PDA

View Full Version : son enjoying college baseball

Soonerjeepman
8/16/2014, 10:40 PM
signed with KCK CC here in KC, 1 win away from Juco WS this past season. Anyways, he's a pitcher...has done okay with intra-squad scrimmages this past week. Best day was today. 3 KO, 1 Fly out 2 ground outs in 2 innings.

He did have fun picking sunflower seeds off the turf for 15 min because he was on the losing team the other day. (he walked a batter in his 6 outs). The pitchers pitch to both teams, 6 straight outs...so if they BB or HBP a batter they are losers. Coach definitely emphasized WINNERS and LOSERS...he said. Coach said it's fun when you WIN...you don't play for fun, you play to win.

School starts Monday so he'll be juggling it all then for real.

FaninAma
8/17/2014, 01:45 PM
Exciting times for you guys. All the best to your son.

My 12 year old starts junior high baseball this year. He played on a team that was state runner up in USSSA in OK this summer. Lover the game.

Soonerjeepman
8/23/2014, 06:29 PM
thanks FIA,
cool on your boy. My kid never got into playing the competitive baseball. Decided after his Jr yr he might want to play college ball. Oh, we focused on baseball after 7th grade, summer and fall...got a AAA team the fall of his Sr yr..but never the major tourney traveling stuff . That is where he got noticed. His HS team sucked. I don't think he won 10 games TOTAL in 4 years.

His 6'3 only 185 but the college scouts liked his frame and had positives to say about his work on the mound. The good is he's only pitched about 80 innings his entire life.

Had a intra squad scrimmage Friday. Started, threw 3 innings, 30 pitches, 26 were considered K, 4 KO, no hits, runs, allowed or earned. Good way to end the week.

I hate to not mentioned the daughter..since this is son's baseball thread...but she is walking on at a CC in KS for basketball...only played 1 yr in HS, but she's 6' and works hard. She's finding out THIS past week what it really takes.....she's dying but staying with it.

salth2o
8/25/2014, 02:11 PM
Awesome. I hope he has an amazing year!

I love JUCO baseball.

Where is your daughter walking on?

Soonerjeepman
8/25/2014, 09:35 PM
Hey Salt,
She is walking on at Labette CC in Parsons, Ks. They were one of the lower teams in the Jayhawk league. 2 teams, KCKCC (where my son is playing baseball) and Johnson County CC were ranked in the top 20, JCCC top 5 I believe.

She told me about Wed of last week she was so sore she couldn't take her shirt off...lol..poor kid. She's NEVER worked this hard. Really proud of her...it'll be great for her confidence is anything. The coach called her out in front of team on Day 2. Said she wasn't getting a penny to be there and could have walked out but didn't.

salth2o
8/26/2014, 08:26 AM
That is awesome for her. As a coach, I always loved the first few weeks of training camp. Some serious butt kicking, but it really shows who will work hard and who you want on the floor when the grease gets hot.

Our first day of school was yesterday and I stopped by the gym to watch some basketball practice. I imagine there will be some sore bodies today!

Best of luck to both of your kids. I love JUCO sports and follow it closely.

Soonerjeepman
8/26/2014, 11:50 AM
Thanks...yup, she texted this morning she's still struggling with weight lifting but getting better. That's all she can do is what I told her...stay focused. What level do you coach? I coached HS bball, some girls and boys. JV. I retire from teaching in 5 years and am wanting to go "vol" for a local CC for a year and see if I eventually can get a few bucks. Love the game atmosphere.

FaninAma
8/27/2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the updates.