PDA

View Full Version : Are you proud to be an American?

Sooner in Tampa
7/2/2014, 12:58 PM
If you are, chances are that you not a liberal...go figure.

Michelle Obama took some heat in 2008 for saying that, "for the first time in my adult life I am proud of my country... (http://www.newsweek.com/michelle-obamas-proud-remarks-83559)"

As it turns out, that sentiment isn't all that unusual on the far left of American politics. According to a new Pew Research Center study (http://www.people-press.org/2014/06/26/the-political-typology-beyond-red-vs-blue/), only 40 percent of consistently liberal Americans say they often feel proud to be Americans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbBfrKsVqY).

The other 60 percent say that doesn't describe them.

Link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/06/26/proud-to-be-an-american-youre-probably-not-a-true-liberal/)

olevetonahill
7/2/2014, 01:06 PM
Im proud to be an American. Aint proud of the Shatty politicians and the things they do.

Sooner8th
7/3/2014, 05:39 AM
Im proud to be an American. Aint proud of the Shatty politicians and the things they do.

WOW - we agree on something.

yermom
7/3/2014, 10:11 PM
what exactly does it mean to be an American? what are you so proud of?

the government? the President? Our foreign policy? our image in the world? our job market?

8timechamps
7/3/2014, 10:16 PM

the government? the President? Our foreign policy? our image in the world? our job market?

The same thing that it means to be a "Proud Okie".

hawaii 5-0
7/3/2014, 10:18 PM
To answer the question.....Hell yeah !!

5-0

SCOUT
7/3/2014, 10:47 PM

Our liberty. We still have a chance to retain it, but it is slipping away.

yermom
7/4/2014, 10:37 AM
i'm fairly sure that's a fairy tale as it is

okie52
7/5/2014, 09:21 AM

Just a few of my reasons:

It's my home...

Our economy...its one of the best in the world or didnt you know that?

Our republic (democracy). Hard to find many places in the world that are as good...did you miss that?

Our standard of living....again, if you haven't noticed, we have millions of foreigners from around the world clamoring to get into the US...

Our technological achievements throughout our history...surely you didn't miss that too

The land itself...hard to find any other countries that even compare,

Our roads, highways, airports, etc...

Our universities are among the best in the world.

Our entertainment industry from movies to TV...the best in the world

Our military...the best in the world.

Our space program...the best in the world (well, at least when we use it)

I could go on and on but you get my drift...America isn't always "right" and it certainly has some flaws but I feel very proud and lucky to be an American...how about you?

FaninAma
7/5/2014, 10:08 AM
I am proud of what this country and it's people have accomplished.

I am not proud of the growth of government and the way it
subsidizes ignorance, poor personal choices and an entitlement
mentality. You could throw in the growing = corporate-government fascism
trend in the things I don't like about the country.

yermom
7/5/2014, 02:51 PM
Just a few of my reasons:

It's my home...

Our economy...its one of the best in the world or didnt you know that?

Our republic (democracy). Hard to find many places in the world that are as good...did you miss that?

Our standard of living....again, if you haven't noticed, we have millions of foreigners from around the world clamoring to get into the US...

Our technological achievements throughout our history...surely you didn't miss that too

The land itself...hard to find any other countries that even compare,

Our roads, highways, airports, etc...

Our universities are among the best in the world.

Our entertainment industry from movies to TV...the best in the world

Our military...the best in the world.

Our space program...the best in the world (well, at least when we use it)

I could go on and on but you get my drift...America isn't always "right" and it certainly has some flaws but I feel very proud and lucky to be an American...how about you?

so you are happy you won the geographic lottery and happened to be born here

what did you have to do with the rest of it to be proud of exactly?

olevetonahill
7/5/2014, 03:13 PM

I went to Nam, You?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZf619DIpo

yermom
7/5/2014, 04:13 PM
that makes you proud of America?

olevetonahill
7/5/2014, 05:18 PM
that makes you proud of America?

The question wasnt are you proud OF America, The question is ARE you proud to Be an American, And yes Im proud to be an American. Already said I aint real proud of some of the things Our worthless Politicians have done In OUR name.

okie52
7/5/2014, 06:50 PM

The question, which you obviously forgot, was "Are you proud to be an American"?

I can be proud of other Americans accomplishments just like OU football...that's not too hard for you to follow...is it?

Hell yes I'm happy to have been born in the US...aren't you?

rock on sooner
7/5/2014, 07:14 PM
I am proud of what this country and it's people have accomplished.

I am not proud of the growth of government and the way it
subsidizes ignorance, poor personal choices and an entitlement
mentality. You could throw in the growing = corporate-government fascism
trend in the things I don't like about the country.

