PDA

View Full Version : New special uniforms from Nike

cvsooner
7/1/2014, 04:21 PM
Hm. Not sure what to think yet.

http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/microsites/14fb_w/index-w.html

cvsooner
7/1/2014, 04:25 PM
Highlighting our prior special uniforms from Tech at 2009 and last year in the Cotton Bowl = bad idea.

cvsooner
7/1/2014, 04:30 PM
If you're not into the flashy site stuff, here ya go:

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209536008

cvsooner
7/1/2014, 04:31 PM
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/1024/NB/NBLXFLLQSNSOEYZ.20140701153713.jpg

cvsooner
7/1/2014, 04:32 PM
https://admin.xosn.com/pics33/640/MQ/MQNVYDOOSDSUPZG.20140701191002.png
http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/microsites/14fb_w/images/knight-600x1100.jpg

cvsooner
7/1/2014, 04:35 PM
Players liked 'em, apparently, from Twitter:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrfRzcfCQAAHrOG.jpg

https://twitter.com/OU_Football/status/484086167499857920/photo/1

picasso
7/1/2014, 04:36 PM
Suck. Nike needs to concentrate more on shoes.

picasso
7/1/2014, 04:38 PM
Black facemasks? Meh.

SoonerMachine
7/1/2014, 04:43 PM
Butt. Ugly.

SoonerMarkVA
7/1/2014, 05:25 PM
I like the idea of having a white helmet available, but I'd be happy just having a reverse of the standard helmet.

Overall they're OK. I like that they aren't garish and outrageous.

olevetonahill
7/1/2014, 05:25 PM
Strange how this works aint it? Some folk think they uglier than a scabby Fat woman yet I kinda Like the Uniforms ( Not the Scabby fat wimmen)

8timechamps
7/1/2014, 05:28 PM
My initial reaction was negative, but after seeing how the players reacted, and taking a good look at them, I'm starting to like them. I'm not sure about the wood grain through...that's gonna take some time to get used to.

cvsooner
7/1/2014, 05:31 PM
Gabe Ikard, Trey Millard and Aaron Colvin all posted on Twitter they helped design them. I think they're okay. Hey, if that's what it takes to make the players happy, and they're winning, I don't care. I'm not crazy about the all red look. or the all white, either. But otherwise I think they work. Especially after you read about the tradition that went into the designs.

The woodgrain won't even show on the field, to the stands, anyway. On TV, yeah, but elsewhere, not so much.

I just hope we can play better than our last two stabs at special uniforms. Oy, my head aches at thinking about those games.

cvsooner
7/1/2014, 05:44 PM
Not going over well with the fans on Facebook. Probably why they released them during the U.S.-Belgium soccer match.

https://www.facebook.com/OklahomaFootball/posts/320405738125926

colleyvillesooner
7/1/2014, 07:39 PM
I like the immediate comparisons to Oregon. I hate Facebook. I would go bananas if I had one.

I don't mind them as a 1-2 a year alternate. Bigger logo is cool. I do still want just the normal helmet, with the colors reversed.

picasso
7/1/2014, 07:44 PM
They look good? Yes, let's look like Nebraska!

NorthernIowaSooner
7/1/2014, 07:56 PM
I don't hate the red ones but looking at the photo above that has all four on them, the original two still stand out as the best.

Mazeppa
7/1/2014, 09:12 PM
Fan for over 40 years, not a fan of the new uniforms. I hope they wear them early in the season and get it over with then get back to our traditional look.

Soonerwake
7/1/2014, 10:01 PM
I am normally a tradition guy, but after watching the players reaction, I'm all for it. It's obvious a lot of time and thought went in to those, so consider me a fan.

ouwasp
7/1/2014, 11:07 PM
I don't care for alternate #2. I'm surprised the players like them so much; the designs don't seem to be bizarre enough to catch the eye of a 20 yr old.

Let's hope these unis are in storage after the Tulsa game so the team can care about more important matters.

picasso
7/2/2014, 01:18 AM
Gabe Ikard, Trey Millard and Aaron Colvin all posted on Twitter they helped design them. I think they're okay. Hey, if that's what it takes to make the players happy, and they're winning, I don't care. I'm not crazy about the all red look. or the all white, either. But otherwise I think they work. Especially after you read about the tradition that went into the designs.

The woodgrain won't even show on the field, to the stands, anyway. On TV, yeah, but elsewhere, not so much.

