PDA

View Full Version : Dorial Green-Beckham Spotted On Campus At Oklahoma

SoonerPride
7/3/2014, 09:30 AM
http://collegespun.com/sec/missouri/report-dorial-green-beckham-spotted-on-campus-at-oklahoma

olevetonahill
7/3/2014, 09:45 AM
Dont much care for it , But "In Stoops I Trust"

KantoSooner
7/3/2014, 09:47 AM
On one hand, that means that he'd eligible for a Trevor Knight R-Jr year. Nice target.

On the other, is the guy lockerroom cancer?

In either case, our coaches should make this decision very quickly to avoid frosting WR recruits. I'll go with whatever Bob and Norvell decide; they've got both more and better facts and more skin in this game than I. But, again, the decision needs to come down muy pronto. Like by Monday.

olevetonahill
7/3/2014, 09:50 AM
On one hand, that means that he'd eligible for a Trevor Knight R-Jr year. Nice target.

On the other, is the guy lockerroom cancer?

In either case, our coaches should make this decision very quickly to avoid frosting WR recruits. I'll go with whatever Bob and Norvell decide; they've got both more and better facts and more skin in this game than I. But, again, the decision needs to come down muy pronto. Like by Monday.

Yup

badger
7/3/2014, 10:20 AM
I see all of my gloating about "OU doesn't recruit trash like OSU, nyah nyah one of your players got arrested" going down the drain.

It has been awhile since we've had embarrassing off-field issues. The last one I can think of was our red haired amateur rapper. Gahhhh why can't our offseason just be uniform squabbling and stadium expansion talk

TheHumanAlphabet
7/3/2014, 10:41 AM
So what was the nasty off campus incident? Arrested for drug possession?

SoonerPride
7/3/2014, 11:10 AM
So what was the nasty off campus incident? Arrested for drug possession?

Legal issues

Late on the night of October 3, 2012 Green-Beckham and two other freshman teammates, linebacker Torey Boozer and receiver Levi Copelin, were arrested on drug charges by the University of Missouri police department after the three were found in possession of 35 grams (1.2 oz) or less of marijuana.[21] Green-Beckham and the others were parked in a vehicle south of Memorial Stadium in Columbia at the time of their arrest. Two other unnamed individuals—also Mizzou players—were in the vehicle as well, but were released after police determined they were not involved in the drug possession.[21] After being processed at the campus police station Green-Beckham, Boozer, and Copelin were released on signature summons.[22] In response to the arrest a spokesperson for the MU athletic department said that all five players would be suspended from the next game, October 6 against Vanderbilt. Other disciplinary action may also be taken by the team[21] and handled internally with no additional public comment on the issue.[22] The case was resolved on October 16, 2012 when Green-Beckham entered a guilty plea to a reduced charge of tresspassing in Columbia, Missouri Municipal Court. He was fined $200 plus court costs.[23]

On January 10, 2014 Green-Beckham was again arrested on a drug-related charge.[24] Officials with the Springfield, Missouri police department confirmed the Mizzou star was arrested on suspicion of drug activity and booked into the Greene County, Missouri jail in the early morning hours of January 11th. Police found a pound of marijuana in the car he was riding in.[24] According to the Springfield News-Leader, Green-Beckham was originally arrested for possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute following a traffic stop but was later released without charges, pending further investigation.[25] Authorities, citing an ongoing investigation, declined to provide further information on the incident.
Dismissal

On Friday, April 11, 2014, Dorial Green-Beckham was dismissed from the University of Missouri football team. His dismissal followed his prior drug-related problems and an incident in which he allegedly forced open an apartment door and pushed an 18-year-old woman down several stairs. Green-Beckham was not charged in the incident, with police citing a lack of cooperation from the alleged victim. Head coach Gary Pinkel said in a prepared statement, "This decision was made with the best interests of all involved in mind. Dorial's priority going forward needs to be focusing on getting the help he needs. As we have all along, we will continue to do everything we can to assist Dorial and his family. We care deeply about Dorial and his well-being, but hopefully he can benefit from a fresh start."[26]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorial_Green-Beckham

NorthernIowaSooner
7/3/2014, 11:17 AM
If they allow him to come he should be on a very short leash. So much so that skipping class or tutor sessions should get his butt booted off the team.

His is very talented but the line needs to be drawn in concrete.

SoonerPride
7/3/2014, 11:38 AM
If they allow him to come he should be on a very short leash. So much so that skipping class or tutor sessions should get his butt booted off the team.

His is very talented but the line needs to be drawn in concrete.

Agree 100%.

We don't need to tarnish our rep for anyone.

Kids should get a second (or third chance) but not unlimited do-overs.

One slip up and buh-bye.

But if he's got his head screwed on straight this time then he could be an awesome addition.

BoulderSooner79
7/3/2014, 11:38 AM
Hide the women!

(At least on the upper floors).

KantoSooner
7/3/2014, 11:41 AM
nah. In granite.

badger
7/3/2014, 12:02 PM
Y'know usually eff ups end up at lesser programs, not better ones.

What message is being sent when a guy goes from a sh!tty Misery crapfest to the best college football program in the country? At least when Cam Newton was scouting out a potential landing spot, he had to spend a year at Blinn College before getting invited back to another SEC program.

SoonerMarkVA
7/3/2014, 12:14 PM
In Stoops I Trust

Yup. Stoops has earned the benefit of the doubt. I also am confident that if he makes a mistake on DGB, or anyone else for that matter, he won't hesitate to cut the loss and send him packing.

badger
7/3/2014, 12:39 PM
Gotta love Cale Gundy: (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/dorial-green-beckham-reportedly-on-ou-campus/article_d453500c-5aae-5cc8-8797-c25dd1247381.html)

Approached after leaving the Switzer Center, Beckham’s father, John, waved off reporters.

Gundy did the same initially, before he was asked if Green-Beckham had signed a non-binding financial aid agreement with OU, something that would allow Sooner coaches access to prospects even during dead recruiting periods.

“He’s here, isn’t he? Gundy replied. “We’re not that dumb.”

Eielson
7/3/2014, 12:58 PM
He'd still have to sit out this season, wouldn't he? I just don't see anyway he suits up for us.

sooneron
7/3/2014, 01:17 PM
I really don't want him at OU. Being caught with a pound means that you're rolling with a dealer or middle man. I wish pot were legal (no, I don't smoke it), but as it now stands if you're hanging around with the distribution end, you're hanging out with the nefarious. I'm sure Les Miles will give him a shot. Shoving a chick down some stairs sounds very Lawrence Phillips-like.

KantoSooner
7/3/2014, 01:18 PM
And the announcement was just made, he's a Sooner, now.
At least they made the announcement fast.

SoonerMarkVA
7/3/2014, 01:21 PM
And the announcement was just made, he's a Sooner, now.
At least they made the announcement fast.

Where? You have a link, or did you hear it on radio?

Edit: nevermind: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11172799/dorial-green-beckham-visiting-oklahoma-sooners

KantoSooner
7/3/2014, 01:23 PM
The Football Braniacs

MichiganSooner
7/3/2014, 01:24 PM
He'd still have to sit out this season, wouldn't he? I just don't see anyway he suits up for us.

If he enrolls at OU, he would have to sit out a season and be eligible for 2015. The NCAA could grant a waiver and make him eligible to play in 2014. His other options would be to sit out this season and enter the 2015 NFL draft or enroll with a school playing a lower division of football and be eligible in 2014.

SoonersEnFuego
7/3/2014, 01:47 PM
He is officially a Sooner. per NewsOK

cvsooner
7/3/2014, 01:53 PM
Yup.

Lot of risk/reward here. I expect Stoops will ride him extra hard.

Says something about the depth of our receiving corps that they're even entertaining this idea. And he can't play in 2014, most likely, so there's that too...adding depth?

Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders both worked out pretty well, though neither of them had the troubles that DGB has had. Maybe he has genuinely turned it around. Let's hope.

olevetonahill
7/3/2014, 02:21 PM
I Trust Bob, This Dude must be a tremendous Talent for us to even take a chance

Boomer.....
7/3/2014, 02:25 PM
Yup.

Says something about the depth of our receiving corps that they're even entertaining this idea. And he can't play in 2014, most likely, so there's that too...adding depth?

Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders both worked out pretty well, though neither of them had the troubles that DGB has had. Maybe he has genuinely turned it around. Let's hope.

This isn't even close to the same situation. The others transfered without incident. DGB was kicked off the team for multiple infractions and is looking to play somewhere else. I guess since it was down to OU and Mizzou when he committed, it make sense to look here first. I don't necessarily like it, but know the coaches will be all over him to keep him in line. If he **** up again, this will look bad.

Eielson
7/3/2014, 02:30 PM
I don't think there's a lot of risk here. From a PR perspective, I guess. In the big picture, I don't think people really care that Winston rapes people, USC bought Bush a house, Auburn paid for Newton, Florida had more players get arrested than get degrees, etc. FSU still won the title, Auburn still won the title, Florida still beat us, and we certainly didn't win the game that never happened. DGB will be on a short leash, and I honestly don't see him playing for us unless he gets a waiver for this year. If he doesn't step out of line, we got a great player. If he does, he gets booted, and no harm done.

