protecting itself from the video going public. A right cross, that leaves a co-ed unconscious on the floor "aint gonna play in Peoria", as they say in radio.

And a significant part of the lesson that Mixon hopefully learns is: when you do something REALLY stupid, you may not get perfectly measured justice in return…

King Barry's Back
8/18/2014, 09:41 PM

This is exactly right. We took DGB and fighting to make him eligible (he pushed a girl down some steps -- had she fallen differently that could have been a murder/manslaughter situation), and now our hand is forced in over-reacting to Mixon -- and Mixon is the player I am excited about. Maybe Mixon's case looks bad on video, but we got all good reports on him. We knew DGB was a known criminal risk, and took him anyway. That was the mistake.

manateepower
8/18/2014, 09:47 PM
There is an important difference in the DGB case; correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the girl in Missouri was injured.

Is there any evidence whatsoever that Molitar was injured?

From everything I read about this situation, it just sounded like she made a bunch of **** up, and no one seems to know anything about the extent of her injuries, which apparently is sacrilegous in the state of Oklahoma to Reveal.

Or perhaps something was revealed that I have completely missed?

manateepower
8/18/2014, 09:49 PM
and now our hand is forced in over-reacting to Mixon

If this is indeed the reason, it may be more difficult for me to root for oklahoma, this may be the most poorly handled off the field incident outside of Penn State in my lifetime

olevetonahill
8/18/2014, 09:59 PM
If this is indeed the reason
, it may be more difficult for me to root for oklahoma, this may be the most poorly handled off the field incident outside of Penn State in my lifetime

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0ZUlwqZPf92TeYkZeALTKexsw2Qgbp x8kgVpvHTX3_mqc29YnJw

Snrinhouston
8/18/2014, 10:00 PM
If this is indeed the reason, it may be more difficult for me to root for oklahoma, this may be the most poorly handled off the field incident outside of Penn State in my lifetime

I pretty sure this situation should not be mentioned in the same sentence (let alone paragraph or page) as the Penn State incident. But I'm also pretty sure this is all about the videotape and how it looks….like a PR Nightmare.

Look at it another way. Let's say OU didn't punish Mixon, he starts getting national press for running like Adrian, THEN that tape shows up on TMZ…how does OU look then. Now all of a sudden everyone is blaming Bob, Joe C, and David for not getting out in front of this and minimizing the damage.

manateepower
8/18/2014, 11:07 PM
I pretty sure this situation should not be mentioned in the same sentence (let alone paragraph or page) as the Penn State incident. But I'm also pretty sure this is all about the videotape and how it looks….like a PR Nightmare.

Look at it another way. Let's say OU didn't punish Mixon, he starts getting national press for running like Adrian, THEN that tape shows up on TMZ…how does OU look then. Now all of a sudden everyone is blaming Bob, Joe C, and David for not getting out in front of this and minimizing the damage.

1. Just because I used Penn State in the same sentence, doesn't mean I am comparing the two. I assumed that I didn't have to explain that.

2.If this tape is so apparently terrible, why hasn't anyone outside of a handful of individuals seen it? If the injuries to Molitar were so bad, how come we have absolutely no information on the extent of her injuries?

In 2014, any evidence of incidents like these, especially involving a high profile athlete on a major college program, especially when it's caught on video, would have probably shown up somewhere, no one can keep something like that under wraps for what is going on almost a month now.

I am open to changing my opinion once I see any evidence, but the fact that absolutely NOTHING on this case outside of shaky heresay has come to light, I am unconvinced that this is nothing more than a sensationalist crusade by some overly ambitious media types looking to get attention.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/19/2014, 02:05 AM
This penalty was very un-Stoops. I think it's all Boren. I didn't agree with the idea of a redshirt, but I could see Bob going that way due to political considerations. The over and above nature of the penalty tells me Boren was trying to alleviate criticism he is getting from women's groups, the media howlers, and maybe even homosexual activists.Sadly, I suspect that is very possible. We may never know if Stoops agreed, really, with the announced punishment.

8/19/2014, 02:15 AM
Is there any evidence whatsoever that Molitar was injured?

From everything I read about this situation, it just sounded like she made a bunch of **** up, and no one seems to know anything about the extent of her injuries, which apparently is sacrilegous in the state of Oklahoma to Reveal.

Or perhaps something was revealed that I have completely missed?I have never seen that answered, either.

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2014, 02:27 AM
Sadly, I suspect that is very possible. We may never know if Stoops agreed, really, with the announced punishment.

And Stoops is a professional, so we'll never know. And that lets all the conspiracy theory people have unlimited fun making up stuff!

cherokeebrewer
8/19/2014, 07:35 AM
I've read the comments about self defense and the comments from 'The skank deserved it' crowd. The video must be very damning for the punishment to be this severe. I hope Joe sticks it out, becomes a better person and learns the hard lesson this tragic event has had on his young life...

But no, OU didn't let Joe Mixon down...Joe Mixom let OU down.

Sooner in Tampa
8/19/2014, 07:37 AM
I've read the comments about self defense and the comments from 'The skank deserved it' crowd. The video must be very damning for the punishment to be this severe. I hope Joe sticks it out, becomes a better person and learns the hard lesson this tragic event has had on his young life...

