PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 doles out the cash - $220 mil overall, $23 mil to OU

badger
5/30/2014, 02:33 PM
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/collegefootball/big-schools-share-record-million-revenue/article_3f4696bc-7e04-519c-8cf8-dfa5d6230a18.html)

I think our TV deal with ESPN lasts through 2024-25, unless we renegotiate due to expansion or whatever. The n00bs TCU and WVU still get a lesser share, as we helped them get out of the dreaded Big East (now AAC) and even helped with WVU's exit fee.

I'm warming up to WVU as a member. They have good fans and travel OK for being such a distant partner.

I fully expect these increasing revenues to become part of "exploit the kids" argument for unionization, paying players, etc. And really, since they aren't using this money to lower ticket, concession or merchandise prices, let 'em.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
5/31/2014, 05:41 PM
I like WVU, too. My sister was a Dean there until a few years ago. And her husband is from there. They are at Stephen F Austin now.

MichiganSooner
6/1/2014, 08:00 AM
Anyone know what the members of the Big 10, ACC, SEC, and Pac 12 receive? Interesting point about using league revenue to lower ticket prices. How can we apply pressure to make it happen but keep the stadium full and books balanced?

8timechamps
6/1/2014, 03:55 PM
Anyone know what the members of the Big 10, ACC, SEC, and Pac 12 receive? Interesting point about using league revenue to lower ticket prices. How can we apply pressure to make it happen but keep the stadium full and books balanced?

This is from a Forbes article back in April:

On a per-school basis, the Big Ten does best with $26.5 million per member school from TV deals, tourney play and bowls. But right on the Big Ten’s tail is the Big 12, which collected $26.2 million per member school from those three sources. Further back are the Pac-12 ($24.9 million), ACC ($21.8 million) and SEC ($19.4 million). It’s necessary to note that these amounts don’t represent what the schools actually receive in conference distributions; the conference first takes a piece of the pot to pay for conference-level expenses, and some new or partial conference members receive smaller distributions.

badger
6/2/2014, 09:04 AM
Interesting point about using league revenue to lower ticket prices. How can we apply pressure to make it happen but keep the stadium full and books balanced?

There will be no lower ticket prices until demand demands it (a la college basketball in recent years with too many empty arenas for non-conference games). There will be no pressure from fans unless it involves money, as that's the way college athletics makes decisions these days.

For example, when Nebraska was having an all-out embarrassing showing at Homecoming (against KU I think), the fans walked out en masse at halftime and concession sales tanked to record lows. Nebrasky canned the AD (Steve Pederson) immediately after the game and canned the head coach (Bill Callahan) at season's end.

I was just added that smarky remark to let everyone know I will not be defending college athletic departments when college athletes ask for better medical coverage, full cost of attendance scholarships or other things they don't currently get, because it's not like the money would go to fans like us instead.