I used to be about character until Spags came to the Rams. We had this "4 pillars" thing where we picked up high character guys. We sure had high character guys, but we didn't win. Fisher threw that out and has picked up guys like Britt, Jenkins, etc., and now we're winning. I'd rather win with low-character guys then lose with high-character. If you thought our team was full of model citizens before DGB, you're severely mistaken. I don't mind us taking on guys with troubled history. I just want to see us have a quick trigger on guys who are becoming a distraction or are making a habit of getting into legal trouble.

Eielson
7/3/2014, 02:34 PM
I don't necessarily like it, but know the coaches will be all over him to keep him in line. If he **** up again, this will look bad.

Exactly. He's a young guy who had too much fame too quickly and he thought he was invincible...and then life smacked him in the face. Some kids get it, and some kids don't. I've never met him, so it's hard for me to know, but the OU coaching staff has. He's got millions of dollars on the line here to behave. Money is a huge motivational factor. He'll be the most physically gifted WR we've ever had, and he could absolutely make the difference in winning a championship. Cam Newton is living proof that it can work.

cvsooner
7/3/2014, 02:36 PM
DGB had something like 60 catches for about 900 yards last season and 12 TDs. 6-6, strong and fast. I can see why we'd entertain the idea, and we nearly landed him in the first place.

Well, guess we'll see.

cvsooner
7/3/2014, 02:40 PM
Joe Schad is reporting "Green-Beckham’s admission to Oklahoma came with specific stipulations including continued rehabilitation and drug testing." and "Green-Beckham enters Oklahoma under a "zero-tolerance" policy. There were "due diligence" conversations b/w OU and Missouri coaching staffs." via Twitter.

cvsooner
7/3/2014, 03:12 PM
Looks like from the media analysis, DGB could play this season if (mighty big IF) Mizzou says it's okay.

8timechamps
7/3/2014, 03:31 PM
I wasn't thrilled with the idea of DGB coming to Norman, but if Stoops supports him, then I will too. Welcome aboard!

It's no secret that Coaches Stoops and Norvell know he and his family very well, that is probably the single biggest reason he found a landing spot at OU. In this case, I trust Stoops has made the right decision.

As for DGB the player, this is a HUGE addition to the offense. I wish he would have come to OU in the first place, but now that he's here, he's going to be very dangerous on the field. He has NFL written all over him, and will provide an advantage in the passing game against anyone we play.

Sounds like Stoops wanted a 2 year commitment from DGB before he would even entertain the idea. I doubt we'll see him on the field this year, but whenever he gets out there, it's going to be exciting. If he has to sit out this year, our scout team could end up being the second best team in the conference.

badger
7/3/2014, 03:45 PM
Looks like from the media analysis, DGB could play this season if (mighty big IF) Mizzou says it's okay.

I think Mizzou is happy to be rid of him, based on what I've seen quoted. There's some NCAA rule that if a school takes a kid off scholarship that they're eligible to play immediately elsewhere. LSU did it for a bball player that is now at OSU recently

8timechamps
7/3/2014, 04:30 PM
I think Mizzou is happy to be rid of him, based on what I've seen quoted. There's some NCAA rule that if a school takes a kid off scholarship that they're eligible to play immediately elsewhere. LSU did it for a bball player that is now at OSU recently

I'm sure the Mizzou coaches hated to let him go, but they really didn't have much choice at the end. Sounds like Stoops (and other OU coaches) communicated back and forth with the Mizzou staff, so I'm sure the Mizzou coaches are pulling for him to get back on track.

There's an obscure rule the NCAA has about waiving the mandatory one year waiting period if the player was taken off of scholarship. Not sure how this will relate, but I suppose it's possible he could play this season.

REDREX
7/3/2014, 04:35 PM
I bet he never plays a down----He wants to go PRO and has said so

cvsooner
7/3/2014, 05:04 PM

Yeah, that's part of the rule. The school they've left, however, still has to grant permission. LSU could've said no and that would have that. Mizzou might do the same thing. Guess we'll just have to wait.

Scott D
7/3/2014, 05:08 PM

that's kind of what every player wants to do.

sooneron
7/3/2014, 05:09 PM
He'd better have a "pulling a family out of a burning vehicle" moment and soon.

Eielson
7/3/2014, 05:16 PM
that's kind of what every player wants to do.

You beat me to it.

8timechamps
7/3/2014, 05:21 PM

I'll take that bet. No way Stoops brings him in (given the media around him) and gives him a scholarship if he's never going to play. It may just be one year, but he'll play.

hawaii 5-0
7/3/2014, 05:32 PM
I'm usually glad to see kids get second chances.

I imagine a lot of us still made stupid mistakes into our early 20's. Hell, some are still screwing up.

He'll be watched very closely. Remember Damian Williams and his love of the weed.

Ryan Reynolds turned it around after his gasoline 'problem'.

Wasn't there some kid named Box who liked to pee in public?

5-0

dennis580
7/3/2014, 05:44 PM
Hard to pass on a guy this talented. from a football standpoint everybody should be extremely excited. This is the guy who can help carry us a national championship.

dennis580
7/3/2014, 05:47 PM
Yup.

Not depth they are adding a guy who can flat out dominate. He is one of the most physically talented recievers you will ever see.

DenverSooner751
7/3/2014, 06:15 PM
^^THIS!!!!

As long as his head stays on straight this is something to be pumped for.

cvsooner
7/3/2014, 06:16 PM
Don't remember which newsman posted on Twitter but it was something to the effect of DGB will be gone if "so much as farts in a meeting." So it's a pretty short leash, apparently. Good on Stoops for giving the kid a chance. As I say, hopefully the player recognizes this is a real lifeline and grabs it.

BoulderSooner79
7/3/2014, 06:25 PM
He'd better have a "pulling a family out of a burning vehicle" moment and soon.

Any volunteers to drive the burning vehicle up and down Lindsey?

sendbaht
7/3/2014, 07:24 PM
Maybe he should have gone to a school in Colorado or Washington State...But, most folks deserve a 2nd well in the case a 4th chance.
No pot and can not be up stares....only 1st floor.I bet he will do fine now.....

swardboy
7/3/2014, 08:32 PM
So DGB's next year will be his Junior year? I hope he HAS turned a corner in his life, and if so, I hope he does give us two years.

SoonerorLater
7/3/2014, 09:15 PM
Not sure what to think about this. Is it more about what Bob Stoops thinks about DGB or more of an indictment of his current crop of receivers?

picasso
7/3/2014, 09:36 PM
Lynn McGruder.

BoulderSooner79
7/3/2014, 09:42 PM
Not sure what to think about this. Is it more about what Bob Stoops thinks about DGB or more of an indictment of his current crop of receivers?

Tough question. Of course, none of the current receivers came in with close to the expectation of DGB. And outside Shepard, there is the inexperience factor too. Accepting DGB makes a lot of sense if he can play this fall. It seems much more questionable on the surface if he has to sit out (IMO, of course). I think the biggest risk is the impact on the morale of current players competing for playing time. This just seems different than a guy like Saunders coming in or a freshman phenom being recruited and starting. This isn't a guy that did it the right way.

8timechamps
7/3/2014, 09:51 PM

It's all about what Stoops thinks about DGB and his family.

Without DGB, out WR group is better situated than it was two years ago. We have a proven guy (Shepard), a guy that's played a lot of football (Neal) and a bunch of guys that have seen time and have the talent. Our recruiting is going well in that area, so there's no reason Stoops would be pressing the panic button on this.

Stoops has never hesitated to go to the JUCOs to find depth/talent (LaColtan Bester was the most recent). If it was concern for the current unit, it would have been addressed before now. This has everything to do with Stoops and DGB, a kid we heavily recruited.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall in the face-to-face meeting (between Stoops and DGB). I suspect the expectations were laid out pretty clear.

8timechamps
7/3/2014, 09:54 PM
Tough question. Of course, none of the current receivers came in with close to the expectation of DGB. And outside Shepard, there is the inexperience factor too. Accepting DGB makes a lot of sense if he can play this fall. It seems much more questionable on the surface if he has to sit out (IMO, of course). I think the biggest risk is the impact on the morale of current players competing for playing time. This just seems different than a guy like Saunders coming in or a freshman phenom being recruited and starting. This isn't a guy that did it the right way.

I've thought about the player (WR) reaction too. I wonder if there was a meeting between Stoops and the team leadership? I've got my feelers out to try and find out the scoop on that.

My other thought (on this issue) was "this is OU", nobody is guaranteed playing time and you have to come in knowing that OU will continue to recruit excellent talent at your position. Of course this is a horse of a different color. So, there could be some feelings hurt.

ouwasp
7/3/2014, 11:06 PM
Good food for thought by Boulder, 8time, and others. As for being a fly on the wall, it would have been interesting to hear Joe C and Bob first discuss DGB's situation...wonder if Boren was consulted?

I certainly have no inside source. But my perception has been the 2014 Sooner team wants to get back on top...as a team. Now the question is does that desire go beyond lip service? Will the members of the receiver corps that will see their playing time reduced be able to handle the ego shot coming their way?

BoulderSooner79
7/3/2014, 11:41 PM
Good food for thought by Boulder, 8time, and others. As for being a fly on the wall, it would have been interesting to hear Joe C and Bob first discuss DGB's situation...wonder if Boren was consulted?