I just hope we can play better than our last two stabs at special uniforms. Oy, my head aches at thinking about those games.
I didn't realize those guys were design/art students. Maybe Joe Washington can paint all the shoes.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/2/2014, 07:38 AM
I'd bet they played that video at the reveal. Hell, I started getting geeked up by the music. They kids probably wanted to wreck the joint with the jams pumping and the new unis strolling in.

They look a little Louisville, but still cool. It's hard to break from our badass traditional unis. Odds are that these won't last long. If we win, I don't care too much about the new look.

PrideMom
7/2/2014, 08:45 AM
Aweful! Also no stripe on the pants. Hate the tiger striped helmets, though they are saying it is a"wood" grain pattern, still stupid! One of things I liked about watching the Sugar Bowl was that BOTH teams were in tradional uniforms, and you KNEW who was playing. Now the teams look like arena football, and lesser schools TRYING to look important.

KantoSooner
7/2/2014, 08:59 AM
agreed. I really don't care, but there's something to be said for simplicity and old school style. In the same way that having a matte finish black corvette with non-glare, tinted windows would be cool.

jkjsooner
7/2/2014, 08:59 AM
Aweful! Also no stripe on the pants. Hate the tiger striped helmets, though they are saying it is a"wood" grain pattern, still stupid! One of things I liked about watching the Sugar Bowl was that BOTH teams were in tradional uniforms, and you KNEW who was playing. Now the teams look like arena football, and lesser schools TRYING to look important.

Most people knew. My wife, on the other hand, kept forgetting which team was which.

SoonerPride
7/2/2014, 09:02 AM
Never have been a fan of gimmicky uniforms. Tradition rich schools should stick with tradition and let wannabes tinker with Arena League uniform combinations.

I vote thumbs down.

But they didn't ask me.

Aries
7/2/2014, 09:03 AM
Not crazy about them.

SoonerPride
7/2/2014, 09:08 AM
I will add that at LEAST they didn't add gray and black and green and extra colors to our palette of possible combinations like the morons in stillwater.

that would have really made me flip out.

Jack T.
7/2/2014, 10:23 AM
The only thing I like is putting OKLAHOMA across the chest in place of SOONERS.

But I'm an old stick in the mud. . .change is bad. Leave things alone. Been fine for 100 years, should be fine for another 100.

But they didn't ask me. . .and as long as we win, I don't care if they were sparkles and tap shoes.

Pricetag
7/2/2014, 11:02 AM
FINALLY! I've been saying for years that college football needed more tree bark pattern.

I don't want to see these duds against anyone but the East Popcorn States of the world.

SoonerMarkVA
7/2/2014, 11:05 AM
The only thing I like is putting OKLAHOMA across the chest in place of SOONERS.

But I'm an old stick in the mud. . .change is bad. Leave things alone. Been fine for 100 years, should be fine for another 100.

But they didn't ask me. . .and as long as we win, I don't care if they were sparkles and tap shoes.

Totally agree. In the 90s, the home reds were Sooners and road whites were Oklahoma. I always thought both should be Oklahoma and, instead, they changed them both to Sooners.

badger
7/2/2014, 11:34 AM
I went away from the internet to let you all have your say. Now I'll have mine... in motivational poster format:
http://i61.tinypic.com/2zyzion.png

Pricetag
7/2/2014, 01:09 PM
Are they giving a nod to the 20th anniversary of the baseball NC with the "home plate" collar design?

badger
7/2/2014, 01:20 PM
You, too, can spike your armpit, pay homage to the 1994 baseball team, recall a simpler time where "Oklahoma" was on the front of our jerseys and whatever the hell else Nike claims for a low, low cost of $134.95* (http://shop.soonersports.com/COLLEGE_Oklahoma_Sooners_Jerseys/Oklahoma_Sooners_Nike_Number_10_Limited_Football_J ersey_-_Cream)

*No name on the back of the jersey but of course

BudsBoy
7/2/2014, 01:55 PM
Those collars look stupid and they look like the players will be pulling them down when they need to let off some steam.

badger
7/2/2014, 02:36 PM
when you look at it from behind it looks like a baseball jersey... might be onto something with the '94 nat'l title pricetag:
http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_1805000/altimages/FF_1805777ALT3_xl.jpg&w=400

8timechamps
7/2/2014, 04:38 PM

All of the pants have stripes. They used the same stripe pattern they used on the Nike Pro Combat uniforms we have worn in the past.

8timechamps
7/2/2014, 05:09 PM
It didn't really matter what the new alternate uniform looked like, there was going to be initial push-back. We have one of the few traditional uniforms in all of college football, so even a minor change would draw the ire of some (see last year's RRR uniforms). This was a much bigger step, and there is no way OU & Nike didn't know there would be some folks upset.

