PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gonna watch the Draft?

olevetonahill
5/8/2014, 06:06 PM
Do we have any players init? what time it start?

8timechamps
5/8/2014, 06:17 PM
Aaron Colvin, Gabe Ikard and Trey Millard are probably the only real draft possibilities. I don't think any of them will be taken tonight (first and second round).

I'll be watching* because I'm a Bronco/NFL fan.

Edit: *it's going to be on my TV, but I won't be sitting on my couch watching intently. I'll watch it here and there.

8timechamps
5/8/2014, 06:19 PM
Jalen Saunders could be another draft guy from OU.

Eielson
5/8/2014, 06:57 PM
Not much to see as far as OU players getting drafted, but this draft could have pretty big ramifications for Sam. The Rams are picking at #2 and #13, so we could see him getting some help at OT or WR. I think at least one of those picks will be going to defense, though. Getting Watkins or Evans could make a big difference right away. Robinson and Matthews would also help, but probably more long term than anything (especially for Robinson)

olevetonahill
5/8/2014, 07:13 PM
Yea Ive got it on but the volume way down, If the Rams dont get Sam some help ima shake my head.
Some of those talking head dudes were sayin the Rams may take JFF

Eielson
5/8/2014, 07:19 PM
Yea Ive got it on but the volume way down, If the Rams dont get Sam some help ima shake my head.
Some of those talking head dudes were sayin the Rams may take JFF

JFF was a smokescreen, and supposedly they told Sam beforehand that it was so he wouldn't be offended. They're looking to trade, but with Clowney off the board, there isn't much demand for that pick right now.

Eielson
5/8/2014, 07:22 PM
They went to A&M and worked out Matthews and Evans (two guys that would help Sam tremendously), and they worked out JFF just to mess with people and not tip their hand. A lot of people fell for it, but I guess it didn't work.

Eielson
5/8/2014, 07:26 PM
Greg Robinson! Powerful run blocker. Still working on his pass blocking, but should be an elite tackle for Sam eventually if he stays with St. Louis. Ray Lewis comparing him to former teammate Jonathan Ogden. Will be LG from day 1, and eventually move out to LT after Long is done.

olevetonahill
5/8/2014, 07:29 PM
Greg Robinson! Powerful run blocker. Still working on his pass blocking, but should be an elite tackle for Sam eventually if he stays with St. Louis. Ray Lewis comparing him to former teammate Jonathan Ogden.

I couldnt see em draftin JFF for anyreason, They have the best a;ready, They need to be trading and buying Help for Sam

Eielson
5/8/2014, 07:38 PM
Buffalo trades up for Watkins? Interesting. We'll have to see what they gave up, but I'm surprised by that.

ouwasp
5/8/2014, 07:44 PM
shoot, I was hoping the Raiders would pick Manziel...great place for him to disappear...

BoulderSooner79
5/8/2014, 07:49 PM
Seems the pre-draft hype was about 10x what it usually is. Maybe I just haven't paid attention before, but it seemed espn had mock drafts and player spotlights going on all the time for weeks. And only summaries for trivial things like NBA and NHL playoffs. I'm betting the NFL keeps this later draft date in the future just to extend the coverage.

Eielson
5/8/2014, 08:01 PM
Evans is off the board to the Bucs. I highly doubt Sam gets anymore help today.

Eielson
5/8/2014, 08:07 PM
OSU's Gilbert off the board at 8...to the Browns. HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry.

That's what I was wanting the Rams to get at 13. I'm officially disappointed with our pick.

olevetonahill
5/8/2014, 08:18 PM
Only reason I still have it on is to watch JFF squirm LOL

Eielson
5/8/2014, 08:30 PM
Rams on the clock. Some people expect a WR, but the only two I think the Rams would pick this high are already gone. Donald could potentially be the pick, otherwise it will be one of the DB's (Dix, Pryor, or Dennard). I want to say it's a safety, but I really don't know.

Eielson
5/8/2014, 08:41 PM
Donald. Woah! Undersized, but very productive, and he'll get after the QB. Rams are going to TERRORIZE QB's. Four first round picks in the D-line, and 6 of the front 7 were top 35 picks. Gregg Williams and Jeff Fisher are going to have a lot of fun this year. No bounty needed. Safety position might not matter, seeing as QB's won't have time to throw very often.

Eielson
5/9/2014, 01:11 AM
Manziel went the Browns! AHAHAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHAHA!