But no, OU didn't let Joe Mixon down...Joe Mixom let OU down.

Sorry bro...I think they let each other down

badger
8/19/2014, 08:15 AM
Match the action with consequence!

Actions:
- Accused of assaulting a woman and multiple drug charges; charges either reduced or dropped
- Accused of sexually assaulting a woman; no charges filed
- Accused of assaulting a woman after being assaulted; charges reduced

Consequences:
- OU petitions NCAA for immediate eligibility with no suspension
- OU petitions courts to be allowed to suspend player for one-year
- OU suspends player for one year after charges filed

:(

achiro
8/19/2014, 08:27 AM

If he really said that, I would think the defense has a pretty strong start. The law doesn't differentiate and neither should the DA.

achiro
8/19/2014, 08:28 AM

One allegedly bashed a woman he knew, the other defended himself against a woman he didn't know. I know which one I think is ok and which one isn't.

Soonerwake
8/19/2014, 08:36 AM
What if Mixon does know the girl and was drinking that night? What if he was being mouthy too and followed her? Would that change anyone's mind about this situation?

I think we are all getting wound up about a situation that we know very little about.

rock on sooner
8/19/2014, 08:51 AM
Over on Youtube, there is a clip of the DA describing what happened. He
said the woman slapped Joe first and that Joe responded by hitting her...
all preceded by slurs from the woman, she put her hands on his chest and
pushed then he got up in her grill, she slapped and he hit...IMO, if Joe was
a cop he'd be charged with excessive force, but, apparently, she started it
and he finished it. Hmmmm....

SoonerorLater
8/19/2014, 09:04 AM
What if Mixon does know the girl and was drinking that night? What if he was being mouthy too and followed her? Would that change anyone's mind about this situation?

I think we are all getting wound up about a situation that we know very little about.

Honestly it would matter very little to me. IMO it's all about who initiated the first physical contact. After that point it's gloves off for an immediate and definitive response. IMO a reasonable response is to use adequate force to ensure there is not another battery. I would tend to very lenient in my interpretation of a reasonable response.

KantoSooner
8/19/2014, 09:08 AM
At this stage, what's done is done. I hope the punishment was communicated to Mixon and family beforehand and that they're on board. I hope he stays. I hope his legal team bargains him out of anything. I hope Drugbitch McDrunkypants is never heard from again by anyone other than Texas Department of Human Services. I hope Mixon handles this the right way: basically keeps his mouth shut, buckles down and takes the best form of revenge, by becoming a huge success.

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2014, 09:21 AM
At this stage, what's done is done. I hope the punishment was communicated to Mixon and family beforehand and that they're on board. I hope he stays. I hope his legal team bargains him out of anything. I hope Drugbitch McDrunkypants is never heard from again by anyone other than Texas Department of Human Services. I hope Mixon handles this the right way: basically keeps his mouth shut, buckles down and takes the best form of revenge, by becoming a huge success.

Amen to all that. I'm sure Mixon and family have been involved all along and the reveal yesterday was not news to them. I don't know if he'll stay, but he has had some time to mull things over and hasn't bolted out of impulse.

SoonerorLater
8/19/2014, 09:43 AM
I find myself hoping Mixon heads off to a place that wouldn't sacrifice him at the hand of the University President's political calculations. Make no mistake, this has Boren's fingerprints all over it despite his claiming to just be accepting BS's and JC's "recommendation". Save for Boren's ambition, Mixon could be on the field helping the OU football team.

And if that isn't enough the University (Boren) is trying to boot Frank Shannon also. Why? Does this guy not want to win football games? I'm pretty sure there is nothing in Title IX that compels them to appeal this to the State Supreme Court.

KantoSooner
8/19/2014, 09:50 AM
Do I think the admin (including Bob and Joe) overreacted? Yes, I do. But 'Boren's ambition'? Ambition for what? He's held all the political offices he ever wanted. Seriously. He had a moment when he was 'the guy' and was being touted for the White House...and he walked away. He's old now. Too old to go after that. And he had a shot to go for the governorship....and didn't. I don't think he has anything else left on his bucket list other than remaining President of OU.
There's a lot going on in the way of sex/gender relations scandals right now in higher education. Including at most of if not all the 'Ivies'. At most, Boren is going over the top to show that OU can be more PC than they are.

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2014, 10:04 AM
As I've stated, I don't think Mixon was an innocent bystander, but I also thought to punishment was too severe. Mixon was 1 day into being a legal adult and had not lived with OU football expectations. Had it been a player that had been with the team for a season, I would have done the same thing. I might have completely booted an upper classman. I'm not sure why everyone feels compelled to attribute this to Boren. Maybe it's because they don't want to believe Stoops initiate this. It doesn't really matter - the powers that be have spoken.

cherokeebrewer
8/19/2014, 10:08 AM
I find myself hoping Mixon heads off to a place that wouldn't sacrifice him at the hand of the University President's political calculations. Make no mistake, this has Boren's fingerprints all over it despite his claiming to just be accepting BS's and JC's "recommendation". Save for Boren's ambition, Mixon could be on the field helping the OU football team.

And if that isn't enough the University (Boren) is trying to boot Frank Shannon also. Why? Does this guy not want to win football games? I'm pretty sure there is nothing in Title IX that compels them to appeal this to the State Supreme Court.

