PDA

View Full Version : A question about Obamacare for those who are affected.

olevetonahill
7/3/2014, 09:41 AM
Please keep Politics and arguing out of this. Just state how its affected You or Yours If at all.
Has it Helped? Hurt? Not a dayum thing?

Just curious about how its working out.

Turd_Ferguson
7/3/2014, 10:24 AM
Picked up some "free" birth control just yesterday. Course, I only use it for acne and heavy ministarial cramps...

olevetonahill
7/3/2014, 02:33 PM
Picked up some "free" birth control just yesterday. Course, I only use it for acne and heavy ministarial cramps...

Heh

hawaii 5-0
7/3/2014, 05:12 PM
Most people don't even qualify for Obamacare.

5-0

SCOUT
7/3/2014, 05:33 PM
Most people don't even qualify for Obamacare.

5-0
While true, most insurance plans must comply with Obamacare.

hawaii 5-0
7/3/2014, 10:17 PM
While true, most insurance plans must comply with Obamacare.

I'm very happy with the part that:

Lets kids stay on their parent's plan till they're 26.

Prevents denial due to a pre-existing condition.

Eliminates lifetime limits on essential medical expenses.

For starters. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's better than having to go to an ER after it's almost too late.

I think most insurance companies are happy with added enrollments.

Stay tuned....... we'll see.

5-0

olevetonahill
7/3/2014, 10:40 PM
Dint ax for your OPINIONS I axed for your Experience with if Ya aint had any then it dont matter what ya think

I aint got a clue how it works the VA takes care of My medical. Im curious if its Helped /hurt/not affected anyone.

SCOUT
7/3/2014, 10:46 PM
My experience is that we have had to hire two attorneys just to make sure we are compliant. Our biggest concern is that we are going to be excessively taxed because we offer what is well above the "Cadillac Plan" levels.

Think of that in context. We are paying money to make sure we can continue to provide incredible insurance coverage. Is that the intent of the ACA?

olevetonahill
7/3/2014, 10:55 PM
My experience is that we have had to hire two attorneys just to make sure we are compliant. Our biggest concern is that we are going to be excessively taxed because we offer what is well above the "Cadillac Plan" levels.

Think of that in context. We are paying money to make sure we can continue to provide incredible insurance coverage. Is that the intent of the ACA?

Matlock8 musta came up with THAT Heh

achiro
7/4/2014, 07:49 AM
We've had a few come in the office proudly dropping their insurance card expecting it to pay for their care only to be sorely disappointed to find out that with the high deductable that they would have no insurance help at all.

BoulderSooner79
7/4/2014, 04:49 PM
I haven't investigated it yet, but I have a grown kid on my work plan who will turn 26 in the next year. ACA might be an option then.

FaninAma
7/4/2014, 06:02 PM
I'm very happy with the part that:

Lets kids stay on their parent's plan till they're 26.

Prevents denial due to a pre-existing condition.

Eliminates lifetime limits on essential medical expenses.

For starters. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's better than having to go to an ER after it's almost too late.

I think most insurance companies are happy with added enrollments.

Stay tuned....... we'll see.

5-0

We'll see if you love your higher premiums and deductibles as well. Patient's whose insurance plans have come under the ACA guidelines have been absolutely shocked at the increased costs and deductibles.

olevetonahill
7/4/2014, 06:18 PM
So NO ONE here has experienced it either Good or Bad. Thanks.

BoulderSooner79
7/4/2014, 08:30 PM
So NO ONE here has experienced it either Good or Bad. Thanks.

If the rule about keeping your kids on existing plans until age 26 is part of ACA, then that has been a good experience for me. We did have to buy separate insurance before switching back to being an eligible beneficiary. Saved me some money. Haven't looked into the actual insurance.

EDIT: I looked it up, and the extension to 26 years for the age of dependent children on parents health care plans did indeed come from ACA. I knew it was a new rule, but I didn't know it was part of ACA. That's definitely been a plus for me in both cost and quality of coverage. I'll benefit for about 1 more year and I hope the kid will be on their own by then.

yermom
7/5/2014, 03:00 PM
my insurance seems to be a bit more expensive, maybe

that's all i got

yermom
7/5/2014, 03:08 PM
We've had a few come in the office proudly dropping their insurance card expecting it to pay for their care only to be sorely disappointed to find out that with the high deductable that they would have no insurance help at all.

my chiro co-pay dropped from $40 to $15 this year

okiewaker
7/6/2014, 11:01 AM
My plan through my company changed a little in terms of whats covered but my copays and deductible have went up.