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Eielson
5/9/2014, 01:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8SsCqpa-Lk

Can't miss an opportunity to post this video.

hawaii 5-0
5/9/2014, 02:18 AM
Johnny Foosball goes to the Brownies. They need a shot in the arm.

I hope it lasts a coupla seasons. QBs don't seem to stay around there very long.

I was hoping Sammy W would go to the Rams. One of my favorite players in the draft.

5-0

rock on sooner
5/9/2014, 06:30 AM
shoot, I was hoping the Raiders would pick Manziel...great place for him to disappear...

Cleveland is next best!

badger
5/9/2014, 08:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8SsCqpa-Lk

Can't miss an opportunity to post this video.

Has anyone mentioned (unless I'm mistaken) that the Browns also took Notre Dame's Brady Quinn and Weeden with the 22nd pick, just like Johnny?

Also, jersey #2 was Tim Couch's number when he was the "new" Browns first pick back in the 90s.

I watched as much of the draft as I could. As usual, my Packers took a boring player that will contribute to the team for years rather than a big splash name that makes fans excited... and it's usually the right decision so can't complain

badger
5/9/2014, 08:29 AM
Rams on the clock. Some people expect a WR, but the only two I think the Rams would pick this high are already gone. Donald could potentially be the pick, otherwise it will be one of the DB's (Dix, Pryor, or Dennard). I want to say it's a safety, but I really don't know.
The Packers have had much success taking big, boring linemen (offensive and defensive) in the first round, so good for them for giving Sam more protection. Here's hoping Sam finally makes the playoffs, but that division sure has toughened up since his rookie year

jkjsooner
5/9/2014, 08:36 AM
I watched as much of the draft as I could. As usual, my Packers took a boring player that will contribute to the team for years rather than a big splash name that makes fans excited... and it's usually the right decision so can't complain

That's a little easier to do when you've been set with Favre/Rodgers for the last 20 years. Let's see what happens when the Packers are no longer set at QB. I betcha they'll get suckered into gambling on a flashy QB too.

badger
5/9/2014, 08:44 AM
That's a little easier to do when you've been set with Favre/Rodgers for the last 20 years. Let's see what happens when the Packers are no longer set at QB. I betcha they'll get suckered into gambling on a flashy QB too.

Very true, I've been spoiled since the mid-90s (the early 90s Favre sucked). However, it's not my Packers' fault that basically everyone else passed on Favre/Rodgers. Favre was not a first round pick, and Rodgers was a late first rounder.

It would not surprise me if the Packers went QB fishing in the later rounds the next few days. The backups last year were pretty much all crappy. Since Matt Flynn bailed on us for more money a few years ago, I feel no need to keep him if a cheaper, more viable backup surfaces.

Since71ASooner4Life
5/9/2014, 12:59 PM
I bet here in MoTown, with glaring needs in the defensive secondary we do something really stupid like draft a TE (maybe we'll realize we overpaid for a Pettigrew who cant catch the ball and need to fix that). Hey, we did do something stupid like that. guess that's why we've had the phrase "same old Lions" for the past 30 or 40 years

badger
5/9/2014, 01:14 PM
I bet here in MoTown, with glaring needs in the defensive secondary we do something really stupid like draft a TE (maybe we'll realize we overpaid for a Pettigrew who cant catch the ball and need to fix that). Hey, we did do something stupid like that. guess that's why we've had the phrase "same old Lions" for the past 30 or 40 years

I am amazed at how you guys (mostly, except 2011) continue to escape the playoffs with all your talent. Then, I remember that you have to compete with the Packers two annually in the same division. You're like an SEC team that doesn't stink, but will never have a chance at a championship because you're in the same conference as Bammer.

But yes, it takes a special type of suck to not capitalize on both Billy Sims and Barry Sanders at running back in franchise history.

Eielson
5/9/2014, 01:35 PM
The Packers have had much success taking big, boring linemen (offensive and defensive) in the first round, so good for them for giving Sam more protection. Here's hoping Sam finally makes the playoffs, but that division sure has toughened up since his rookie year

According to Ray Lewis, we just picked Jonathan Ogden and Warren Sapp, so I'm cool with that. This is definitely a playoff team if Sam comes through, but unfortunately the NFC West may be hosting the top 4 NFC teams. Last year I thought the Panthers were the only top 5 NFC team not in the NFC West. I'm thinking Sam and crew have a 10+ win season, but I'm not as optimistic that will be good enough for a playoff spot. On a good note, Fisher and Sam tore up the NFC West two years ago. Last year the opposite happened, but I think having a QB like Sam would have been enough to push us over the top. With the addition of Donald, I think we have the best d-line in the league. Hopefully QBs don't have any time to throw the ball, because our secondary is the one spot that needs to be fixed up.