This doesn't even make sense. David Boren has been a US Senator and a longtime President of the University of Oklahoma. At his age, what further possible ambitions could he have at this point in his life? Furthermore, his job is to do what's best for the University, not just the football team. Of course he wants OU to win football games, but with integrity. He, Joe C. and Coach Stoops have seen the video and it will be released to the public at some point. I have to believe it's very damning for the punishment to be this severe...

SoonerorLater
8/19/2014, 10:14 AM
But 'Boren's ambition'? Ambition for what? He's held all the political offices he ever wanted. Seriously. He had a moment when he was 'the guy' and was being touted for the White House

If so why would he want to take the job as president of OU? I would say chiefly because of ego. Ambition isn't like a light switch you just turn on and off. I think Boren at this point is about creating a legacy and as in his political career he will walk over whoever need be to achieve his own ends. To him it's all about prestige and manufacturing an aura that let's him hit the academic wine and cheese circuit. He just enjoys rubbing elbows with the "academic elites". In his circles guys like Mixon's football aspirations count for little.

Pride1Mom
8/19/2014, 10:21 AM
I have a feeling that the history of Mixon may not be known to the public because MAYBE there have been previous activities when he was a minor that have not been exposed. This is just supposition on my part, I DO NOT KNOW anything, but sometimes another look is made and a "wait and see" attitude on how Mixon will adjust being away from California, how he handles his classes, etc. OJ Simpson was a member of a street gang before going to college, and he fooled a lot of people for a long time, but a thug is a thug. Let's hope that Mixon understands he DOES have a second chance to become a part of a great tradition. OU does give players second chances, Ryan Broyles, Dusty, etc. the list goes on.....

badger
8/19/2014, 10:23 AM
David Boren has been very much pro-football during his tenure. He understands its importance to student recruiting, booster fundraising and bringing alumni closer to their alma mater.

At the same time, David Boren has also been very gung ho about raising OU's academic profile and that has meant the days of cheap higher ed are gone... but the same could be said everywhere.

I do not think the two Boren ambitions -- best athletics and best academics -- are at conflict here. It has been stated (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou/football/ou-suspends-joe-mixon-for-the-entire-season/article_f704de8f-2b50-5587-a88c-ff31a8ee6c03.html) that both Joe C and Bob Stoops recommended a one-year Mixon suspension.

The statement indicated that Castiglione and Stoops recommended to OU president David Boren that Mixon, a five-star freshman charged with a misdemeanor act of gross injury stemming from a July 25 incident at a Norman restaurant, be suspended from all team activities during the season, and have his name removed from the Sooners’ roster.

It might be PR, but when you think about it, who is the most important figure at OU? It's Stoops. Boren and Joe C aren't going to do something to tick him off, including laying Mixon suspension blame on Stoops even partially if he didn't want it to happen.

SoonerorLater
8/19/2014, 10:30 AM
This doesn't even make sense. David Boren has been a US Senator and a longtime President of the University of Oklahoma. At his age, what further possible ambitions could he have at this point in his life? Furthermore, his job is to do what's best for the University, not just the football team. Of course he wants OU to win football games, but with integrity. He, Joe C. and Coach Stoops have seen the video and it will be released to the public at some point. I have to believe it's very damning for the punishment to be this severe...

Of course it makes sense he's a political animal. Ambition doesn't just evaporate. There is zero that compels Boren to issue any punishment in Mixon's case. It is a legal matter plain and simple. There is nothing that has happened that would prevent Mixon from performing in the classroom or on the football field other than the administration itself. This didn't even happen on campus or have anything to do with a school sponsored event. Why does the administration feel the need to "punish" Mixon? The school isn't Mixon's parents, they aren't his drill instructor and they aren't the judge in his case. Just butt out of his personal life.

olevetonahill
8/19/2014, 10:32 AM
Sorry he was booted for the year, But in the Grand scheme of things It aint gonna make much difference, we gonna win or lose with out him this year.
One more worthless Saturday.

SoonerMarkVA
8/19/2014, 10:39 AM
David Boren has been very much pro-football during his tenure. He understands its importance to student recruiting, booster fundraising and bringing alumni closer to their alma mater.

At the same time, David Boren has also been very gung ho about raising OU's academic profile and that has meant the days of cheap higher ed are gone... but the same could be said everywhere.

I do not think the two Boren ambitions -- best athletics and best academics -- are at conflict here. It has been stated (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou/football/ou-suspends-joe-mixon-for-the-entire-season/article_f704de8f-2b50-5587-a88c-ff31a8ee6c03.html) that both Joe C and Bob Stoops recommended a one-year Mixon suspension.

It might be PR, but when you think about it, who is the most important figure at OU? It's Stoops. Boren and Joe C aren't going to do something to tick him off, including laying Mixon suspension blame on Stoops even partially if he didn't want it to happen.

Fully agree. Also, it makes Stoops look like a toady if you do assume Boren pushed this and then publicly hung the decision on Stoops' neck.