Since we already had (IMO) the best looking uniform in college football, anything was going to be a step back. But, in this day and age, recruits/players want options. So, we ended up with a couple of alternate looks.

I was thinking last night "wow, that's two huge announcements in less than a week". Then it kinda hit me, that was done purposely. Like I said, we've had such a traditional look, for so long, there was going to be push-back. So, why not "announce" the changes on the heels of the stadium renovation project?! At least that way the blowback will be toned down.

In the end, the players/recruits are very excited about these, and that's really what matters, as it directly relates to winning on the field.

cvsooner
7/2/2014, 05:29 PM
There's a nice graphic showing how the Sooners' uniforms have changed from 1890 on that's worth a browse at the site originally noted with the new uniforms. Some of them are pretty wild, indeed.

soonergirlNeugene
7/2/2014, 05:40 PM
Despite the abysmal way we've played in them in the past, I haven't been against having alternate jerseys. Maybe if there were clearer pictures of the helmet in profile it would be easier to decide, but as far as the jerseys go, I don't much care for them. The armpit spikes and color blocking just look awkward to me.

swardboy
7/2/2014, 06:35 PM
Was the stellar 2014 recruiting class really won over with the promise of wacky new uniforms?

HELL NO! We beat 'bama!

Pricetag
7/2/2014, 06:36 PM
I missed the 1995 Schnelly unis in the gallery with all of them. Bring back the sleeve stripes!

8timechamps
7/2/2014, 07:18 PM
Was the stellar 2014 recruiting class really won over with the promise of wacky new uniforms?

HELL NO! We beat 'bama!

We also lost to Texas and Baylor.

I get what you're saying, but these things matter nowadays (if there is any doubt, head over to SoonerSports and watch the player reaction video). I don't think a recruit would pick OU just for the new alternates (or probably any school for that matter), but having that stuff does help.

BoulderSooner79
7/2/2014, 07:47 PM
We also lost to Texas and Baylor.

I get what you're saying, but these things matter nowadays (if there is any doubt, head over to SoonerSports and watch the player reaction video). I don't think a recruit would pick OU just for the new alternates (or probably any school for that matter), but having that stuff does help.

Also, I think it adds a little excitement for the players for the game week that they wear them. Never know when a little extra emotional charge will make the difference.

sooneron
7/2/2014, 07:55 PM
Gabe Ikard, Trey Millard and Aaron Colvin all posted on Twitter they helped design them.
Here's the problem with that. I'm guessing NONE of those guys have experience in any field related to making things look good. They don't design ****, they may occasionally create a pair of shoes on the Nike or adidas site, nothing else. They're football players, that's it.

sooneron
7/2/2014, 07:56 PM
I went away from the internet to let you all have your say. Now I'll have mine... in motivational poster format:
http://i61.tinypic.com/2zyzion.png

meh, the huge collars suck too.

8timechamps
7/2/2014, 09:11 PM
Also, I think it adds a little excitement for the players for the game week that they wear them. Never know when a little extra emotional charge will make the difference.

I think the players get a little bit of a boost when they come out with something different on, but that all goes away when the game starts. Just like when we lost to Tech wearing the throw backs, we just played bad football and the uniform had nothing to do with it.

olevetonahill
7/2/2014, 09:24 PM
I think the players get a little bit of a boost when they come out with something different on, but that all goes away when the game starts. Just like when we lost to Tech wearing the throw backs, we just played bad football and the uniform had nothing to do with it.

Yup

As long as they Got a Lot of White an/or Crimson say SOONERS on em and we wearing em Im ok with whatever they want.

JoeR
7/2/2014, 09:47 PM
Geez, what's next? Maybe crimson turf with the other stadium renovations.
What ever happened to tradition and pride. Why act like the UO's of the world?

NorthernIowaSooner
7/2/2014, 09:48 PM
They're going to look ridiculous if they go all crimson. It'll look like a bunch of red plums running around. K-State used to go full purple with Prince at the helm and they looked like a bunch of grapes.

BB37
7/2/2014, 10:41 PM
I give 'em a golf clap.

olevetonahill
7/2/2014, 10:58 PM
Got a question fer those who say they hate em. Yall gonna NOT yell yer fool head off when they wearing em?

colleyvillesooner
7/2/2014, 11:54 PM
They're going to look ridiculous if they go all crimson. It'll look like a bunch of red plums running around. K-State used to go full purple with Prince at the helm and they looked like a bunch of grapes.