I certainly have no inside source. But my perception has been the 2014 Sooner team wants to get back on top...as a team. Now the question is does that desire go beyond lip service? Will the members of the receiver corps that will see their playing time reduced be able to handle the ego shot coming their way?

That's why I thought it made sense if DGB got that (unlikely) exemption to play this season. None of the current WRs have earned a starting spot this year and would have to compete as expected. If DGB sits one year, then he would be displacing a guy that earned the job and has a year of experience under his belt. After that, he bolts to the NFL costing that other guy a critical year. I know it can happen this way at any big time program, but with a guy that got booted from another team, it just seems different. But I'm just a fan, maybe to a player it doesn't matter and competition is just competition regardless of the circumstances.

Eielson
7/3/2014, 11:44 PM
Regardless of if he ever plays, he's going to be torching our CBs every day in practice. Hopefully that makes them better. Can't promise that, but I promise they won't be able to cover him.

Widescreen
7/4/2014, 12:15 AM
If he doesn't get a waiver, I've gotta think he will never play for us. In the next 9 months, he's going to have agents in his ear telling him it's time to get paid. If that happens, I don't see how this is much of a win for OU.

olevetonahill
7/4/2014, 12:21 AM
If he doesn't get a waiver, I've gotta think he will never play for us. In the next 9 months, he's going to have agents in his ear telling him it's time to get paid. If that happens, I don't see how this is much of a win for OU.

Like Eielson said If plays in Practice he May help the Other guys get better, Bout the only thing I can see.

ouflak
7/4/2014, 02:28 AM
I think this is a big mistake. But I sure do hope for all our sakes, especially his, that he proves my misgivings wrong.

picasso
7/4/2014, 07:20 AM
Regardless of if he ever plays, he's going to be torching our CBs every day in practice. Hopefully that makes them better. Can't promise that, but I promise they won't be able to cover him.

Good point!

vtsooner21
7/4/2014, 09:56 AM
So many differing views of this "situation" Many are very content with knowing that the short leash aspect will definitely be in play here. Some so-called experts are livid that he was cut from Mizzou, and still has been given an opportunity to play at a Division 1 University. But in the same breath these Talking Heads have expressed that they would "condone" a D-2 school giving him a chance. Hmmmm.... Time will determine what direction DGB takes and what effect it has on the team as a whole. It will be interesting to watch this play out..

Boomer

Eielson
7/4/2014, 10:20 AM
Many are very content with knowing that the short leash aspect will definitely be in play here.

That's my opinion. I don't care what they did before they got here. All I care about is what they do while they're here. If he makes a mistake while he's here, that will be his only one. I don't see this making us look bad in the long run. If he makes a mistake, he gets kicked off, and everybody sees that we won't put up with it, either. If he doesn't get in any trouble, then everybody will see that we were right to give him a second chance. The only way I see this going bad is if he continues to get arrested and we don't kick him out. That seems unlikely to me.

Some so-called experts are livid that he was cut from Mizzou, and still has been given an opportunity to play at a Division 1 University.

The guy didn't kill or rape anybody. He deserves a second chance somewhere. From what it appears, Mizzou can make him sit out at least a year if they wish, and that's a pretty big punishment. It also appears that Mizzou may be working with us to allow him the chance to play this year.

Sooner70
7/4/2014, 11:17 AM
Agree with cvsooner's comments. Also, didn't know why we'd go for him until I read the recruiting tie per 8timechampion's post. Makes sense now.

I think OU has a pretty agressive program on reclaiming players, and Stoops as been known to forgive if they walk the line....Dusty Dvoracek's case comes to immediate mind. This guy was at the height of his career & got put in Bob's doghouse, but made it out & did what was right.

On the other hand, would agree he's on a very short leash. An educated guess is that with one miscue, he's out, and he has to know that. You can bet there's a lot more to this story than we're seeing/hearing in the press.

Folks can aysay all they want, but agree with the "In Bob we Trust" sentiment. I believe Bob is firm and consistent with his players on discipline, but he does believe in second chances. However, if you squander you second change, you're gone.

BoulderSooner79
7/4/2014, 04:32 PM
The risk that he screws up again doesn't bother me; we all know Stoops won't hesitate to boot him. We would take a little criticism from other fans, but no big deal. The risk that worries me is strictly how it impacts the morale of the other players whether he screws up or not. If team chemistry takes a hit, the negative impact could last a couple of seasons.

SoonerorLater
7/4/2014, 05:24 PM

I've thought about the player (WR) reaction too. I wonder if there was a meeting between Stoops and the team leadership? I've got my feelers out to try and find out the scoop on that.

My other thought (on this issue) was "this is OU", nobody is guaranteed playing time and you have to come in knowing that OU will continue to recruit excellent talent at your position. Of course this is a horse of a different color. So, there could be some feelings hurt.

No, he for sure didn't do it the right way and if he ends up playing at OU there will definitely be some unhappy WR's. Can't say I really blame them. Something about this just seems inherently unfair. You do the wrong things, the same kind of things Stoops and staff have almost certainly admonished their team about, get kicked off your team and come in and move to the front of the line.

8timechamps
7/4/2014, 07:23 PM

That's the big question, how will the other WR's take this?

Sterling Shepard's time isn't going to be affected, so let's take him out of the discussion.

Durron Neal would certainly be affected, but Neal knows (and is friends) with DGB. It's possible he's happy enough to have him in Norman, that he views it as "with you on one side, and me on the other, we can win it all". Either way, I don't think Neal will be upset about his buddy joining the team.

That leaves the guys that were candidates for playing time this year (if DGB gets cleared). Those are the guys I'm interested in hearing from, but given Stoops philosophy, I'm sure we'll never really know. And that's probably how it should be.

Here's a question I'll pose to everyone/anyone that isn't sure about this, or thinks it's a mistake:

If DGB is cleared, and OU wins the National Title this year (and DGB plays a significant role), will you still think this is a mistake/bad idea?

Wishboned
7/4/2014, 09:02 PM
If DGB is cleared, and OU wins the National Title this year (and DGB plays a significant role), will you still think this is a mistake/bad idea?

If DGB stays out of trouble I'll change my opinion regardless of whether we win the title or not.

BoulderSooner79
7/4/2014, 09:13 PM
Here's a question I'll pose to everyone/anyone that isn't sure about this, or thinks it's a mistake:

I think that falls under the "winning cures all ailments" theorem. It's also the big reward in the risk/reward equation. So even if it means a couple of good players transfer out or it cost a couple of games down the road, it's hard to argue with the value of a national title. I mean, Bob's been milking just one of those babies for 15 years.

Widescreen
7/4/2014, 10:33 PM
That was fast.

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q664/kmcnamara/DGB_zps3a759e7e.jpg

SoonerMarkVA
7/4/2014, 11:16 PM
That was fast.

Attachment's no good. Can you try to fix it, or otherwise put the gist of the information?

picasso
7/5/2014, 01:32 AM
No, he for sure didn't do it the right way and if he ends up playing at OU there will definitely be some unhappy WR's. Can't say I really blame them. Something about this just seems inherently unfair. You do the wrong things, the same kind of things Stoops and staff have almost certainly admonished their team about, get kicked off your team and come in and move to the front of the line.
How exactly has he moved to the front of the line?

Eielson
7/5/2014, 03:44 AM
You've got to earn your spot if you want to play at OU. Our receivers will have every opportunity to beat out DGB, and if they don't do it, I won't feel bad for them. Besides that, we use several WR's. Justin Brown didn't keep Saunders, Stills, or Shepard off the field. The guys that earn it will be out there.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/5/2014, 09:25 AM
To be fair, if I went to MO, I'd probably smoke reefer too.

BoulderSooner79
7/5/2014, 09:53 AM
You've got to earn your spot if you want to play at OU. Our receivers will have every opportunity to beat out DGB, and if they don't do it, I won't feel bad for them. Besides that, we use several WR's. Justin Brown didn't keep Saunders, Stills, or Shepard off the field. The guys that earn it will be out there.

I disagree. OU has established a higher standard than just competition - in every elite program the competition for playing time is extremely high. I would disown OU as my favorite team if it degraded to accepting guys like Maurice Clarett or Lawrence Phillips in order to win and then watch them march off to prison a year later.

SoonerorLater
7/5/2014, 12:22 PM
How exactly has he moved to the front of the line?

Using my psychic skills and my Sherlock Holmes abilities of detection, I would say there is one reason and one reason only that DGB would be allowed to join the OU Football team given the multiple infractions he committed at Missouri. That reason is he is a big time, NFL first round caliber talent. If and when he is cleared to play he will start at one of the WR slots ahead of guys who presumably have abided by the rules. He wasn't added to just fill depth on the receiver chart. Somebody will get bumped out of a starting position because of him. I know a lot of people will be OK with that. It just rubs me the wrong way that anybody can prosper by breaking the rules.

Widescreen
7/5/2014, 01:45 PM
It just rubs me the wrong way that anybody can prosper by breaking the rules.

Look at our southern border. That's the way things work in America these days.

picasso
7/5/2014, 02:54 PM
Using my psychic skills and my Sherlock Holmes abilities of detection, I would say there is one reason and one reason only that DGB would be allowed to join the OU Football team given the multiple infractions he committed at Missouri. That reason is he is a big time, NFL first round caliber talent. If and when he is cleared to play he will start at one of the WR slots ahead of guys who presumably have abided by the rules. He wasn't added to just fill depth on the receiver chart. Somebody will get bumped out of a starting position because of him. I know a lot of people will be OK with that. It just rubs me the wrong way that anybody can prosper by breaking the rules.
We'll see. How many players did Jalen Saunders run off?

