PDA

View Full Version : #3 to start the Coaches Poll

Alum81
7/31/2014, 04:39 PM
I'd prefer to be lower, but I'll take it.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/florida-state-tops-2014-usa-today-coaches-poll-073114

SoonerPride
7/31/2014, 04:43 PM
I haven't been this stoked for a football season since the Bradford years.

KantoSooner
7/31/2014, 04:51 PM
I haven't been this stoked for a football season since the Bradford years.

Heh. God I love a good backhanded Landry slam!

Well Played, Sir!

swardboy
7/31/2014, 05:03 PM
So, only FSU and we got first place votes. But Bama winds up #2. Consolation prize for getting rolled in the Sugar Bowl.

BoulderSooner79
7/31/2014, 05:30 PM
Heh. God I love a good backhanded Landry slam!

Well Played, Sir!

I'll give LJ a shout-out - I was pretty stoked before the '11 season. And before we lost Whaley and Broyles, it was a darn good team.

Wishboned
7/31/2014, 06:26 PM
Georgia not in the top ten. I guess they won't have as far to fall this season then.

BoulderSooner79
7/31/2014, 07:01 PM
So, only FSU and we got first place votes. But Bama winds up #2. Consolation prize for getting rolled in the Sugar Bowl.

No, FSU got 56 of 62 votes and OU got 3, so there were 3 more votes to spread around. I'll bet Bama got 1 or 2. ;)

Both OU and Bama are different teams this year and not to hard to understand Bama's ranking given the last 4-5 consecutive recruiting hauls. OU's ranking is more speculative, IMO.

Blue
7/31/2014, 07:03 PM
We kicked bammers ***, they lose their QB, they're ranked ahead of us. Pfft.

BoulderSooner79
7/31/2014, 07:07 PM

You sound like LSU fans claiming they kicked our *** after the '03 season. In both cases, I saw a close game. But if you really live in AL, I can understand feeling that way - surrounded by the enemy.

Blue
7/31/2014, 07:09 PM
They are not gonna be better than last year sporting a new qb. We are gonna be better. Whats hard to understand about that?

Blue
7/31/2014, 07:11 PM
And why the heck would I say I live in Alabama if I did not, Bouldersooner, if that is your real name...? lol.

BoulderSooner79
7/31/2014, 07:14 PM
They are not gonna be better than last year sporting a new qb. We are gonna be better. Whats hard to understand about that?

It's speculated we will be better* with a whole new set of RBs and WR (plus Shepard), new center, Colvin replacement, etc. I'm as optimistic as any fan it will happen, but still speculation.

*by better, I mean better than last year. I'm not comparing to Bama because I don't follow them closely. I just know they are 2 deep at every position with highly recruited players and a proven HC.

Blue
7/31/2014, 07:15 PM
Fair enough. But I really hate them.

BoulderSooner79
7/31/2014, 07:20 PM
Fair enough. But I really hate them.

And there's nothing wrong with that. :cocksure: I lived in Boulder in '07 when we suffered what I think is Stoop's worst loss as far as how inferior the CU team was. I got grief at work for that one. Fortunately, CU fans are not rabid ala Bama fans, so it was pretty much forgotten in a couple of weeks.

Curly Bill
7/31/2014, 08:08 PM
I'm not a Bama fan, but it wouldn't be shocking if they're not better. Their old QB, whatever the hell his name was, was not a playmaker, nor in anyway what you'd call a dynamic player. He was simply steady and dependable. If they get dynamic QB play, and it's hard to predict, they could in fact be better on the offensive side of the ball.

mainline13
7/31/2014, 08:44 PM
And there's nothing wrong with that. :cocksure: I lived in Boulder in '07 when we suffered what I think is Stoop's worst loss as far as how inferior the CU team was. I got grief at work for that one. Fortunately, CU fans are not rabid ala Bama fans, so it was pretty much forgotten in a couple of weeks.

It being Boulder and CU fans, they probably forgot about it after the next time they toked up.

BoulderSooner79
7/31/2014, 09:09 PM
It being Boulder and CU fans, they probably forgot about it after the next time they toked up.