Jesus, you never go full purple.

bigfatjerk
7/3/2014, 07:14 AM
I kinda like them. I would hate it if we did this like Oregon does it or OSU does things. But having an alternative uniform for a couple games that look similar enough to the traditional uniforms like these do is just fine. I would like to see white helmets with the white road unis too.

badger
7/3/2014, 08:23 AM

Or else you might forget your power towel

KantoSooner
7/3/2014, 08:42 AM
has anyone thought about tie-dye uni's? Oregon could do those for the 2017 season in memory of the Summer of Love - 1967. That'd be sweet.

SoonerPride
7/3/2014, 09:51 AM

Or else you might forget your power towel

Lol

NASH79
7/3/2014, 10:43 AM
Not that big of a fan of the new unis. Adding a white helmet with a stripe to match the current crismon helmet would have been sufficent. I'll give it a chance.

Mac94
7/3/2014, 11:20 AM
Not that it matters but don't like the new unis ... nike and Oregon have made a mess of college football with all of this uni stuff. OU is a college football elite ... it doesn't need these kid of gimics.

PrideMom
7/3/2014, 12:02 PM
I just hope they don't put a schooner on the butt of the uniform, like OSU has Pistol Pete on theirs! UGH! I will have to BOO! uniforms, and that just doesn't make any sense. Also, please not all red like Nebraska came out in, they looked like they were playing in long-johns!

Scott D
7/3/2014, 05:06 PM
I just feel...meh.

8timechamps
7/3/2014, 05:28 PM
Not that it matters but don't like the new unis ... nike and Oregon have made a mess of college football with all of this uni stuff. OU is a college football elite ... it doesn't need these kid of gimics.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I think the era of the elite programs not having some kind of alternate is over. Notre Dame, whom I think had one of the top 3 most traditional uniforms in football, went crazy with theirs. Ohio State, another traditional uniform, has been all over the board with their alternates. Even Navy, who doesn't really worry about recruiting, has made the change.

There are only about 3 schools left that haven't done something:

Alabama - Although they jumped on the Nike Pro Combat bandwagon. They may, or may not ever go with an alternate, but I suspect they'll be the last to do it.

Penn State - Quite honestly, they should have made a change a few years ago.

USC - I suspect they'll do something soon, they need a little injection of energy and Sarkasian already did the alt uni thing at Washington.

Of those three, only Bama can fall back on the "we just win" excuse. I don't think having alternate uniforms will win over a recruit alone, but it's certainly something they are interested in and something that can be used against a team without them.

NorthernIowaSooner
7/3/2014, 07:05 PM

I agree. I don't really like them as a fan and someone who likes our current uniforms.

That being said, all the former, current players, and recruits have positive things to say so if they're fine with looking goofy while winning, I'm fine with it.

birddog
7/5/2014, 11:53 PM
Yeah I finally got a good look at em and I don't like all the details around the collars. I'm fine with it though, every once in a rare while.

soonersweetie
7/7/2014, 09:46 PM
Don't like them. The collar looks weird, the colors don't look right and the wood thing is beyond ridiculous. I don't mind change. I'm ok with the jersey every now and then for a special occasion. Leave the helmet and the pants alone.

We are gonna be laughed off the field with that wood thing. Every game the announcers will say something about it and people are gonna be like, seriously?

Makes no sense.

8timechamps
7/7/2014, 10:32 PM
Don't like them. The collar looks weird, the colors don't look right and the wood thing is beyond ridiculous. I don't mind change. I'm ok with the jersey every now and then for a special occasion. Leave the helmet and the pants alone.

We are gonna be laughed off the field with that wood thing. Every game the announcers will say something about it and people are gonna be like, seriously?

Makes no sense.

The color is the same as we have now. It looks like a different shade of crimson in the pictures, but Joe Castiglione was on the radio a couple of days ago and said that even though the color looks different in the pictures, it's absolutely the same color "in person".

The kids (players and recruits) seem to LOVE the wood grain thing. In fact, in all of the articles I've seen (about the unis) online, the wood grain is barely mentioned. It bothered me at first too, but I've grown to kinda like it (a lot of that has to do with the players loving it).

In the end, as long as the players like them, what else matters? If they win, I don't think any of us fans will really care what they're wearing.

ouwasp
7/7/2014, 11:21 PM
The fans ought to be told how often we can expect to see the alt unis. I hope it's not very often. But I'm glad the players like them...it is a bit surprising they seem to like them so well, since the alts aren't the typical bizarro funkfest Oregon wannabes plop out there.

Maybe they'll grow on me.

