PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo - Collin Klein set to join Kansas State football staff (Dr. Saturday)

Jenni Carlson
6/26/2014, 09:30 AM
One of the most notable Kansas State players in program history is going to be a part of the football staff. Former Kansas State QB Collin Klein is set to join Kansas State in a yet-to-be-determined capacity. Klein was a Heisman finalist in 2012 and led Kansas State to the Fiesta Bowl, where the Wildcats lost to Oregon. "I'm sure I'm going to help with the quarterbacks, but obviously anywhere else they need me as far as supporting the offensive staff," Klein told GoPowercat.com. "I'm sure I'll have multiple roles. I'd say it's some sort of offensive assistant/quality control role. That's probably what it'll be." While his statistics in both categories are good, Klein was a better runner than passer in his time at Kansas State and his attributes didn't translate well to pro football. After getting a tryout in the NFL and briefly spending time in the CFL, it appears Klein's professional career is now over. After he was cut from the Montreal Alouettes last week, Klein said he talked to coach Bill Snyder and the discussions went from there. "Anything and everything I'm willing to do," Klein said. "It's just what they tell me to do." Klein was the 2012 Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, a season in which Kansas State was briefly a contender for the national title. However, the hopes of reaching the BCS Championship Game were dashed with a loss at Baylor. When he joins Kansas State's staff, he'll join a group of notable quarterbacks serving as coaches for their alma maters and that's only in the Big 12. Oklahoma's Josh Heupel is the Sooners' co-offensive coordinator while Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy were quarterbacks before becoming head coaches at the schools they played at. Outside the conference, Florida's Chris Leak was recently promoted to wide receivers coach after the resignation of Joker Phillips. - - - - - - - Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @NickBromberg

More... (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/ncaaf/SIG=13nt6a7d9/*http%3A//rivals.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/collin-klein-set-to-join-kansas-state-football-staff-141119384.html)