This whole "Boren is the boogeyman" is a bunch of paranoid conspiracy crap. From all statements and appearances from all 3 gentlemen, there is wide-ranging agreement and mutual respect between Boren, JC, and Stoops. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised, regarding Shannon, if the entire thing is being played out as orchestrated by all 3 gentlemen according to plan. I would be stunned if it truly is Stoops and Boren going head-to-head over the issue ongoing.

manateepower
8/19/2014, 10:43 AM
I have a feeling that the history of Mixon may not be known to the public because MAYBE there have been previous activities when he was a minor that have not been exposed. This is just supposition on my part, I DO NOT KNOW anything.

Terrific.

Sooner in Tampa
8/19/2014, 10:51 AM
I have a feeling that the history of Mixon may not be known to the public because MAYBE there have been previous activities when he was a minor that have not been exposed. This is just supposition on my part, I DO NOT KNOW anything, but sometimes another look is made and a "wait and see" attitude on how Mixon will adjust being away from California, how he handles his classes, etc. OJ Simpson was a member of a street gang before going to college, and he fooled a lot of people for a long time, but a thug is a thug. Let's hope that Mixon understands he DOES have a second chance to become a part of a great tradition. OU does give players second chances, Ryan Broyles, Dusty, etc. the list goes on.....

WOW...just WOW

EatLeadCommie
8/19/2014, 10:56 AM
Over on Youtube, there is a clip of the DA describing what happened. He
said the woman slapped Joe first and that Joe responded by hitting her...
all preceded by slurs from the woman, she put her hands on his chest and
pushed then he got up in her grill, she slapped and he hit...IMO, if Joe was
a cop he'd be charged with excessive force, but, apparently, she started it
and he finished it. Hmmmm....

LOL. No, not at all. If you lay your hands on a cop, you are begging for a beatdown and will get one...or worse.

manateepower
8/19/2014, 11:01 AM

I actually stopped reading at where I bolded in my reply because you qualified yourself as someone who has no idea what they are talking about, and therefore there was no reason to continue reading.

Then I looked at the rest what you said, and it some of the most uniformed, bigoted, and racist things I have ever seen posted on the internet. You call Mixon a Thug and compare him to OJ Simpson, without any evidence to support your claim. All this sounds like to me is "He's Black and from California, he must be a thug!"

I do not care how much heat this post gets. You should be ashamed of yourself.

SoonerorLater
8/19/2014, 11:03 AM

I have a feeling you might be a troll. This is just supposition on my part, I DO NOT KNOW for sure but sometimes if we take a "wait and see" by reading your posts on the board we can see how well you adjust. There have been trolls on here before that have fooled people for a long time but a troll is a troll. Let's hope you understand you have a second chance and you become part of a great tradition on the SoonerFans Board.

KantoSooner
8/19/2014, 11:04 AM
If so why would he want to take the job as president of OU? I would say chiefly because of ego. Ambition isn't like a light switch you just turn on and off. I think Boren at this point is about creating a legacy and as in his political career he will walk over whoever need be to achieve his own ends. To him it's all about prestige and manufacturing an aura that let's him hit the academic wine and cheese circuit. He just enjoys rubbing elbows with the "academic elites". In his circles guys like Mixon's football aspirations count for little.
We're basically in agreement. OU is where Boren ends his days. He doesn't have further ambition.

cherokeebrewer
8/19/2014, 11:09 AM
Of course it makes sense he's a political animal. Ambition doesn't just evaporate. There is zero that compels Boren to issue any punishment in Mixon's case. It is a legal matter plain and simple. There is nothing that has happened that would prevent Mixon from performing in the classroom or on the football field other than the administration itself. This didn't even happen on campus or have anything to do with a school sponsored event. Why does the administration feel the need to "punish" Mixon? The school isn't Mixon's parents, they aren't his drill instructor and they aren't the judge in his case. Just butt out of his personal life.

Once again, you're not making any sense. The student athletes have an obligation to the University and the football program to conduct themselves in a way not detrimental to those. When they don't, the University/football program has every right to butt into their personal lives, school sponsored or not...

manateepower
8/19/2014, 11:21 AM
Once again, you're not making any sense. The student athletes have an obligation to the University and the football program to conduct themselves in a way not detrimental to those. When they don't, the University/football program has every right to butt into their personal lives, school sponsored or not...

The problem with this is that there is no clear cut definition of what constitutes "detrimental conduct to others". I certainly do not like for anyone in any authority to have this kind of power, over vague terms.

Let's say your son went to OU. One day, during the first semester, some idiot gets in his face for no reason and starts teasing him. Your son snaps, and punches him in the chest. Not the best reaction, but sometimes people get angry and make rash decisions. Contrary to what some people on this forum say, we can't all be Jesus.

Now let's say the President decided to expel your son with no refund. You are obviously upset and feel that this is injust. Now I come along and say. The students have an obligation to the University and the football program to conduct themselves in a way not detrimental to those. When they don't, the University has every right to butt into their personal lives, school sponsored or not."

Do you realize how nonsensical, abusive, absurdly authoritian that kind of thinking is?

cherokeebrewer
8/19/2014, 11:37 AM
The problem with this is that there is no clear cut definition of what constitutes "detrimental conduct to others". I certainly do not like for anyone in any authority to have this kind of power, over vague terms.

Let's say your son went to OU. One day, during the first semester, some idiot gets in his face for no reason and starts teasing him. Your son snaps, and punches him in the chest. Not the best reaction, but sometimes people get angry and make rash decisions. Contrary to what some people on this forum say, we can't all be Jesus.