Ha Ha Dicks is an exciting pick for the 20's. If we were picking in the 20's, I would have been very excited to grab him.

EatLeadCommie
5/9/2014, 01:46 PM
The hype leading up to the draft has pretty much made it unwatchable for me. I go to espn or cbssports.com, and for the last several weeks the main story is that day's mock draft. Really? Who gives a crap! When the top QB in the draft is Blake Bortles, it's not a draft worth a damn. Yet still, day after day, week after week, mock draft. It just gives me another reason to hate the NFL.

And now that they're into the secondary rounds, the story is going to be Michael Sam whether he's drafted or not.

BoulderSooner79
5/9/2014, 02:38 PM
The hype leading up to the draft has pretty much made it unwatchable for me. I go to espn or cbssports.com, and for the last several weeks the main story is that day's mock draft. Really? Who gives a crap! When the top QB in the draft is Blake Bortles, it's not a draft worth a damn. Yet still, day after day, week after week, mock draft. It just gives me another reason to hate the NFL.

And now that they're into the secondary rounds, the story is going to be Michael Sam whether he's drafted or not.

I'm just amazed all this mock draft stuff seemed to trump 2 major pro sports in the middle of play-offs. Not to mention baseball is in full swing too (oops, mentioned it). I know the NFL is king of pro sports, but really? Many of these players won't even have an impact on the league.

badger
5/9/2014, 03:33 PM
the NFC West may be hosting the top 4 NFC teams.
And due to the playoff system, one of them is going to be out, as there's only two wildcards. Here's hoping it's cocky Harbraugh or cockier Carroll!

Ha Ha Dicks is an exciting pick for the 20's. If we were picking in the 20's, I would have been very excited to grab him
I'm as excited for Ha Ha as I possibly can be. Woot woot for Ha Ha

He is going to get taken, for the same reason someone will pick up Timmy Teebz for the preseason then cut him before September... publicity! Many teams don't need it, but there's plenty that want to avoid TV blackouts or would like to increase their season ticket base

BoulderSooner79
5/9/2014, 04:13 PM
He is going to get taken, for the same reason someone will pick up Timmy Teebz for the preseason then cut him before September... publicity! Many teams don't need it, but there's plenty that want to avoid TV blackouts or would like to increase their season ticket base

NTTAWWT :triumphant:

Any possibility Sam gets drafted to help a team on the field?

8timechamps
5/9/2014, 04:58 PM
I ABSOLUTELY loved Manziel going to the Browns. The worst organization in the league, where high draft picks go to die. As usual, he'll be pushed into action early, and won't be ready. If he would have ended up behind a proven veteran that could have molded him, he would have been much better off, but I suspect he'll be crushed in Cleveland.

I was really hoping my Broncos would go out on a limb and take Colvin, but I didn't expect it to happen. Elway & Co. still want two or three DBs, so maybe he'll be around in the third round and we'll get him.

I was surprised Bridgewater went so late, but I like the matchup in their backfield now.

The Lions continue to suck at drafting.

If Davis had still been alive in Oakland, they would have taken Manziel. Instead, they actually made a semi-smart pick with Mack.

8timechamps
5/9/2014, 05:00 PM

He was considered a "fringe" draft guy before he came out, so I'm not sure he'll get drafted at all. I suspect he'll either be a very late round guy or an undrafted free agent in someone's system. If you look at him from a pure football stand point, he's not really big enough to be an end, and is a little too big to play LB.

BoulderSooner79
5/9/2014, 05:17 PM
He was considered a "fringe" draft guy before he came out, so I'm not sure he'll get drafted at all. I suspect he'll either be a very late round guy or an undrafted free agent in someone's system. If you look at him from a pure football stand point, he's not really big enough to be an end, and is a little too big to play LB.

Yes, I know the scouting report. I was just badgering badger about reading the GMs minds. Certainly publicity is a possible motive to draft Sam (as well as a motive not to). But before his big reveal, he was projected anywhere from 4th to 7th round with no one saying he went undrafted. So his "closet" prospects had him drafted to help out on the field, even if just for special teams or depth. I don't see why that's still not the case.

Salt City Sooner
5/9/2014, 05:28 PM
I ABSOLUTELY loved Manziel going to the Browns. The worst organization in the league, where high draft picks go to die. As usual, he'll be pushed into action early, and won't be ready. If he would have ended up behind a proven veteran that could have molded him, he would have been much better off, but I suspect he'll be crushed in Cleveland.