Okay, let's look at SCOTUS telling us that corporate America is
human(people) so they are entitled to free speech, uber money in politics,
etc. Yup, it's 'Merica, c'mon yew guys, let's dew it!!! It appears the
answer is "let the states do it, wow, just what we need, 50 different
approaches to the same problem. Ummm, I guess I'd like some kind
of reasonable approach....aint likely to happen here, but I'm eager to
hear all the solutions!.......BOOMER...

Sooner Eclipse
7/5/2014, 10:57 PM
It appears the
answer is "let the states do it, wow, just what we need, 50 different
approaches to the same problem. Ummm, I guess I'd like some kind
of reasonable approach....aint likely to happen here, but I'm eager to
hear all the solutions!.

Fifty different approaches is exactly what is needed. That way we can see what works in a practical application and those states with systems that don't work can copy those that do. Also I can move the hell out of a state that adopts a totalitarian mind set to governance. Not be locked into a one size fits all liberal utopia.

Turd_Ferguson
7/5/2014, 11:12 PM
Fifty different approaches is exactly what is needed. That way we can see what works in a practical application and those states with systems that don't work can copy those that do. Also I can move the hell out of a state that adopts a totalitarian mind set to governance. Not be locked into a one size fits all liberal utopia.

Wurd.

SCOUT
7/5/2014, 11:36 PM
I went to Nam, You?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZf619DIpo

I am proud that our country produces people like Vet who go and do the dirty work that lets the rest of us live with the freedoms we have.

yermom
7/6/2014, 08:45 AM
The question, which you obviously forgot, was "Are you proud to be an American"?

I can be proud of other Americans accomplishments just like OU football...that's not too hard for you to follow...is it?

Hell yes I'm happy to have been born in the US...aren't you?

so what's the point in patting yourself on the back for it, or denigrating someone that doesn't?

maybe some people can't ignore the bad **** for the waning good **** anymore. and the good **** for the most part is from things most of us had nothing to do with, or is basically ancient history at this point

olevetonahill
7/6/2014, 09:18 AM
so what's the point in patting yourself on the back for it, or denigrating someone that doesn't?

maybe some people can't ignore the bad **** for the waning good **** anymore. and the good **** for the most part is from things most of us had nothing to do with, or is basically ancient history at this point

So Dave, We should Hang our heads in shame that we are America? Aint happenin down here around me. You soundin moren more Like a Lib apologist bro.

Turd_Ferguson
7/6/2014, 12:37 PM
So Dave, We should Hang our heads in shame that we are America? Aint happenin down here around me. You soundin moren more Like a Lib apologist bro.

No ****.

okiewaker
7/6/2014, 12:50 PM
Dayum skippy I'm proud to be an American. As I think about the rest of the countries throughout the world, no place I'd rather be. Mostly, I would have to say, I'm proud of the American people!

okie52
7/6/2014, 10:26 PM

So you are an American that isn't proud of his country or apparently his countrymen. Bravo.

No one said we should take credit for the accomplishments of others...doesn't mean you can't appreciate them. The waning good ****? Well you are certainly able (and welcome) to go to another country that you feel represents your ideals better than the US...you know, so you won't feel oppressed or a part of the country's decline. Or you could work to change things that you don't agree with rather than denigrate all the good that comes from this country.

Ancient history? You obviously don't get out of your cave very often. This country still leads the world in tech and has an oil industry that has flipped conventional wisdom on its ear in the last decade.

But hey, don't let me spoil your pity party. There's a lot wrong with America but I can't think of another country that I'd rather call home....how about you?

yermom
7/6/2014, 10:54 PM
for being so proud, you guys sure bitch a lot

okie52
7/6/2014, 11:09 PM
I was proud when OU beat BAMA but I certainly bitched about our losses to Texas and Baylor...go figure...

Curly Bill
7/6/2014, 11:10 PM
When did being proud of your country mean you had to accept all the harmful sh*t that's happening to it right now?

olevetonahill
7/6/2014, 11:55 PM

Thats cause we PROUD ****in Free people who CAN bitch with out being thrown in Prison. Pay Tention bro.

Sooner in Tampa
7/7/2014, 07:05 AM

First and foremost Proud to be an American doesn't have **** to do with politics!!! Stick your politics right up your azz

Proud to be an American means that believe in many things:

Hard work pays off
Men and Women will defend your country on a voluntary basis...National Courage
This is the greatest country in world...look around
Even the poorest Americans live better than 75% of the world
When the $hit hits the fan...your community will rally around one other to fix it
We have the best legal system in the world
We have some of the best people in the world
We are a compassionate nation...sometimes to fault, but we are always first to help when disaster strikes other, less fortunate countries

Being a proud American is a mindset...not some state of utopia. It like family...everything ain't peachy, but by God it is better than the alternative. We are loud, proud, and full of bravado with a never say die attitude

Turd_Ferguson
7/7/2014, 02:48 PM

Dave, I'll say a little prayer for you. Okay?

