PDA

View Full Version : Noticeable decrease in strength

jkjsooner
5/20/2014, 02:58 PM
Have any of you guys that work out ever experience a noticeable decrease in strength in a short period of time?

I've noticed over the last week or so that I just haven't had my normal level of strength. I did have a stomach virus a little over a week ago so at first I just attributed it to that but now it's been over a week.

Today, I went to the gym and grabbed the 75 lbs dumbbells for bench press. (I've gone up to 85 lbs recently.) I could normally do at least 12 reps for a couple of sets. Today I got in position and could not begin to lift them.

I'll be the first to admit that my workouts (at least non-cardio workouts) have been less frequent the last couple of months but I can't imagine that I could lose that much strength that rapidly. I'm wondering if I should go to the doctor.

Note: I've also noticed a little less stamina while running. I still think I'm in good shape but just not where I was a few weeks ago..

Jacie
5/20/2014, 03:37 PM
When was the last time you had a physical? I suggest a blood test to determine your hemoglobin level. A healthy person will have a level of 14 - 18 and there are all kinds of conditions that can cause it to drop, something that will happen so slowly that you will feel normal until something like what you described.

The fix is simple enough but the consequences of ignoring it are potentially fatal.

hawaii 5-0
5/20/2014, 04:04 PM
Keep that pink and black sock in the drawer.

5-0

jkjsooner
5/20/2014, 04:25 PM
When was the last time you had a physical? I suggest a blood test to determine your hemoglobin level. A healthy person will have a level of 14 - 18 and there are all kinds of conditions that can cause it to drop, something that will happen so slowly that you will feel normal until something like what you described.

The fix is simple enough but the consequences of ignoring it are potentially fatal.

Thanks for the advice. After reading this a did some searching and it does sound a lot like what I've experienced.

bluedogok
5/20/2014, 09:48 PM

I am getting hemoglobin infusions every three weeks after my Bacterial Meningitis in January. I still haven't regained my pre-meningitis strength although it is better than it was in February, I do get tired quicker than before.