I was really hoping my Broncos would go out on a limb and take Colvin, but I didn't expect it to happen. Elway & Co. still want two or three DBs, so maybe he'll be around in the third round and we'll get him.

I was surprised Bridgewater went so late, but I like the matchup in their backfield now.

The Lions continue to suck at drafting.

If Davis had still been alive in Oakland, they would have taken Manziel. Instead, they actually made a semi-smart pick with Mack.
I bet Johnny's not quiiiite as happy as he was yesterday :D

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10908822/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-faces-season-long-suspension

olevetonahill
5/9/2014, 06:06 PM

Only if they "SUCK" :applause:

olevetonahill
5/9/2014, 06:12 PM
Heh The Browns must really Suck. The Owner said he drafted JFF cause as he was leavin a restaurant. Some Homeless dude told him to. Thats Funny as hell.

Johnny Manziel drafted after Browns owner consulted homeless man, ESPN reports

Eielson
5/9/2014, 07:48 PM
Things just got funnier for Manziel. As much as it sucks to play for the Browns, he was going to be throwing to one of the top WR's in the game. Whoops! He may be facing a ban for all of next season.

olevetonahill
5/9/2014, 08:00 PM
Things just got funnier for Manziel. As much as it sucks to play for the Browns, he was going to be throwing to one of the top WR's in the game. Whoops! He may be facing a ban for all of next season.

Id almost be willing to bet jFF dont play in moren 3 games next year

Soonerjeepman
5/9/2014, 10:15 PM

lol...yes that would have been funny

8timechamps
5/9/2014, 10:30 PM
A little surprised Gabe or Colvin didn't go today, but not too surprised.

Colvin would have been gone by now if not for his injury.

olevetonahill
5/9/2014, 11:02 PM
The best part was watchin JFFMOUTH slide to 22 after running hisouth that if they Dint take him #1 he would make em pay. LOL ****in Punk

BoulderSooner79
5/9/2014, 11:23 PM
A little surprised Gabe or Colvin didn't go today, but not too surprised.

Colvin would have been gone by now if not for his injury.

I actually thought Saunders might have the best chance to slip into the 3rd round. Then I was really surprised that a small, fast guy like Saunders from a small school did get picked. It must have been from pro day workouts, because Saunders made a bunch of plays on the big stage against big time competition.

I'm sure Colvin would have been gone if healthy and maybe Millard too. I hope all our guys get a call tomorrow.

SoCalBigRed
5/10/2014, 03:43 AM

Doesn't look like it.

While a good collegiate player, he is not NFL caliber. All the people have a @#$%-fit because he hasn't been drafted, claiming some huge conspiracy. I don't know... maybe the NFL is tired of getting burned on *hype*?

Tim Tebow was supposed to be the greatest football player of the last half century... where the Hell is he now? Vince Young? Johnny Manziel, #22 to Cleveland? LOL!

No, Michael Sam thought making a splash and announcing he's gay, would raise his draft stock. It got him SEC defensive player of the year, but as the scouts/GMs are saying... he's not that good. He gets buried, or pushed around. He's slow and hardly athletic (for a professional football player).

He'll get some camp invites and wash out, if not practice fodder.

NFL Team Official: Michael Sam Is ‘Not A Really Good Athlete’ (http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/05/09/nfl-team-official-michael-sam-is-not-a-really-good-athlete/)

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 11:21 AM
I actually thought Saunders might have the best chance to slip into the 3rd round. Then I was really surprised that a small, fast guy like Saunders from a small school did get picked. It must have been from pro day workouts, because Saunders made a bunch of plays on the big stage against big time competition.

I'm sure Colvin would have been gone if healthy and maybe Millard too. I hope all our guys get a call tomorrow.

I was close - congrats, Jalen! Glad you transferred over for a couple of years. And boo on the NCAA for dragging their feet for half of last season.

SoonerorLater
5/10/2014, 12:07 PM
Colvin goes with the 14th pick in the 4th. Not bad all things considered. The downside....it's to the Jags.

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 12:27 PM
Colvin goes with the 14th pick in the 4th. Not bad all things considered. The downside....it's to the Jags.

That was my reaction. But a lot can happen to a pro team in a couple of years and Colvin won't be ready to play until '15.

Okie35
5/10/2014, 12:35 PM

The Jags much like the Browns will improve next year. Colvin probably won't play much if not all of next year but he'll be ready in 2015

olevetonahill
5/10/2014, 02:08 PM

Only if they "SUCK" :applause:

MY Humor is wasted on you Cretins!