8timechamps
7/7/2014, 11:03 PM

Let me ask you this way:

Are you proud of our football team?

We don't do anything on the field, and we bitch all the time, but we're proud as hell.

I just realized OU Football = 'Murrica! Out-****ing-standing!

yermom
7/8/2014, 12:30 AM
that is like allegory lite for this though

deep down, i know that's a little silly for the reasons above

of course, i have about a 20 year relationship with OU outside of football

i'm also a real fan, with a degree ;)

what would it take for you to not be proud of OU? how many Blake eras in a row or orange jumpsuit SI covers? what about a JoePa/Sandusky situation?

what would it take for you to stop wearing your OU hat?

8timechamps
7/8/2014, 09:16 PM

what would it take for you to not be proud of OU? how many Blake eras in a row or orange jumpsuit SI covers? what about a JoePa/Sandusky situation?

Short of the entire university coming out in favor of communism, there isn't anything that would make me take off my hat. Of course I have a degree, so I feel vested too.

I know I didn't do anything to contribute to the on-filed success of the program, but I'm proud. I'm sure I was wearing OU stuff the same week as the infamous Charles Thompson SI cover came out. If I can, I'd like to be buried in a full blown OU suit (crimson with a nice cream tie).

Seriously though, as it relates to the country, I'm proud of my country. I'm not always proud of the decisions the government makes, or the actions of some, but that doesn't change how I feel overall. I've been to some real ****ty parts of the world, and I've seen the good and bad in those places, and I still prefer the USA. While I don't have a degree from the USA, I do feel like I've contributed to some of the positives this country provides, and for that, I am proud.

Eielson
7/8/2014, 10:44 PM

If a bird **** on it. That's pretty gross.

Soonerjeepman
7/9/2014, 12:52 AM

so, since you seem to have issues with being a proud American you must not have any Indian (PC - Native American) in ya? Since you seem to believe to be a REAL fan you have had to participate in that event/school/team or something similar.

Guess since I didn't get a degree from OU...but was raised to be a fan, for the last 43 years, by my grandpa, who was a wheat farmer in Medford for most of his life, he nor I are not REAL fans. Understand Grandpa died at 85 about 15 years ago, left school in 8th grade, so college wasn't an option. Maybe I could take you out to the family farm that was staked during the Land Run by my great grandpa?

Now I understand.

So what pro team...ANY SPORT...are you not a "real fan" of? Since I'm sure you had nothing to do with that team.

PS - thanks Vet and all you other "vets" for your service.

8timechamps
7/9/2014, 03:08 PM
so, since you seem to have issues with being a proud American you must not have any Indian (PC - Native American) in ya? Since you seem to believe to be a REAL fan you have had to participate in that event/school/team or something similar.

Guess since I didn't get a degree from OU...but was raised to be a fan, for the last 43 years, by my grandpa, who was a wheat farmer in Medford for most of his life, he nor I are not REAL fans. Understand Grandpa died at 85 about 15 years ago, left school in 8th grade, so college wasn't an option. Maybe I could take you out to the family farm that was staked during the Land Run by my great grandpa?

Now I understand.

So what pro team...ANY SPORT...are you not a "real fan" of? Since I'm sure you had nothing to do with that team.

PS - thanks Vet and all you other "vets" for your service.

I think Dave was talking about why he felt vested in the school. I don't think he was relating fanhood to having a degree.

Other than OSU and A&M, I've never heard anyone say you can't be a fan unless you went to that school. Hell, my degree is post grad, so I was barely there. If only alumni could be fans, Central Florida would be the biggest brand in college football.

yermom
7/9/2014, 11:04 PM
that was a nod to the old threads about "real fans" and "i'm sitll wearing my OU hat"

olevetonahill
7/10/2014, 02:36 AM
that was a nod to the old threads about "real fans" and "i'm sitll wearing my OU hat"

The One Penquin started years ago was Classic.

Soonerjeepman
7/10/2014, 07:01 AM

my apologies..it was late and I had a horrible day at work. I still think your political beliefs aren't worth $hit though...:friendly_wink:

Sooner in Tampa
7/10/2014, 09:22 AM
my apologies..it was late and I had a horrible day at work. I still think your political beliefs aren't worth $hit though...:friendly_wink:

He's still young, idealistic, and wants to help everyone...as he gets older he will tire of paying the way for the lazy bastards that always want a handout instead of a handup :soap:

TheHumanAlphabet
7/10/2014, 10:01 AM

Gee, I'm shocked!!! We are supposed to be all band wagoneers and dumb hicks that don't know anything better than to follow the second team in the state...;)

Oh and my hat, besides a Leinenkugel hat I wear sometimes, I only have OU hats.