PDA

View Full Version : VY retires...He thinks

swardboy
6/16/2014, 07:14 AM
...Wonder if the HOF is calling...

Vince Young considers himself retired

By The Sports XchangeJune 14, 2014 9:43 PMThe SportsXchange

Vince Young (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7752/) apparently has come to grips that his NFL career is over.The former Tennessee Titans (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/ten/) starting quarterback told an Austin, Texas, radio station on Saturday that, though he has not filed papers with the league, he considers himself retired as an NFL player unless a ironclad offer comes from out of the blue.

"It's definitely official I think in my book," Young told KXAN. "Unless we get a great opportunity, something guaranteed ... other than that I've started moving forward in some things."I love the NFL, will love the game always, but I'm kind of moving forward and moving on right now."

Young was named to two Pro Bowls while compiling a 30-17 record as the Titans' starting quarterback. He believes a spat with then-Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher damaged his reputation."I had my ups and downs," Young said. "I made the mistake of getting in to it with my coach and that kind of hurt me a whole lot. When you go to different teams, they already have a bad perception of you. When that's out there, there's nothing you can do."

Young spent the 2011 season with the Philadelphia Eagles as a backup to Michael Vick (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5448/) and since then has struggled to find work.He has been in camp with the Buffalo Bills, Green Bay Packers and, most recently, the Cleveland Browns. But none of those worked out.Young said in April that he is planning to work for the University of Texas, where he played college football, if an NFL job is not there for him.

picasso
6/16/2014, 09:36 AM
If you deal with a bad perception from others, step up and change it. There is something you can do.
He was a great college player. Quite a testament that we beat him so often.

BoulderSooner79
6/16/2014, 09:46 AM
If you deal with a bad perception from others, step up and change it. There is something you can do.
He was a great college player. Quite a testament that we beat him so often.

We were 2-1 in games against VY. We shut them out in '04 and they would go on to win 20 straight after that one. He played well against us in '05, but they would have won that game with any QB on their roster that year. We were in full rebuilding mode and they had their best team of the Brown era and maybe ever.

But I still in awe of the game he had against USC - definitely game of the decade material. Great college player.

badger
6/16/2014, 10:14 AM
I think part of the reason he can't latch on anywhere is because of his veteran status. It's not just a pay thing (rookies are cheaper than veteran salaries), but also an upside thing. Vince isn't going to get faster, isn't going to get more experienced and does not have time to adapt and grow. He is a poor win-now choice.

In retrospect, I wish the Packers kept him, as we could have used a semi-viable backup as we were without Wodgers Discount Doublecheck for a few weeks last season

hawaii 5-0
6/16/2014, 03:52 PM
So long Radio. I won't miss ya.

5-0

8timechamps
6/16/2014, 04:43 PM
If by "retiring", VY means "I won't get another shot at playing for an NFL team", then I would agree.

Wishboned
6/16/2014, 04:46 PM
So what do you think his new job at UT will be? I'm thinking either something in the janitorial services, or maybe a tutor.

badger
6/17/2014, 09:47 AM
If by "retiring", VY means "I won't get another shot at playing for an NFL team", then I would agree.

I'm retired from the NFL too ;)

Right now I'd say he and Tebow have equal chances at getting to quarterback in the NFL again, so yeah probably a good move to move on

So what do you think his new job at UT will be?

The same thing that ex-stars do at other schools, likely --- Wear school colors at a donor/booster fundraiser event where they pose for pictures and sign autographs. Because UT has sucked lately, UT fans would yell "Shut up and take my money" to get to relive the glory days of VY running all over USC in 2005 (2006 I guess technically) and such.

KantoSooner
6/17/2014, 11:02 AM
Radio is right to be excited about the opportunities opening up in front of him. Crossing guard springs to mind, though the responsibility and stress might be taxing. Donning a wet suit and snorkel, he could monitor the Red River entering Lake Texoma for infiltrating sharks. Pizza delivery is out because Chase Daniel has that all nailed down. Coloring instructor in a day care (he almost always stays inside the lines). Perhaps with a bit of training, a burrito folding job at World Burrito might be appealing.
Yes, truly, there's a world of opportunity for a man of his intellect and discipline staring Radio squarely in the eyes.

Pricetag
6/17/2014, 01:12 PM
Janine, a person of your qualifications would have no problem finding a top-flight job in either the food service or housekeeping industries.