PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the end. What happens when an organization (ncaa) loses power...

Alum81
5/12/2014, 04:53 PM
They flex stupidity to show they are still in charge. This is just too much:

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/ncaa-makes-gabe-ikard-sign-affidavit-about-dating-girlfriend-051214

BoulderSooner79
5/12/2014, 05:35 PM
I would have never pegged Ikard as a trouble maker. But first it was pasta, and now this. Hope the program doesn't get the death penalty.

olevetonahill
5/12/2014, 10:06 PM
Stoops should Kick him off the Team, we cant have this kind of crap go on.

BoulderSooner79
5/12/2014, 10:34 PM
It's these character issues that sank his draft stock. He diluted his urine sample, but it still tested positive for pasta.

Wishboned
5/12/2014, 10:49 PM
I would have never pegged Ikard as a trouble maker. But first it was pasta, and now this. Hope the program doesn't get the death penalty.

Can you imagine the trouble we would have been in if the girlfriend had made him pasta?

Death Penalty for sure.

badger
5/13/2014, 08:39 AM
It's these character issues that sank his draft stock. He diluted his urine sample, but it still tested positive for pasta.
http://www.soonerfans.com/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.png

badger
5/13/2014, 08:41 AM
If I ever get put in charge of a church fundraiser, I'm going to suggest college football potluck.
It will have two items that will appeal to local fans: NCAA-not approved pasta, donate $5 to be reinstated and OSU fan turkey legs (or boxed chicken so that mommy can feed it to you)

KantoSooner
5/13/2014, 10:22 AM
I was striving for something snarky to say. Something that would make the NCAA look stupider and more biased and petty. And then it struck me that I couldn't. Sometimes the truth itself is unsurpassable.

Quite serioiusly, the last person working for the NCAA who had a shred of decency, self-respect or integrity left long ago.

Boomer.....
5/13/2014, 11:56 AM
This thread is full of sad and win.

KantoSooner
5/13/2014, 12:39 PM
A legal philosopher (I forget who) once commented that laws should be very carefully written and enacted so that they only address necessary things, in a clear and logical way. That seems obvious, but his point was that if laws become trivial and stupid, respect for law in general and obedience to law in general will suffer to the detriment of everyone.

The NCAA is a perfect example of this. Picayune rules and draconian punishment for their hyper-technical breech has resulted in cases like Ikard's 'seconds' being treated on a par with players being paid but not caught until after graduation. College sport in general would have been better off had the NCAA never existed and we'd just relied on simple common sense.

badger
5/13/2014, 12:59 PM
i don't think the ncaa is totally at fault with pastagate or with girlfriendgate. It sounds like an overzealous OU compliance guy wanted to be able to write on his daily report "found and corrected 50 potential violations" so that OU wouldn't replace him the next time NCAA breathes down our necks.

I don't fault the compliance guy if that's actually what happened. OU athletic department jobs are probably well-paid with cushy offices with free football tickets to boot

KantoSooner
5/13/2014, 01:07 PM
Well, we'll disagree.
What if Landry Jones took a couple team mates home for holidays during his college days? Let's set aside the travel issues and say they drove with everyone chipping in for gas and snacks.
But, when they got there, Dad cooked steaks? And what if those steaks were el primo NY Strips. Argentinian, aged beef costing about $40 a pop? And if they served really excellent cabernet (let's assume they were of age) and had chocolate and cognac for dessert? Should the NCAA get their knickers in a twist over the amount spent on dindin?
It seems they spend their time on technicalities while ignoring major violations to the point where there is not a fan base in the country who wouldn't rise as one to lustily cheer at public executions of NCAA employees.
It's time for the NCAA to go.

Aries
5/13/2014, 01:46 PM
I think what baffles me is that the NCAA (I presume) has no rule against dating someone because they are a football player. And what jurisdiction do they have over girlfriends anyway?

There's no mention that they asked Ikard to sign an affidavit that he wasn't dating her just for Thunder tickets.

That seems to me to be what is outrageous... even if Ikard's gf is doing what they suspect, what rule did she violate?

Maybe I missed something....

BoulderSooner79
5/13/2014, 02:01 PM
I think what baffles me is that the NCAA (I presume) has no rule against dating someone because they are a football player. And what jurisdiction do they have over girlfriends anyway?

There's no mention that they asked Ikard to sign an affidavit that he wasn't dating her just for Thunder tickets.

That seems to me to be what is outrageous... even if Ikard's gf is doing what they suspect, what rule did she violate?

Maybe I missed something....

^This exactly. I would guess most girls are dating football players because they are football players. At least that's have they got to know them so they could start dating. And how is that the players' fault?

KantoSooner
5/13/2014, 02:16 PM
And what is 'bona fide' dating? Must there be, however vague, intent on ultimate matrimony? Must they be having sexual relations? Are they requried to have a certain number of phone calls and kisses and/or hand holdings per day? Must any or all of these be somehow documented?
(p.s. A small, cruel part of me would have loved Gabe to send them a private sex video and say, "I dunno, azzholes, looks like a pretty damn 'bona fide' date to me.")

badger
5/13/2014, 02:35 PM
NCAA: YOU GAVE THAT RECRUIT ICE CUBES AND WATER!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Jason White's Third Knee
5/13/2014, 02:56 PM
Listening to the interview made me giddy.

8timechamps
5/13/2014, 03:46 PM
FYI: Gabe has been dating the same girl since he (they) were in high school. That makes this even more baffling.

BoulderSooner79
5/13/2014, 03:51 PM
FYI: Gabe has been dating the same girl since he (they) were in high school. That makes this even more baffling.

This just proves premeditation.

jkjsooner
5/14/2014, 10:09 AM
i don't think the ncaa is totally at fault with pastagate or with girlfriendgate. It sounds like an overzealous OU compliance guy wanted to be able to write on his daily report "found and corrected 50 potential violations" so that OU wouldn't replace him the next time NCAA breathes down our necks.

I don't fault the compliance guy if that's actually what happened. OU athletic department jobs are probably well-paid with cushy offices with free football tickets to boot

I actually don't blame them for inquiring about what was the status of his relationship with the person who gave him the tickets. I think it is in the best interest of the NCAA member institutions to make sure a booster isn't giving tickets to players.

Having them sign an affidavit was over the line thought.