PDA

View Full Version : No more feasting on cupcakes? Most major conference coaches want to only play power 5

SoonerPride
8/8/2014, 09:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11320309/majority-power-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

The days of the cupcakes are coming to an end.

The playoff implications and the new NCAA vote to create autonomy for the Power 5 will most likely portend major changes in scheduling in the near future.

yermom
8/8/2014, 09:14 AM
the home game thing is a big concern

serious teams are going to need a home and home series, which would not be needed by teams like North Texas or ULM, etc...

multiple road games that far away could be a little rough for fans as well, especially combined with the post season changes

this seems like it would also make it harder for the South Floridas of the world to get started without the extra paydays they got from teams like us when they were just getting into FBS

Widescreen
8/8/2014, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I've been under the impression that some smaller schools essentially fund their athletic departments by playing these types of games. They are likely to suffer as a result of all this.

KantoSooner
8/8/2014, 10:09 AM
The power five account for what? close to 50% of Div 1? What we're doing, in essence, is splitting into a separate division. In crass terms, call it the 'Black Division' on the top end (ie those schools who make money) and the 'Red Division' (those who lose money). And, as always, 'he who has the gold makes the rules'.
You can draw a lot of trend lines back to WWII or beyond that have all shown a loss of power on the part of elite, patrician establishment types centered around smaller, older schools and an increase on the part of more southern/western (and newer, larger, more middle class) schools....and those schools are typified by higher power football programs capable of hauling in the bucks.

dwarthog
8/8/2014, 10:49 AM
I hated to see excessive feeding on "cupcakes" by some programs that seem to "abuse" them for purposes of embellishing their records.

Also hated to see some of "cupcakes" putting their teams on the field every week against bigger stronger team just for $$$ too.

Nothing wrong with them getting a little extra coin in the bank though from time to time. Moderation...

birddog
8/8/2014, 10:56 AM
Gundy said yes? All I've heard from him in the last few years was that the big 12 was too difficult and playing competitive teams in the noncon would hurt their chances at going to the Alamo bowl.

JaxSooner07
8/8/2014, 11:41 AM
So now that the Power 5 is basically splitting off, making their own rules, and possibly not playing a non-Power 5 team again... does this lead to one last round of expansion/alignment? How can schools like Cincinnati, Boise, Tulsa, UCF, etc. just sit there and not beg to get into one of the Power 5? Couldn't these changes ruin some of these smaller and mid sized programs?

I get the argument, but think this is going to crush some of the smaller programs.

Soonerjeepman
8/8/2014, 11:49 AM
lol, my first reaction was hmmmm, ncaa is being proactive. Instead of waiting for the 5 conf to say FU to the ncaa they are letting them run the show.

KantoSooner
8/8/2014, 01:15 PM
letting my imagination run.....

Once the cupcakes disappear, it won't be long before coaches become concerned for player welfare. After all, their guys no longer have soft games. Thus, to be protective of player's health, you need to spread the load over .... more players! So, we relax the schollie limits. Say back up to 120 or maybe higher. And thus, in a simple, evolutionary move, we are back to the old days of stockpiling players.

Back to the Future.

soonergirlNeugene
8/8/2014, 06:22 PM
Kinda hilarious how Snyder was one of the few B12 coaches to defend those cupcake schedules.

S008NER
8/9/2014, 01:34 PM
letting my imagination run.....

Once the cupcakes disappear, it won't be long before coaches become concerned for player welfare. After all, their guys no longer have soft games. Thus, to be protective of player's health, you need to spread the load over .... more players! So, we relax the schollie limits. Say back up to 120 or maybe higher. And thus, in a simple, evolutionary move, we are back to the old days of stockpiling players.

Back to the Future.

I will also let my imagination run wild

This might be the nail that could finally end some of these programs, like a total shutdown of football. Especially when you add the additional issues of possible compensation of players, future medical expenses etc.. So your down to about 65 teams and maybe increase scholarships to 120. But only 11 are on the field for one side at any time during the game. So then what happens on Sunday might have a big impact one college football. Suppose the NFL sees their product is not what it should be because of a reduction of a large pool of athletes to choose from. Think about all the NFL players that did not stand out in high school and went to the smaller schools. So the NFL, which has used the NCAA as its minor league system, funds and supports a new minor league football league that signs graduating high school seniors to contracts. Another things to consider is the tv contracts that have destroyed traditional regional rivalries and brought together schools separated by thousands of miles and no history. What happens if people just gradually stop watching, then what?

Curly Bill
8/9/2014, 01:39 PM
The backlash the NFL would suffer by signing players out of high school, and totally wrecking college football would be prohibitive.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/9/2014, 02:31 PM
The backlash the NFL would suffer by signing players out of high school, and totally wrecking college football would be prohibitive.with lawsuits and the courts taking control of college football, we will have continuing, maybe never ending changes take place in college age people's football. Revenue, boosters and donations, as well as overall popularity, will be waning. Other considerations are the impact political correctness will have on changing the game, as well as injury avoidance.

Curly Bill
8/9/2014, 02:37 PM
I'm not sticking up for football. I actually think it's soon to be on the downslide, and as we learn more about injuries I think you'll see less and less participation as Little Johnny says it isn't worth it, and as Little Johnny's mom says she's not gonna let him play.

In 10-15 years we may not recognize football as we now know it.

8/9/2014, 02:57 PM
So, Track and Field will be the new favorite sport? NASCAR?

