PDA

View Full Version : Gonna git a smoker...

rock on sooner
6/12/2014, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty good at smoking with my grill but have decided to get
a genuine smoker for me for Father's Day. Just want a family type,
gas type (to keep a good temp). Rilly love the smoked flavors.....

Y'all got any thoughts/suggestions?

bluedogok
6/12/2014, 08:47 PM
It all depends on budget, I use an offset and burn sticks.

salth2o
6/12/2014, 09:10 PM
Lots of variables to consider. I use an offset wood burning Lyfe Tyme smoker. There are some vertical smokers, but I have NO experience with them. I only use a gasser to grill.

bbq-brethren.com may be a good resource for research.

achiro
6/13/2014, 08:12 AM
If your budget allows, get a Traeger. Super simple to use(my wife uses it more than I do), flavor will compete with any other smoker, and you can cook, smoke, or grill on it. The only downside is that you have to have electricity to use it.

boomersooner001
6/13/2014, 07:37 PM
Check out www.bellfab.com

olevetonahill
6/13/2014, 07:46 PM
I've had one since I was a Baby
http://www.therightperspective.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Baby-With_Bong.jpg

SanJoaquinSooner
7/31/2014, 01:43 AM
Hope you get it soon. Summer's half over.

rock on sooner
7/31/2014, 04:21 PM
Hope you get it soon. Summer's half over.

Got it...I grill outside year round & I'll do the same with the smoker....
I have a stone patio just off my deck so when I shovel snow that gets
it, too....

Curly Bill
7/31/2014, 07:55 PM
Smoking's more fun when it's kinda cold out. I actually do a lot more in the fall/winter than I do in the summer when it's too damn hot to wanna be outside messing with it.

rock on sooner
7/31/2014, 08:17 PM
Smoking's more fun when it's kinda cold out. I actually do a lot more in the fall/winter than I do in the summer when it's too damn hot to wanna be outside messing with it.

Best thing about doing it in the summer is that it REQUIRES
a copious amount of barley pop to complete the process!

Curly Bill
7/31/2014, 08:18 PM
Best thing about doing it in the summer is that it REQUIRES
a copious amount of barley pop to complete the process!

Good counterpoint!

Soonerwake
8/15/2014, 12:08 PM
I have become a smoker addict. I love the prep work, getting up early to get the fire going, the smell, and yes, the several beers I have to drink during the process.

I had a guy build me a vertical smoker out of an old propane tank. He did an awesome job with custom grills, plenty of adjustable air vents, high end hinges, etc. After about 4 uses, I figured out the perfect settings for the vents, wood, etc, and I can keep the temp between 220-240 without much effort. Of course, I still go out to check it every 30 minutes or so, and squirt the meat with a little apple juice every hour.

I think the temp is adjusted easier in the vertical as opposed to the offset (have a buddy with an offest), but maybe it's just mine.

Have fun..

85Sooner
8/15/2014, 02:20 PM
BGE..........