Eielson
5/10/2014, 02:59 PM
That was my reaction. But a lot can happen to a pro team in a couple of years and Colvin won't be ready to play until '15.

I think Jacksonville's division is pretty tough, but I really like the direction they're headed. I really like the addition of Bortles (a little too high, though), and even more so, I love how they've set him up to succeed. They got their franchise LT in Joeckel last year, and they added two receivers in the 2nd and 3rd round that I really like in Lee and Robinson. It looks like Blackmon may sit out this year, but I think he'll be back the following year, so Bortles should have some dangerous targets to throw to, and a well-protected blindside. Making things even better, Jacksonville isn't set up to succeed for another year, so they'll have another great pick next year.

He should have some good help in the secondary, too. They picked safety with the 33 pick last year as well as a CB in the 3rd. I hope they can add a Clowney/Mack-like pass rusher next year. If Bortles ends up being the real-deal, Jacksonville should be a very formidable team in 2 or 3 years.

Jacie
5/10/2014, 03:20 PM
With Maziel going to Cleveland and the Browns already have Vinnie on the roster, it makes sense that they should sign Tebow, get all of the QB's least suited to the NFL-style game on one team.

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 04:06 PM
MY Humor is wasted on you Cretins!

Was I 'spose to respond or somethin'? I was laughin' too hard...

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 04:10 PM
We're into the 200s on picks now and it's hard to believe Millard is still on the board. But I guess I haven't seen any fullbacks taken, let alone one coming of injury.

I think there are usually 260-270 picks once they do all the compensatory stuff. Still hopeful for Millard and Ikard. D. Williams and Clay may be a stretch the way the RBs are valued this year.

EDIT: and NO horns taken yet? Not even Jeffcoat?

SoonerSeattle
5/10/2014, 04:37 PM
...and NO horns taken yet? Not even Jeffcoat?

Garrett Gilbert got picked up by the Rams. Does he count? :friendly_wink:

bluedogok
5/10/2014, 04:54 PM
The Jags looked much improved when they played here in Denver last season, they had some real good pieces on defense last season and look to be improving on offense. I think they will be much improved this season but probably just miss the playoffs.

bluedogok
5/10/2014, 04:55 PM
We're into the 200s on picks now and it's hard to believe Millard is still on the board. But I guess I haven't seen any fullbacks taken, let alone one coming of injury.

I think there are usually 260-270 picks once they do all the compensatory stuff. Still hopeful for Millard and Ikard. D. Williams and Clay may be a stretch the way the RBs are valued this year.

EDIT: and NO horns taken yet? Not even Jeffcoat?
256 picks this year.

freshchris05
5/10/2014, 05:11 PM
Big XII getting no respect in the draft so far. It's kinda embarrassing. I think the Mountain West has more picks.

Eielson
5/10/2014, 05:32 PM
Corey Nelson to the Broncos!

freshchris05
5/10/2014, 05:39 PM
Trey Millard to the Niners

freshchris05
5/10/2014, 05:55 PM
Lol @ Espn. This Michael Sam **** is ridiculous.

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 05:55 PM
Doesn't look like it.

While a good collegiate player, he is not NFL caliber. All the people have a @#$%-fit because he hasn't been drafted, claiming some huge conspiracy. I don't know... maybe the NFL is tired of getting burned on *hype*?

Tim Tebow was supposed to be the greatest football player of the last half century... where the Hell is he now? Vince Young? Johnny Manziel, #22 to Cleveland? LOL!

No, Michael Sam thought making a splash and announcing he's gay, would raise his draft stock. It got him SEC defensive player of the year, but as the scouts/GMs are saying... he's not that good. He gets buried, or pushed around. He's slow and hardly athletic (for a professional football player).

He'll get some camp invites and wash out, if not practice fodder.

NFL Team Official: Michael Sam Is ‘Not A Really Good Athlete’ (http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/05/09/nfl-team-official-michael-sam-is-not-a-really-good-athlete/)

You were *this close* the being correct.

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 05:59 PM
It will be a kick in the burnt orange ands if Dallas doesn't take Jeffcoat

hawaii 5-0
5/10/2014, 06:00 PM
Sams goes to a Missouri team. Makes sense.

Could be a special teams player. The whole world will be watching. Well, those that follow gay NFL football players anyway.

I hope he succeeds. Lots of gay athletes came before him, just not openly.

