PDA

View Full Version : Rams finalizing deal with OG Davin Joseph

Aries
5/27/2014, 08:34 PM
Rams finalizing deal with OG Davin Joseph
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/128762/rams-finalizing-deal-with-og-davin-joseph

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- In search of some veteran depth for their offensive line, the St. Louis Rams are in the process of finalizing a one-year deal with guard Davin Joseph.

Joseph originally visited with the Rams in mid-March as a potential solution for the expected departure of Rodger Saffold. When Saffold's deal with Oakland fell through and the Rams re-signed him to a lucrative deal, interest in Joseph was put on the back burner.

Through that time, the Rams remained open to adding a veteran for the interior, but clearly wanted to see what the draft would yield before adding a veteran inside. They also had expressed interest in Daryn Colledge and mentioned a possible return for Harvey Dahl along the way.

When the Rams came out of the draft with tackle Greg Robinson but didn't draft any more linemen until the seventh round, the need for some experience on the interior became more obvious.

Joseph comes to St. Louis from Tampa Bay, where he went to two Pro Bowls for the Bucs before injuries sidetracked his career. He was a first-round pick in 2006, earning trips to Hawaii in 2008 and 2011. But he suffered a severe knee injury that cost him the 2012 season, and he struggled to get back to his former production last season.

The Bucs released Joseph before free agency in March, saving $6 million against the salary cap. In addition to his visit to St. Louis, Joseph also made stops in New England and Dallas.

For the Rams, the expectation is that Joseph will provide depth behind projected starting guards Robinson and Saffold. Joseph also provides insurance in case left tackle Jake Long is unable to start the season. Long suffered a torn ACL and MCL against Joseph's former team late in the season.

As Long continues his rehabilitation, Joseph, who has played in 100 games (including playoffs), offers an experienced replacement inside who would allow the Rams to shift Robinson or Saffold outside until Long is ready.

Eielson
5/27/2014, 09:38 PM
Nice. He'll definitely get some playing time this year. Saffold and Long are sure to miss a handful of games.

swardboy
5/28/2014, 07:56 AM
...not to mention the fast-track mentoring a two time pro bowler could provide Robinson with. Greg's "only" weakness is pass protection from what I read.

Eielson
5/28/2014, 08:45 AM
...not to mention the fast-track mentoring a two time pro bowler could provide Robinson with. Greg's "only" weakness is pass protection from what I read.

That's true, but I'm hoping Joseph hasn't entered the phase where that's why people sign him. I'd like to think he has a little gas left in the tank.

badger
5/28/2014, 09:10 AM
I have had a lot of fun making fun of the Rams and their recent media circus, but I really, really hope that Sam Bradford and now Davin Joseph too have monster years and put the Seahawks, Cardinals and 49ers in their previous losing places. It would especially be awesome if Sam lit up those arrogant defensive backfields of those three, namely Arizona's Peterson and Seattle's Sherman. Who is more valuable to their team? Who is the man-to-man versus cover 3? Doesn't matter, touchdown Sam Bradford on both your arses.

swardboy
5/28/2014, 01:36 PM
If he does, Boudreaux is the perfect coach to bring it out. Best fit Davin could have found in his situation.

badger
5/29/2014, 08:52 AM
If he does, Boudreaux is the perfect coach to bring it out. Best fit Davin could have found in his situation.

You know who else was perfect for the Rams? Mark Clayton... a receiver who would actually catch what Sam threw his way. *sigh* :(

PrideMom
5/29/2014, 09:18 AM
A couple of years ago he was sitting a few rows down from us, and he is the biggest thing I have ever seen. Perfect build for an offensive guard.

swardboy
5/29/2014, 12:23 PM
You know who else was perfect for the Rams? Mark Clayton... a receiver who would actually catch what Sam threw his way. *sigh* :(

Over 100 yards receiving his first game with the Rams. It just goes to show the crappy receivers Sam has been saddled with except for Amendola. They're really hoping for a miracle improvement in that bunch I guess.

Aries
5/29/2014, 01:23 PM
They're really hoping for a miracle improvement in that bunch I guess.

That was like 3-4 years ago guys. I'm not sure any receivers that were with the Rams then are still with them now.

Eielson
5/29/2014, 05:59 PM

His hands were a good match. Not his knees, though.

Eielson
5/29/2014, 06:15 PM
Over 100 yards receiving his first game with the Rams. It just goes to show the crappy receivers Sam has been saddled with except for Amendola. They're really hoping for a miracle improvement in that bunch I guess.

I'm a little confused as to what you're referring to. Since that time, they've traded up to draft Austin in the top 10, signed Kendrick to a big contract, drafted Quick, drafted Bailey, drafted Givens, and drafted Pettis. I'm also intrigued by the Britt signing this offseason, but I know it's a longshot.

Are you referring to this offseason? Other than signing Britt, they haven't done anything. This group of WR's will get better, but I don't know if I'd call it magic. Givens and Quick are entering their 3rd season, and Bailey and Austin are entering their 2nd seasons. I think the better words to describe their progress will be experience, repetition, etc. Plenty of talent in that group. Somebody just has to step up as a #1 option.

swardboy
5/29/2014, 07:01 PM
Oh I understand the upgrades the Rams have made, and wish them all the success in the world. But the dropped passes have just been killer for Sam and the Rams over the years. Now Bailey is out for the first four games...he seemed to really be coming on last year. I think Quick has been their hopeful #1, but he was RAW coming out of Appalachian State, and was still a work in progress last year. Shottie seemed unable to capitalize on Tavon's talents last year.

But hey, it's a new year, and I'm sure they've all been working their butts off. I saw Sam in a video and he looks BIG...maybe 245 lbs. big.