PDA

View Full Version : Preseason mags/rags - which one?

OUmillenium
6/25/2014, 09:30 AM
Back in my late 20s/early 30s...before I engaged in all the internet info, I would purchase 1-4 Preseason mags (and every college basketball preseason mag available) to get informed and fired up for the season. In the last 5-10 years, I have taken to the habit of buying 1 (maybe) just to have a little on the side reading about the OU opponents and an easy look at college football schedules to plan my weekends.

So, since the current mags are about $10 each, which one should I go for this year? Athlon or Sporting News are my usual options.

Thanks for the input. I still have all my preseason basketball mags from the late 80s when OU was super good. Fun to give those a read when I stumble upon one.

BTW - only 22 viewing Sooner Football when I logged on today...yikes. I am a member of another forum focused on a particular russian style of firearm and there are usually 2000 or so viewing when I log on - crazy.

Salt City Sooner
6/25/2014, 11:30 AM
If you want info out the wazoo, Steele's is the best & it's not really close. Be aware though, he seems to have figured that out this year because he's jacked his price up to 13 bucks.

FWIW, I have Athlon's, Lindy's, & Sporting News & they're all $8. Guess it all depends on how much you want to put into it. As I said, Steele's is the best IMO, but at the same time, I can't say he's 5 bucks better.

Sooner24
6/25/2014, 11:41 AM
I think he's $5.00 better.

Widescreen
6/25/2014, 11:55 AM
If you're concerned about $5, it's probably better not to buy any of them. :)

OUmillenium
6/25/2014, 04:45 PM
Probably gonna be Sporting News, depending on who has the most OU stuff or highest ranking for OU. Steele's is good but its not very easy on the eyes, feels like reading an almanac. I don't get any of these mags for stats, depth charts, etc. like the articles, pics, and easy to read schedules.

8timechamps
6/25/2014, 04:58 PM
Before the internet, the preseason mags were a "must have" for college football fans. I remember being allowed to buy one at the grocery store, and I would always get Athlons (it was the sleekest looking one at the time). I would study that thing from cover to cover, rereading the OU section at least 5 times. Even during the Blake years, there would be a section for OU, and it always gave me a glimmer of hope.

I still browse them if I'm at Barnes & Noble, or an airport, but with the internet, there isn't much of an urge to buy them anymore. About the only magazine I would buy these days would be Sports Illustrated (if OU were on the cover).