5-0

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 06:04 PM
It will be a kick in the burnt orange ands if Dallas doesn't take Jeffcoat

I just figured a legacy player whose father helped win Super Bowls would get a look….

bluedogok
5/10/2014, 06:07 PM
I guess Sam was the only player drafted today.....

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 06:13 PM
I guess Sam was the only player drafted today.....

Look at the bright side. A gay guy gets drafted and the horns get shut out.

SoCalBigRed
5/10/2014, 06:28 PM
You were *this close* the being correct.

"wash out, practice fodder"

7th round? Hahaha...

I'll stand by the gist of it.

bluedogok
5/10/2014, 06:30 PM
Look at the bright side. A gay guy gets drafted and the horns get shut out.
I just don't understand the fuss over him if his sexuality isn't as important as the media claims and then proceeds to give him the Tebow media treatment.

From the Austin American Statesman Bevo Beat....
No Longhorns selected in draft (http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/bevo-beat/2014/may/10/texas-big-12-draft-updates/)

The NFL did not draft a Texas Longhorn for the first time since 1937. The streak had been the longest in the country.

The Longhorns and Kansas were the only two teams in the Big 12 not to have a player selected in the draft’s seven rounds. The draft concluded with rounds four through seven Saturday afternoon.

The only Whorn picked was a former Whorn in Gilbert.

ouwasp
5/10/2014, 06:34 PM
Been out all day...walk in just in time to see Mr Irrelevant picked, then Espn cuts to commercial with the promise to discuss the Sam pick when they return. Thanks for the warning. My television is off.

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 06:55 PM
I just don't understand the fuss over him if his sexuality isn't as important as the media claims and then proceeds to give him the Tebow media treatment.

Because his sexuality is important (and you know that). It's not important from the standpoint of a 7th round pick who has almost zero chance of ever starting, but it's an event that transcends football. You can't blame ESPN for recognizing that - they probably have more non-sports fans viewers right now than anytime in history.

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 07:05 PM
I'm not shocked about the list of OU guys that didn't get drafted, but a little surprised about Ikard. I guess he just isn't quite the physical specimen to make the cut. I thought D. Williams, or Clay might get a call, but they still had some pretty impressive RBs going very late in the rounds, so no big surprise. I thought Bester was a long shot going in, so no surprise there either.

Do you folks think any of these guys get a FA call? Any others?

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 07:10 PM
I'm not shocked about the list of OU guys that didn't get drafted, but a little surprised about Ikard. I guess he just isn't quite the physical specimen to make the cut. I thought D. Williams, or Clay might get a call, but they still had some pretty impressive RBs going very late in the rounds, so no big surprise. I thought Bester was a long shot going in, so no surprise there either.

Do you folks think any of these guys get a FA call? Any others?

I peeked over at Landthieves and they have an active UFA thread. Sounds like most Sooners with even a thread of hope is getting a call.

Ikard,Clay,Jaz Reynolds,Finch even Lynn. I guess I'll follow that thread.

nighttrain12
5/10/2014, 07:21 PM
Lol @ Espn. This Michael Sam **** is ridiculous.

The Rams will first use him as a tight end until he eventually becomes a wide receiver.

Too soon? BA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!

8timechamps
5/10/2014, 07:33 PM
I'm still in a little bit of shock that my Broncos drafted Corey Nelson. I really didn't expect Nelson to get drafted, but am really happy he did and hope he can make the team.

nighttrain12
5/10/2014, 07:41 PM
Michael Sam got drafted but Gabe Ikard didn't? I'm boycotting the NFL this year!

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:10914066

He sure is an 'emotional' guy, isn't he?

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 07:52 PM
I'm still in a little bit of shock that my Broncos drafted Corey Nelson. I really didn't expect Nelson to get drafted, but am really happy he did and hope he can make the team.

I was happy about that one too - I'd forgotten about Nelson for some reason. According to a thread on Landthieves, Brennan Clay will get a FA try with the Broncos too. He's the type of back that would thrill Manning with his technical polish, if he has the physical tools to make it there.

freshchris05
5/10/2014, 08:01 PM
Corey Nelson to the Broncos

Roy Finch to the Patriots

Brennan Clay to the Broncos

Gabe Ikard to the Titans

Jaz Reynolds to the Titans

Gabe Lynn to the Lions

Bronson Irwin to the Seahawks

freshchris05
5/10/2014, 09:52 PM
LaColton Bester to the Texans

Damien Williams to the Dolphins

BoulderSooner79
5/10/2014, 10:08 PM
I'm surprised that Reynolds, Irwin and Lynn are getting a look.