BoulderSooner79
7/5/2014, 03:39 PM

That's already been covered. Competition is always present whether it's a player transferring in or JUCOs or freshman; it's always expected. I chose Maurice Clarett and Lawrence Phillips as bad examples on purpose. They both were big factors on national title teams and both tarnished their respective universities. And I left out the biggest offender of all: Aaron Hernandez was a key player for the Gators (against us, grrrh) and a violent psychopath. It's been reported that Meyer and UF swept some of his violent encounters under the rug as early as his freshman year. Had he been punished early, 3 murders (at least) may not have happened. Of course, it was hard to tarnish the UF program, so maybe not a good example. I'm not implying DBG will do something like that, but if he does things similar to what he did at Mizzou, it's not worth having him even if it results in a national title (IMO, of course).

picasso
7/5/2014, 03:49 PM
I wasn't addressing you Boulder. I'm also not ready to crown DGB a Lawrence Phillips. Not only was he a convict, he was also illiterate and it's highly doubtful he did any of his schoolwork.
My point was that Saunders played right away, once eligible. It was obvious why right?

BoulderSooner79
7/5/2014, 04:12 PM
I wasn't addressing you Boulder. I'm also not ready to crown DGB a Lawrence Phillips. Not only was he a convict, he was also illiterate and it's highly doubtful he did any of his schoolwork.
My point was that Saunders played right away, once eligible. It was obvious why right?

Sure. I'm just saying Saunders did things the right way and that's just part of normal competition at an elite program like OU. The DGB situation is different. I'm fully on board with the fact that Stoops has more than earned the right to make a call like this, but there is certainly risk.

I'm also addressing 8time's question about DGB being pivotal in winning a national title and if that makes it the correct call. I'll say probably, but not if he earns an orange jumpsuit for behavior that happened during his time at OU or shortly thereafter. Osborne and Meyer *knew* that Phillips and Hernandez were violent people while they were playing for their respective schools. I trust Stoops to be better than that.

Eielson
7/5/2014, 04:55 PM
I disagree. OU has established a higher standard than just competition - in every elite program the competition for playing time is extremely high. I would disown OU as my favorite team if it degraded to accepting guys like Maurice Clarett or Lawrence Phillips in order to win and then watch them march off to prison a year later.

Are you saying you disagree with my overall stance, or the post you quoted? In the post you quoted I was simply saying that DGB will have to earn his spot in the lineup just like anybody else. The players who don't see the field didn't earn it, and thus I won't feel bad for them, even if it is DGB who "took" their spot. You disagree with that?

My overall stance is that I'm forgiving of past offenses as long as it isn't related to rape, murder, or gangs. If they previously did something, such as stealing gas, I'd have to meet with them and talk to people who know him personally to determine if it's going to be a recurring thing. If you're committing crimes while on campus, I'd be much less forgiving. If I were Jimbo Fisher, Winston would probably be gone. If we take on people with histories and help them clean up their act (even if it's only a little), I have no issue with that. DGB is clearly on a short leash, and if he steps out of line he'll meet the same fate that Jarboe did. I think the Jarboe situation helped us more than it hurt us, because we set an example out of him.

Eielson
7/5/2014, 05:09 PM
That's already been covered. Competition is always present whether it's a player transferring in or JUCOs or freshman; it's always expected. I chose Maurice Clarett and Lawrence Phillips as bad examples on purpose. They both were big factors on national title teams and both tarnished their respective universities. And I left out the biggest offender of all: Aaron Hernandez was a key player for the Gators (against us, grrrh) and a violent psychopath. It's been reported that Meyer and UF swept some of his violent encounters under the rug as early as his freshman year. Had he been punished early, 3 murders (at least) may not have happened. Of course, it was hard to tarnish the UF program, so maybe not a good example. I'm not implying DBG will do something like that, but if he does things similar to what he did at Mizzou, it's not worth having him even if it results in a national title (IMO, of course).

I agree with most of this post. There are certain players we should stay away from, even if it costs us a national championship. As I said in the previous, I would avoid people with histories of rape, murder, or gangs. And by murder, I'm including things such as major violence (especially if gang related, and not so much pushing somebody while drunk) and things like bringing guns to school. I'm also adamantly against sweeping things under the rug while they're here. Hernandez should have been kicked off the team.

In the end, winning is the only primary goal for me, and I don't let secondary goals interfere with primary goals. People like Aaron Hernandez do enough damage to the reputation of the school, that they do interfere with primary goals, so avoiding things like that is important. Bringing somebody on with a history of weed, theft, or alcohol is different for me, though. Put them on a short leash and don't be afraid to kick them off if they step out of line. It's also important to only take on a few at a time, and to keep a close eye on them.

SoonerorLater
7/5/2014, 05:47 PM

I would say Saunders and DGB are two different cases. Saunders left Fresno of his own accord and was never involved in anything that would have resulted in him being dismissed from his previous team. (as far as I know). He played by the rules of his team and the NCAA. What would other OU players have to complain about with Saunders joining the team other than more competition?

DGB was involved in two separate marijuana arrests and an assault / unlawful entry investigation which resulted in him being dismissed from his former team. If any of the players at OU would have committed the same offenses I'm pretty sure Bob Stoops would have sent them packing too. Ask Trey Metoyer. Stoops kicked him off after only one (although unsavory) incident of indecent exposure.

I'm just trying to see consistency and it isn't obvious.

BoulderSooner79
7/5/2014, 06:28 PM
Are you saying you disagree with my overall stance, or the post you quoted? In the post you quoted I was simply saying that DGB will have to earn his spot in the lineup just like anybody else. The players who don't see the field didn't earn it, and thus I won't feel bad for them, even if it is DGB who "took" their spot. You disagree with that?

I'm saying winning the starting position is not sufficient. It must be accompanied by acceptable behavior; at OU at least. That applies to all players, but this is a very unique situation in the Stoops era. The first weed incident is no big deal. The second one was possession of a pound - that would have gotten him booted at OU immediately. So he is getting another chance at OU for something no current OU player would get. I don't want to overstate this - I trust that Stoops has reasons to think this will turn out well. But I also understand the reason this transfer is generating so much discussion - it is warranted.

8timechamps
7/5/2014, 08:00 PM
If DGB stays out of trouble I'll change my opinion regardless of whether we win the title or not.

Yeah, that's where I stand on the issue too. By staying out of trouble, he's earn my support, regardless of what he does or doesn't do on the field. That really doesn't seem like much to ask from the kid, but it hasn't been easy for him to do thus far.

8timechamps
7/5/2014, 08:01 PM
I think that falls under the "winning cures all ailments" theorem. It's also the big reward in the risk/reward equation. So even if it means a couple of good players transfer out or it cost a couple of games down the road, it's hard to argue with the value of a national title. I mean, Bob's been milking just one of those babies for 15 years.

I figure those completely against it would come around with a national title. I was just curious what the folks that are 100% against it think.

8timechamps
7/5/2014, 08:06 PM

What you're saying is true, and I'm sure the WR will have every chance to earn time over DGB. Given what I know of his talent, and what he was starting to show at Mizzou, I don't think there is a receiver on the roster that could beat him out (if he were to be cleared to play this year), so in that sense, it could take care of itself. Most competitors can accept demotion if the person ahead of them is clearly better. In this case, it wouldn't really even be a demotion since nobody has really taken the reigns at the position (other than Shep, who's position isn't in jeopardy).

picasso
7/5/2014, 08:30 PM
I would say Saunders and DGB are two different cases. Saunders left Fresno of his own accord and was never involved in anything that would have resulted in him being dismissed from his previous team. (as far as I know). He played by the rules of his team and the NCAA. What would other OU players have to complain about with Saunders joining the team other than more competition?

DGB was involved in two separate marijuana arrests and an assault / unlawful entry investigation which resulted in him being dismissed from his former team. If any of the players at OU would have committed the same offenses I'm pretty sure Bob Stoops would have sent them packing too. Ask Trey Metoyer. Stoops kicked him off after only one (although unsavory) incident of indecent exposure.

Aren't you kind of jumping the gun here? The kid has an entire school year to clean up and prove himself.

SoonerLB
7/5/2014, 11:08 PM
I'm betting Bob has "entire school year to clean up and prove himself" at the very top of the list. If he can't be an absolute asset to the team then I say the team doesn't need him. And if he doesn't get his life straightened out, the NFL isn't going to want him either. He can watch the Josh Gordon case for reference.

SouthFortySooner
7/6/2014, 09:41 AM
In my limited time of competitive sports, (football state championship), I feel teams just know when someone is better than their current competition for the spot. If the person being beat out by DGB and the TEAM know it, TEAM wins every time. If he doesn't then he is an INDIVIDUAL talent, ie; prima donna!

okiewaker
7/6/2014, 06:42 PM
I'm mehhh on this DGB deal. I hope he gets his crap together though. Anywhoo,....

bluedogok
7/6/2014, 10:32 PM
They also use more than a starting contingent of receivers, they rotate a lot of guys in and out (when healthy). Even if he beats someone out at the starting position it isn't like that person is buried on the bench.

