PDA

View Full Version : What would you think of Dorial Green Beckham coming to OU?

Mazeppa
6/18/2014, 09:08 PM
I hope it never happens and this is just talk.

http://fansided.com/2014/06/18/dorial-green-beckham-headed-oklahoma-sooners/

picasso
6/18/2014, 09:15 PM
Do we have enough weed?

CatfishSooner
6/18/2014, 09:40 PM
I do not want him...won't he be eligible for the NFL after next year? He'll have to sit out next season...so what's the point? We have a bevy of wide receiver talent...

SoonerMarkVA
6/18/2014, 09:53 PM
On the surface, I'd just as soon he went elsewhere. But if Stoops is for it, I'm for it. Stoops has had an impeccable record at deciding when a guy deserves a chance. So either way, I'm good.

8timechamps
6/18/2014, 09:54 PM
No thanks.

I believe in second chances, but not for other team's players at OU. The best thing he could do is find a small college, put his nose down, work hard and stay out of trouble. That doesn't/wouldn't excuse what he did, but it would be a good start. He certainly has the talent to play in the NFL, but he's going to have to put in more work than he would have, had he stayed out of trouble.

8timechamps
6/18/2014, 09:56 PM
On the surface, I'd just as soon he went elsewhere. But if Stoops is for it, I'm for it. Stoops has had an impeccable record at deciding when a guy deserves a chance. So either way, I'm good.

I'd agree that if Stoops was okay with it, I'd be okay with it and support the kid. Stoops knows him personally (and his family), so if he knew there was something worth the effort, I'd certainly defer to his judgement. Still, I just don't see it happening.

IronHorseSooner
6/19/2014, 05:58 AM
I have thought about this a good bit, and if he does play College Football this year, OU makes the most sense for a few reason:

1) Close enought to home for his family to view the games, but far enough away from home to get away from his current bad influences. I remember when he was being recruited that staying close to home was important to him, which is why he narrowed his choices between Mizzou and Arky. His family would be be just hours from where he would play a great number of games this year.
2) Our system is similar enough to Mizzou's. Since this would be a summer-long process to get him eligible, he would need to fit into a system where he could immediately adjust.
3) He would play somewhere that would put him on a national stage and for a big name. OU is both of those. He would have a chance to play for a national title, and that entices guys like him. He really does him no good to just set out for a year and do nothing or go to a smaller FCS or DII school. If he wants to be a Top 5 guy, he needs OU.
4) He needs a disciplinarian. Stoops and the staff are just that. This staff has a history of dismissing malcontents (i.e. Joe Powell, Jarboe, Bomar, the DE from Vegas) no matter how talented that they are.
5) He developed a good relationship with Coach Norvell. That means something to these kids.
6) He fits our needs. The WR corps has a lot of talent, but it is somewhat unknown. He could come here and immediately compete for a starting gig.
7) Our recent success with transfers, especially WRs. Justin Brown and Jalen Saunders are both in NFL camps, and both have great chances to make their squads.

Again, there are number of reasons to not take him. The point that the staff would need to make is that this is a new start at a new place, but you are on a short leash. That would send a message to the other players and incoming recruits that no matter how talented you are, rules are rules.

KantoSooner
6/19/2014, 07:15 AM
Obviously, he has the talent to play and contribute immediately.
Would he be disruptive to the team? I'll let Bob worry about that.
But the overarching concern for me would be that he's only going to play one more year of college ball before entering the draft (barring oddball injury, yadda yadda). Is he going to give you more in that one year than he's going to take away?

OUChampsBig12
6/19/2014, 08:01 AM
Just saying, we currently live in a world where no one is responsible for their actions.... Like it or not, it seems to be true - just look around. I say bring him in if he wants to be a Sooner and Bird Dog his *** from Day One until he leaves. Let's remember Bob Stoops is paid 5M a year to win football games and if this kid helps him win bring him in. He just needs to understand that one screw up and he will be sent to Sam Houston State!

badger
6/19/2014, 08:38 AM
Obviously, he has the talent to play and contribute immediately.

The talent, but not the eligibility. He'd only be able to play college football immediately at an FCS (or lower division) program, not FBS (or whatever they call us after we get our own playoff, heh).

Let's make him walk-on like the Tech quarterback that Kliff wouldn't let transfer :P

dennis580
6/19/2014, 09:08 AM
Wow I can't believe the reaction in this thread. DGB is one of the most physically talented players to ever play WR. People should be overjoyed at the chance to get DGB. When I think of DGB going to OU I think of National Championship.