Opinions on which FAs make a team or at least practice squad? Ikard and Clay would be my choices, but there is something about Bester I like and hope Houston does too.

Eielson
5/11/2014, 10:57 AM
I don't know what to think of this pick. I don't approve of Sam's lifestyle, but then again, it sure is better than guys like Janoris Jenkins. If he can play, let him play, but I don't know that I'd want this distraction for a team on the verge of turning the corner.

BoulderSooner79
5/11/2014, 11:56 AM
It's much better for the NFL that Sam was drafted than picked up as a FA. The cynic in me can't help but think this was Goodell calling in a favor from Rams' owner since it takes a lot of heat off Goodell and the league. But if it really went down as reported and it was Fisher's initiative, I have to hand it to him for having the guts to pull it off. Very few coaches have the job security to take on anything that might cause them problems down the road and I don't count Fisher to be among them.

So many fans are commenting that they don't care if a player is gay, they just hate all the media coverage it is drawing. I don't believe them for a second. If they really felt that way, they would be cheering because it takes a gay player or 2 to make a team before we get to that point. There is no way society jumps from something being taboo to no big deal without a pioneering event to make that segue. Then next gay player gets half the coverage or less and then next after that, almost none.

bluedogok
5/11/2014, 01:57 PM
I don't care if a player is gay or not but the overbearing coverage (on all gay issues, not just Sam) is a bit ridiculous, in this day and age it shouldn't be an issue. I think the over the top coverage on anything gay and the constant demonizing of anyone who doesn't feel that it is right is ridiculous and doesn't help the cause of integration of gay people into society. As someone who works in architecture/interiors I have worked with gay people my entire career and see no difference in them as people who are just wanting to live their lives like everyone else. The "special focus" by the media on gay issues seems to be counter to what most of my gay friends wish for, they seem to want the same ability to live just like any other couple can. I feel that gays should be able to marry because since the government decided to be the arbiter of marriage they usurped the biblical meaning of the term. To me there is a difference between "biblical marriage" and "legal marriage", there are plenty of heterosexual couples who are legally married but their relationship bares no resemblance to biblical marriage. I don't feel the "biblical standard" to marriage should apply for all. It seems more like a small subset of activists are the ones wanting the constant coverage of anything and everything gay. There was nothing wrong with the vignette that the NFL Network had on Sam (the draft coverage that I was watching) but to play it over and over and spend the last hour of the draft pretty much only on Sam was a bit too much coverage for my liking because it ignored all the other players who were having their same dreams that Sam had fulfilled by being drafted. To make the story on Sam they shortchanged many others but then I guess that is the norm anymore.

BoulderSooner79
5/11/2014, 02:31 PM
The media coverage is over the top, but predictable and understandable. This was a cultural event and the viewership was outside the normal mix for the day. Your average sports fan had ample access to the channel or power button. I fully expect the media to return to their normal schedule now that the buzz is over and the all the visitors have departed. And the sports fans can resume their hatred of ESPN for the customary reasons (while they still watch :friendly_wink:).

It's great that architects and interior designers are accepted for their work and not judged on their personal lives. I work in the computer industry in silicon valley and it is the same way where I work. That couldn't be farther from reality in the world of professional sports (okay, *men's* professional sports). This is a big deal and the media is just reflecting that fact and not creating it. Outside of the Sam selection, they did cover the 3rd day picks in the way they usually do and that is not much fanfare compared with the first 2 days. The biggest news was who fell to the 3rd day such as SEC QBs and not much info about players expected to get picked here. Pretty typical coverage.

SoonerorLater
5/11/2014, 04:40 PM
Between Sam and "johnny football" these guys just sucked the oxygen out of the room media-wise. While I get the fact the "gay" thing is unique and should be reported, I have a problem with ESPN (in particular) forming a defacto advocacy for Sam and other gay athletes as if there are no other viable views. ESPN should be Joe Friday, "just the facts ma'am" IMO.

8timechamps
5/11/2014, 05:44 PM
I don't know what to think of this pick. I don't approve of Sam's lifestyle, but then again, it sure is better than guys like Janoris Jenkins. If he can play, let him play, but I don't know that I'd want this distraction for a team on the verge of turning the corner.

Funny you should say that.

Alfred Williams (Denver Broncos/CU Buffs) does local sports radio here, and he made a really good point. His co-host was talking about Sam's being a "distraction", and Williams said (paraphrase) "The NFL is already a circus, media is present at nearly every practice and EVERY game (including preseason) are televised. Players are on TV doing interviews all the time and even on TV and radio for commercial purposes. This won't be any more of a distraction than anything else going on the NFL".

