PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Men's non-conference schedule

8timechamps
6/5/2014, 08:54 PM
OU released the men's non-conference schedule (you can read the entire story here (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209517133)), and there are a few tough games. The highlight of the release is OU's inclusion in the Battle 4 Atlantis Thanksgiving weekend. The Sooners being included in this tournament wasn't really news, as it was reported late last year they would be there, but it's worth noting the other 7 teams:

UCLA, North Carolina, Florida, G'town, Wisconsin, Butler and UAB.

Hopefully the Sooners get UAB in their opening game ( :) ). Regardless, it's going to be an early season test for our boys.

The only real games of note include a meeting with Washington (in Las Vegas, MGM Grand Showcase) and Missouri coming to Norman.

Here's the schedule:

2014 OU Men's Basketball Non-Conference Schedule (all times Central)

Date
Opponent
Site
Time
TV

Nov. 7
Washburn (Ex.)
Norman
7 p.m.
TBD

Nov. 11
SW Oklahoma State (Ex.)
Norman
7 p.m.
TBD

Nov. 16
Southeastern Louisiana
Norman
2 p.m.
TBD

Nov. 19
at Creighton
Omaha, Neb.
TBD
TBD

Nov. 23
Northwestern State
Norman
2 p.m.
TBD

Nov. 26
vs. TBD #
Nassau, Bahamas
TBD
TBD

Nov. 27
vs. TBD #
Nassau, Bahamas
TBD
TBD

Nov. 28
vs. TBD #
Nassau, Bahamas
TBD
TBD

Dec. 5
Missouri
Norman
TBD
TBD

Dec. 13
at Tulsa
Tulsa, Okla.
TBD
TBD

Dec. 16
Oral Roberts
Norman
7 p.m.
TBD

Dec. 20
vs. Washington %
Las Vegas, Nev.
TBD
TBD

Dec. 22
Weber State
Norman
7 p.m.
TBD

Dec. 31
George Mason
Norman
TBD
TBD

# Battle 4 Atlantis
% MGM Grand Showcase

Eielson
6/5/2014, 11:08 PM
Interesting. It's a pretty tough non-conference schedule, but there may not be any top 25 teams. A lot of good mid-majors.

8timechamps
6/6/2014, 05:31 PM
Interesting. It's a pretty tough non-conference schedule, but there may not be any top 25 teams. A lot of good mid-majors.

Outside of the Battle 4 Atlantis, it should be very "winnable". Also (and as you said) there are some solid mid-majors to keep the team challenged until conference play starts.

The only downside to a schedule like this is RPI wins. I don't see OU being a bubble team next year, so it shouldn't be the difference between making the field, or not, but it could affect seeding. An easy way to offset that is to win them all.

Sooner95
6/6/2014, 08:55 PM
I guess we are assuming Creighton takes a big drop? And they might, but I still think they'll be good. Mizzou coming into town will be good, and the Atlantis Tourney, that could be a great one for us. Love the turkey time tourneys!

Sooner95
6/6/2014, 09:00 PM
One glaring omission... All-College Tourney. Whens the last time we didn't participate?

8timechamps
6/12/2014, 05:43 PM
I guess we are assuming Creighton takes a big drop? And they might, but I still think they'll be good. Mizzou coming into town will be good, and the Atlantis Tourney, that could be a great one for us. Love the turkey time tourneys!

I'm not sure about Creighton, but I suspect they'll be a handful for the Sooners. They have historically fielded solid squads, and while they may not be as good as last year, they'll probably be decent.

I didn't even realize the All College Tourney wasn't on the schedule until you pointed it out. That is surprising. I wonder what happened, as it only seemed to require one or two lowly teams (outside of OU). Must not have been profitable.

tycat947
6/12/2014, 09:30 PM
One glaring omission... All-College Tourney. Whens the last time we didn't participate?

Last year. osu men and osu women were the All-College last year.