Curly Bill
8/9/2014, 03:18 PM
So, Track and Field will be the new favorite sport? NASCAR?

Basketball and soccer.

...and neither within the next decade at least.

...and it pains me to say soccer because I hate it, but I think it's the natural landing place for when Little Johnny doesn't play football.

8/9/2014, 03:32 PM
Basketball and soccer.

...and neither within the next decade at least.

...and it pains me to say soccer because I hate it, but I think it's the natural landing place for when Little Johnny doesn't play football.HEAD INJURIES plus , soooooo boring and such

Curly Bill
8/9/2014, 03:38 PM
HEAD INJURIES plus , soooooo boring and such

You're telling me, and I don't think soccer in and of itself is the next big thing like the soccer geeks have been claiming for 20+ years now. I just think when football loses participation at the youth levels, and the decline in participation then follows them up as they age, the natural landing spot for many of them is soccer.

...and I'm not saying football disappears sometime in the next 10-20 years, I just think it loses the all powerful position it now holds on the American sports landscape.

birddog
8/9/2014, 03:55 PM
Soccer is the sport most of the kids start with now. I think it is a great sport for kids to develop foot speed, cutting, agility, and quickness that helps them carry over to American sports. A quick Google search will tell you that participation in soccer at the youth level buries just about any other sport. Sure it's boring to many people but I think it's a great way for kids to develop athletically.

birddog
8/9/2014, 03:56 PM
And if it helps them avoid playing cupcake schedules at the college football level.....

Soonerjeepman
8/9/2014, 04:53 PM
unfortunately I also think in 20ish yrs, futbol will be the new football.

Obviously, eye/foot coordination comes first, making it successful at a young age. The baseball coach at a small NAIA school that recruited my son was very concerned that we need to develop baseball again as "America's Game". Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

Curly Bill
8/9/2014, 08:07 PM
unfortunately I also think in 20ish yrs, futbol will be the new football.

Obviously, eye/foot coordination comes first, making it successful at a young age. The baseball coach at a small NAIA school that recruited my son was very concerned that we need to develop baseball again as "America's Game". Unfortunately I don't see that happening.

Fortunately I don't either, because if people think soccer is boring - and it is, baseball is like a whole bottle of sleeping pills.

BigTip
8/9/2014, 10:11 PM
I'm not sticking up for football. I actually think it's soon to be on the downslide,

Like everything else in this country.

soonergirlNeugene
8/10/2014, 03:36 PM
Some of yall turn emo faster than a preteen who's lost her One Direction tickets.

TAFBSooner
8/10/2014, 07:48 PM
Do y'all know much about MMA? If football declines, how much of the talent pool that now goes into football goes into MMA vs soccer? Given that kids are playing soccer as their first sport in grade school?

Curly Bill
8/10/2014, 07:57 PM
Do y'all know much about MMA? If football declines, how much of the talent pool that now goes into football goes into MMA vs soccer? Given that kids are playing soccer as their first sport in grade school?

If moms and dads aren't letting Little Johnny play football, I don't see MMA being a viable option. Frankly I doubt most kids would be drawn to it even with their parents okay.

8/10/2014, 08:02 PM
Some of yall turn emo..emotional?

8timechamps
8/10/2014, 08:09 PM
the home game thing is a big concern

serious teams are going to need a home and home series, which would not be needed by teams like North Texas or ULM, etc...

multiple road games that far away could be a little rough for fans as well, especially combined with the post season changes

this seems like it would also make it harder for the South Floridas of the world to get started without the extra paydays they got from teams like us when they were just getting into FBS

Yeah, I've been under the impression that some smaller schools essentially fund their athletic departments by playing these types of games. They are likely to suffer as a result of all this.

This is exactly why I don't think the cupcakes will go away completely. There's just too much money at stake, and the small programs can't survive without the payday they receive from playing one of the majors on occasion.

I do believe we'll start seeing better OOC match-ups, but that's nothing new for Sooner fans. Programs like Baylor and Texas Tech will be in for a rude awakening though.

My biggest concern about the P5 autonomy, is that it will kill non-revenue sports for the non-P5 schools. As a Sooner fan, it doesn't affect me at all. As a person, I hate to see things like that happening. There just won't be money available when the non-P5 have to spend money to keep up with the P5 schools (especially in recruiting), and will have to make cuts.

TAFBSooner
8/11/2014, 08:58 AM
If moms and dads aren't letting Little Johnny play football, I don't see MMA being a viable option. Frankly I doubt most kids would be drawn to it even with their parents okay.

I meant after they're out of mom and dad's house. You're right, I don't see anyone trying to organize 7th grade MMA leagues.

Curly Bill
8/11/2014, 09:09 AM
I meant after they're out of mom and dad's house. You're right, I don't see anyone trying to organize 7th grade MMA leagues.

I still don't see a large number of kids saying: I'm not gonna play football, but that MMA looks like some fun. Sure there may be more participation in MMA, which I'd guess is happening anyway, but I just don't see large numbers heading into it. I think it takes a pretty dedicated kid to say he's gonna dedicate himself to a combat sport.

Pride1Mom
8/11/2014, 09:25 AM
One of the things I like when OU plays a cupcake team is seeing the guys that are sitting on the bench play. They are important to the progress of the team, and seeing them to finally get on the field for Mom and Dad is heart warming. They work as hard as everyone else, but just are not as good as the chosen few.