KantoSooner
6/19/2014, 09:29 AM
Dennis, you are correct in your evaluation of his talent, but we'd only have him for a max of one playing year. Against that, we'd have to weigh the negative impact on the rest of our receivers and whether his attitude is so toxic that he's destroy team cohesion all by himself.
Let me make clear: I don't know the young man. Our coaches recruited him and clearly know more than I do. If they think he's just a drifting young man who can get it together, then I trust their judgment. It's possible, however, that he's one of those guys who we've all had the 'pleasure' of working with; a guy for whom everything is negative and who can wreck good will and fellow feeling with his mere presence. If that's who he is, then I don't care if he's the reincarnation of Jim Thorpe physically, we don't need him. Not after all the effort we've just gone through to get to a better place as a team.

picasso
6/19/2014, 09:32 AM
Wow I can't believe the reaction in this thread. DGB is one of the most physically talented players to ever play WR. People should be overjoyed at the chance to get DGB. When I think of DGB going to OU I think of National Championship.
You don't just recruit bodies.

ouwasp
6/19/2014, 09:49 AM
If it were up to me, the answer is no. I like redemptive stories and figure most of us have benefited from second chances. But in DGB's case, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one. There would seem to be a real chance of team disruption and a certain media firestorm over the story.

Bob and Joe get paid the huge $$ to decide these things though.

PrideMom
6/19/2014, 10:00 AM
Do NOT need him! OU can get anyone they REALLY want. If a player is kicked off another team, there is usually more problems than just the ones they listed. I hope he learns how to grow up fast, but we have seen it in the past when players just don't get it! I do not understand when a player is offered a full scholarship, and they do not respect it. It took me ten years of night school to get my first degree, working over 40 hours a week. What a luxury it would have been if I had a talent to get a scholarship.

KantoSooner
6/19/2014, 10:19 AM
Smoking pot? Not that big a deal. Not smart if you're on an NCAA schollie and yes, you ARE breaking a law (at least in this state), but essentially minimal moral turpitude.
Throwing your GF down a flight of stairs? Even if she'd been pushing your buttons and you were pissed off? No bueno. You simply don't do that.

Widescreen
6/19/2014, 10:37 AM
Do NOT need him! OU can get anyone they REALLY want. If a player is kicked off another team, there is usually more problems than just the ones they listed.
But what he if was an awesome trumpet player and wanted to play in the band?

olevetonahill
6/19/2014, 10:42 AM

LMFAO

badger
6/19/2014, 10:44 AM

Didn't ya hear? They cut down membership so they probably won't take him either :P

BoulderSooner79
6/19/2014, 10:54 AM

Or of causing one to slip away - one of them there double edged sword deals. Sounds pretty unlikely as it would depend on getting some kind of transfer waiver and I don't see why that would happen. Bottom line is it would be a Bob Stoops call as he would have a better feel on how quickly this guy could learn and how it would impact team chemistry.

badger
6/19/2014, 11:39 AM
To anyone that wants a receiver with a lot of red flags and trouble with the law, I have a NSFW video for you:

lvzWhlX9TKs

Once again, NSFW

Eielson
6/19/2014, 12:30 PM
I'd be okay with something like this if he enrolled at OU and stayed out of trouble for a year (without a scholarship) before joining the team. No real risk on our end, and he doesn't escape punishment. Not happening, though.

KantoSooner
6/19/2014, 12:49 PM
hell no, its not happening. The only reason he wants to come to OU is that Pinkel is tired of his **** and he needs another high profile program to go to in order to buff the scum off his resume so he can go make $10 mill a year in the league. I'm thinking if he's forced to sit a year, he'll stay home, work out with a private trainer (paid for by some agent) and enter the draft warts and all next spring. Lower numbers but he's still a millionaire by next summer.

BoulderSooner79
6/19/2014, 01:56 PM
To anyone that wants a receiver with a lot of red flags and trouble with the law, I have a NSFW video for you:

lvzWhlX9TKs

Once again, NSFW

That was the one recruit where I disagreed with Stoops from the get-go. Fortunately, he was so bad he never made it to campus. (what was his name?)

I'm sure if somehow DGB ended up on OUr team, we would all support it since he would have passed the Stoops' filter. But I think all the points brought up here would be input for that decision along with others we don't know about. Unless there is something big we don't know, I'd put the odds very close to zero this happens.

badger
6/19/2014, 01:58 PM
That was the one recruit where I disagreed with Stoops from the get-go. Fortunately, he was so bad he never made it to campus. (what was his name?)

Josh Jarboe... and he did make it to campus, at least to make that video (was shot in the old athletic dorms -- you can see the Big 12 school logos in the brick wall background)

BoulderSooner79
6/19/2014, 02:03 PM
Josh Jarboe... and he did make it to campus, at least to make that video (was shot in the old athletic dorms -- you can see the Big 12 school logos in the brick wall background)

Right. Still a head scratcher to me that we didn't pull his offer when he brought a gun onto his HS campus. There would have been no acceptable explanation for that had I been coach. But outside Jarboe, I'd put the Stoops filter up against any other coach in the country.

stoopified
6/19/2014, 03:00 PM
hell no

8timechamps
6/19/2014, 06:58 PM

I can't believe there are still Sooner fans that put winning above all else. I guess we were both a little surprised in this thread.

REDREX
6/19/2014, 07:05 PM
No----He had his chance-----Sounds like he really likes the weed

BoulderSooner79
6/19/2014, 07:56 PM
I can't believe there are still Sooner fans that put winning above all else. I guess we were both a little surprised in this thread.

I'm more surprised that someone assumes a guy that has been booted from another team equates to winning.