BoulderSooner79
7/7/2014, 11:33 PM
The fans ought to be told how often we can expect to see the alt unis. I hope it's not very often. But I'm glad the players like them...it is a bit surprising they seem to like them so well, since the alts aren't the typical bizarro funkfest Oregon wannabes plop out there.

Maybe they'll grow on me.

Look-up "the Hawthorne Effect" and it may apply to this situation. It also dovetails nicely with the new definition of players as employees.

ouwasp
7/8/2014, 02:54 AM
Look-up "the Hawthorne Effect" and it may apply to this situation. It also dovetails nicely with the new definition of players as employees.

Hmmm. Interesting speculation. Perhaps so. But those kids are idolized to an unhealthy degree already. And, as has been pointed out, the last couple times the Sooners wore a special, they truly performed poorly. Still, the Hawthorne Effect may indeed be in play here.

SoonerPride
7/8/2014, 07:39 AM
I would think for new uniforms to have a dramatic impact on the players' performance one would need to unveil them right before the game. Perhaps you could harness the excitement and enthusiasm they displayed at the unveiling in a theater and transfer that to the playing field if they had no foreknowledge of the uniforms.

Unveiling them in June would seem to fundamentally waste any Hawthorne. Effect.

BoulderSooner79
7/8/2014, 11:04 AM
Hmmm. Interesting speculation. Perhaps so. But those kids are idolized to an unhealthy degree already. And, as has been pointed out, the last couple times the Sooners wore a special, they truly performed poorly. Still, the Hawthorne Effect may indeed be in play here.

The kids are idolized by the fans. The new uniforms come from their "bosses" (the university) and may be perceived as an attempt to improve working conditions. Just pop psychology, but something has to explain why they like those unis. ;)

EatLeadCommie
7/8/2014, 11:16 AM
The players are always gonna love alternate uniforms. The fans, not so much.

They aren't horrible except for the incorporation of black into them via the shoes, socks, wristbands, and armbands. I would be much cooler with them if those were just red. The facemask I can live with.

Thankfully, we don't do these very often, and I hope this year is the last for about another 5 years or so.

badger
7/8/2014, 11:57 AM
http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_1805000/altimages/FF_1805778ALT1_xl.jpg&w=400
-100% Polyester fabric
- Applique logo at collar
- Flywire-strengthened collar resists stretching
- Jock tag!!!!!!
- Mesh panels
- Screen print graphics
- Side slits at hem
- Tackle twill numbers
- Officially licensed

No wonder the players were excited! Jock tag! I cant' believe Nike would part ways with the jock tag uniforms for a mere $134.95! (http://shop.soonersports.com/COLLEGE_Oklahoma_Sooners/Oklahoma_Sooners_Nike_Number_10_Limited_Football_J ersey_-_Crimson)

8timechamps
7/8/2014, 08:58 PM
The players are always gonna love alternate uniforms. The fans, not so much.

They aren't horrible except for the incorporation of black into them via the shoes, socks, wristbands, and armbands. I would be much cooler with them if those were just red. The facemask I can live with.

Thankfully, we don't do these very often, and I hope this year is the last for about another 5 years or so.

In the recent radio interview with Joe C (I mentioned above), he said when they were in the very early planning phase for the new alts, the number one rule they gave Nike was "no black or gray pants, helmets or jerseys". I was happy to hear that.

badger
7/9/2014, 08:52 AM
In the recent radio interview with Joe C (I mentioned above), he said when they were in the very early planning phase for the new alts, the number one rule they gave Nike was "no black or gray pants, helmets or jerseys". I was happy to hear that.
I've seen black and gray replica jerseys for sale in the bookstore before, but glad it hasn't made it to the field.

If I'm not mistaken, the basketball team did grays during a Blake Griffin season game or two. Meh.

Speaking of basketball, anyone notice that the football away alternates are cream, not white? Basketball's done cream ones on occasion and they've always looked sharp.

tycat947
7/9/2014, 09:19 AM
I've seen black and gray replica jerseys for sale in the bookstore before, but glad it hasn't made it to the field.

If I'm not mistaken, the basketball team did grays during a Blake Griffin season game or two. Meh.

Speaking of basketball, anyone notice that the football away alternates are cream, not white? Basketball's done cream ones on occasion and they've always looked sharp.

I noticed that too! Wish they would use that more often! Both basketball teams should use the cream color instead of white exclusively IMO.

8timechamps
7/9/2014, 02:49 PM

I think they (the school & Nike) could get away with doing pretty much anything to the basketball uniforms and folks wouldn't care much. Football on the other hand...