PDA

View Full Version : OU Regents to vote on stadium enclosure

HateTheWhorns
5/22/2014, 09:23 AM
Anyone have some insight on the proposed plans (other than what is in the article)?

Such as: likelihood of approval, new seating capacity, proposed cost, etc.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10960547/the-university-oklahoma-plans-propose-renovation-project-gaylord-family-oklahoma-memorial-stadium

badger
5/22/2014, 09:28 AM
I don't have any additional info, as the plans haven't been set in stone yet till closer to regents vote, I think.

However, lol butthurt Husker comment on that ESPN article. :D

Let's be honest,l- there is only ONE true Memorial Stadium and it's located in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebrasky is truly a Big Ten program now --- one that relishes its past instead of its future. How sad for them

KantoSooner
5/22/2014, 11:19 AM
My God! There are still Nebbish fans out there? What with sinking into a permanent mid-tier status in the B1G and nationally cruising in the No. 20-35 zone that they'd simply reflect on having lost to OU forever and leave things lie.

8timechamps
5/22/2014, 05:46 PM
Anyone have some insight on the proposed plans (other than what is in the article)?

Such as: likelihood of approval, new seating capacity, proposed cost, etc.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10960547/the-university-oklahoma-plans-propose-renovation-project-gaylord-family-oklahoma-memorial-stadium

Not much has been said officially.

The rumor is that the south endzone will be enclosed, suites upgraded, renovated press box and new weight room. From what I've gathered, the upgrades will not add a lot of additional seating (although, if they do bowl in the lower level, that would seem like it would add a significant amount). The last number I heard was in the neighborhood of $300 million. Based on previous upgrades, I would be very surprised if this wasn't approved. However, Joe Castiglione did say that the fundraising won't being until the board approves the initial plan.

I've also heard rumors that the upgrades will be complete by the start of the 2015 season, but I think that's a pipe dream. Based on what the rumored changes are, it's going to be at least an 12 month project if not longer.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/23/2014, 03:31 PM
Considering they kepp saying htey will not add a lot of additional seating, my guess is that they will not completely bowl in the endzone, more along the lines of connecting them and adding loge seats. At least that's what a lot of the questions were about when i took that survey.

badger
5/23/2014, 04:06 PM
Considering they kepp saying htey will not add a lot of additional seating, my guess is that they will not completely bowl in the endzone, more along the lines of connecting them and adding loge seats. At least that's what a lot of the questions were about when i took that survey.

Maybe they'll add grassy hill areas you can take your kids to when the bleachers get boring.

KantoSooner
5/23/2014, 04:09 PM
Y'know, if you 'bowled' in the South end and capped it with VIP boxes, but left the rest a steep grassy hill, you could not only sit on it during games but bring flattened cardboard boxes and have hellacious 'sledding' when the game got boring.

8timechamps
5/23/2014, 08:47 PM

You're probably correct. I agree, there is no way to bowl in the lower level without adding well over 10k new seats.

champions77
5/26/2014, 10:51 AM
You're probably correct. I agree, there is no way to bowl in the lower level without adding well over 10k new seats.

I just don't know how you can enlarge the weight room and still get everything under the South End Zone? Granted there will be additional covered space with the corners closed in, but with all of the training/meeting rooms, physical therapy, coaches offices. Would not a better plan be to demolish those three dorms across the street and put in "state of the art" facility there, opposite Headington Hall? There it would be a stand alone building and would occupy a high visibility location that could be showcased, instead of hidden under the bowels of the stadium.

tycat947
5/26/2014, 02:12 PM
I just don't know how you can enlarge the weight room and still get everything under the South End Zone? Granted there will be additional covered space with the corners closed in, but with all of the training/meeting rooms, physical therapy, coaches offices. Would not a better plan be to demolish those three dorms across the street and put in "state of the art" facility there, opposite Headington Hall? There it would be a stand alone building and would occupy a high visibility location that could be showcased, instead of hidden under the bowels of the stadium.

I believe Joe C has already announced they plan to renovate the Bud Wilkinson House and move the student academic center there from the north end of the stadium. I do think the plan is to demolish the other two buildings and maybe they will build a new weight room facility in place of one of those buildings.

8timechamps
5/26/2014, 04:14 PM

I wonder if there is a plan to get rid of the "extra" field behind the south endzone. The team rarely utilizes both fields, and it seems like that would be the perfect spot for expansion of the weight room. I suppose the weight room could be relocated, but I would think they would want to keep it attached to the football offices, locker room and training center.