Sooner in Tampa
7/7/2014, 06:46 AM
I will take a wait and see attitude with this entire situation. I don't think any of us doubt DGB's talent level. The biggest question is: Can he get his **** together off the field and learn how to be a star football player while still being a productive member to society?

Bob has turned other players around...Lynn McGruder is the first one that comes to mind. If DGB comes in here and plays well, graduates, and is then a good citizen...isn't that all that really matters? National Championships are great, but won't/can't there be more satisfaction knowing that you took a young man who had his head up his azz and you fixed him...for the rest of his life??

Listen, I understand that OU ain't Boys Town...and DGB wouldn't be here if he didn't have an immense amount of talent...Bob would not be taking this risk for a part time player, but the fact is that the Sooners are taking a chance on this kid...and I hope it works out for all parties concerned.

And let's be honest with ourselves...if OSWho or any other school did the same thing...we would making fun of them incessantly.

SoonerMarkVA
7/7/2014, 07:03 AM
And let's be honest with ourselves...if OSWho or any other school did the same thing...we would making fun of them incessantly.

Well, yeah. They take on guys with bad character in the hopes they can squeeze a few wins out of them before they move on. Stoops, as you've noted, takes on guys and makes them better people or he cuts them loose quickly. I have to think Stoops feels like he knows something about DGB and his family from the recruiting process that just isn't obvious to outsiders. Comparing this situation between Stoops and Li'l Ag is like comparing apples and oranges, as it were.

Edit: My "they" is just referring to OSU. I think each different team otherwise would be judged according to their history in such situations.

cherokeebrewer
7/7/2014, 08:27 AM
I have to think Stoops feels like he knows something about DGB and his family from the recruiting process that just isn't obvious to outsiders.

I have mixed emotions about taking DGB, but agree completely with your statement here...

jkjsooner
7/7/2014, 08:48 AM

Not sure what I think about taking DGB. That being said I don't think there is any inconsistency or hypocrisy here.

When Stoops has sent players on their way, I would bet anything he wished them the best and in most cases helped the kid find a new home. Sometimes being kicked off the team is the jolt a kid needs to understand the gravity of the situation. Sometimes that means you have no choice but to kick a guy off your team and on the flip side you can take a guy who has been kicked off another team.

KantoSooner
7/7/2014, 09:34 AM
I do not know anything, of course. I'm not one of Bob's intimate friends. But I suspect that you've got it about right JK. Neither Stoops nor Pinkel could have kept the kid on the team....but both would likely be willing to work with him to find a new football home if they believed he could be salvaged as a person. What will be telling to me is whether we see more than pro forma best wishes from Mizzou. If they cooperate in his waiver application, it will go far to convince me that we're dealing with a bonehead (or perhaps just a very immature young man) rather than someone without moral compass.

Time will tell.

EatLeadCommie
7/7/2014, 07:02 PM
I doubt he will ever play for OU. He will try to behave for a year and then go pro. He won't get a waiver.

Then when he goes to the NFL, we can all take bets on whether he claims Mizzou, OU, or his HS as the place where he played football.

Mazeppa
7/7/2014, 08:43 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24609887/green-beckham-transfer-to-oklahoma-makes-one-wonder----about-oklahoma

8timechamps
7/7/2014, 10:45 PM
I will take a wait and see attitude with this entire situation. I don't think any of us doubt DGB's talent level. The biggest question is: Can he get his **** together off the field and learn how to be a star football player while still being a productive member to society?

Bob has turned other players around...Lynn McGruder is the first one that comes to mind. If DGB comes in here and plays well, graduates, and is then a good citizen...isn't that all that really matters? National Championships are great, but won't/can't there be more satisfaction knowing that you took a young man who had his head up his azz and you fixed him...for the rest of his life??

Listen, I understand that OU ain't Boys Town...and DGB wouldn't be here if he didn't have an immense amount of talent...Bob would not be taking this risk for a part time player, but the fact is that the Sooners are taking a chance on this kid...and I hope it works out for all parties concerned.

I really do think Stoops looks at things this way. I know he's all about winning, but he develops real relationships with these kids and I'm sure he feels some responsibility. As a fan, I always hate to hear about kids messing up (even guys that have played in the past that do something dumb down the line), but if I'm being completely honest, I'm more interested in what they can do to help us win.

As far as us making fun of any other school that would have brought him in, you're right. I would have been all over OSU or Texas had they done this. But, that's what message boards are for :)

8timechamps
7/7/2014, 10:47 PM
I do not know anything, of course. I'm not one of Bob's intimate friends. But I suspect that you've got it about right JK. Neither Stoops nor Pinkel could have kept the kid on the team....but both would likely be willing to work with him to find a new football home if they believed he could be salvaged as a person. What will be telling to me is whether we see more than pro forma best wishes from Mizzou. If they cooperate in his waiver application, it will go far to convince me that we're dealing with a bonehead (or perhaps just a very immature young man) rather than someone without moral compass.

Time will tell.

I think there has already been some assistance from the Mizzou staff. It sounds like they are willing to do whatever they can to help with his waiver. I think Pinkel was just in one of those situations where he only had one option, and he took it. I'm sure he's hoping DGB will get things turned around.

SoonerPride
7/8/2014, 03:46 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11191184/two-miami-hurricanes-players-arrested-sex-charges

And this is why taking on DGB can bring with it a dark cloud.

When Two Miami Hurricanes get kicked off the team for sexually assaulting a teenager, this is the first and top comment.

Looks like the Sooners just landed 2 more players.
Gary D Antley · Top Commenter · Programmer\Analyst\Network Support at Angelina County IT Department
Reply · Like · 202 · Follow Post · 3 hours ago

Sure, who cares what some tool on the net thinks? But the perception that our program now takes hoodlums and rapists isn't something I relish.

KantoSooner
7/8/2014, 04:06 PM
Again, I don't know anything about the facts in this case, but let's play an alternative scenario. A kid from a marginal background, bright lights, not grounded choice of 'friends' many of whom are from his former life and are hanging on for reflected glory. Very poor decision making. Not great discipline or 'control' by Pinkel and staff.
You get to an unrecoverable situation.
But all involved know that that's not this kid.
So, what do you do? Do you turn your back and let him learn, or not, on his own? Justifiable. In my view, you can also justify taking another shot with him. Is a lot of that motivated by what he could/can do for you on Saturday afternoons in the fall. Damn right it is. And that's why he gets a schollie along with that second shot. But the basic point is that he's at an age where I think you have to give Stoops, in this case, or another adult who knows the kid in the case of every other eff'd up kid in this country, the benefit of the doubt.

It's not guaranteed to work out, but even for a guy who's of an age where he should have known better, I'll leave it up to the guy running the program.

Oh, and the day I start doing anything more with county office network support people than expending them and then replacing them like used toilet paper will be a long, long time from now.

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2014, 04:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11191184/two-miami-hurricanes-players-arrested-sex-charges

When Two Miami Hurricanes get kicked off the team for sexually assaulting a teenager, this is the first and top comment.

Gary D Antley · Top Commenter · Programmer\Analyst\Network Support at Angelina County IT Department

Sure, who cares what some tool on the net thinks? But the perception that our program now takes hoodlums and rapists isn't something I relish.

I only care about what some tool on the net thinks if he is right. We'll see in a year or 2.

swardboy
7/8/2014, 05:08 PM
A general view of other message boards shows some fans giving us grief for taking in DGB, but there was plenty of "straight up we'd do it too if given the opportunity".

picasso
7/8/2014, 06:35 PM
What's the big deal? He has to wait a year.

A lot can happen good or bad before he ever plays.

8timechamps
7/8/2014, 08:43 PM
What's the big deal? He has to wait a year.

A lot can happen good or bad before he ever plays.

Not necessarily. OU has petitioned the NCAA (with Mizzou's help) to get a waiver. Apparently, there is an obscure NCAA rule (aren't they all?!) that allows waivers for players that are kicked off of teams and lose their scholarships. It's sounds crazy, I know, but it's real.

That said, there's no way to know if the NCAA will grant the waiver, but you never know.

8timechamps
7/8/2014, 08:46 PM
The more I've thought about this whole thing, the less risk I see on Stoops/OU's part.

If he does mess up again, he's gone. Other than the media saying "I told you so", what's the harm? We've gotten rid of players in the past, and I'm sure it'll happen again. It happens at every school, and it's never been a reason a recruit chose a school (or didn't choose a school). On the other hand, if it works out, we have a stud WR.

Widescreen
7/8/2014, 11:38 PM
The more I've thought about this whole thing, the less risk I see on Stoops/OU's part.

If he does mess up again, he's gone. Other than the media saying "I told you so", what's the harm? We've gotten rid of players in the past, and I'm sure it'll happen again. It happens at every school, and it's never been a reason a recruit chose a school (or didn't choose a school). On the other hand, if it works out, we have a stud WR.

Depends on what he does. If he smokes a joint, no big deal - he just gets the boot. If he beats up a girl or something, that would be very bad.

KantoSooner
7/9/2014, 08:16 AM
Depends on what he does. If he smokes a joint, no big deal - he just gets the boot. If he beats up a girl or something, that would be very bad.