Now let's say the President decided to expel your son with no refund. You are obviously upset and feel that this is injust. Now I come along and say. The students have an obligation to the University and the football program to conduct themselves in a way not detrimental to those. When they don't, the University has every right to butt into their personal lives, school sponsored or not."

Do you realize how nonsensical, abusive, absurdly authoritian that kind of thinking is?

My Son went to OU on a presidential scholastic scholarship and graduated with honors.

KantoSooner
8/19/2014, 11:38 AM
To be fair, Universities used to actually have the legal status under the concept of In Loco Parentis (excuse my inability to spell latin, English is hard enough). They acted, in short, as parents to their students and enjoyed many of the same powers. That's gone, thankfully; but the pendulum swung way over the other way during the late '70's and '80's. Now the universities are trying to strike a balance. The special status of athletes makes it a bit more complicated.
I think OU went too far, but I do understand that they were in a hard place.

It is what it is, Mixon needs to take steps to protect himself from future efforts the 'Ho might make after his (putative) money. And then he needs to get real serious about being the best student/athlete he can be. That might be at OU (I hope) or it might be somewhere else. I just hope he thinks it through clearly and gets on with executing on his plan.

SoonerorLater
8/19/2014, 11:41 AM

You are incorrect. I re-read what I wrote and I can say with absolute certainty it makes sense. You might not agree with my line of thinking but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. What tangible specifics can you supply that show Joe Mixon damaged the school or football team in any way? Boren may not like hearing about this in the press but that is a far cry from causing harm to the school or team. I would go so far as to say Boren's actions have a much greater chance of harming the football program by throwing a guy under the bus who hasn't even been convicted of a crime (or specified team rules as far as we know.

It's not a matter of rights. In this country we have rights to do all sorts of things but that doesn't mean it's something you necessarily want to do. If the Administration would have just been hands off, this whole thing would have had a short shelf life as the media moves on to the next shiny object and we have another 5 star recruit on the football field. If we expect to keep stocking the shelves with NC Trophies we need every big play guy we can get out there on the field. Trust me the SEC will do what it takes to keep putting winning teams on the field so unless players are in violations of rules that will directly impact the team (NCAA Violations) then they need to be out there on the field.

manateepower
8/19/2014, 11:50 AM
My Son went to OU on a presidential scholastic scholarship and graduated with honors.

You completely missed the point of my post.

I didn't know, nor cared what your son actually did. It is called an illustration to demonstrate what I am trying to argue.

Pride1Mom
8/19/2014, 11:51 AM
I actually stopped reading at where I bolded in my reply because you qualified yourself as someone who has no idea what they are talking about, and therefore there was no reason to continue reading.

Then I looked at the rest what you said, and it some of the most uniformed, bigoted, and racist things I have ever seen posted on the internet. You call Mixon a Thug and compare him to OJ Simpson, without any evidence to support your claim. All this sounds like to me is "He's Black and from California, he must be a thug!"

I do not care how much heat this post gets. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Now YOU are REALLY stretching it. Nothing was said about race, etc., but YOU may be bigoted. What I mean was NO ONE KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS, and this continued argument is a waste of time! There was NO comparison, just a statement on misconceptions. I trust Boren has his reasons w not know. It is not politics, he has already done that......

TheHumanAlphabet
8/19/2014, 11:54 AM

Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.

cherokeebrewer
8/19/2014, 11:54 AM
You completely missed the point of my post.

I didn't know, nor cared what your son did. It is called an illustration to demonstrate what I am trying to argue.

I didn't miss your point. I dismissed it...

badger
8/19/2014, 12:21 PM
Anyone that thinks Boren isn't a football fan needs to remember how berserk he went after the Oregon game (http://www.katu.com/news/local/3945576.html). Does a university president typically refer to the result of a football game as "an
outrageous injustice" and then call that phrase "an understatement?"

I mean, we were all upset, but wow. This was almost on the level of calling a "snow day" after 63-14 in 2000 (http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jan/02/sports/sp-7397). Hey students! No school Monday because we won a football game! Um, what???

Boren has also gone to bat for the team when the entire 2005 season wins were vacated due to Bomar/Quinn. The wins were reinstated.

Cliff's Notes version: Boren is a football fan.

8/19/2014, 01:25 PM
...I would go so far as to say Boren's actions have a much greater chance of harming the football program by throwing a guy under the bus who hasn't even been convicted of a crime (or specified team rules as far as we know.

It's not a matter of rights. In this country we have rights to do all sorts of things but that doesn't mean it's something you necessarily want to do. If the Administration would have just been hands off, this whole thing would have had a short shelf life as the media moves on to the next shiny object and we have another 5 star recruit on the football field. If we expect to keep stocking the shelves with NC Trophies we need every big play guy we can get out there on the field. Trust me the SEC will do what it takes to keep putting winning teams on the field so unless players are in violations of rules that will directly impact the team (NCAA Violations) then they need to be out there on the field.Well said. Mixon's penalty was excessive.

However, regardless of whatever punishment he received, the Media will once again go into mouth-frothing mode when the video is made public.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/19/2014, 01:35 PM
Anyone that thinks Boren isn't a football fan needs to remember how berserk he went after the Oregon game (http://www.katu.com/news/local/3945576.html). Does a university president typically refer to the result of a football game as "an
outrageous injustice" and then call that phrase "an understatement?"

