PDA

View Full Version : OSU might lose some football practice hours

badger
5/14/2014, 11:48 AM
Due to poor academics may lose practice hours :stunned:
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/osu/source-osu-football-to-lose-two-practice-hours-a-week/article_625a38cf-4bba-562e-bb22-26a760b0ff7d.html)

Why Poke news on a Sooner board? Because offseason.

More from the Poke side of football: Justin Blackmon lost his Jaguars locker to an undrafted rookie. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/dailybreak/justin-blackmon-s-jacksonville-locker-given-to-undrafted-rookie/article_00c71a80-16f7-59a6-9cb4-fa78ff360787.html) Think he's done in Jacksonville?

SoonerDomiNation
5/14/2014, 01:24 PM
Poor sheep humpers.

picasso
5/14/2014, 03:32 PM
Gooners fault.

MichiganSooner
5/14/2014, 04:34 PM
"we were a team on the rise but...but...they told us to study and not practice....gooners got to practice...we didn't have a chance...but...but....our team is smart now and we'll beat you gooners next year...we've got everyone back....we're a team on the rise."

Flagstaffsooner
5/14/2014, 05:12 PM
And the NCAA expects some sort of learning at osu? Silly. silly NCAA.

Dexter Manley cant even read this thread.

olevetonahill
5/14/2014, 05:18 PM
New Job opportunity for VY, He can Tutor the Players .

Flying Scotsman
5/14/2014, 10:04 PM
Wonderlich!

Soonerjeepman
5/15/2014, 08:27 AM
okay...this is sort of related...the APR how in the world is Kentucky basketball not hit with sanctions? The fact they have 3-4 guys every year leave for the pros. I know we had guys in basketball that transferred and that counted against OU.

Oh, and sucks to osu.

badger
5/15/2014, 08:29 AM
OSU nearly got a postseason ban (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/05/14/ncaa-academic-progress-rate-postseason-bans/9082853/) (insert joke about how this wouldn't have mattered in the 90s/early aughts)

Texas A&M men's basketball (912) was the only football or men's basketball team from a "Power Five" conference to fall short of the 930 standard. Two other FBS programs, UTEP (928) and New Mexico State (915), also fell short of 930.

The NCAA APR database is here. (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index5.html)

KantoSooner
5/15/2014, 09:05 AM
Hep my out with this. Poke loses one day PLUS two hours a week of practice? Or two hours per week and one day taken at random? Or just the two hours per week?
Some kind soul please splain it to me. And, yes, I'm too damn lazy to read the ruling. So, if you feel like punishing my laziness, well, I'll just have to live in ignorance of this point.
Just so we're clear on that.

MichiganSooner
5/15/2014, 09:08 AM
"a brief Sunday on-the-field practice session which is used to correct the mistakes that occurred during the just-completed Saturday game will not be held. We always give the players Monday off." Are they saying that the players will not learn their mistakes until Tuesday or are they saying they are going to practice Monday instead of practicing Sunday? Which means they are cheating by not losing a practice when they are supposed to lose a practice.

badger
5/15/2014, 09:53 AM
Which means they are cheating by not losing a practice when they are supposed to lose a practice.
The day off might be more closely monitored to make sure it's academic time. The punishment is supposed to be that football time is replaced with academic time, so instead of daydreaming about football on Mondays off (or getting a DUI en route back from a MNF game in Dallas, hmmm???) they will be daydreaming about classes... maybe i dunno

KantoSooner
5/15/2014, 10:00 AM
If you really lose a day of practice per week, that's between say 15% and 25% of total available practice time, depending on how you calculate it. Which would be huge it it weren't avoided as alluded to above.
It wil be interesting to see how this works out.

8timechamps
5/15/2014, 02:40 PM
Sounds like the NCAA went with a reduced (2 hour) penalty since OSU "was doing so well at getting the issues corrected". While that may seem like nothing, that definitely adds up (especially when your competition isn't being forced to sit out 2 hours a week).

badger
5/15/2014, 02:45 PM
Sounds like the NCAA went with a reduced (2 hour) penalty since OSU "was doing so well at getting the issues corrected". While that may seem like nothing, that definitely adds up (especially when your competition isn't being forced to sit out 2 hours a week).

They were incredibly close to making it, like less than a point away, so I can see why the NCAA had pity on them.

Is it time for a Poke joke? OK then: OSU is not used to putting as much talent in the NFL as they have been lately.