If he beats up a girl, he would have done so whether or not he came to OU. Morons will blame Stoops for associating with him, in essence; but the decision to take a chance on him will have nothing to do with that outcome. Being part of a program and having both a future and a pretty intense support/control network around him, however, might well prevent him from heading off down the idiot trail again. I'm with 8TC on this one, the more I think about it, the less risk I see.

picasso
7/9/2014, 08:41 AM
Not necessarily. OU has petitioned the NCAA (with Mizzou's help) to get a waiver. Apparently, there is an obscure NCAA rule (aren't they all?!) that allows waivers for players that are kicked off of teams and lose their scholarships. It's sounds crazy, I know, but it's real.

That said, there's no way to know if the NCAA will grant the waiver, but you never know.
Yeah yeah but when is the last time a ruling like that went in our favor?

badger
7/9/2014, 08:55 AM

If I'm not mistaken, that waiver is in place if the athlete's scholarship has been taken away beyond the athlete's control. I am not sure how DGB could argue that drug violations and alleged assault was beyond his control... but that's for the NCAA to decide I guess. It has been argued that addiction is a disability, so with drug counseling and rehab, that could be done away with... but the hitting girls thing? About the only defense there is that no charges were filed.

KantoSooner
7/9/2014, 09:26 AM
I think it depends whether Mizzou staff decide to plead his case to the NCAA. Why? Because the NCAA could choose to follow common sense, reason and logic and tell him to live with at least this small dose of his own actions. Or, they could choose to be hyper-technical/legalistic about things and concentrate on the clean drug tests....oooooooh it wasn't HIS weed and pretend that, since no charges were filed, the domestic altercation never happened.

My suspicion is that whatever comes about in the next months, barring another stroll down the path of dumbassery on DGB's part, has already been scripted by Pinkel and Stoops and approved by Joe C and Boren and not unlikely, by the NCAA as well.

Don't forget: the NCAA has skin in this game, too. Megatron style receivers put butts in seats to watch games. OU is as good a bet as any to go to the first playoff. What a nice little Cinderella story! And all it takes is a little nudge to help it along the birth canal.

swardboy
7/9/2014, 09:33 AM
CONSPIRACY!

cherokeebrewer
7/9/2014, 09:45 AM
I've read so many different versions of DGB's transgressions, I don't know what to believe. Some opposing fans are calling him a "woman beater"...Is this true? Did he really beat a woman? Did he really push a girl down 4 flights of stairs?...Can someone detail what really happened for me?...

KantoSooner
7/9/2014, 10:15 AM
What I understand is that he 'forced' his way into his GF's apartment and shoved her room mate making her trip down some set of three or four steps leading from one room to another (like a sunken living room, I'm guessing). Or at least that seems to be what the police report recorded as the victim's statement. Said victim has now refused to press charges, so, legally, the entire event is getting close to having never happened.

Does that change or excuse anything? Not really. But some real life distinction can be drawn between this and, say, Birdine's belt buckle whipping, temporary blindness inducing beating of his GF.

badger
7/9/2014, 10:31 AM
I've read so many different versions of DGB's transgressions, I don't know what to believe. Some opposing fans are calling him a "woman beater"...Is this true? Did he really beat a woman? Did he really push a girl down 4 flights of stairs?...Can someone detail what really happened for me?...

Read here for more details on that. (http://www.komu.com/news/text-messages-shed-light-on-dgb-burglary-assault-allegations-55423/)

I think it depends whether Mizzou staff decide to plead his case to the NCAA.

Don't forget: the NCAA has skin in this game, too.

Mizzou is SEC now, so it may help them to tell future recruits that they look out for them before during and after their time at MU. As for the NCAA, they are quickly losing control of the top tier football programs and this could be an olive branch decision. We'll be more lenient from now on, so please don't secede to some other governing body

jkjsooner
7/9/2014, 10:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that waiver is in place if the athlete's scholarship has been taken away beyond the athlete's control. I am not sure how DGB could argue that drug violations and alleged assault was beyond his control... but that's for the NCAA to decide I guess. It has been argued that addiction is a disability, so with drug counseling and rehab, that could be done away with... but the hitting girls thing? About the only defense there is that no charges were filed.

The argument I've heard is that since DGB was never charged/convicted of a crime then the NCAA could view this situation as out of his control - at least from a technical perspective. I wouldn't hold my breath on it though.

KantoSooner
7/9/2014, 11:04 AM
exactly. No telling what they might do. But it is not insane to think he might play this year. We live in an interesting world.

cherokeebrewer
7/9/2014, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=badger;4674535]Read here for more details on that. (http://www.komu.com/news/text-messages-shed-light-on-dgb-burglary-assault-allegations-55423/)

Thanks...Some obvious violence happened and that 'can' become a permanent character flaw if not reigned in early in life. Let's hope the new environment and some good counseling can help him find the right road to travel. I keep reading that he's not a bad kid, if so he has another chance to prove it to be true.

jkjsooner
7/9/2014, 01:01 PM
If he beats up a girl, he would have done so whether or not he came to OU.

That may be true but that line of argument isn't going to go far to the family of a loved if something happened to them.

Forgetting the football aspect aside, if I brought a troubled kid into my neighborhood and he caused a problem, there are going to be plenty of people upset with me. They're not going to comforted by the fact that whatever crime that was committed would have happened elsewhere. They're going to argue that without my intervention it would have been somewhere else rather than in their neighborhood.

Edit: This is a completely hypothetical argument and it goes well beyond DGB. I hope nobody implies that I'm saying anything specific about him or predicting any problems.

KantoSooner
7/9/2014, 01:43 PM
Although I don't know the man personally, I feel pretty confident that Bob Stoops would not knowingly place anyone at unreasonable risk. (It could be argued that ALL football players are more than 'normally' violent and thus that having a football team is an act of accumulating violent young men. It would be an asinine argument, but it could be made.)

The whole 'zero tolerance' position attempting to mandate absolute risk mitigation is, to me, childish. There's risk in being alive. From what I've seen, I'll trust Bob's judgment. And, even if this one goes south on him....I'll still trust his judgment on the grounds that nobody is 100%. But you're entitled to your take on the matter.

8timechamps
7/9/2014, 02:48 PM
Yeah yeah but when is the last time a ruling like that went in our favor?

I don't know if we've ever petitioned the NCAA on this issue, but the most recent NCAA ruling on a waiver that went our favor was Jalen Saunders.

I don't even pretend to know which way the NCAA will go on this one. There are things that work in OU's favor (if the reports are true that the Mizzou staff is working with OU to help get the waiver, then I would think that would go a long way in helping. Combined with the current environment surrounding the NCAA, they may want to put the student-athlete first as a symbolic gesture they aren't about just making money). However, things that seemed like easy rulings in the past have gone different ways, so who knows?

Widescreen
7/9/2014, 03:59 PM
If he beats up a girl, he would have done so whether or not he came to OU. Morons will blame Stoops for associating with him, in essence;

That's exactly my point. If he does something truly bad, it will absolutely be a (relatively) permanent black eye on Stoops and our program. And if I was the father of the girl that got hurt, I would be breathing fire (and I think rightfully so).

Here's hoping he keeps his nose clean for 2 years (or however long he stays).

KantoSooner
7/9/2014, 04:01 PM
The only way to be perfectly safe is to be dead.

BoulderSooner79
7/9/2014, 04:05 PM
The only way to be perfectly safe is to be dead.

Not in the coming zombie apocalypse.

KantoSooner
7/9/2014, 04:09 PM
Don't you have to be infected pre-mortem? I could be wrong, I'm not up on things zombie.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/10/2014, 01:07 PM
A general view of other message boards shows some fans giving us grief for taking in DGB, but there was plenty of "straight up we'd do it too if given the opportunity".

There are other message boards?

badger
7/10/2014, 01:14 PM
I find it interesting what warrants a second chance in some cases compared to other cases where it seems like the first bad thing we hear about calls for kicking them out. I believe J.D Quinn said months after getting sent to Montana, "All I did was take cash."

But I'm not questioning it, as there is so much, even in the twitter/Google Glass era, that we don't hear about behind the scenes.

picasso
7/10/2014, 01:18 PM
It sounds like Stoops and staff have a good relationship with the player and his family. Maybe, they think they can both benefit from this deal with hard work, etc..

Crazy thought huh?

badger
7/10/2014, 01:37 PM
It sounds like Stoops and staff have a good relationship with the player and his family. Maybe, they think they can both benefit from this deal with hard work, etc.

yeah that's the gist that's been coming out the past week or so. this must be the longest offseason ever. must be the playoff factor

SoonerPride
7/10/2014, 01:44 PM
I find it interesting what warrants a second chance in some cases compared to other cases where it seems like the first bad thing we hear about calls for kicking them out. I believe J.D Quinn said months after getting sent to Montana, "All I did was take cash."

But I'm not questioning it, as there is so much, even in the twitter/Google Glass era, that we don't hear about behind the scenes.

Perhaps there is a view that certain infractions (NCAA vs local police) merit different responses.

If you get in trouble with the cops you are screwing up YOUR life and future.

If you get in trouble with the NCAA you are screwing up the entire TEAM'S life and future as well as your own.

Then with regards to police trouble, I'm sure it is all depending upon the charges filed (if any) and the severity of the violation.

badger
7/10/2014, 01:53 PM

If you get in trouble with the NCAA you are screwing up the entire TEAM'S life and future as well as your own.