I mean, we were all upset, but wow. This was almost on the level of calling a "snow day" after 63-14 in 2000 (http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jan/02/sports/sp-7397). Hey students! No school Monday because we won a football game! Um, what???

Boren has also gone to bat for the team when the entire 2005 season wins were vacated due to Bomar/Quinn. The wins were reinstated.

Cliff's Notes version: Boren is a football fan.

When I was a UG at OU, we always got the Monday off after a victory over saxet

badger
8/19/2014, 02:47 PM

You graduated in 2000 didn't you :P

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/19/2014, 03:37 PM

When I was UG at OU, we never beat saxet

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2014, 03:43 PM
When I was UG at OU, we never beat saxet

When I was a UG at OU, I always got Monday off to recover from all the partying. Not sure if classes were happening though.

SoonerMarkVA
8/19/2014, 03:46 PM
When I was a UG at OU, I always got Monday off to recover from all the partying. Not sure if classes were happening though.

When I was an UG at OU, I didn't know they had class on Mondays.

manateepower
8/19/2014, 04:19 PM
I didn't miss your point. I dismissed it...

lol.

King Barry's Back
8/19/2014, 05:21 PM
2.If this tape is so apparently terrible, why hasn't anyone outside of a handful of individuals seen it? If the injuries to Molitar were so bad, how come we have absolutely no information on the extent of her injuries?

Regarding the tape, initially I was in your corner, I thought the tape would largely exonerate Mixon. Now, I'm worried the DA, et al, is trying to keep the tape covered up because he's worried about the damage it would do to Mixon's reputation/career. Regarding details on her injuries -- yes, I'd like to know a little more about that. As far as I can tell, all we are going on is what she claims. Gotta hope the PD/DA have more than that, but based on my experiences with Norman Police back in the day -- I don't have much faith in that.

King Barry's Back
8/19/2014, 05:31 PM
David Boren , Joe C. and Coach Stoops have seen the video and it will be released to the public at some point. I have to believe it's very damning for the punishment to be this severe...

Do we know that for a fact? And if so, exactly what entitles the university president, athletic director and football coach to see it? This is being strictly withheld from the general public, but of course can be viewed by appropriate people involved in investigating or prosecuting the alleged incident, or defending the accused. What do these guys from OU have to do with it?

Think if it was an ordinary student. What if it had been me? Honestly, if Norman PD had run me in during my undergrad days, I wouldn't have been very happy if the OU president had been allowed to see the evidence. And Joe C and Bob?

King Barry's Back
8/19/2014, 05:39 PM

Badj, David Boren has been strongly pro-OU football his whole life. When he was in the Senate, and the Sooners usually only played on radio, he would make a long-distance call to Oklahoma to listen to the radio broadcasts of the games.

Regarding the question of did Bob really approve of the punishment? This is a big enough deal that all three men could easily have agreed that to maintain the public integrity of the whole process and the university, the decision had to appear to be unanimous. I can easily envision Bob fighting like a dog for a lesser punishment, but once the decision came down, agreeing publicly to back it.

Did this happen? I have no idea, but it's definitely possible.

Since71ASooner4Life
8/19/2014, 06:59 PM
I've got one for all the conspiracy theorists .... start by asking ourselves, if we had to choose between one or the other, who would we bet was going to play a more integral role in OU willing the National championship this year - Mixon or DGB ? I think an overwhelming majority would agree that having DGB was far more critical.

Now we don't know that having DGB will in fact be an option, but let's assume our belief is reasonably strong that we will. So we've got a guy who is a potential superstar this year, and we want to be damn sure he's there all year long. But this is a guy who likes skating on thin ice, unless he's been scared enough that he's going to stay far away from the thin ice.

We have to punish Mixon - no way around that. There are varying degrees we can choose from, but in the end, his role this year is going to be reduced. Even if he gets a minimal punishment like a 4 game suspension, there's only so much productivity we could hope to get from him in the remaining games considering the late start. Putting aside the fact that a harsh punishment might mean he leaves entirely, in the end the severity of punishment doesn't make a huge difference to OU's NC chances this year. And some might think that a harsh punishment does him more good in the long run wherever he ends up or stays. (I'm in the camp of those who believe his actions were excessive, and I believe Stoops and all do too)

So maybe the harsh punishment this 5-star gets is thought to be beneficial in that it serves as a final reminder toward keeping the other 5-star who is thought to be a real difference maker this year away from the thin ice.

BoulderSooner79
8/19/2014, 07:07 PM
So maybe the harsh punishment this 5-star gets is thought to be beneficial in that it serves as a final reminder toward keeping the other 5-star who is thought to be a real difference maker this year away from the thin ice.

I like the silver lining sentiment, but I think that's a stretch. From all accounts, DGB is very focused on the NFL and can't have any more incentive to stay inline than that. He's spending his 3rd year out of HS with a very good coaching staff that will help his draft status regardless of the waiver. I hope the team gets his services in return. But I think he is one of the least affected players by the Mixon decision - he has no real college alternatives at this point.