It's relevant because that's why OSU says it's below the acceptable APR --- players preparing for the NFL instead of going to class

MichiganSooner
5/15/2014, 05:51 PM
There were only 10 football teams put on the practice penalty. None from the Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, and SEC. Only 1 team from the Big XII. And from these major conferences none were anywhere close to being penalized. OU scored 165.

Schools with reduced schedule penalty are Idaho, New Mexico State, UNLV, Prairie View A&M (TX), Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Savannah State, Florida A&M, Mississippi Valley State, St. Francis of PA, and Oklahoma State.

Looks like a good 10-team conference!!

MichiganSooner
5/15/2014, 08:47 PM
Just visited orange power on this topic. Some 34 pages; I looked at page 1. "NCAA needs to lighten up the standards; they just raised them." Duhh, your team on the rise is the only one from a major conference not to meet the standards.

8timechamps
5/15/2014, 09:36 PM
They were incredibly close to making it, like less than a point away, so I can see why the NCAA had pity on them.

Is it time for a Poke joke? OK then: OSU is not used to putting as much talent in the NFL as they have been lately.

It's relevant because that's why OSU says it's below the acceptable APR --- players preparing for the NFL instead of going to class

Yeah, I think they were within one or two tenths of being able to round up and be in the clear.

It was really close.

picasso
5/15/2014, 09:53 PM
Suck it Pokes.

oudivesherpa
5/15/2014, 09:56 PM
The study only confirms what everyone already knows, the Pokes don't have very bright players otherwise why would the be going to Pokie State.

Wishboned
5/15/2014, 11:51 PM
"a brief Sunday on-the-field practice session which is used to correct the mistakes that occurred during the just-completed Saturday game will not be held. We always give the players Monday off." Are they saying that the players will not learn their mistakes until Tuesday or are they saying they are going to practice Monday instead of practicing Sunday? Which means they are cheating by not losing a practice when they are supposed to lose a practice.

They'll never learn from their mistakes.

EatLeadCommie
5/16/2014, 12:01 AM
This seems like a pretty big deal to me. It will be interesting to see, however, if they have better legs and peak at the end of the season because of it.

ouwasp
5/16/2014, 12:53 AM
Hmmm...however this is spun, I hope it works out bad for the poke fans. They are the worst part of pokedom.

picasso
5/16/2014, 12:58 AM
This really shoots down some of the most commonly used rhetoric that Pokers use regarding OU football. That the Gooners cheat and the players don't go to class.
All the while ignoring the fact that they nearly got the death penalty under Pat Jones and now this under Spike Tanbed.

badger
5/16/2014, 11:07 AM
Hmmm...however this is spun, I hope it works out bad for the poke fans. They are the worst part of pokedom.

Sat., Aug. 30 vs. Florida State*
Sat., Sept. 6 Missouri State
Sat., Sept. 13 UTSA
Sat., Sept. 20 Open
Thurs., Sept. 25 Texas Tech
Sat., Oct. 4 Iowa State
Sat., Oct. 11 at Kansas
Sat., Oct. 18 at TCU
Sat., Oct. 25 West Virginia (Homecoming)
Sat., Nov. 1 at Kansas State
Sat., Nov. 8 Open
Sat., Nov. 15 Texas
Sat. Nov. 22 at Baylor
Sat. Nov. 29 -or- Sat., Dec. 6 at Oklahoma

I see a lot of losing... bowl game? I only see four likely wins up there (Missouri State, UTSA, ISU, Kansas)

Mazeppa
5/16/2014, 09:18 PM
Gundy (i'm a man i'm forty) takes blame for not so smart players.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10942773/mike-gundy-oklahoma-state-cowboys-accepts-penalty-blame-apr-failings

picasso
5/17/2014, 12:31 AM
So the Poke spin from the top to the fan base is that it's attributed to early NFL draftees and transfers.
Yes, them and New Mexico State.

badger
5/30/2014, 10:20 AM
I should retitle this the "Poke offseason problems" thread :P

OSU freshman running back Devon Thomas accused of armed robbery, shooting to kill (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/osu-freshman-running-back-devon-thomas-accused-of-armed-robbery/article_67221041-2b90-5541-960f-43bc604e96f4.html)

The victim reported the suspects stole his marijuana, money, shoes and clothing and instructed him to leave because they were going to "bust a cap."

dear lordy lordy lord :stunned:

BoulderSooner79
5/30/2014, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure I'd report the weed stolen if I were the victim (unless this happened in Colorado). He might end up being the only one convicted of a crime.

KantoSooner
5/30/2014, 11:00 AM
Was Thomas expected to contribute this year? Or was he just another guy on their roster? Sounds like Poke is far better off with him gone.