I didn't think about it like that, but you're right. We temporarily got the entire 2005 season's wins vacated (thanks for petitioning, President Boren!) thanks to the actions of two players.

It also makes sense from an enforcement standpoint --- coaches are required to enforce NCAA rules, not the rules police enforce.

BoulderSooner79
7/10/2014, 02:53 PM
Perhaps there is a view that certain infractions (NCAA vs local police) merit different responses.

Then with regards to police trouble, I'm sure it is all depending upon the charges filed (if any) and the severity of the violation.

This exactly. It's kinda sad because it forces a coach to be an unrelenting hardass for infractions that could be very minor in nature or even a stupid rule in the first place. A coach can't afford to get slapped with probation and docked a few scholarships even if he know the offender is a good kid and would never repeat the offense. But if it's a DUI or slapping a chick around, a little suspension for first time offenders is punishment enough.

BTW Badger, why do you chicks insist on hanging around stairs or infuriating the players into assaults and hurting our chances for championships? I ask my wife this all the time and she won't give me a straight answer.

badger
7/10/2014, 03:34 PM
BTW Badger, why do you chicks insist on hanging around stairs or infuriating the players into assaults and hurting our chances for championships? I ask my wife this all the time and she won't give me a straight answer.

It's the closest we'll ever get to being on a big time college football team

BoulderSooner79
7/10/2014, 04:07 PM
It's the closest we'll ever get to being on a big time college football team

Finally, some clarification. Thanks, Badger!

;)

Jason White's Third Knee
7/11/2014, 11:28 AM
BTW Badger, why do you chicks insist on hanging around stairs or infuriating the players into assaults and hurting our chances for championships?

Badger is a chick?

DGB has been on the team for like a week. Has he shot anyone yet? I am not on twitter. TIA

BoulderSooner79
7/11/2014, 01:00 PM
Badger is a chick?

Don't know for sure, but she plays one on the internet and that's good enough for me.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/11/2014, 01:26 PM
Don't know for sure, but she plays one on the internet and that's good enough for me.

That makes sense. I do that too sometimes.

badger
7/11/2014, 01:48 PM

I wear the women's Sugar Bowl "Sooner Magic" shirt instead of the men's because I like the tighter fit.

8timechamps
7/11/2014, 06:29 PM
I wear the women's Sugar Bowl "Sooner Magic" shirt instead of the men's because I like the tighter fit.

Oh, and the whole baby thing. That kinda gives it away. :)

BoulderSooner79
7/11/2014, 07:24 PM
Oh, and the whole baby thing. That kinda gives it away. :)

Just an internet baby - anyone can claim one.

8timechamps
7/11/2014, 08:13 PM
Just an internet baby - anyone can claim one.

This made me laugh harder than it probably should have.

Eielson
7/12/2014, 06:58 PM

Does this mean you've had e-girlfriends?

picasso
7/12/2014, 07:06 PM
So with the addition of this guy we have some serious heighth at wr and te.
Ty Webb would like the measurements.

8timechamps
7/12/2014, 07:34 PM
So with the addition of this guy we have some serious heighth at wr and te.
Ty Webb would like the measurements.

I'm going to do a position-by-position breakdown soon, but here's the stats on few notable guys:

Dannon Cavil 6'4" 214 lbs
Dallis Todd 6'5" 204 lbs
Jeffery Mead 6'6" 184 lbs
Dorial Green-Beckham 6'6" 225 lbs
Mark Andrews 6'6" 236

Even if DGB doesn't get cleared to play this year, there will be some height in this group.

EatLeadCommie
7/12/2014, 07:39 PM
6'6" and 184 lbs? How is that even possible?

8timechamps
7/12/2014, 07:42 PM

My 19 year old son is 6'6" 190. Skinny.

Here's a pic of Mead (from his recruiting days):

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2013/0522/dm_130522_SoonerNation_Jeffery_Mead_Interview/dm_130522_SoonerNation_Jeffery_Mead_Interview.jpg

birddog
7/12/2014, 08:34 PM
I was 5'8 150 lbs. Went to Oklahoma Christian and got up to 165 and didn't lose any of my abilities. He'll develop over Time if he puts in the time

picasso
7/12/2014, 10:49 PM

I don't care if he's 150 if he can catch and block.

bluedogok
7/13/2014, 01:21 PM
Blocking could be a question mark at 184 unless it is a small corner.

8timechamps
7/13/2014, 05:05 PM
I'm sure he'll put weight on in the S&C program. He looks like he could support another 20lbs easy on his frame.

picasso
7/13/2014, 05:19 PM
Blocking could be a question mark at 184 unless it is a small corner.

Why so? Depends how tough he is. He's bigger than Jalen Saunders.

bluedogok
7/13/2014, 05:39 PM
Why so? Depends how tough he is. He's bigger than Jalen Saunders.
A compact, stout guy can typically block better than a bean pole, especially when blocking outside-in. I'm sure he will put on some weight and strength, they almost always do. I just wouldn't expect good blocking technique for a bean pole freshman, especially if they have him trying to block down on DE and LB. Most HS wide receivers aren't exactly known for their blocking prowess, in a couple of years he might develop into a good blocker.

Eielson
7/13/2014, 05:59 PM
The dude in pink isn't blocking anybody in college football. He's going to put on quite a bit of weight before he sees the field, though, so this argument is moot.

picasso
7/13/2014, 09:36 PM
He's 6'6", so I'm guessing he can shoulder pad hold a 195 lb corner for a least sec. Sometimes that's all you need.
We've had mooses at te that never blocked anybody. You never know is all I'm sayin'.

8timechamps
7/13/2014, 09:42 PM
The dude in pink isn't blocking anybody in college football. He's going to put on quite a bit of weight before he sees the field, though, so this argument is moot.

So, you're saying that Bob Pryzbylo (the other guy in the picture) could block in college football??!

birddog
7/13/2014, 09:45 PM
I'm Lovin all these tall receivers when u look at the talent in the slot and the horses in the backfield. I'm envisioning the mid 80s with the potential playmakers we could have at the skill positions

Eielson
7/14/2014, 07:41 AM
He's 6'6", so I'm guessing he can shoulder pad hold a 195 lb corner for a least sec. Sometimes that's all you need.
We've had mooses at te that never blocked anybody. You never know is all I'm sayin'.

Anybody can get in anybody's way, so there is some use in that. Opposing defenders will have their way with him, though. I have no doubts that he will/did put on 20 pounds within a couple months of being on campus.

Eielson
7/14/2014, 07:42 AM
So, you're saying that Bob Pryzbylo (the other guy in the picture) could block in college football??!

Maybe I was talking about #59???!

picasso
7/14/2014, 09:47 AM
I'm Lovin all these tall receivers when u look at the talent in the slot and the horses in the backfield. I'm envisioning the mid 80s with the potential playmakers we could have at the skill positions

These receivers remind you of Carl Cabiness? Winky.

badger
7/14/2014, 10:48 AM
I'm sure he'll put weight on in the S&C program. He looks like he could support another 20lbs easy on his frame.

Funny thing I heard about this, but it just might be an Internet rumor that I heard second-hand via my husband. Apparently he threw up on his first S&C day and remarked that they didn't work that hard at Mizzou.

Even if it's not true, lol

8timechamps
7/14/2014, 03:45 PM
Funny thing I heard about this, but it just might be an Internet rumor that I heard second-hand via my husband. Apparently he threw up on his first S&C day and remarked that they didn't work that hard at Mizzou.

Even if it's not true, lol

I heard the same thing. No way to know if it's true (unless he were to verify it), but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think he's been focused on being in football shape the past few months.

Eielson
7/14/2014, 05:03 PM
Does this mean you've had e-girlfriends?

Due to Boulder's silence, I'm just going to assume he has virtual girlfriends.

8timechamps
7/14/2014, 05:38 PM

And many internet babies!

BoulderSooner79
7/15/2014, 12:13 AM

And many internet babies!

Geez, give me a day off every once in a while.

Of course I have many virtual girlfriends pregnant with my internet babies. And boyfriends too that I can now legally marry in many states! But don't tell my real wife or she'll get mad and make me clean up the garage or something during football season.

KantoSooner
7/15/2014, 08:22 AM
...in response to which, you could demand that she make you a sammich.

BoulderSooner79
7/15/2014, 08:27 AM
...in response to which, you could demand that she make you a sammich.

Yes, I could do that, but I'd probably only get half a sammich because she would be leaving me and taking half of everything else I own.

KantoSooner
7/15/2014, 09:17 AM
But you'd still be ahead one half sammich.

BoulderSooner79
7/15/2014, 11:00 AM
But you'd still be ahead one half sammich.

True and I'd be free to marry one of my virtual boyfriends. Something to think about…

KantoSooner
7/15/2014, 11:16 AM
Always silver lining, my friend.

Always.

8timechamps
7/15/2014, 04:06 PM
That's why I shop here, everyone is always optimistic.

KantoSooner
7/15/2014, 04:50 PM
Cheerful.
Eager to please.

cherokeebrewer
7/16/2014, 02:20 PM
This thread has become a virtual lovefest...

BoulderSooner79
7/16/2014, 02:24 PM
Love thy virtual neighbor...

KantoSooner
7/16/2014, 02:27 PM
Is there a meaningful theological distinction between self-love and virtual love?

Discuss.