EatLeadCommie
8/19/2014, 07:52 PM
The witness reports should be in the public domain by now. Is the Norman PD not sophisticated enough to post those online?

cherokeebrewer
8/20/2014, 08:41 AM
I wonder how come Joe didn't just stiff arm her and do that Heisman pose. A video of that would go viral...in a good way

yermom
8/20/2014, 09:20 AM
Regarding the tape, initially I was in your corner, I thought the tape would largely exonerate Mixon. Now, I'm worried the DA, et al, is trying to keep the tape covered up because he's worried about the damage it would do to Mixon's reputation/career. Regarding details on her injuries -- yes, I'd like to know a little more about that. As far as I can tell, all we are going on is what she claims. Gotta hope the PD/DA have more than that, but based on my experiences with Norman Police back in the day -- I don't have much faith in that.

why would you think that without seeing it?

Molitor is a student at OU, right? who is going to release her medical records? the school? the police? unless presents them, or they go to trial, it seems they would have to be leaked.

the fact is that if i was on the news for punching a co-ed at 2:30 in the morning on Campus Corner, i'd probably be fired from my job the next day. he's still in school. he's still probably pretty lucky here, and being coddled somewhat for being a 5-Star recruit on scholarship

SoonerMarkVA
8/20/2014, 09:35 AM
I wonder how come Joe didn't just stiff arm her and do that Heisman pose. A video of that would go viral...in a good way

No ... in a great way.

dwarthog
8/20/2014, 09:38 AM
why would you think that without seeing it?

Molitor is a student at OU, right? who is going to release her medical records? the school? the police? unless presents them, or they go to trial, it seems they would have to be leaked.

the fact is that if i was on the news for punching a co-ed at 2:30 in the morning on Campus Corner, i'd probably be fired from my job the next day. he's still in school. he's still probably pretty lucky here, and being coddled somewhat for being a 5-Star recruit on scholarship

So just out of the blue he punched her?

Gotta love the consolidation taking place in this story where this seems to be the only pertinent fact now.

KantoSooner
8/20/2014, 10:05 AM
It's the 'memory hole'.

BoulderSooner79
8/20/2014, 10:14 AM
It's the 'memory hole'.

Brilliant! Let's go re-write Joe to be a 3 star and we can shorten this thread to FAQ #14

"We'll win with him or without him"

KantoSooner
8/20/2014, 10:48 AM
yep, now it's time to reinvent the facts so that they fit the conclusions drawn.

SoonerorLater
8/20/2014, 10:53 AM
:numbness:
So just out of the blue he punched her?

Gotta love the consolidation taking place in this story where this seems to be the only pertinent fact now.

Don't you get it? Hitting a woman is wrong! Always, always,always. Any other details are simply irrelevant. Ma Barker or Mother Theresa it's all the same. I like you was at first skeptical when I read all of the posts from the "Never, ever hit a woman" crowd but I am slowing converting. Now if a woman were to punch my lights out at some eatery, it will just be "thank you sir (ma'am) may I have another" or in lieu of that I will attempt to summon a manager.

olevetonahill
8/20/2014, 10:59 AM

Don't you get it? Hitting a woman is wrong! Always, always,always. Any other details are simply irrelevant. Ma Barker or Mother Theresa it's all the same. I like you was at first skeptical when I read all of the posts from the "Never, ever hit a woman" crowd but I am slowing converting. Now if a woman were to punch my lights out at some eatery, it will just be "thank you sir (ma'am) may I have another" or in lieu of that I will attempt to summon a manager.

Ima Knock her ****in head off. I will try to avoid a situation like that but some broad get all up in my face screamin and Hittin Ima clean her ****in clock. Plus any Nancy boy that thinks he wants to defend her Honor.

BoulderSooner79
8/20/2014, 11:05 AM
I think we hit the "long tail" on the curve.

dwarthog
8/20/2014, 11:16 AM

Sorry, I was all delusional about a perceived right to defend ones self from physical harm.

Got my mind right here boss....

BoulderSooner79
8/20/2014, 11:32 AM
My father is one of those folks that believes you never hit a woman. Sure, he understands there are extreme case exceptions, but this one doesn't qualify for him. As a child, he witnessed an alcoholic uncle wail on his aunt so that set his world view forever. Now what if Bob Stoops is also one of those folks - did anyone consider that? If so, keeping a player on his team w/o punishment just wouldn't work for him. Not saying that's the case, but the number of people that feel that way is not a tiny percentage. Assuming this is all based on some PC pressure is pure speculation.

CK Sooner
8/20/2014, 01:51 PM
here ya go....

http://i.imgur.com/wjM0YP8.jpg

BoulderSooner79
8/20/2014, 01:55 PM
$274 ?!!!

here ya go....

yermom
8/20/2014, 01:55 PM
http://www.oudaily.com/sports/mixon-attends-arraignment-is-not-a-flight-risk/article_c0be49e0-2730-11e4-a8cc-001a4bcf6878.html

BoulderSooner79
8/20/2014, 02:12 PM
http://www.oudaily.com/sports/mixon-attends-arraignment-is-not-a-flight-risk/article_c0be49e0-2730-11e4-a8cc-001a4bcf6878.html

There is an interesting line in that article I hadn't considered:

"He is to have no contact with Molitor or the state’s witnesses."

Could any OU players be state's witnesses? Tapper was rumored to be on the scene. Maybe this has something to do with the suspension vs. redshirt.