Wishboned
6/19/2014, 09:24 PM
I personally don't even want him around the team. No distractions. Team chemistry is a delicate thing, and everything is going good for the team now.

opksooner
6/19/2014, 09:53 PM
Did he apologize and say "I'm so sorry.....sniff sniff"?

B effing S. We don't need anyone........repeat....anyone, so much that we have to take a chance on the disruption this would cause.

Bad egg. Let him sleep in the bed he made for himself.

[/self righteous indignation]

BoulderSooner79
6/19/2014, 10:46 PM
This was the topic of today's football brainiacs. The writer basically says (and I believe) that this would be a Stoops decision and he's earned the right to be supported on that. I think 90+% of fans would support Stoops if he brought in DBG and the other 10% would really support him, but keep their "I told you so" handy. But I disagree with this guys conclusion that it is a low-risk/high reward proposition. I think it is high-risk/high reward. If DGB comes in, he is coming in to start and that is taking away some other player's chance that has worked hard and done things the right way. Certainly that player won't be happy, but hard to know how it would affect the whole team.

Curly Bill
6/19/2014, 11:30 PM
I'm more surprised that someone assumes a guy that has been booted from another team equates to winning.

Ding...ding...ding!!!

swardboy
6/20/2014, 09:43 AM
He ditched us first by choosing Missouri. "You can come to Oklahoma and win championships, or go somewhere else and we'll still win championships." Must have been those mind-numbeing SEC chants...

badger
6/20/2014, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I also can't believe that some people think they'll get away with assaulting women after breaking into a residence. (http://www.komu.com/news/text-messages-shed-light-on-dgb-burglary-assault-allegations-55423/)

I'm not just talking about DGB but his girlfriend too:

In the texts exchanged between the female victim and Green-Beckham's girlfriend, his girlfriend stated: "Dorial was wrong in every way and you have every right to be furious. I'm not sticking up for him but football really is all he has going for him and pressing charges would ruin it for him completely...without football he really does have nothing...he wouldn't make it in a real job."

His girlfriend also went on to tell the female victim, "I understand how upset you are. I am too - he drug me out by my neck and hurt me too...we just need to move quickly on this before he's arrested and before his warrant is public. He will be kicked out of Mizzou and the[n] not qualify for the draft next year. The coaches talked to me and explained to [m]e how serious this is and there's no time to waste at this point."

The female victim has decided to not press chargers, telling Columbia Police Department: "she was afraid of the media and community backlash since Green-Beckham is a football player of the University of Missouri and is possibly going to be in the NFL draft soon...she was afraid of being harassed and having her property damaged just because she was the victim."

I know I joked about him walking on earlier. The more I remember why Mizzou dismissed him, the farther away from OU I want him. Send him to Canada

8timechamps
6/20/2014, 03:14 PM

Correct. Would he be the best WR on the roster? Probably. Would that guarantee victory? Nope.

Eielson
6/20/2014, 05:37 PM

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/auburnvillager.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/18/618b0f46-8f58-11e3-a7cc-0017a43b2370/52f3cdabf1f8c.image.jpg

Mazeppa
6/20/2014, 08:20 PM
Former Missouri WR Dorial Green-Beckham's 2014 future isn't settled

By Nick Bromberg June 19, 2014 12:00 PM

There has been a lot of speculation, but Dorial Green-Beckham's plans for 2014 haven't been finalized.

Green-Beckham, the No. 1 recruit in the Rivals class of 2012 out of high school, was dismissed from Missouri in April after he was indefinitely suspended from the team for a violation of team policies. Green-Beckham allegedly assaulted a female earlier in April and was arrested on January 10 for being a passenger in a car that had a pound of marijuana in it. He wasn't charged in either incident.
Since he was a sophomore in 2013, when he had , Green-Beckham has three options. He can sit out the season in anticipation of the 2015 NFL draft, like what Tyrann Mathieu did in 2012 after being dismissed from LSU before the season.
He could transfer to an FCS school, where, with no eligibility issues, he could play immediately, or he could transfer to another FBS school and sit out the season before playing college football again. If he went the FBS route, he could also apply for a transfer waiver to play immediately, but given the circumstances of his dismissal from Missouri, a waiver would be unlikely.
All three scenarios have been brought up. Eastern Illinois, an FCS school, was once mentioned as a possible destination and recently, Oklahoma has been raised as a possible destination. According to NewsOK.com, there's "at least marginal interest" in Green-Beckham joining the team. SoonerScoop.com also said it was aware of the situation and monitoring it closely.
Green-Beckham to Oklahoma would make sense, given that the school recruited him out of high school and Norman, Okla.'s relative proximity to Springfield, Mo., where Green-Beckham grew up. But interest is different than a commitment from either side. And because OU is obviously an FBS school, there'd be transfer red tape either way, whether Green-Beckham applied for a waiver or not.
What is certain? That Green-Beckham won't be returning to Missouri. His younger brother, wide receiver Darnell Green, is enrolling at Missouri in January, but when he was asked last week at a media availability if there was a chance that Green-Beckham would ever return to Missouri, Missouri athletic director Mike Alden replied with a simple "No."