He went on to talk about how it could be a distraction at the college level, but in his experience in the NFL (and his relationship with current players), he thinks it's a much bigger deal in the media and general public than it ever will be for the players.

He finished by saying "If he can play, it won't matter who he goes home to..."

I thought that was spot on.

8timechamps
5/11/2014, 05:46 PM
As for the draft, I didn't feel like this draft had much "elite" talent. There's always the guys at the top who are good, but after about midway through the first round, it seemed like the talent really dropped off. I guess we'll see.

BoulderSooner79
5/11/2014, 07:15 PM
As for the draft, I didn't feel like this draft had much "elite" talent. There's always the guys at the top who are good, but after about midway through the first round, it seemed like the talent really dropped off. I guess we'll see.

The general consensus seemed to be this was a very deep draft. But deep doesn't necessarily mean elite and it just may mean they expect a lot of starters from this draft compared to an average draft.

bluedogok
5/11/2014, 09:19 PM
Funny you should say that.

Alfred Williams (Denver Broncos/CU Buffs) does local sports radio here, and he made a really good point. His co-host was talking about Sam's being a "distraction", and Williams said (paraphrase) "The NFL is already a circus, media is present at nearly every practice and EVERY game (including preseason) are televised. Players are on TV doing interviews all the time and even on TV and radio for commercial purposes. This won't be any more of a distraction than anything else going on the NFL".

He went on to talk about how it could be a distraction at the college level, but in his experience in the NFL (and his relationship with current players), he thinks it's a much bigger deal in the media and general public than it ever will be for the players.

He finished by saying "If he can play, it won't matter who he goes home to..."

I thought that was spot on.
I heard that as well and thought it to be a very valid point. One of his Mizzou teammates had a good point in the story on NFLN, he stated that if a bunch of 17-22 year olds can handle it then grown professionals should be able to.

The general consensus seemed to be this was a very deep draft. But deep doesn't necessarily mean elite and it just may mean they expect a lot of starters from this draft compared to an average draft.
Yeah, it wasn't a top heavy draft like a few in recent years have been and like many it seemed like there would be a lot of solid contributors but not many superstars.

Curly Bill
5/11/2014, 10:56 PM
I followed the draft and now that it's been over for a couple of days I can't recall if anyone was drafted except for Manziel and Sam???

badger
5/12/2014, 08:39 AM
I followed the draft and now that it's been over for a couple of days I can't recall if anyone was drafted except for Manziel and Sam???

Gabe Ikard didn't get drafted, NP and I are very disappointed in that, but sadly, a lot of our NFL prospects were dealing with injury issues.

I hope he enjoyed his free draft watch pasta at least :)

nighttrain12
5/12/2014, 10:43 PM
Gabe Ikard didn't get drafted, NP and I are very disappointed in that, but sadly, a lot of our NFL prospects were dealing with injury issues.

I hope he enjoyed his free draft watch pasta at least :)

Someone posted earlier in this thread that after the draft was over, Ikard was signed as a free agent by the Titans.

BoulderSooner79
5/12/2014, 10:58 PM
Someone posted earlier in this thread that after the draft was over, Ikard was signed as a free agent by the Titans.

Yes, along with Jaz Reynolds. Many of the talking heads commented that going the UFA route is actually better than getting drafted in the 7th round. That way, the player can choose the team with a better situation and higher probability to make the team (assuming he gets multiple UFA offers, of course). They had some stats to back that up, but I don't recall them.

EatLeadCommie
5/12/2014, 11:57 PM

I disagree with Williams, although I never played in the NFL so WTF do I know? It just seems to me that there are very clear distractions to a team. Tebow was a distraction. Everywhere he went, it was a circus. It's not simply about the players dealing with media (and answering irrelevant questions about Tebow or Sam has to be annoying), but when they go home and flip on Sportscenter, and all the talking heads are yapping about it. Or they flip over to the news and it's on CNN or MSNBC or FNC. How can that not be a distraction, or at the very least annoying? There is no escape. We as fans and viewers are annoyed by it. Just because they get paid big bucks to play doesn't make them any less likely to be annoyed by it. I suspect some of the veterans can handle the unnecessary attention better than the younger guys, but whenever any part of the cog of the team wheel is out of place (not talking about Sam being gay here, but players being distracted), the whole team suffers. I really doubt the guys give a crap that he's gay. Might make for some awkward silences or towel popping and will most certainly lead to some trash talk after tackles, but the guys just want to play ball and would rather not have to answer questions about something that isn't their business.