And there is nothing wrong with that either. :wink: Lots of things to do in Boulder which is why I lived there for 30 years. I miss it for about 6-7 months of the year, but don't miss that winter. Never smoked any weed there as I got that out of my system in good 'ol Norman, OK.

SoonerForLife92
7/31/2014, 11:50 PM
You sound like LSU fans claiming they kicked our *** after the '03 season. In both cases, I saw a close game. But if you really live in AL, I can understand feeling that way - surrounded by the enemy.

It was a good close game. That's why nicky's little comments lately are asinine.

I prefer Bama starting over us. I wish we were lower like the OP. Puts a chip on the guy's shoulders again.

soonergirlNeugene
8/1/2014, 12:25 AM
Been reading articles about how we are the trendy "overrated in the preseason" pick by the media. I hate the offseason. Preseason, whatever. One team is the favorite one week, then the next, someone has to distinguish themselves by disagreeing, then the lemmings follow. And not a snap has been played. I can't not read sports articles b/c by this time of the year I'm desperate for any football-related content, but I can literally feel myself getting dumber with each new article I finish.

Jacie
8/1/2014, 08:07 AM
McCarron was the bama equivalent of Steve Davis, those championships were due to outstanding defense and an offense that didn't lose games. Please note I am only talking about the tide teams now, not comparing the Sooner teams of the mid-70's to them, I am commenting about A.J. While their 2014 QB may not have as pretty gf, he could easily be better and their offensive stats improve. But being his first year as starter, the odds are he will make more mistakes and thus the increased potential to cause a loss.

thecrimsoncrusader
8/1/2014, 08:23 AM
Given that Oklahoma was 11-2 last season and won the Sugar Bowl against Alabama despite Oklahoma...

- Breaking in a new offensive system
- Breaking in a new defensive system
- Breaking in a new QB and having erratic QB play all season long and even playing 3 QBs in a single game
- Breaking in a new offensive line coach
- Breaking in a new defensive line coach
- Breaking in a new special teams/tight-end coach
- Only returning 3 starters on defense
- Losing its Top 2 receivers from the previous season
- Losing its best defensive tackle for the season
- Losing its best linebacker for the season
- Losing its best offensive utility play for the season
- Losing its leading rusher to suspension for the season
- Being without 5 starters in the Sugar Bowl and still winning

And now...

- Returning 9 starters on defense
- Returning 4 out of 5 starting offensive linemen
- Trevor Knight now getting most of the reps in spring and fall drills unlike last season
- Having a more favorable schedule than last season

I would say the #3 ranking for Oklahoma makes a lot of sense. It's hard to worry about the running back group when since post 1999, Oklahoma's worst group of backs were Renaldo Works and Kejuan Jones and Oklahoma STILL played for the national title regardless of that. Not to mention the backs are coached by Cale Gundy, one of the best if not the best running backs coaches in the nation and Oklahoma has a fair amount to work with with Keith Ford, Alex Ross, Samaje Perine and possibly Mixon, but we'll see how the Mixon situation pans out.

As far as the receivers, Sterling Shepard is already a proven receiver and was Oklahoma's 2nd leading receiver last season and while Neal has had limited playing time, he's been in the system awhile now and could have a very good year. After that, Oklahoma then has a truckload of highly touted receivers where even if only half of them pan out, Oklahoma will be in great shape.

badger
8/1/2014, 08:35 AM
#3 to start the Coaches Poll
So if the seasons ended today, we'd be in the new playoff thing :D:D:D:D:D

BermudaSooner
8/1/2014, 08:52 AM

then why isn't Baylor ahead of us?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/1/2014, 09:02 AM

Because Baylor got blown out by OSU and OU beat OSU and Oklahoma beat a legit BCS foe in a BCS bowl game while Baylor lost to a mid-major in their BCS bowl along with giving up about 50 points. I know what your point was, but just sayin'. :)

badger
8/1/2014, 09:14 AM

Texas should also be ahead of us. I like beating them when they're top 5 instead of a unranked buffoon that nearly lost at Iowa State :mack: