PDA

View Full Version : Smart Daily Oklahoman people.

Rhino
10/20/2003, 12:51 AM
From NewsOK.com (http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=1099915&TP=getsooners):

Tight end Tommie: For the second time this season, defensive tackle Tommie Harris lined up at tight end for a short-yardage situation. The crowd cheered as he came into the game with OU facing second-and-goal from the Missouri 1. The Sooners didn’t score on the first try, but on third down, Works lunged into the end zone. Harris successfully blocked his man both times, but neither play ran directly behind him. Harris also played tight end for one play against UCLA, a successful fourth-down run by Works. Wrong.

Harris got worked the first time and completely missed his block. The second time, yes, he blocked his man successfully.

Half a Hundred
10/20/2003, 12:55 AM
They don't call it the Daily Disappointment for nothing...

Frozen Sooner
10/20/2003, 01:20 AM
I opened this up and expected to see a blank post...

You're completely right, by the way, Rhino. Everyone I was watching the game with said the same thing right after the play-not only did Tommie miss his block, but his man made the tackle.

Cam
10/20/2003, 08:06 AM
I thought the same thing when I read that yesterday. Tommie pretty much got used on that first play.

TopDawg
10/20/2003, 08:15 AM
"successfully blocked" is such a subjective term

scotplum
10/20/2003, 09:46 AM
A tad picky aren't we? I'm almost positive they ran to the opposite side the first play (now maybe he got abused anyway but it really doesn't matter does it?).

Cam
10/20/2003, 10:37 AM
Picky? Not al all, just calling it the way it happened. TH's guy beat him on the inside pretty handily on the first play.

Frozen Sooner
10/20/2003, 10:55 AM
scotplum-

Tommie was lined up on the right side of the line. The play went to the center-right tackle gap. TH's man made the tackle.

scotplum
10/20/2003, 11:13 AM
scotplum-

Tommie was lined up on the right side of the line. The play went to the center-right tackle gap. TH's man made the tackle.

Really, hmm. Guess memory didn't serve correctly. For some reason I had asked myself at the time he went in why would they put him in and run the opposite way. Oh well. It was probably because that darn girl that had to stand up on the bench in front of me with the huge SoonerHead so I couldn't see!

MamaMia
1/16/2007, 10:17 AM
Wrong information from the Daily Oklahoman is the norm. :)

Fugue
1/16/2007, 10:58 AM

:norm:

XingTheRubicon
1/16/2007, 10:59 AM

well played

Landthief 1972
1/16/2007, 12:43 PM

You sad, sad, woman. You must really be bored.

Thanks for cluttering the board with old useless posts in some pathetic attempt at vindication!

BTW, if you re-re-re-read my original post, I never said the editorial staff at the Oklahoman was good at their job.

MamaMia
1/16/2007, 01:01 PM
You sad, sad, woman. You must really be bored.

Thanks for cluttering the board with old useless posts in some pathetic attempt at vindication!

BTW, if you re-re-re-read my original post, I never said the editorial staff at the Oklahoman was good at their job.
If I wanted to clutter up the board with insulting topics and posts about the Daily Oklahoman it would have clogged up at least 3 pages, as opposed to the 2 threads I pulled up. I have no intentions of reading anymore of your nonsense. Your first post was more than enough to figure out that you just came on this board to be ugly. You are here for one reason and one reason only, to look for trouble and incite arguments with whomever will participate.

Congratulations on being the first and only member of my ignore list. :D

OUmillenium
1/16/2007, 01:06 PM
Smart Daily Ok? What a contra...nevermind

Landthief 1972
1/16/2007, 02:53 PM
[B]Congratulations on being the first and only member of my ignore list. :D

Thank God.

Sooooo....

Can't we still be friends? :texan:

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 05:04 PM
Rhino's always stirring up trouble.

stoopified
1/16/2007, 05:16 PM
Wrong information from the Daily Oklahoman is the norm. :)Amen

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 06:23 PM
I don't know. I haven't run the numbers myself, but I would imagine that if you took all the information in the Oklahoman, you'd probably find that at least 51% of it is correct. If that's the case, then wrong information is NOT the norm.

Maybe it has more wrong information than most papers, but I dunno.

SleestakSooner
1/16/2007, 06:41 PM
I don't know. I haven't run the numbers myself, but I would imagine that if you took all the information in the Oklahoman, you'd probably find that at least 51% of it is correct. If that's the case, then wrong information is NOT the norm.

Maybe it has more wrong information than most papers, but I dunno.

It has been judged and found wanting!

The Joklahoman is and has been judged to be the absolute worst large scale newpaper published within these here united states. I do find it extremely normal to pick up the glorified *** wipe and find at least one copy error on the very front page. It happens almost daily. Or did, before I quit reading it completely, which coincidentally coincided with the hiring of Jeni Carlson.:cool:

It really has nothing to do with the politics and everything to do with the quality of the paper itself and the integrity of the journalism held within.

worst newspaper in America, The

Columbia Journalism Review (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3613), Jan/Feb 1999 (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3613/is_199901) by Selcraig, Bruce (http://www.findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qt=%22Selcraig%2C+Bruce%22)

.query_homeNavHead{margin-top:10px;font-weight:bold;padding:0px 2px 0px 4px;}.query_homeNavLt, .queryHidehomeNavLt{border-top:0px;margin-top:0px;padding:3px 10px 0px 5px;}.query_homeNavLt div, .queryHidehomeNavLt div{padding:0px;}#fa_artWidFrame {width:207px;background-color:#EBF3F4;float:right;margin:0 0 5px 5px;}#fa_contentqueryDiv{padding-left:5px;padding-right:5px;border-left:#CCCCCC solid 1px;border-right:#CCCCCC solid 1px;}*html #fa_contentqueryDiv{margin-top:-6px;margin-bottom:-3px;}.fa_artWidTop {background:url(/i/us/fa_art_top.gif) no-repeat top center;height:10px;}.fa_artWidBot {background:url(/i/us/fa_art_bot.gif) no-repeat bottom center;height:10px;}
Find More Results for: "oklahoman worst newspaper "
Paper Buildings.(news... (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb3138/is_200110/ai_n7806859)
Rockets do without... (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20061203/ai_n16890484)
Kirilenko's wish... (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20060416/ai_n16163968)
FOR ONCE, FAS-FAX... (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb216/is_200005/ai_n5570283)

One Sunday morning many months ago the Rev. Robin Meyers stood before some five-- hundred members of his eclectic flock at Mayflower Congregational Church in Oklahoma City and ruminated about what he might do if he ever won a lottery jackpot. "I said I would give a lot of money to education, children, the homeless, that sort of thing," he recalls. "Then I mentioned that if there were any money left over I would start what this city really needs - a competing daily newspaper to The Daily Oklahoman . . . Well, everyone just started applauding. The place went wild. And this is not a wild church. Even the Republicans were clapping."
That same Sunday, like every day in Oklahoma City, a group of news-starved citizens ranging between five thousand and ten thousand, depending upon the quality of the football season, bought what many here call the most respected daily newspaper in town - a paper produced two-- hundred miles away, The Dallas Morning News.
"I simply won't subscribe to The Daily Oklahoman. They skew the news," says one of the local defectors, junior college professor Frank Silovsky.

"I'm always encouraging my students to read newspapers," says former Oklahoman city editor Randy Splaingard, a journalism professor at Oklahoma City University, "but I never require that they read the Oklahoman. The Constitution forbids cruel and unusual punishment."
"I have to read it," says Oklahoma Democratic political consultant and former Oklahoma City reporter Mike Carrier, "but it is without question the worst metropolitan newspaper in America."
Maybe you could find critics like these in any American city where an influential newspaper and billionaire publisher reign, but it's doubtful they could match the fervor of these aggrieved Oklahomans, these Democrats and Republicans of all colors and classes, ranchers, teachers, oil executives. They live with a civic wound that's been festering for twenty-five years, a newspaper whose unflattering nickname has become so ingrained in the state lexicon that from Muskogee to Guymon hardly a literate soul doesn't know of "The Daily Disappointment."
What other major newspaper in a metro area of one million people, and with a newsroom of 145 full-time reporters and editors, has only three African-Americans on its news staff?
Where else can you find a big-city editorial page - run by a Christian Coalition devotee plucked from Washington, D.C.'s right-wing Free Congress Foundation - that not only demonizes unions, environmentalists, feminists, Planned Parenthood, and public education, but also seems obsessed with lecturing gays? From an Oklahoman editorial titled, SIN NO MORE?: "There's no solid proof that anyone is born a homosexual .... Homosexuality is a sin .... But to deny that a sin is a sin and wallow in it is the first step toward damnation. To recognize bad behavior as a sin, repent of it and `go and sin no more' is the first step toward salvation."
Want lots of enterprising, in-depth stories with plenty of world and national news in your newspaper's front section? How about praline recipes instead?
At the Oklahoman, which runs a front-page prayer every day, the newslite front section is larded with cooking contests, horoscopes, Dear Abby, Billy Graham, Zig Ziglar, and women's fashion tips. Need a good chuckle? Try the six-day-a-week column on page two by "clean, keen, and topical" stand-up comedian Argus Hamilton, the son of an Oklahoma City Methodist minister. Hold on to your funny bone:
A whale is dead after a whale-watching boat hit it Monday off Boston Harbor. . . no wonder Monica Lewinsky won't come out of her apartment ....
y design or neglect, all this filler and flotsam crowds out a remarkable amount of real news, especially world and national events and news analysis. What's left over is an assortment of stories dominated by the staple of every tired newspaper - "official" event-based news taken from police reports, government hearings, meetings, studies, legislative action, and news conferences, as well as lots of feel-good features. While some of this "paper of record" reporting is essential, the Oklahoman rarely balances it with the more inconvenient, incisive journalism one finds at papers where creative editors and reporters captivate their readers.
But then again, this is not just any normal newspaper. Reporters learn quickly that things are done differently here, like when the Oklahoman ignored reports by The Washington Post and The New York Times in June 1986 that Sen. William Armstrong, R-Colorado, and Sen. David Boren, D-Oklahoma, had sponsored "a one-of-a-kind, multimillion-dollar" tax break that would benefit only eight wealthy investors - one of whom was publisher Ed Gaylord.
But that's not to suggest Gaylord is shy of publicity. A sampling of headlines since 1984:
OKLAHOMA CHRISTIAN DEDICATES GAYLORD CENTER; GAYLORD STOCK A HIT IN FIRST WEEK TRADING; GAYLORD BUILDING ON STATE'S FUTURE; OPRYLAND EXTRAVAGANZA TO HONOR GAYLORD; STATE FAIR HONORS GAYLORD; OLYMPIC COMMITTEE TO HONOR GAYLORD; COLLEGE FORUM AREA TO BE NAMED FOR THELMA GAYLORD; OKLAHOMANS HOLD LIVELY TRIBUTE FOR EDWARD L. GAYLORD; GAYLORD NAMED TOP HORSEMAN. (Oops, that's his son)

This is an eight pager article, the remainder of which can be found here (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3613/is_199901/ai_n8828320/pg_2).

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 07:57 PM
I didn't say it was a good paper...it's far from it. I was just saying that-contrary to what others were saying-it is right more often than it is wrong.

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 08:03 PM
By the way, I once told someone that the Oklahoman had been judged the worst paper in the nation. He defended the paper by saying it was a bunch of liberals who said that. Well, that may be the case...but that still doesn't speak well of any newspaper.