Soonerjeepman
7/9/2014, 01:09 AM
my kids have had their own plans since about 14 yrs old, 18/22 now. The reason is my work (school district) plan would have cost me about $800 out of pocket each month. So far my son's is 183.00 a month and the daughter's (22 yr old) is 122.00 a month. So obviously we've not had them on any parent's plan for awhile.

I did look to see if my son's (18 yr old) plan could be changed since he turned 18 and in Ks that means more options, not just BCBS. Unfortunately with ACA any policy I looked at the deductible went from 1500.00 to minimum 4000.00 and the coverage from 80/20 to 50/50 with only a premium savings of around $60 a month.

So, ACA, even though it hasn't directly affected me, it has because I cannot get lower premiums. Probably going to get worse.

As far as my insurance, I believe they said there will be a cost increase and it will be passed onto us...I need to double check that.

achiro
7/9/2014, 07:36 AM
my chiro co-pay dropped from $40 to $15 this year

Is that a policy through your employer or is it an "Obamacare" policy?

BoulderSooner79
7/9/2014, 11:40 AM
I've had what is considered top level coverage through my employer for over 30 years. The costs have crept up and the coverage has been gradually chipped away over that entire time. That had nothing to do with ACA, but just a reflection of the rising real cost of health coverage and the motivation for ACA in the first place. My father has been retired for over 20 years and the same thing has happened to him via his pension coverage. ACA may indeed turn out to be a big bust, but I don't think the full impact will be known for a few years and they can certainly tweak the rules as they collect feedback. The measuring stick will have to be against what the projected costs and coverage *would have been* without it because I guarantee they would have continued to rise.

olevetonahill
7/9/2014, 01:06 PM
Aw more supposition and guess work with NO FACTS, Thanks Bro.

BoulderSooner79
7/9/2014, 02:17 PM
Aw more supposition and guess work with NO FACTS, Thanks Bro.

I gave you real facts about the 26 y.o. dependents rule from ACA that has saved me hundreds of dollars. I gave you facts that my costs have gone up pre-ACA for 3 decades. Yes, it's supposition that it would continue to climb, but there is a mountain of data to support that conclusion. I don't hold out much hope that ACA will slow that trend and it could well accelerate it. I do understand it is exactly that trend that was the motivation to try to do something. The other motivation is that the US spends the most $$ per person than any country in the world but the service was rated #16 and falling. Not a great track record for status quo. But going with your theme of keeping politics out of it, I'll just look at the data after a few years of implementation.

My personal opinion is that health care will not improve in either cost or rating unless people take personal responsibility. That means quit smoking, stop eating junk, keeping weight within reasonable limits and getting off the couch and moving around a bit every day. But I don't see how such behavior can be tied to insurance premiums unless big brother measures everything we do, and I'm not hoping for that.

badger
7/9/2014, 02:45 PM
My personal impact:
- Insurance co-pay for doctor's visits, including pediatrician ones, up $5 per visit
- Medication covered by insurance is cheaper/free

Oklahoma's impact:
Insure Oklahoma got an extension (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capitol_report/insure-oklahoma-gets-an-extension/article_43258df3-2b2b-5d1c-aef7-73404c310954.html)
Hobby Lobby lol (http://www.tulsaworld.com/newshomepage1/supreme-court-rules-for-hobby-lobby-in-contraceptive-insurance-case/article_a7d0a2b6-3818-5e4a-9d17-a87d6caafb5a.html)

I think the biggest impact is that people are now thinking actively about their health and what would happen if they were to need medical care, medication, etc. Would your insurance cover it? Are there better/cheaper options? Is my family covered adequately? What does my employer offer?

My personal opinion is that health care will not improve in either cost or rating unless people take personal responsibility. That means quit smoking, stop eating junk, keeping weight within reasonable limits and getting off the couch and moving around a bit every day.

Older people tend to be set in their healthy or unhealthy ways, but I do see younger people taking action to be healthier. You can see it with soda sales falling and fast food staples trying their best to keep people eating their junk

8timechamps
7/10/2014, 06:12 PM
It has cost me a sizable amount. I suppose it's a secondary affect, but the premiums for my company's group policy skyrocketed. I made the decision to cover the increased cost rather than passing it on to my employees. However, I had planned to hire an additional administrative position over the summer, and that wasn't feasible. I even looked into different (cheaper) plans, but decided to stay with one that was very close to what I had prior to the change.

I'm fortunate. I was in a position to cover the cost (at least this year). There are a lot of folks out there that couldn't.

My biggest issue (sorry, a little bit of opinion here), is that it caused so much chaos. The time I had to spend on, something that normally was handled in an hour, was ridiculous. Then, our carrier couldn't seem to get the coverage worked out in time, so that resulted in a couple of employees having billing issues.