Aries
7/16/2014, 02:45 PM

This thread is worthless without virtual pictures.

badger
7/16/2014, 02:54 PM
I heard the same thing. No way to know if it's true (unless he were to verify it), but it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think he's been focused on being in football shape the past few months.

About the only one who reportedly could hang with Schmitty's workouts was Adrian Peterson and those reports have been confirmed by Stoops, that he could hold 70-pound dumbbells in each hand and still jump to the tallest plyometric box. The second we find another guy who can do Schmitty workouts upon first arrival on campus... don't let the Vikings or any other sh!tty NFL franchises draft him and pray there's no collarbone injuries during his Sooner stay

cvsooner
7/16/2014, 04:15 PM
I sometimes wonder if Schmitty could hang with one of his workouts.

KantoSooner
7/16/2014, 04:26 PM
Schmitty s a bit over 25.

Such things do not get easier with age.

Scott D
7/16/2014, 04:58 PM

the day I take the comments section on espn seriously is the day that I've clearly had either a lobodomy or just had my brain decide to never function again on it's own.

8timechamps
7/16/2014, 07:51 PM

Virtual? This is the real deal! Love is in the air...

BoulderSooner79
7/16/2014, 07:57 PM
I donated blood today and they asked me all kinds of questions whose answers would disqualify me from donating. Then I realized all those virtual boyfriends/girlfriends didn't count and they went ahead and drained me. So if you guys need a transfusion anytime soon, the blood supply is safe! Honest!

JLMSOONER
7/16/2014, 07:59 PM
About the only one who reportedly could hang with Schmitty's workouts was Adrian Peterson and those reports have been confirmed by Stoops, that he could hold 70-pound dumbbells in each hand and still jump to the tallest plyometric box. The second we find another guy who can do Schmitty workouts upon first arrival on campus... don't let the Vikings or any other sh!tty NFL franchises draft him and pray there's no collarbone injuries during his Sooner stay

I politely beg to differ Badge. As a life long.......and I do mean life long Vikings fan, I died and went to virtual heaven when the Vikings drafted Mr. Peterson. Not only Mr. Peterson, but fellow Sooner Rufus Alexander as well. Granted, the Vikings have not been stellar, they did get AD (why don't they call him AP?) within 9 yards of the single season rushing record with no other offense to speak of. So, I think the sh!tty Vikings team deserved him for my selfish reasons. For a short time, I had the hope the Rams would send Bradford packing (St, Louis folks do not appreciate Bradford. I live here) and the Vikings would pick him up.

badger
7/17/2014, 08:42 AM
You're fairly new, so fyi, be prepared to defend your NFL team on a regular basis here. I'd say at least a third of the league is represented

I'm a Packers fan, so the Vikings suck, even with AD. Plus, they've never won a Super Bowl, so they suck to everyone else too.

JLMSOONER
7/17/2014, 02:07 PM
You're fairly new, so fyi, be prepared to defend your NFL team on a regular basis here. I'd say at least a third of the league is represented

I'm a Packers fan, so the Vikings suck, even with AD. Plus, they've never won a Super Bowl, so they suck to everyone else too.

Ah, I'm not as new as you might think, I just don't post a lot. I enjoy the knowledge and humor on this board. I know the vikes haven't been exactly stellar through the years. No SB wins but we have kissed our sister a few times in the past. I now live in the Lou so was pretty excited to see the Rams get Bradford although, STL is a baseball town and they keep hoping Bradford will leave. I did see Peterson run for 200+ against Rams in Stl on his near record breaking campaign. In any case, having a thick NFL skin is a requirement being fan of either of those teams. But, my heart lies in Soonerland. I have high hopes this year. Probably the highest since the Florida game we should have won. So carry on!!

badger
7/17/2014, 03:17 PM
In some alternate universe Sam Bradford is the beloved quarterback and hometown hero of the Pittsburgh Steelers and St. Louis hates Ben Roethlisberger instead :(

cvsooner
7/17/2014, 05:34 PM
Schmitty s a bit over 25.

Such things do not get easier with age.

I wonder if Schmitty ever hung with one of Schmitty's workouts. I know he's over 25 and all, but you suppose he ever did one of his own workouts?

olevetonahill
7/17/2014, 05:40 PM
Ah, I'm not as new as you might think, I just don't post a lot. I enjoy the knowledge and humor on this board. I know the vikes haven't been exactly stellar through the years. No SB wins but we have kissed our sister a few times in the past. I now live in the Lou so was pretty excited to see the Rams get Bradford although, STL is a baseball town and they keep hoping Bradford will leave. I did see Peterson run for 200+ against Rams in Stl on his near record breaking campaign. In any case, having a thick NFL skin is a requirement being fan of either of those teams. But, my heart lies in Soonerland. I have high hopes this year. Probably the highest since the Florida game we should have won. So carry on!!

Yup Badj
JLM been around a LOOOONG time, he just dont have Diarrhea of the Keyboard like the rest of us :cocksure:

8timechamps
7/17/2014, 06:48 PM
This feels like a good time to remind the board that the Broncos will be winning it all this year. Last year was just a test run...

BoulderSooner79
7/17/2014, 08:55 PM
This feels like a good time to remind the board that the Broncos will be winning it all this year. Last year was just a test run...

I thought the year before was the test run ?

BTW, I hope you're correct. I'd love to see Manning go out the same way Elway did…

PS: DGB is a beast (content-free on topic comment)

Curly Bill
7/17/2014, 09:34 PM

Nope! I'm guessing that butt-whoopin from the Super Bowl and the trauma thereof will keep the Broncos from advancing as far as they did last year.

badger
7/18/2014, 09:01 AM
This feels like a good time to remind the board that Peyton Manning is a Pez dispenser. Last year was just a test run on his neck snapping back.

JLMSOONER
7/18/2014, 01:11 PM
Yup Badj
JLM been around a LOOOONG time, he just dont have Diarrhea of the Keyboard like the rest of us :cocksure:

Well, my dad always told me, you don't learn nuthin when you're talking (typing)!!

8timechamps
7/18/2014, 03:16 PM
Nope! I'm guessing that butt-whoopin from the Super Bowl and the trauma thereof will keep the Broncos from advancing as far as they did last year.

I don't know what you're talking about, I don't remember that game.

8timechamps
7/18/2014, 03:17 PM
This feels like a good time to remind the board that Peyton Manning is a Pez dispenser. Last year was just a test run on his neck snapping back.

Dorial Green=Beckham loves the Broncos!*

*this statement may, or may not be true.

badger
7/18/2014, 03:27 PM
DGB detests the Broncos, as they were the ones who told him to go to Mizzou. Green Bay told him to follow his heart to OU, but nooooooo Broncos be all like S-E-C! S-E-C!*

*Tim Tebow and Peyton Manning, the last two starting quarterbacks for Denver, were SEC college quarterbacks. Coincidence?

Jason White's Third Knee
7/19/2014, 05:26 PM
Has DGB stolen anything yet? Check your pockets.

Mazeppa
8/1/2014, 08:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/oklahoma-confident-dorial-green-beckham-will-play-this-season-212211118.html

BoulderSooner79
8/1/2014, 08:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/oklahoma-confident-dorial-green-beckham-will-play-this-season-212211118.html

Old news and I'll believe it when I believe it. :05.18-flustered: And why are they waiting on paperwork from Mizzou now? Did Pinkelnutz change his mind? Did the powers that be in the SEC!SEC! get to Pinkel? Inquiring minds wanna know this sh*t.

Wishboned
8/1/2014, 11:25 PM
If he gets approved to play, and Mixon is cleared then we'll have one of the best one-two punches in college football.

CK Sooner
8/1/2014, 11:42 PM
If he gets approved to play, and Mixon is cleared then we'll have one of the best one-two punches in college football.

technically I think dgb pushed a girl, not punched. lol

Wishboned
8/1/2014, 11:52 PM
technically I think dgb pushed a girl, not punched. lol

So what you're saying is DGB will be the lead blocker when Mixon punches it in?

Soonerwake
8/2/2014, 12:36 AM
With DGB blocking, we will get enough push for Mixon to punch it in.

I feel bad...

EatLeadCommie
8/2/2014, 02:01 AM
I don't think DGB gets in, but honestly, he is a bigger puzzle piece than Mixon for this year. Mixon is more for the long term.

CK Sooner
8/2/2014, 03:49 AM
I don't think DGB gets in, but honestly, he is a bigger puzzle piece than Mixon for this year. Mixon is more for the long term.

Why? Other cases like DGB's have led to approvals. Even a story published by News9 said the Oklahoma staff is confident he will be cleared.

Mazeppa
8/12/2014, 08:22 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/24657952/oklahoma-officially-files-dorial-green-beckhams-appeal-to-ncaa

swardboy
8/14/2014, 06:34 AM
Stupid Question: Is DGB practicing with the team?

thecrimsoncrusader
8/14/2014, 06:45 AM
Stupid Question: Is DGB practicing with the team?

Yes, he is practicing.

Widescreen
8/14/2014, 08:57 AM
There are quite a few pictures of him practicing at soonersports.com and even some vine videos making their rounds.

Eielson
8/14/2014, 07:35 PM

We're still talking virtual, right?

8timechamps
8/14/2014, 07:39 PM
We're still talking virtual, right?

Virtual, Actual, Dream...whatever method you choose.