CK Sooner
8/20/2014, 02:47 PM
There is an interesting line in that article I hadn't considered:

"He is to have no contact with Molitor or the state’s witnesses."

Could any OU players be state's witnesses? Tapper was rumored to be on the scene. Maybe this has something to do with the suspension vs. redshirt.

I'd say it's possible...maybe.

That means when the case is done he could be reinstated with a redshirt.

flysooner9
8/23/2014, 02:06 AM
Guess some people don't learn their lessons. Saw Joe Mixon tonight on campus corner at 2AM. You'd think he would try to avoid a similar situation. At least for a while.

olevetonahill
8/23/2014, 06:57 AM
Guess some people don't learn their lessons. Saw Joe Mixon tonight on campus corner at 2AM. You'd think he would try to avoid a similar situation. At least for a while.

So tell us what YOU were doing out on Campus Corner at 2AM?

SoonerorLater
8/23/2014, 09:20 AM

As it turns out the administration has made sure Joe has plenty of extra time on his hands.

olevetonahill
8/23/2014, 11:08 AM
As it turns out the administration has made sure Joe has plenty of extra time on his hands.

Im just wonderin if Young fly got into any trouble, after all HE was out on CC at 2 am .

SoonerorLater
8/23/2014, 11:35 AM
Im just wonderin if Young fly got into any trouble, after all HE was out on CC at 2 am .

I hope not. He has sort of been left to find his own way. I'm sure if President Boren thinks it best to handle it this way then then it's all going work out fine. Perhaps he was just getting up early to run his paper route.

olevetonahill
8/23/2014, 11:45 AM
I hope not. He has sort of been left to find his own way. I'm sure if President Boren thinks it best to handle it this way then then it's all going work out fine. Perhaps he was just getting up early to run his paper route.

I were talking about Flysooner the Poster , WTF was HE doing out at CC at 2 am?

BoulderSooner79
8/23/2014, 11:52 AM
I were talking about Flysooner the Poster , WTF was HE doing out at CC at 2 am?

He was hoping to run into a drunk chick and handle the situation in the more traditional manner.

birddog
8/23/2014, 12:11 PM
Don't they unleash the ugly lights at 2 am? Is it 230 now?

SoonerMarkVA
8/23/2014, 12:15 PM
He was hoping to run into a drunk chick and handle the situation in the more traditional manner.

Take her home and regret it in the morning?

BoulderSooner79
8/23/2014, 12:27 PM
Take her home and regret it in the morning?

Or a walk of shame for her, if he's lucky.

manateepower
8/23/2014, 12:28 PM
here ya go....

I want to **** both of those chicks right in the mouth

soonergirlNeugene
9/3/2014, 05:12 PM
WtF? This case just keeps getting stranger and stranger. http://newsok.com/joe-mixon-surveillance-video-to-be-shown-to-media-members/article/5338036

yermom
9/3/2014, 05:55 PM
so the FOIA only applies to the media now?

cvsooner
9/3/2014, 06:15 PM
No, the FOIA doesn't apply only to the media. But the Norman PD is operating under a legal thought that since it's still evidentiary, they will permit it to be shown to certain media members who filed a FOIA claim; the general public hasn't filed one. If you want to file one with Norman PD, go ahead. But the actual video will not be released to the public at large and media are free to describe it (which baffles me), but cannot record it in any way. I suppose it's akin to witnessing an execution; only certain media members allowed, along with specific onlookers with specific reasons to be there.

King Barry's Back
9/3/2014, 06:43 PM
No, the FOIA doesn't apply only to the media. But the Norman PD is operating under a legal thought that since it's still evidentiary, they will permit it to be shown to certain media members who filed a FOIA claim; the general public hasn't filed one. If you want to file one with Norman PD, go ahead. But the actual video will not be released to the public at large and media are free to describe it (which baffles me), but cannot record it in any way. I suppose it's akin to witnessing an execution; only certain media members allowed, along with specific onlookers with specific reasons to be there.

This is strange to me. FOIA requests are supposed to be made so that the public can uncover government action, right? I mean having a FOIA system doesn't really make sense if it is just for individuals to satisfy their own curiosity.

And your analogy to an execution doesn't hold up in this case. In an execution chamber, there is limited space. And given the nature of an execution -- a person is about to be killed and therefore may behave unpredictably and dangerously, and the presence of a large group of people could be antagonizing -- observers need to be kept to a minimum. Those facts don't apply at all to a video.

I guess the real legal question I have is "Does Norman PD have the power to suppress all 'evidentiary' material, all the time?" And if so, why? That doesn't make any sense to me.

manateepower
9/3/2014, 07:52 PM
The Norman PD is looking pretty silly right now. Now that PD's are known for being too bright to begin with.

"Instead of just letting everyone see it and draw their own conclusions from it, we'll have just media members see it, in which they will use their own opinions to dictate the narrative and manipulate feelings."

There is nothing better in this world than fallible hearsay floating around!

BoulderSooner79
9/3/2014, 09:05 PM
The video will be public soon enough and I don't see it being a good thing for OU or Mixon. I guess getting it over with would be better unless it comes out during off season. I don't see it changing Mixon's suspension this year, so I hope the video stays on hold until after the season.